Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Strange Encounter

We make the run from Glendale to Welch and back nearly 6 months of the year and encounter our share of idiot boaters. Mostly boats attempting to speed just in front of us coming from the left. So I just slow and let them go by. Today was different and weird and potentially dangerous.

Heading toward Welch just past FL 26 I saw a boat about a mile to our left heading south at about 70 degrees to our course. Clear, sunny with a slight breeze. Watching briefly, I could see that we were at the same 20 mph speed on an intersecting course. We were the only two boats anywhere in sight. The other driver then had about ¾ mile to make a slight adjustment in speed (up or down) or slight adjustment in course so as to unwind the intersecting course. I maintained speed and course and watched the idiot. He continued on a course to directly impact us so when he had closed to about 250’ I did a full stop to let him pass. Only then did he come out of his comma and stop as well about 100’ away.

As he turned and slowly passed to our stern, I offered the usual advice that one does in such situations. Both he and a woman passenger acted as if we were not there and motored on. Maybe he gets right and left mixed up however both in that boat had a long clear look at us. Maybe nearly blind.

The boat was a dark color tri-toon with some canvas protection. Beware.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We make the run from Glendale to Welch and back nearly 6 months of the year and encounter our share of idiot boaters. Mostly boats attempting to speed just in front of us coming from the left. So I just slow and let them go by. Today was different and weird and potentially dangerous.

Heading toward Welch just past FL 26 I saw a boat about a mile to our left heading south at about 70 degrees to our course. Clear, sunny with a slight breeze. Watching briefly, I could see that we were at the same 20 mph speed on an intersecting course. We were the only two boats anywhere in sight. The other driver then had about ¾ mile to make a slight adjustment in speed (up or down) or slight adjustment in course so as to unwind the intersecting course. I maintained speed and course and watched the idiot. He continued on a course to directly impact us so when he had closed to about 250’ I did a full stop to let him pass. Only then did he come out of his comma and stop as well about 100’ away.

As he turned and slowly passed to our stern, I offered the usual advice that one does in such situations. Both he and a woman passenger acted as if we were not there and motored on. Maybe he gets right and left mixed up however both in that boat had a long clear look at us. Maybe nearly blind.

The boat was a dark color tri-toon with some canvas protection. Beware.
Can’t begin to tell you how many times that has happened to us in the exact same area! They either were distracted and didn’t see you or had no idea who had the right of way! Either way you did the right thing!

Dan
Old 09-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
Steve Di.

Default What is up?

I just got back into boating after a 15 year hiatus. This summer, by far, was the worst I have seen on the big Lake for inattentiveness, disregard for the 150 foot rule, and other foolishness. I suspect the very strong economy has allowed certain types of people to join the boating world who weren't in it 15 years ago.

Last edited by Steve Di.; 09-26-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Di. View Post
I just got back into boating after a 15 year hiatus. This summer, by far, was the worst I have seen on the big Lake for inattentiveness, disregard for the 150 foot rule and other foolishness. I suspect the very strong economy has allowed certain types of people to join the boating world who weren't in it 15 years ago.
Judging by the difficulty getting a place to dock/store boats, waiting lists, etc., these days, I think you're right that there are more boats out there. During the recession, fewer boats and those who had boats used them less.
I hear the Mount blowing her horn more frequently too. Earlier this summer: a blast, and about a minute later, another, then a third and quicker now, 5 short blasts. I would love to have heard the conversation in the wheelhouse that day.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (09-27-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #5
jbolty

People seem to be getting more clueless and oblivious all the time.

I do a similar thing when driving in the car and coming up to a 4 way stop. If it's clear another car and I will converge at the stops at about exactly the same time I slow down a little to make it very clear that the other guy got there first and has the right of way. Otherwise 90% chance they will do it wrong anyway.
jbolty is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
Cal Coon

I'm so glad this subject has finally come up. It hasn't been discussed for about 24hrs now...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-27-2019), brk-lnt (09-27-2019), Merrymeeting (09-30-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
Weekend Pundit

Default It's Been A Crazy Boating Season

I have noticed the same thing all of you have. It's been one of the worst years I've seen in regard to a bigger than normal number of Cap'n Boneheads and their companion Cap'n Oblivious.

This past weekend I had a similar experience when I realized an overtaking boat did not/could not see me. He was bow high and I could not see the person at the helm which told me they could not see me either. I didn't have a lot of room to maneuver because I was in the channel north of The Witches. I bent on the throttle to clear The Witches and the bonehead in the overtaking boat did likewise, closing the gap even more quickly than before. I went as far starboard as I could without crossing to the inside of the buoys and hit my horn 5 times. His response?

Nothing.

It wasn't until he passed within 10 feet of my port side that he even noticed I was there. His response then?

He yelled something I couldn't hear. (I could read his lips as he was quite deliberate in his enunciation - "Get the f**k out of my way!" ) He then waved at me, but only with one finger, then rolled more power and went on his way.

I have no idea what his problem was. It wasn't like I was dawdling along at headway speed, but I guess it was my fault he wasn't paying attention. That's the closest I've come to a collision in years. The yahoo in the other boat was totally clueless and apparently didn't give a damn.

Last edited by Weekend Pundit; 09-26-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #8
ApS

Question Distracted Boaters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I'm so glad this subject has finally come up. It hasn't been discussed for about 24hrs now...
It's been six days since discussing auto-piloting among boaters.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=25009
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:29 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit View Post
I have noticed the same thing all of you have. It's been one of the worst years I've seen in regard to a bigger than normal number of Cap'n Boneheads and their companion Cap'n Oblivious.

This past weekend I had a similar experience when I realized an overtaking boat did not/could not see me. He was bow high and I could not see the person at the helm which told me they could not see me either. I didn't have a lot of room to maneuver because I was in the channel north of The Witches. I bent on the throttle to clear The Witches and the bonehead in the overtaking boat did likewise, closing the gap even more quickly than before. I went as far starboard as I could without crossing to the inside of the buoys and hit my horn 5 times. His response?

Nothing.

It wasn't until he passed within 10 feet of my port side that he even noticed I was there. His response then?

He yelled something I couldn't hear. (I could read his lips as he was quite deliberate in his enunciation - "Get the f**k out of my way!" ) He then waved at me, but only with one finger, then rolled more power and went on his way.

I have no idea what his problem was. It wasn't like I was dawdling along at headway speed, but I guess it was my fault he wasn't paying attention. That's the closest I've come to a collision in years. The yahoo in the other boat was totally clueless and apparently didn't give a damn.
I think this post shows reason to have an adequate horn on your boat.
My 2015 Bennington,which,in my opinion is a quality boat, came with a horn that cost $8 on Amazon and is not even loud enough to get attention of my neighbors when I pass their homes and give them a toot.
I replaced it with a 110dbl duel blaster that will almost take you out of your seat.
Bit of an overkill but nice to know it's there for an emergency.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 07:01 AM   #10
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I think this post shows reason to have an adequate horn on your boat.
My 2015 Bennington,which,in my opinion is a quality boat, came with a horn that cost $8 on Amazon and is not even loud enough to get attention of my neighbors when I pass their homes and give them a toot.
I replaced it with a 110dbl duel blaster that will almost take you out of your seat.
Bit of an overkill but nice to know it's there for an emergency.
A second hand-held air horn is also a good accessory. It can be more directional than your fixed horns, and also act as a good backup.

If I were to get another boat on Winnipesaukee, it would probably be a decommissioned fire boat, with the water canon in good working order
Old 09-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #11
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
A second hand-held air horn is also a good accessory. It can be more directional than your fixed horns, and also act as a good backup.

If I were to get another boat on Winnipesaukee, it would probably be a decommissioned fire boat, with the water canon in good working order
Now that is an idea that might beat sign language
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (09-28-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #12
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit View Post

Nothing.

It wasn't until he passed within 10 feet of my port side that he even noticed I was there. His response then...
Once again, we see the value of a 360 degree watch.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:41 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
What does one of those cost? I'm thinking we can do a Winni Forum GoFundMe, and you can go around drilling rule breakers. It's time Winni had some good ole'fashioned vigilantism!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (09-29-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 04:56 PM   #14
ursa minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Head on a swivel constantly checking for “targets”. That’s how I was taught and how all my young helmspersons are too.

That Witches incident sounds a lot like the guy in the “open letter to another captain” post from last year. Some individuals are just special I guess.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #15
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I don't have a rear view mirror on the boat. Guess that I should fix that.

" Alert weaselly bugger bearing 180, ready the aft water cannon"
Old 09-28-2019, 09:54 PM   #16
Descant

Default Were/what to fire

I recall an episode of Ship Shape TV about pirates in the Caribbean. It is almost impossible to fire your shotgun at the engine and be successful. BUT, if you aim for the waterline, you can poke a hole, and with luck, it will come out through the hull under water with two holes as a result, thus disabling the pirate. NEVERMIND. I guess water cannons, balloons, eggs, etc are all forms of assault, and can get you in trouble.
Since most Capt Boneheads just aren't paying attention, perhaps there is an attention grabber?
Ladies?
Old 09-29-2019, 05:11 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Not a single passing boat slowed while going through the Graveyard today. You'd think the 2nd and 3rd one would after we got turned into their path a bit by the wake of the first!

Old 10-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #18
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Not a single passing boat slowed while going through the Graveyard today. You'd think the 2nd and 3rd one would after we got turned into their path a bit by the wake of the first!

It's a dog eat dog world out there. Don't expect people to be nice, or considerate when they don't have to be... When I go through the Graveyard, and someone is already in it coming at me in the opposite direction, I will do whatever they are doing, come down to headway speed, or stay up on plane. Do unto others... However, if I enter it by myself, (in either direction), I always enter it up on plane and will keep it there regardless of what someone else does if they enter it AFTER I entered it first. That's my own little "rule of thumb" for the Graveyard if it's not a heavy traffic day. If people are coming at you in the Graveyard up on plane, you have to do the same to keep (better) control of your boat because you have nowhere to go but straight till you get out of the Graveyard. Simple as that IMHO. The only time you can run into a problem is if you have (heavy traffic), someone going in the same direction as you going through at headway speed, and you come up behind them and are forced to come down to headway speed with them, while the people coming at you in the opposite direction are up on plane. Then you have no choice, but if you are always paying close attn, and looking far ahead, you can avoid that situation altogether by watching what any boats (going in the same direction as you) are doing, and by looking to see how much traffic is coming at you in the opposite direction. And of course, if there is heavy traffic, you also have to be aware of the guy behind you if you slow down for someone in front of you going headway speed. The guy behind you may try to pass you, (you never know), it's a dog eat dog world out there. Just (expect it), and be ready for it... So much for the 150' rule going through the Graveyard... Kind of surprised it's not a NWZ.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 10-01-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #19
Taz

Default Graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

Why go through the Graveyard? I always go around. No need to come off plane for approaching boats, plenty of deep water, alot more room as well.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #20
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Why go through the Graveyard? I always go around. No need to come off plane for approaching boats, plenty of deep water, alot more room as well.
More often than not (at least when we go), there aren't many if any boats coming through. These *seemed* to be turning off but ended up continuing through.