Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Furnace leak ?

Went to down to cellar and noticed a small puddle around furnace. Enough water to wipe-up with a sponge, maybe a 1/2 -3/4 cup water. Doesn't seem to be coming from any pipes but under furnace ?
Just had serviced 2 months ago and all was good.

Furnace has never leaked before but it is 19 yrs old the fuse has been set!
Typical Beckette/Burnham setup. Contractor grade when house was built 19 yrs ago.

Thoughts??? Hoping this is not serious, but if the boiler is cracked, could be a replacement and with Christmas a month away not the greatest time, at least this didn't happen in the middle of Jan or Feb.

Just as a side note, I'm in process of selling house this Spring, and pushed this out from last summer. Note to self, never hesitate a decision, it may come around to bite you !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #2
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Went to down to cellar and noticed a small puddle around furnace. Enough water to wipe-up with a sponge, maybe a 1/2 -3/4 cup water. Doesn't seem to be coming from any pipes but under furnace ?
Just had serviced 2 months ago and all was good.

Furnace has never leaked before but it is 19 yrs old the fuse has been set!
Typical Beckette/Burnham setup. Contractor grade when house was built 19 yrs ago.

Thoughts??? Hoping this is not serious, but if the boiler is cracked, could be a replacement and with Christmas a month away not the greatest time, at least this didn't happen in the middle of Jan or Feb.

Just as a side note, I'm in process of selling house this Spring, and pushed this out from last summer. Note to self, never hesitate a decision, it may come around to bite you !
Sounds like a boiler, is the water coming from the pressure valve, usually there is an open ended pipe attached to these valves. If that is the case, then the fix is relatively cheap. On the other hand, Burnham is notorious for cracked castings. I had two one covered by warranty the second I cut my losses and bought a different boiler. Even the warranty was expensive as they don't pay labor. Sorry for your problems.

Last edited by ITD; 12-03-2016 at 09:41 PM. Reason: put correct valve type in.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
TheProfessor

Sounds like a boiler and not a furnace.

If it continues then time for a service call.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
Barney Bear

Default Water Leak

Had our home hot air furnace serviced this fall. After the service call, a leak was discovered. The service man came back to secure a hose connection that was loosened during the previous visit. No charge, of course, for the return visit.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:25 AM   #5
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Sounds like a boiler, is the water coming from the T+P valve, usually there is an open ended pipe attached to these valves. If that is the case, then the fix is relatively cheap. On the other hand, Burnham is notorious for cracked castings. I had two one covered by warranty the second I cut my losses and bought a different boiler. Even the warranty was expensive as they don't pay labor. Sorry for your problems.

http://f.tqn.com/y/homerepair/1/W/F/5/-/-/T_P_Valve.jpg
Really... that's a relief valve for a domestic water tank NOT a boiler! There IS a difference!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #6
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Really... that's a relief valve for a domestic water tank NOT a boiler! There IS a difference!
Your right, I messed it up. It's a pressure relief valve, I was confusing the btu rating of the boiler valve with T and P valve, which would have too high a pressure value for most boilers. Sorry.

Last edited by ITD; 12-03-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

I had the same issue with my boiler of similar age. Spent $800 on repairs and had other problems soon after. I threw away $800, should have just replaced it to begin with. My new boiler is so much more efficient also. And since it's a second home the peace of mind of not having problems is priceless. Boilers will last more than 20 years but they aren't nearly as efficient as the newer units.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #8
nhcatrider

I just replaced a boiler in a house I bought last summer. The boiler was so old it had a Shell Oil service sticker on it. Had the chimney cleaned at the same time and a huge amount of carbon and soot was removed. The installer figured the previous owner had been running diesel in it all winter last year. The new furnace will pay for itself in about 5 years, less if oil spikes high again. If it's leaking, replace it. It's not worth the hassle of multiple repairs.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
bigdog

Default Furnace leak ?

Furnace leak was a false alarm.... Whew... Dodged that bullet.
Thought at first, I had a cracked boiler liner.

Sort of jumped to a conclusion, without first diagnosing the underlying issue.

Where you see water leaking, it's not necessarily that source.
The water was leaking from gasket on a Circulating valve, dropping down on the motor, running underneath, the onto the floor. Hence, I thought was coming from the boiler itself, not so !

Had HVAC service tech replace two 'football shaped' gaskets, on valve flanges,
and that did the trick.

However, after reviewing the entire system it was determined the expansion tank above furnace had no air. This was causing my pipes to gurgle and bubble sounds I've been hearing. Must have had a leak in expansion bladder ?

Also had to replace a release valve about expansion tank, and also a faucet valve on back of boiler.

Hour and half of labor, plus parts under $200

Case closed for the time being......
Old 11-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #10
ITD

Quote:

The water was leaking from gasket on a Circulating valve, dropping down on the motor, running underneath, the onto the floor. Hence, I thought was coming from the boiler itself, not so !

and that did the trick.

However, after reviewing the entire system it was determined the expansion tank above furnace had no air. This was causing my pipes to gurgle and bubble sounds I've been hearing. Must have had a leak in expansion bladder ?

Also had to replace a release valve about expansion tank, and also a faucet valve on back of boiler.

That's good news, the bladders in those tanks do go, money well spent.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #11
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:

and that did the trick.

That's a fair price. Who did you use?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
noreast

Quote:

and that did the trick.

That's usually the problem. Good for you!
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
bigdog

Biggd,

Work was performed at my other house in Mass. !

Bigdog
Old 11-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

FWIW, I had a relief valve that kept purging on my Becket boiler. I assumed the automatic water feed was bad because I could watch the pressure on the boiler go past the normal 12-15 lbs. I replaced and had the same issue. I have a tankless coil in the boiler and it turned out that the coil had a hole and the pressure from my domestic water supply (50 lbs) was leaking into the boiler water and raising it. Lesson learned. BTW..easily replaced by myself.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #15
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
It's a T and P valve, no difference except maybe the size and shape by manufacturer or application, it's still a t and p valve, really. Here's a hint, hot water heater heats water, a boiler.......... heats water. The T and P valve prevents over pressurization from runaway heat or other malfunction.
That is NOT for a boiler... again that is for a domestic hot water tank!!! Please do not offer information that is wrong! I've been doing this for decades and this kind of misinformation can cause damage and bodily harm!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #16
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
That is NOT for a boiler... again that is for a domestic hot water tank!!! Please do not offer information that is wrong! I've been doing this for decades and this kind of misinformation can cause damage and bodily harm!
You're right, I messed it up and doubled down, fixed it now.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
swnoel (12-04-2016)