Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Blogs Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,347
Default Firewood - not split

Is there anyone locally who sells firewood not split and if so what's the cost of getting it this way?
dpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 4,393
Default

dpg, are you asking about so called "grapple loads", that being logs that are approximately 8' long for the customer to cut and split, or are you looking for wood cut to a specific length (say 16") but not split.
The problem with the latter is that many firewood providers utilize firewood processors that take a log, cut a specific length and then that length is dropped down where a hydraulic ram pushes it through a splitting wedge. This is what my wood guy has for his firewood business.
Good luck in your search.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
dpg, are you asking about so called "grapple loads", that being logs that are approximately 8' long for the customer to cut and split, or are you looking for wood cut to a specific length (say 16") but not split.
The problem with the latter is that many firewood providers utilize firewood processors that take a log, cut a specific length and then that length is dropped down where a hydraulic ram pushes it through a splitting wedge. This is what my wood guy has for his firewood business.
Good luck in your search.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Not to disqualify what you said but every grapple load I have seen or bought has been tree trunks of 18-20 feet long. Lots of work to cut, split, move, stack etc.
Thatís why firewood warms you up at least four or five times!
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 4,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Not to disqualify what you said but every grapple load I have seen or bought has been tree trunks of 18-20 feet long. Lots of work to cut, split, move, stack etc.
Thatís why firewood warms you up at least four or five times!
I agree, lengths can vary. My neighbor gets a couple of loads each year, about 8' or 10' long, probably because of the space to drop the wood and the size of three truck that delivers it.

I thought about doing it a year or two ago, but decided I didn't need to create that much heat, jyst the heat to stack the splits and then burn the wood. 😉

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
jbolty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 212
Default

we used to always get full tree lengths but you need to get it cut and stacked minimum a year out. We would cut to 4' then stack and cut to stove length and split it a year later. Lot of work.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,347
Default

ok thanks all but does anyone know of a person who delivers like this? Lengths or cut to size ready to split doesn't matter either works. What's the approximate cost 10% cheaper than split, 25% 50% ?? I'm aware of the work involved.
dpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 4,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
ok thanks all but does anyone know of a person who delivers like this? Lengths or cut to size ready to split doesn't matter either works. What's the approximate cost 10% cheaper than split, 25% 50% ?? I'm aware of the work involved.
Try these. Got the link via a search for logging near laconia.

https://www.yellowpages.com/laconia-...ging-companies

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #8
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
ok thanks all but does anyone know of a person who delivers like this? Lengths or cut to size ready to split doesn't matter either works. What's the approximate cost 10% cheaper than split, 25% 50% ?? I'm aware of the work involved.
Generally a lot cheaper to buy by the grapple load...I would hazard a guess of 50% cheaper. A grapple load could yield multiple cords depending on how it’s cut and split.
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
Doobs41378
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Generally a lot cheaper to buy by the grapple load...I would hazard a guess of 50% cheaper. A grapple load could yield multiple cords depending on how itís cut and split.


Accurate tree service says it charges 1450 for a grapple load in NH which is about 12 cords it says.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #10
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
Accurate tree service says it charges 1450 for a grapple load in NH which is about 12 cords it says.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Thatís more Than 50% right there and I see seasoned wood going for $300 and up per cord!
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
MBNeckguy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Default

Try James Armstrong (603) 662-2791. He has very reasonable prices and still does all of his cutting and splitting by hand. Unsplit should not be an issue.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
MBNeckguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #12
JEEPONLY
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 25
Default dpg- wood

I have three oak trees I would offer to have taken down for the wood (clean-up included).
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
Doobs41378
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
I have three oak trees I would offer to have taken down for the wood (clean-up included).


By another member here? Thatís a huge liability risk if so.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #14
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBNeckguy View Post
Try James Armstrong (603) 662-2791. He has very reasonable prices and still does all of his cutting and splitting by hand. Unsplit should not be an issue.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The name fits his occupation. That kind of work will make you arm strong. Ha,Ha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #15
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,347
Default

Thank's for the responses...

JEEPONLY - No thanks not my cup of tea...
dpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.16738 seconds