Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default winter flyfishing?

Today.s www.fosters.com has a photo of someone winter fly-fishing the Cochecco River. I assume that fly fishing for trout is not legal before April 1, so how does that happen? If I wanted to winter fly-fish the Winnipesaukee River just below the Rt 93 bridge at Exit 20 in Titon-Franklin, or the Mad River in Thornton, is that legally doable by rigging for smallies or something and fish'n the open water between the ice?

Is there a winter fly-fish'n NH know-it-all, on-board this thread?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
RailroadJoe

Good luck on reading the NH fishing rules. That's my problem also. Where can I fish and for what and when. Ask a fish & game person.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
jmen24

Default Not a fishing know-it-all

But here is some info for ya.

This document is only a synopsis of New Hampshire's fishing seasons and does not contain all the pertinent laws or administrative rules. For additional information, please consult the current New Hampshire Freshwater Fishing Digest.

Brook Trout, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout & their Hybrids

Rivers & Streams: January 1 - October 15
Wild Trout Streams: January 1 - Labor Day
Trout Ponds: 4th Saturday in April - October 15
Wild Trout Ponds: 4th Saturday in April - Labor Day
Lake Trout &/or Salmon Waters: January 1 - September 30
All Other Waters: No closed season
Lake Trout All Waters: January 1 - September 30

Landlocked Salmon

4th Saturday in April - September 30 (Pleasant Lake, New London)
All Other Waters: April 1 - September 30
Atlantic Salmon Brood Stock Fishery (along the Merrimack and lower Pemigewasset rivers) Catch & Release October 1 - March 31
1 Fish/Day, 5 Fish/Season April 1 - September 30

NOTE: A special permit is required to participate in this specialized fishery (click here to purchase online for $11). Additional restrictions apply. Click here for information and a map of access points.

Largemouth Bass & Smallmouth Bass

Rivers & Streams: January 1 - October 15; Catch & Release May 15 - June 15
Trout Ponds: 4th Saturday in April - October 15; Catch & Release May 15 - June 15
All Other Waters: No closed season; Catch & Release May 15 - June 15
Rainbow Smelt: See the current N.H. Freshwater Fishing Digest

All Other Species

Rivers & Streams: January 1 - October 15
Trout Ponds: 4th Saturday in April - October 15
All Other Waters: No closed season
Fishing Seasons for Interstate Waters: See the current N.H. Freshwater Fishing Digest

Basically, if you are fishing a river, catch whatever you want, if you are fishing a pond, wait until May. If you are fishing May thru June, make sure you have no live bait on your hook, as F&G will bag you during bass spawning season.

The digest is actually really easy to understand, a tip is not to read the entire thing, unless you participate in every form of fishing and fish all over the state (if this is the case, I would assume that you would have a vast knowledge of all the laws). Think about where you fish, start there to make sure there are no special rules for that body of water, click the link to determine what species are found in the body of water you are fishing and then read the rules that pertain to those species. Other than that, you should have a basic knowledge of fishing laws; license required, use line and rod, no explosives, no electricity, etc.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (02-15-2010)
Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
fatlazyless

...thanks....will make a copy and save it to show to the Fish & Game officer...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
jmen24

Less, if you are following the rules and fishing within the proper times for the species you are targeting, then you do not need to tell the CO the rules they already know. The sooner you stop looking at CO's as someone that you get hassled by, the sooner you will realize how helpful and a resource of information they are. Work with them, not against, they are fully aware of what you can and cannot fish for, just make sure you do as well.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (11-04-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
Looselines

Default Updated regs

I know this is an old post but I wanted to respond to it anyway because it always shows up when I search for tips about winter fly fishing in NH. I wanted to clear up confusion for others that this post might cause when researching winter fly fishing in NH. Below is a link to the the state of NH fish and games website that lists rivers in NH that are open for year round fishing. These can also be found in the NH fishing digest under the special rules section for rivers and streams.

https://wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/trout-streams.html

On a more specific note, the river that the OP is talking about is stocked by the 3 rivers stocking association. They are very influential making it possible to fish the cocheco river, lamprey, and Exeter river year round. So if you find your self enjoying these rivers show them some love.
Looselines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looselines For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (11-04-2018)