Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
chasedawg

Default Friend got ridiculed for wearing a mask

Not sure people are taking this serious enough. A friend of mine stopped in at Skelley's to buy gas. There were many cars at the pumps so he decided to go inside to get something to eat. While wearing his mask several people at the gas pumps chuckled and ridiculed him. He went inside to get something to eat. It happened again inside the store. The clerk behind the counter laughed. The the individual pointed to the cashier and both started to laugh. Really!! Come on folks. Are people not taking this seriously. Now I haven't seen his mask. It may look like a clown. Or the young employees just didn't care and haven't been educated that there is this bug going around and people should try to protect themselves and others. He did say there were six cars at the gas pumps and five were out of state. We are in Florida and need to stay here a few more weeks. But hopefully when we return and in quarantine for 2 weeks we won't be ridiculed ourselves. Obviously, he decided not to buy gas there. Should not the management of Skelley's talk to their employees and educate them. And maybe they have and this never did happen. Although the event was posted on social media. It should be an interesting Summer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
Marauder (04-24-2020), ursa minor (04-25-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
FlyingScot

In Mass there was a definite swing a couple of weeks ago. Until early April, you looked a tad paranoid with a mask. If people weren't laughing, they were politely smiling to themselves. Now, in many places, you're kind of a jerk without one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Marauder (04-24-2020), SimpleTL (04-25-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Ignorance is bliss...or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Not sure people are taking this serious enough. A friend of mine stopped in at Skelley's to buy gas. There were many cars at the pumps so he decided to go inside to get something to eat. While wearing his mask several people at the gas pumps chuckled and ridiculed him. He went inside to get something to eat. It happened again inside the store. The clerk behind the counter laughed. The the individual pointed to the cashier and both started to laugh. Really!! Come on folks. Are people not taking this seriously. Now I haven't seen his mask. It may look like a clown. Or the young employees just didn't care and haven't been educated that there is this bug going around and people should try to protect themselves and others. He did say there were six cars at the gas pumps and five were out of state. We are in Florida and need to stay here a few more weeks. But hopefully when we return and in quarantine for 2 weeks we won't be ridiculed ourselves. Obviously, he decided not to buy gas
there. Should not the management of Skelley's talk to their employees and educate them. And maybe they have and this never did happen. Although the event was posted on social media. It should be an interesting Summer.
That sort of ridicule shouldn’t happen, but some people are just plain rude....and stupid! I guess if you disagree with someone, it’s fine to make fun of them...very sad. There was a story recently about a pastor who made light of the Coronavirus and went ahead with church services. He was among those listed on the obituary page shortly thereafter. This is serious stuff and needs to be treated as such, mask or no mask.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
DEJ

Default You should have verified first

Believe nothing you read on social media. You should have verified with Skelley's if this happened or not. They are very good folks. Just food for thought.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-23-2020), chasedawg (04-23-2020), Irish mist (04-23-2020), KPW (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
Believe nothing you read on social media. You should have verified with Skelley's if this happened or not. They are very good folks. Just food for thought.
Yes, of course. What was the original source.

Have not seen or heard of any comments positive or negative about masks.

My mask is homemade. I do wear it in most stores out of respect to the employees/cashiers and other customers if any.

I think that I may have already had coronavirus after flying to a trade show in late January. Upon returning I got the worst "cold" that I have had in 40 years.

Note that the first death reported in the USA is now dated February 6, 2020.

"Because neither of the Santa Clara victims had a recent history of travel or contact with COVID-19 patients, the new discovery indicates the virus was likely circulating in the U.S. earlier than thought, at least by early January."

LINK

Or I just had a real bad "cold". Yes, I do get an annual flu shot.

But back to the masks. I see or hear of no comments of disdain for those wearing a mask.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (04-23-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
WinnisquamZ

Just left Shaw’s. Good number customers wearing masks. All employees wearing them. Honestly, it is the only place the wife and I will wear them. Most other stores you have enough room to distance yourself if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #7
Trail Goer

I have yet to come across anyone who started laughing at me or someone else for wearing a mask, we might all feel silly wearing one but it's the world we live in right now. If anything, I get death stares if I don't have a mask on because, I forget to grab one before leaving the house sometimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trail Goer For This Useful Post:
Janet (04-27-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

This is surprising, given the handwritten note on their door about the seriousness. I will see if I can direct Chip Skelley to this thread.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,499 Times in 976 Posts
Default Employee maks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
This is surprising, given the handwritten note on their door about the seriousness. I will see if I can direct Chip Skelley to this thread.
And ask why the employees don't have masks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #10
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I sent him a link to the thread.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:58 PM   #11
DEJ

Quote:
Just curious if you know for a fact the employees don't have masks or taking the word of the OP? Have you been there to witness for yourself? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #12
garysanfran

Default Where I am now...Baghdad-by-the-Bay, Calicornucopia...

The police will give you a $400 ticket for not wearing a mask. You can't get into any store, bank, etc. without one.

My electrician's sister got hit with a $400 fine for talking to her neighbor, from her front yard, without a mask.

A lamp repair shop, in my neighborhood, was fined $500, although he had a "closed" sign on his door, his door was unlocked and the police saw someone exiting with a repaired lamp...How do I know? He repaired my lamp the next day and I went through his unlocked door with the "closed" sign on it.

I had a friend sitting on a beach and a woman confronted her screaming that she needed to be home, the police were called and they made her leave the beach and go home...My question?

What was the other woman doing out?
Old 04-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #13
BrunoSR

I went to True Value in Center Harbor last weekend.

A sign on the door stated, please wear a mask for the safety of our employees.

Sounded reasonable so I went back to my car and got a mask. I put it on and went inside. Not one employee was wearing a mask!

I thought to myself, what about the safety of your customers!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrunoSR For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (04-23-2020), TCC (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #14
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoSR View Post
I went to True Value in Center Harbor last weekend.

A sign on the door stated, please wear a mask for the safety of our employees.

Sounded reasonable so I went back to my car and got a mask. I put it on and went inside. Not one employee was wearing a mask!

I thought to myself, what about the safety of your customers!
Did you contact this business/True Value and report what you witnessed?
Old 04-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #15
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
The police will give you a $400 ticket for not wearing a mask. You can't get into any store, bank, etc. without one.

My electrician's sister got hit with a $400 fine for talking to her neighbor, from her front yard, without a mask.

A lamp repair shop, in my neighborhood, was fined $500, although he had a "closed" sign on his door, his door was unlocked and the police saw someone exiting with a repaired lamp...How do I know? He repaired my lamp the next day and I went through his unlocked door with the "closed" sign on it.

I had a friend sitting on a beach and a woman confronted her screaming that she needed to be home, the police were called and they made her leave the beach and go home...My question?

What was the other woman doing out?
Strange city, Gary. The sea lion s take over the marina, it's OK to defecate and throw old needles in the street, but $400 for not wearing a mask? How do the homeless, for which SF is so famous, pay $400?
Old 04-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #16
Descant

Default The OP has never...

Quote:
Just curious if you know for a fact the employees don't have masks or taking the word of the OP? Have you been there to witness for yourself? Inquiring minds want to know.
(Insert derogatory interjection here) 1. The OP has never been untruthful to me before. 2. If the employees were wearing masks nobody could see them smirking and laughing, nor would they have reason to laugh.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #17
DEJ

Default The OP has no first hand knowledge...

Quote:
(Insert derogatory interjection here) 1. The OP has never been untruthful to me before. 2. If the employees were wearing masks nobody could see them smirking and laughing, nor would they have reason to laugh.
So bottom line is this, the OP has no first hand knowledge if this happened nor do you or I for that matter. Interesting how a business can get a black eye from he said she said post's.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #18
chasedawg

Quote:
Indeed...I agree...since talked to my friend to confirm. Called Skelly's couldn't get an answer
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
DEJ (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #19
SailinAway

In mid March, just as everyone was waking up to the reality of the crisis, I stepped aside to let a customer exit the dollar store, giving her 6 feet of space. She thought that was pretty funny. She made a scary face, wiggled her fingers at me, and said, "I'm going to GET you!!" and passed close to me. Her intent clearly was to make fun of me for thinking there was some kind of crisis going on. Sometimes you just have to ignore ignorance.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #20
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Indeed...I agree...since talked to my friend to confirm. Called Skelly's couldn't get an answer

I also know the person who originally posted on social media. He is as honest as the day is long so why would he make this up? Has he done work for you chasedawg? He does an awesome job.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #21
garysanfran

Quote:
Strange city, Gary. The sea lion s take over the marina, it's OK to defecate and throw old needles in the street, but $400 for not wearing a mask? How do the homeless, for which SF is so famous, pay $400?
Since the hotels are empty, SF is going to "rent" the rooms to house the homeless...Mark Hopkins and The Fairmont have very nice views...Although the leaning Millenniam Tower blocks the southerly vistas. I assume the addicts will be getting room service.

Another absurdity is that The City Dept.of-Morons, just forced a 200-bed homeless shelter on one of the best neighborhoods in the WORLD and on one of the most expensive pieces of property anywhere. The neighborhood fought it like hell and lost.

It's now being evacuated because of the Wuhan Virus spread.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #22
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
In mid March, just as everyone was waking up to the reality of the crisis, I stepped aside to let a customer exit the dollar store, giving her 6 feet of space. She thought that was pretty funny. She made a scary face, wiggled her fingers at me, and said, "I'm going to GET you!!" and passed close to me. Her intent clearly was to make fun of me for thinking there was some kind of crisis going on. Sometimes you just have to ignore ignorance.
“Sometimes you just have to ignore ignorance.” Ain’t that the truth? A few days ago we were picking up a few things at Ollie’s, Sarasota’s answer to Ocean State, and out of nowhere, the cashier announced in a loud, authoritative voice that “this virus thing is a total hoax. I should know because I was a biology major.” Huh? I guess we should have all recognized the voice of authority. As they say....you can’t fix stupid.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #23
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
I also know the person who originally posted on social media. He is as honest as the day is long so why would he make this up? Has he done work for you chasedawg? He does an awesome job.
I find it curious that he took that social media post down, wonder why?
Old 04-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #24
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Now that you mention it, I can't find it either. Very curious....

Old 04-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #25
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Now that you mention it, I can't find it either. Very curious....
I hear ya. I just hope a great local business was not given a black eye from a he said she said post that started all this. I hope the owner can give his side.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #26
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Not sure people are taking this serious enough. A friend of mine stopped in at Skelley's to buy gas. There were many cars at the pumps so he decided to go inside to get something to eat. While wearing his mask several people at the gas pumps chuckled and ridiculed him. He went inside to get something to eat. It happened again inside the store. The clerk behind the counter laughed. The the individual pointed to the cashier and both started to laugh. Really!! Come on folks. Are people not taking this seriously. Now I haven't seen his mask. It may look like a clown. Or the young employees just didn't care and haven't been educated that there is this bug going around and people should try to protect themselves and others. He did say there were six cars at the gas pumps and five were out of state. We are in Florida and need to stay here a few more weeks. But hopefully when we return and in quarantine for 2 weeks we won't be ridiculed ourselves. Obviously, he decided not to buy gas there. Should not the management of Skelley's talk to their employees and educate them. And maybe they have and this never did happen. Although the event was posted on social media. It should be an interesting Summer.
This situation could very well be true, but the biggest issue in buying gas these days is the Virus on the Keyboard and metal dispenser handle for those that pay with a Debit or Credit Card while standing at the pump.

With that said, ALWAYS be sure to either use wipes and/or disposable gloves when using the self service pumps (metal dispenser handles and keyboards).

Dispose of those gloves directly onsite at the time you are 100% done filling your vehicle with fuel. DO NOT take the gloves back into your vehicle as they could be contaminated.

Paying with cash? Think twice as cash is VERY DIRTY and China has claimed that the spending money has been spreading Covid-19. Personally, I believe the credit/debit card "may be" cleaner.

Stay safe and stay healthy to all.....
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #27
Hillcountry

Quote:
If you can’t understand a bit of social sarcasm with a stranger passing you in a store entry, you have a deeper problem...it’s called being human.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #28
8gv

Some of life's situations call for responses best figured later on.

With 20/20 hindsight...

"If you don't like my mask, I can take it off and cough on you..."

Oppression works best with the complicity of family, neighbors and strangers who wish to "rat out" others for their noncompliance.

The mayor of NYC just tried out a tip line for his citizens to use.

If you google "NYC tip line" you will see how it was received.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #29
ApS

Arrow

Quote:
In England, the phenomenon is apparent when one contrasts the city-people with the villagers.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/202...tl-ldn-vpx.cnn
Old 04-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #30
Descant

Quote:
Since the hotels are empty, SF is going to "rent" the rooms to house the homeless...Mark Hopkins and The Fairmont have very nice views...Although the leaning Millenniam Tower blocks the southerly vistas. I assume the addicts will be getting room service.

Another absurdity is that The City Dept.of-Morons, just forced a 200-bed homeless shelter on one of the best neighborhoods in the WORLD and on one of the most expensive pieces of property anywhere. The neighborhood fought it like hell and lost.

It's now being evacuated because of the Wuhan Virus spread.
Amazing. Simply amazing.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:11 PM   #31
garysanfran

Default I am so sorry...

Quote:
Amazing. Simply amazing.
To the City of SF....

I called it a "homeless shelter"

I do apologize...I know it is a "Navigation Center"

Please do not send the police!

I will never, ever refer to it as an "homeless shelter" again!

It's now an empty building on a multi-gazillion $ property ..half-way between the Bay Bridge and AT&T Park on the Embarcadero...Bay front views...With no occupants

I know this is not a Lakes Region issue...But it is a piece of universal knowledge that should be learned from planet lunatic...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-24-2020), Descant (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:58 AM   #32
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

Of course I don't know what happened but Skelley's owner is defending her/himself saying this didn't happen.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:38 AM   #33
JADAQ

I delivered product to Skellys yesterday at high noon. Holy crap! There must have been a minimum of 20 people in that store and not one had a mask and everyone was less than a foot apart waiting in line!
Old 04-24-2020, 06:59 AM   #34
C-Bass

I want to say first off, that I am a big fan of Skelly's. Great people, great food. Been going there for years.
However, since this has begun, I have really avoided going in there. I rarely go out anyway. However, if I do need to get something, I really need to gauge how crowded it is, and it has been crowded lately(which is good for business, I know). I get particularly concerned and will not go in there if I notice an out of state plate in the parking lot. I have never been laughed at for wearing a mask. I am however in the minority in wearing a mask, I have not see any employee wearing a mask either. They also check people out side by side sometime which is uncomfortable. After that happened to me I happen to notice the guy I was just standing a few feet from jump in his mini van with CT plates. So since that happened a few weeks ago, I have not been back. I will return again at some point, its a great store.
As I said before I generally don't leave my property. I do my grocery shopping once a week, other than that I rarely leave the house and have very little face to face human interaction. I am 35, healthy, but, I have seen this virus kill relatively healthy young people, so I am going to my best to limit my exposure. Once cases drop dramatically in NH and surrounding states, I will modify my behavior. Until than I treat everyone including family members as if they are carriers of the disease.
So If someone Skelly's is watching, I would suggest employee's wear face mask, no checking out side by side, and there may come I time when you need to limit the amount of people in the store.
That is my 5 cents..
The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bass For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #35
Chris M

Social ridicule goes both ways. Many folks opting not to wear a mask, instead keeping 6'+ away have also experienced ridicule.

Bullying is as old as time. Just do what you think is best, leave others the heck alone, and don't give an ounce of weight to what strangers think of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris M For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 07:22 AM   #36
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
I delivered product to Skellys yesterday at high noon. Holy crap! There must have been a minimum of 20 people in that store and not one had a mask and everyone was less than a foot apart waiting in line!
Obviously, someone at Skelly’s is not getting the message.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #37
Newbiesaukee

For the paranoid....a NH license is no guarantee that it is not an out of stater spreading disease.

Also, NH license could also be a stater returning from FL. Beware.

This is true but tongue-in-cheek.

As Pogo says “we have met the enemy and it is us”

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 04-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #38
DEJ

Just an FYI, it is not just Skelley's where people and employees are not wearing facemasks and staying 6 feet from each other. I was at Hunters in Wolfeboro a few days ago and no employees were wearing masks, approx. only 1/3rd of shoppers were wearing masks, and no one was staying 6 feet from one another.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #39
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Just an FYI, it is not just Skelley's where people and employees are not wearing facemasks and staying 6 feet from each other. I was at Hunters in Wolfeboro a few days ago and no employees were wearing masks, approx. only 1/3rd of shoppers were wearing masks, and no one was staying 6 feet from one another.
And unfortunately, the longer people keep acting like everything is back to normal, the longer it will take to get things back to normal.

Did anyone read the Laconia Daily Sun today? There’s an article in there about restaurants and the tourist season that is pretty eye-opening. People in the industry do not see how this can be a normal season.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #40
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
And unfortunately, the longer people keep acting like everything is back to normal, the longer it will take to get things back to normal.

Did anyone read the Laconia Daily Sun today? There’s an article in there about restaurants and the tourist season that is pretty eye-opening. People in the industry do not see how this can be a normal season.
I'm not sure that many realize how abnormal this summer will be. I read today that close to 50% of people have cancelled their summer vacation plans, many knowingly losing deposits.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #41
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
For the paranoid....a NH license is no guarantee that it is not an out of stater spreading disease.

Also, NH license could also be a stater returning from FL. Beware.

This is true but tongue-in-cheek.

As Pogo says “we have met the enemy and it is us”
100% Correct - that NH plate may not be a NH native. I swapped to using my girlfriends car (who's a local) after the second time I was cursed out by some fine local folks in a parking lot for being in an out of state car / an out of stater.

So things may not be what they seem....
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #42
FlyingScot

I'm with C-Bass. I love Skelley's, and I would guess from the normally excellent operations that the owner's a good guy. But that does not mean there weren't a couple of dopes at the register or that the owner has done enough on social distancing. Plus, chasedawg and JADAQ are generally reliable correspondents.

So let's hope they get their act together soon--I hope to be in there once or twice a week beginning in May, but I will not if there is no regard for social distancing
Old 04-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #43
CrownRay

You do have to admit - seeing folks in their cars, with the windows all up, wearing a mask when they are completely alone...worth a giggle..
Chris M (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #44
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRay View Post
You do have to admit - seeing folks in their cars, with the windows all up, wearing a mask when they are completely alone...worth a giggle..
Actually no, it isn't.

Disposable masks should be disposed of after you touch / remove them for any reason.
Phantom (04-27-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #45
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
No, I don’t think it’s worth a giggle. Nothing funny about it. We do need to laugh more, but laughing at others in this way is not funny.

Last edited by Newbiesaukee; 04-24-2020 at 06:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-25-2020), JanN (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 05:35 PM   #46
WinnisquamZ

There is no reason what so ever that you need to wear a mask while you are driving. None.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #47
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Quote:
They may be going from one store to another. Removing the mask and putting it back on presents a risk since you could touch your face with contaminated hands when removing or putting the mask back on. Keeping the mask on between stops is probably safer. Everyone needs to be very careful removing masks.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #48
Major

You’ll be surprised to know I haven’t worn a mask and don’t intend to do so. Even in Boston. I was initially taught by our leaders that masks should not be worn! This is a classic example of form over substance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #49
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
You’ll be surprised to know I haven’t worn a mask and don’t intend to do so. Even in Boston. I was initially taught by our leaders that masks should not be worn! This is a classic example of form over substance!

I assume your first sentence is an example of sarcasm.

There is little evidence that wearing a mask (except for certain medical devices) actually protects the wearer. There is more evidence that it might protect others from getting the virus. Newer information has developed that there are definitely asymptomatic carriers who can spread the virus before they themselves know they are sick.

This is the reason for the change in recommendations. It is an action of the individual to help protect others. It is possible as more is learned the guidance will change. That’s how it is supposed to work.

You have the right not to participate.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #50
Major

Quote:
I assume your first sentence is an example of sarcasm.

There is little evidence that wearing a mask (except for certain medical devices) actually protects the wearer. There is more evidence that it might protect others from getting the virus. Newer information has developed that there are definitely asymptomatic carriers who can spread the virus before they themselves know they are sick.

This is the reason for the change in recommendations. It is an action of the individual to help protect others. It is possible as more is learned the guidance will change. That’s how it is supposed to work.

You have the right not to participate.

No sarcasm at all. Had my car serviced at at a local shop today, not one person wearing a mask. There is no evidence at all, and that’s a problem. Quantify for me what the risks are if you wear a mask and if you don’t. . . . You can’t because there is none.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #51
Major

We wear masks for the same reason why we go through a metal detector at the airport. It makes the uninformed feel good.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:10 PM   #52
Not to Worry

Default Wow!

Quote:
We wear masks for the same reason why we go through a metal detector at the airport. It makes the uninformed feel good.

Ok...I am uninformed. Educate me.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #53
Bigstan

Quote:

Just got back from Hannafords in Gilford. Two employees in masks, no one else. Been that way for a while, sometimes masks, most times not. I wear no mask in Boston either, but save a couple NH locals I haven’t been berated yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Major (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 10:18 PM   #54
SailinAway

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
If you can’t understand a bit of social sarcasm with a stranger passing you in a store entry, you have a deeper problem...it’s called being human.
I'm afraid it went beyond humor as she intentionally came within a foot of me as she passed by me. If someone did that to you today I bet you'd have a strong reaction.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:05 PM   #55
Mr. V

Over half the people in public here in Portland are wearing masks, many of then quite fashionable.

Will this be the latest fashion trend?
Old 04-25-2020, 03:21 AM   #56
coolyourjets

Quote:

Your posts seem to regularly imply that if the opinion does not align 100% with your opinion, the person is “uninformed”.

Is a surgeon protecting you or are they uninformed when wearing a mask while performing your surgery? It doesn’t guarantee you won’t get an infection, but it helps. The same applies to our unfortunate situation. Is it perfect? No. But it helps.

You liken this to why we go through a metal detector at the airport. The TSA confiscated about 4400 firearms in 2019. Is it perfect, no. Does it guarantee that some psycho won’t attack a flight? Of course not. But that’s 4400 potentially loaded guns that didn’t make it on to an aircraft. Is it better or is it uninformed?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coolyourjets For This Useful Post:
Diana (04-25-2020), farechofisherman (04-26-2020), Newbiesaukee (04-25-2020), Susie Cougar (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #57
Susie Cougar

As frustrating as I am when I read his posts, it’s really best not to encourage Major to respond. He has already made it very clear that he would sacrifice his own parents for the good of the economy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
PENIVISA (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #58
Merrymeeting

Quote:

Major, how do you explain the apparent discrepancy in your many posts?

On one hand you consistently decry the surrendering of civil liberties and government overreaction.

But at the same time you profess blind allegiance to "our leaders", in particular to one who would have the executive branch granted far more power than it already has.

And I would ask that you read the question as intended. Not as an attack or a challenge to your views. As I've stated before,while I may not agree with many of your posts, I've found them thought-provoking and clearly stated. I just don't understand what appears to me to be this obvious conflict in the views you and several of my friends hold.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #59
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Though Major and I almost never agree in whole, I've found his comments consistent and honest. I'm kinda tired of people criticizing others on this forum—especially with current threads about the forum's tone (define: irony). Disagreement is awesome, but attacks aren't.

As I have stated elsewhere, I think our approach doesn't have to be bipolar—we can help the economy by opening businesses with strict guidelines.

For example, why the heck are golf courses closed? It would be super easy to make that whole system no-contact. And restaurants and small shops? Let's offer outside eating with spaced tables and distance requirements.

I think, like many of the issues in America, the answer is in the middle...but we're so polarized it's hard to find it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (04-25-2020), Hillcountry (04-25-2020), Major (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #60
Hillcountry

Quote:
I'm afraid it went beyond humor as she intentionally came within a foot of me as she passed by me. If someone did that to you today I bet you'd have a strong reaction.
No...I would smile and hold the door for her.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #61
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Golf courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Though Major and I almost never agree in whole, I've found his comments consistent and honest. I'm kinda tired of people criticizing others on this forum—especially with current threads about the forum's tone (define: irony). Disagreement is awesome, but attacks aren't.

As I have stated elsewhere, I think our approach doesn't have to be bipolar—we can help the economy by opening businesses with strict guidelines.

For example, why the heck are golf courses closed? It would be super easy to make that whole system no-contact. And restaurants and small shops? Let's offer outside eating with spaced tables and distance requirements.

I think, like many of the issues in America, the answer is in the middle...but we're so polarized it's hard to find it.

Golf courses, open or closed? A dilemma. My wife and I both love to golf. She is very high risk, and I am high risk.

What's the risk, being outside on hundreds of acres of space? First, we can not walk 18 holes, and unless very flat, even walking 9 holes would be difficult. So we would need a riding cart. Now the question, one or two people to a cart and who is going to disinfect the cart, us before use (wiping all solid surfaces) or a course employee. The flag stick, under new rules of golf, can be left in the hole while putting, but some people want the flag out. Other common areas are the golf ball washing gizmos and of vast importance to my wife, porta potties (bad under any conditions ) And don't sit on a bench if you're walking and need to rest / wait between shots. We also enjoy the company of another couple when playing golf, and their enthusiasm is tempered by him being high risk as well. Social distance could be difficult between 4 of us.

We love golf and we are not germaphobic, but we do have to take reasonable precautions. We will have to wait until things settle down, we see a downward slide on cases, and we can be sure we're not putting ourselves at risk.

Just the musings of an old, decrepit, hi risk, bumbling ol' duffer.

Dave
Old 04-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #62
8gv

Take up fishing.

It's similar to golf but with different swears.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (04-26-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #63
Flylady

Default Mask and spread of C19

Given the increasing discovery that there are many asymptomatic carriers of C-19 the chances that non mask wearing people may be carrying the virus unknowingly and spreading it to others as well as high risk people speaks all the more as to why masks should be worn by all in public places. NH peak is predicted to occur in mid to late May. Why? As more people are exposed from unknowing carriers the more will show up sick at the hospitals in about two weeks after exposure.
Now I am in CA. in a town outside of Los Angeles. Population about 32,000. Number of known cases to date 20 and holding. Mask wearing compliance is 98% and now required by all store workers and patrons.
When I arrive next week in NH I will be wearing a mask whenever I am out after my 14 day quarantine period. Why, not because I may be infected, but I am more concerned about getting infected by people who do not believe they can get sick.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #64
ishoot308

Thanked 4,927 Times in 1,907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
Why, not because I may be infected, but I am more concerned about getting infected by people who do not believe they can get sick.
You do realize a “mask” offers no protection to keep you from getting infected correct?...a mask only keeps you from possibly spreading the virus if you have it...

Dan
Top-Water (04-25-2020), upthesaukee (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #65
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
You do realize a “mask” offers no protection to keep you from getting infected correct?...a mask only keeps you from possibly spreading the virus if you have it...

Dan
You are contradicting yourself. If the mask "only keeps you from possibly spreading the virus if you have it" then the person you would have spread it to was protected...No?

Quite common sense that anything between you and an airborne particle is helpful, not fool proof. Even nose hairs are a form of protection...That's why we have them...Certainly not for the aesthetic value.
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #66
ishoot308

Quote:
You are contradicting yourself. If the mask "only keeps you from possibly spreading the virus if you have it" then the person you would have spread it to was protected...No?

Quite common sense that anything between you and an airborne particle is helpful, not fool proof. Even nose hairs are a form of protection...That's why we have them...Certainly not for the aesthetic value.
No contradiction whatsoever....if you believe a mask helps you, have at it! Psychosomatic benefit is a powerful tool....

Dan
Old 04-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #67
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Corrrect ..... my son wears these everyday in the operating room. {He we}are so sick and tired or all these folks thinking they are protcting themselves. Especially the folks driving around with them and the windows rolled up.

The protocol for really protecting yourself is a lot more than placing a peice of underware with an elasitc band over your nose and mouth.
Yes, I see these “uninformed” people every day on the highway. Wearing a full mask while driving alone in a car....it’s called hysteria and that is NOT healthy!
Old 04-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #68
coolyourjets

Quote:
No contradiction whatsoever....if you believe a mask helps you, have at it! Psychosomatic benefit is a powerful tool....

Dan

So if everyone wears a mask in public, that should slow the spread. While it may not stop me from getting it, it stops you (generally) from giving it to me..and then stops me from giving it to someone else. It’s those that may have it, even unknowingly, that don’t wear a mask or socially distance who create the most risk.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coolyourjets For This Useful Post:
Flylady (04-26-2020), garysanfran (04-25-2020), Mr. V (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #69
Newbiesaukee

Everyone, including Flylady, agree that no masks, except medical devices, provide little, if any, protection for the user. The masks are for the protection of others.

People who choose not to wear masks have no increased risk to themselves but they are putting others at risk because the no-mask wearers may be sick and not know it. People who do not feel sick are able to transmit the virus to others.

This is not opinion. These are facts supported by almost everyone who knows the science.

Most situations in which people stand up for their principles do so at some risk to themselves. And this is admirable.

This is one of those times when each has to decide which principles are worth OTHERS dying for.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #70
garysanfran

Default From The Atlantic...

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...urself/610336/
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #71
ishoot308

Quote:
Everyone, including Flylady, agree that no masks, except medical devices, provide little, if any, protection for the user. The masks are for the protection of others.

People who choose not to wear masks have no increased risk to themselves but they are putting others at risk because the no-mask wearers may be sick and not know it. People who do not feel sick are able to transmit the virus to others.

This is not opinion. These are facts supported by almost everyone who knows the science.

Most situations in which people stand up for their principles do so at some risk to themselves. And this is admirable.

This is one of those times when each has to decide which principles are worth OTHERS dying for.
I don’t think anyone here disagrees with what you are saying.

Do you see any benefit to wearing a mask alone in a car with the windows up while driving?...or alone while in your house?
Old 04-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #72
Newbiesaukee

Quote:

Do you see any benefit to wearing a mask alone in a car with the windows up while driving?...or alone while in your house?
Alone in the house, no.

I can give numerous scenarios with respect to the car, usually related to others, such as going to pick up an elderly relative but you know it is an angels/ head of pin discussion.

And if someone wants to drive with a mask on and the windows up, so what. It does not harm anyone else. Unless, he is going to rob a bank.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #73
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Uses for mask while alone in car

Quote:

Here are responses from 2 in a household with too much idle time:
1) to hide wrinkles and chin hair
2) makes a handkerchief unnecessary in case you need to sneeze
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-25-2020), Newbiesaukee (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #74
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Major, how do you explain the apparent discrepancy in your many posts?

On one hand you consistently decry the surrendering of civil liberties and government overreaction.

But at the same time you profess blind allegiance to "our leaders", in particular to one who would have the executive branch granted far more power than it already has.

And I would ask that you read the question as intended. Not as an attack or a challenge to your views. As I've stated before,while I may not agree with many of your posts, I've found them thought-provoking and clearly stated. I just don't understand what appears to me to be this obvious conflict in the views you and several of my friends hold.

Thanks for the kind words. At least you don’t want to kick me off the Forum like others!

I think I’ve been consistent. After all, I haven’t seen our President wear a mask. All kidding aside, I am willing to bet in his heart-of-hearts that the President wished he didn’t endorse shutting down the economy. Politically, he had to. If he had a do over I am sure he would have done things differently.

By the way, I can love our President and disagree with him on some of his policies. I wouldn’t necessarily like our leaders to be as conservative as I am. There needs to be a little balance. What worries me is that our collective value system has gone way left.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-25-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #75
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

The expenses associated with opening some establishments at 50% capacity is the same expenses as if they were to open at 100% capacity. The problem is that they are only open at 50% capacity. (do the math).
Old 04-25-2020, 06:47 PM   #76
ApS

Exclamation Ignore American Flag on the Label !

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. At least you don’t want to kick me off the Forum like others!

I think I’ve been consistent. After all, I haven’t seen our President wear a mask. All kidding aside, I am willing to bet in his heart-of-hearts that the President wished he didn’t endorse shutting down the economy. Politically, he had to. If he had a do over I am sure he would have done things differently. By the way, I can love our President and disagree with him on some of his policies. I wouldn’t necessarily like our leaders to be as conservative as I am. There needs to be a little balance. What worries me is that our collective value system has gone way left.
Could he have been informed that some masks were manufactured in Wuhan, China?

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...uhan-china.htm
Old 04-25-2020, 09:54 PM   #77
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
The expenses associated with opening some establishments at 50% capacity is the same expenses as if they were to open at 100% capacity. The problem is that they are only open at 50% capacity. (do the math).

They don’t need to run like they do at 100% capacity. Florida ran at 50% capacity for a short while before the stay-at-home order. Aside from the fact that fewer personnel were needed, they offered a limited menu to decrease the overhead. It worked because most people were really interested in the alcoholic beverages.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
MBNeckguy (04-26-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 10:50 PM   #78
gillygirl

Quote:

I think I’ve been consistent. After all, I haven’t seen our President wear a mask. All kidding aside, I am willing to bet in his heart-of-hearts that the President wished he didn’t endorse shutting down the economy. Politically, he had to. If he had a do over I am sure he would have done things differently.

By the way, I can love our President and disagree with him on some of his policies. I wouldn’t necessarily like our leaders to be as conservative as I am. There needs to be a little balance. What worries me is that our collective value system has gone way left.

I think the reason why someone wants to kick you off is because you’re intransigent with regards to your position. Debate includes the possibility that you may persuade the other person to rethink their position. You show no proclivity to that. This is my last response to you because you obviously think you know it all.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:29 AM   #79
Glendale Deli Boy

Default Masks

Quote:

Dan
I felt same way as you when this virus first broke out in January in Hong Kong where I live. After all, that is what the American medical establishment was saying despite the fact that top Hong Kong medical experts and virologists were all advising that everybody wear masks when out and about in the vicinity of other people. All Hongkongers were wearing masks and were not happy that foreign expatriates like myself weren’t following their medical experts’ recommendations on mask wearing. After seeing how this has played out here and in other places my thinking has evolved. I wish I had not listened to the American medical community which was telling all of us to only wear a mask if you were sick.

In my opinion it defies logic that a mask provides zero additional protection from taking in airborne droplets that transmit the virus. Also, I see value in wearing a mask since one could have virus and not know it. It can help protect others. Finally, I’m a guest here so I feel better doing my part.

Eventually all the expats fell into line and now wear masks when at the store, on a bus, walking down the street, etc.

Hong Kong had zero cases today. Hong Kong has had several zero case days in the last couple of weeks and only 4 people have died in four months of the virus. The tiny number of new cases now are of people that recently flew into HK from Europe or the U.S.

Masks are just one tool in this fight but based on my experience in Hong Kong I have zero doubt that the heavy use of masks has helped at least a little bit in keeping COVID-19 under control.

I agree though that wearing a mask inside one’s home or car doesn’t make sense.

It is tragic seeing how this virus has devastated the U.S. 50,000 deaths already and it’s only April. And that’s with all the extreme measures that have been put into place. It didn’t have to be this way. We Americans could have and should have done much better collectively in controlling the the outbreak in the U.S.

Stay safe all. I’m still holding out hope I can get back to my home at the Lake this summer.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Glendale Deli Boy For This Useful Post:
Descant (04-27-2020), Diana (04-26-2020), farechofisherman (04-26-2020), Flylady (04-26-2020), Marauder (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 05:55 AM   #80
Major

So let me get this straight, debating an issue means that I have to turtle my position and adopt my opponent’s. I get it now. Does it work the other way? How many people have I debated changed their position?

This doesn’t make much sense to me. I think the real reason is that you don’t like my positions on issues and that you’d rather not hear them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-02-2020), lakeporter65 (04-26-2020), Seaplane Pilot (04-26-2020), VitaBene (04-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #81
ApS

Wink Here's How Billy Does It...:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
They don’t need to run like they do at 100% capacity. Florida ran at 50% capacity for a short while before the stay-at-home order. Aside from the fact that fewer personnel were needed, they offered a limited menu to decrease the overhead. It worked because most people were really interested in the alcoholic beverages.
How the mask issue is handled in the South and Florida:

https://youtu.be/nTYxDMYKyiI
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
lakeporter65 (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 06:51 AM   #82
smith point boater

Default Back to Golf - for Up

My wife and I love to golf too. We were in Florida at the start of this whole disaster (we've been back a few weeks and have followed all the protocols requested/required). Prior to the stay at home orders in Florida we were able to get in 2 or 3 rounds. This is what one (and we heard others) course did:

- We loaded and unloaded our own bags
- One person per cart unless you were related (husband and wife)
- They tried to only send out 2 somes
- They disinfected carts but I wiped it down again (at least the steering wheel and seats and roof support bars where you tend to grab)
- no rakes in sand traps
- They cut 6-8" pieces of pool noodles and put in the cup and dropped the flag through the opening in the noodle . Your ball would go in the cup but not drop down so you didn't have to touch anything when retrieving the ball after your (1) putt
- No beverage cart (no big deal we brought water etc) and no 19th hole

NH courses could implement these rules and I think we would be fine. The only time I thought there was some risk was going in the golf shop to pay but that could be solved by paying over the phone when you make tee time

Just my 2 cents. We want to play too
The Following User Says Thank You to smith point boater For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #83
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendale Deli Boy View Post

It is tragic seeing how this virus has devastated the U.S. 50,000 deaths already and it’s only April. And that’s with all the extreme measures that have been put into place.
The news I'm surprised has not been analyzed more is the fact that the US represents about 4.5% of the global population, yet accounts for about one third of the Covid-19 cases. Reporting differences? Lifestyle? Whatever the reason, it is strange.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #84
Billy Bob

Quote:
So let me get this straight, debating an issue means that I have to turtle my position and adopt my opponent’s. I get it now. Does it work the other way? How many people have I debated changed their position?

This doesn’t make much sense to me. I think the real reason is that you don’t like my positions on issues and that you’d rather not hear them.

Major Has to be a troll just having fun with you, nobody can actually be as misinformed as this moron
Old 04-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #85
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Major Has to be a troll just having fun with you, nobody can actually be as misinformed as this moron
If I had the name Billy Bob, I don’t think I would be calling anyone else a moron. Just sayin’ 🤓
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-26-2020), ishoot308 (04-26-2020), Major (04-26-2020), Seaplane Pilot (04-26-2020), Top-Water (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #86
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post

Nope, just defending liberty and conservative values.

If someone disagrees with you they’re a moron. That’s an interesting way to debate an issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
lakeporter65 (04-26-2020), VitaBene (04-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #87
Major

Quote:
As frustrating as I am when I read his posts, it’s really best not to encourage Major to respond. He has already made it very clear that he would sacrifice his own parents for the good of the economy.
Just noticed this. If you have taken the time to read any of my posts, you would know that I revere my parents and have nothing but the utmost respect and love for them. What you said isn't true. I wouldn't "sacrifice" anyone. However, . . .

I've been consistent, if you are old or are otherwise compromised, the onus is on you to make sure you do not contract the virus, not everyone else. My mom has COPD, so whether she contracts the Chinese coronavirus or a flu virus, the consequences could be terrible. My dad is a cancer survivor, so he faces similar issues.

Both of my parents would agree that shutting down the economy to deal with essentially a bad flu season is asinine. It should be an individual responsibility to take care of oneself.

I have to ask myself, why are you frustrated with my posts? What about them frustrates you? I am not frustrated by yours or anyone else's posts. I enjoy the debate. You have to come to the realization that there is a huge population out there who do not share your world views on things. Most are silent, but believe me they exist. What is it about the Chinese coronavirus that there could have been another (and perhaps better) way to deal with it? We allow other crises to exist, e.g., the opioid epidemic, and do NOTHING. As sad as it is to read about someone dying from the Chinese coronavirus, it is CRUSHING to read yet another obituary about a 20- something who died.

I don't mind the criticizing and name calling as much as the calls for silencing. That's pretty scary to me.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
farechofisherman (04-26-2020), Joby (04-26-2020), lakeporter65 (04-26-2020), Seaplane Pilot (04-26-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (04-26-2020), TiltonBB (04-26-2020), Top-Water (04-26-2020), VitaBene (04-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #88
Susie Cougar

Major, the problem I have with your posts is that they scare me.
I have always had lung problems since I was a little girl. It was something that I just had to deal with. I always pushed myself hard but I could never keep up with the other kids. As an adult, I suffered from bouts of bronchitis and pneumonia often. But I always pushed myself, and I could run about 20 miles a week, at about a 12 mph pace. I was pretty slow, but I was always motivated to be healthy as I could.
The last 10 years of my life have been horrific. I was struck down with breast cancer and then The next year I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. They said because I lived in a northern climate my vitamin D levels were very very low and if I fell down I was going to break a hip. I was only in my 50s! I was taking drugs that made me viciously ill and told I had to keep taking them if I expected to ever get better. My weight went from 155 pounds down to 95 pounds. I really thought the doctors were going to kill me. They did not seem to be doing anything that was helping me and I just kept getting worse and worse.

When my mother died in 2014, we moved down here. I saw my doctors a couple of times and then I decided that I could not go through what they were putting me through anymore. I was cured of cancer at this time, let me point out.
My husband and I have been separated for 3 1/2 years now and I have been living all alone. During this time my weight has gone back up to 130 pounds and I’m starting to get some strength back in my legs. I work very hard and I can’t believe that I went from running 20 miles a week before this started to not even to be able to stand up anymore.
I ride my bike now and I swim, and I do as many weight lifting exercises that I can.
So when the virus first hit the news, unlike you Major , I took it very seriously. I have worked too hard in the last 10 years to give up now. I feel so i isolated and alone and I turn to the Winnepesaukee Forum for a social contact. I have not left my home in two months now, nor has my son been able to visit me. I feel that this virus should be over now and if we all could have done more at the beginning instead of pretending that our freedoms were being taken away and maybe everybody could’ve been working again by now.
I did not want to bear my soul and discuss my personal problems on an open forum like this, but I guess it has become inevitable because of some of the things I have said and no one knowing who I am.
No one wants things to get back to normal more than I do, I can assure you of that!
Old 04-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #89
Major

Quote:
Major, the problem I have with your posts is that they scare me.
I have always had lung problems since I was a little girl. It was something that I just had to deal with. I always pushed myself hard but I could never keep up with the other kids. As an adult, I suffered from bouts of bronchitis and pneumonia often. But I always pushed myself, and I could run about 20 miles a week, at about a 12 mph pace. I was pretty slow, but I was always motivated to be healthy as I could.
The last 10 years of my life have been horrific. I was struck down with breast cancer and then The next year I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. They said because I lived in a northern climate my vitamin D levels were very very low and if I fell down I was going to break a hip. I was only in my 50s! I was taking drugs that made me viciously ill and told I had to keep taking them if I expected to ever get better. My weight went from 155 pounds down to 95 pounds. I really thought the doctors were going to kill me. They did not seem to be doing anything that was helping me and I just kept getting worse and worse.

When my mother died in 2014, we moved down here. I saw my doctors a couple of times and then I decided that I could not go through what they were putting me through anymore. I was cured of cancer at this time, let me point out.
My husband and I have been separated for 3 1/2 years now and I have been living all alone. During this time my weight has gone back up to 130 pounds and I’m starting to get some strength back in my legs. I work very hard and I can’t believe that I went from running 20 miles a week before this started to not even to be able to stand up anymore.
I ride my bike now and I swim, and I do as many weight lifting exercises that I can.
So when the virus first hit the news, unlike you Major , I took it very seriously. I have worked too hard in the last 10 years to give up now. I feel so i isolated and alone and I turn to the Winnepesaukee Forum for a social contact. I have not left my home in two months now, nor has my son been able to visit me. I feel that this virus should be over now and if we all could have done more at the beginning instead of pretending that our freedoms were being taken away and maybe everybody could’ve been working again by now.
I did not want to bear my soul and discuss my personal problems on an open forum like this, but I guess it has become inevitable because of some of the things I have said and no one knowing who I am.
No one wants things to get back to normal more than I do, I can assure you of that!
I sympathize, I really do. I will share something that a good friend said to me many years ago. The things that you are going through are no more or less profound than the things others go through. I won't trouble you with my things, but they are not trivial. Everyone deals with things at one point of their lives or others.

That said, while I sympathize, and I really do, your approach to solving the problem effects everyone. Your fears, while valid, are just that, fears. My mom has the same fears that you do. However, she deals with them a different way. Your approach caused my son to lose a good paying job. Your approach caused my firm to consider laying off people, and in the history of our firm we have NEVER had those types of discussions. (We decided not to, but if things don't get better quickly, we will have to reconsider. Right now, the only people suffering is the partners.) Your approach caused countless of family and friends to lose lots of money, and in some cases, their businesses. It seems like you are a cautious person anyway, so whether we adopted a shelter in place approach or something else that caused businesses to remain open, my suspicion is that you would have been okay.

You seem like a tough cookie, so I am confident things will work out for you. You have to admit that we cannot base public policies like this based on the fears of a small percentage.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
lakeporter65 (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #90
Flylady

Default Not all masks are equal

Quote:

I strongly disagree that wearing a mask ONLY protects one from infecting others. I have a small supply of N95 masks I plan on using while making my trip back home to NH. They alone are not the only precautions being taken. Unlike in CA. where wearing a face covering are now mandated when in stores or outdoors where 6 feet of separation are not reasonable to obtain, in NH there are no such requirements. In my small town, people have made it very clear that they do not feel the need to wear a mask, however they are very concerned about getting infected by "out of staters". Go figure!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flylady For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #91
Major

Default Face Masks

Just got back from Home Depot (Tilton), BJ's (Tilton) and Shaw's (Belmont). At Home Depot, almost no one, including employees, were wearing masks. At BJ's, I would estimate 40% or so wore masks. At Shaw's although I didn't go into the store, it seemed like everyone entering and leaving the store work masks.

Yesterday while out and about, it appeared to be a normal weekend. While I saw a few people wearing masks, the vast majority did not. Lots of bikers frequenting take out places. Weirs Beach was packed, not necessarily the beach, but the boardwalk. Almost no masks. Meredith seemed packed as well. Almost no masks.

Just an observation, but once the nice weather arrives, it appears that things will get back to normal very quickly, at least in the Lakes Region.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #92
Mr. V

Why aren't people protected by wearing cloth masks?

Perhaps because that doesn't prevent entry of the virus via our eyes.

Add goggles to a mask and you might actually have something that could work.

see, re: eyes: https://www.optimax.co.uk/blog/catch...-through-eyes/
Old 04-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #93
Mr. V

Cover your eyes also.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:35 AM   #94
Susie Cougar

Major, I’m sorry that your son lost his job. My oldest son(45) is without a job now. He was going to fulfill a lifelong dream and walk the Appalachian Trail this year. He quit his job the end of February in preparation for starting his trek after Easter. Not only is he without a job, he does not qualify for unemployment insurance.
I’m glad that your mother is able to deal with her fears better than I am. But she has the benefit of living with your dad so she has someone to talk to which I do not. I feel like I’m in solitary confinement.

At some point I realize that my son who is in Tampa and working will be able to come down and visit me. However, my daughter had arranged a trip to Disney for my birthday at the end of May. My whole family was supposed to be there. Of course this has been canceled for quite a while now. And I do not see how in the near future my children will be able to fly down and see me at any point.
I certainly am glad that there is FaceTime but it is not the same as having real companionship.
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 07:44 AM   #95
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
I think the reason why someone wants to kick you off is because you’re intransigent with regards to your position. Debate includes the possibility that you may persuade the other person to rethink their position. You show no proclivity to that. This is my last response to you because you obviously think you know it all.

I'd be curious to know how many minds are changed here, FB or anywhere else. There are plenty of left leaning people here whose minds ain't changin' either. That is no reason to kick them out. As the members of this forum age, we aren't getting less stubborn
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (04-27-2020), Merrymeeting (04-27-2020), Top-Water (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #96
8gv

The concept of changing others views is interesting.

Some might say one is stuck in the past or stubborn when their points of view seem unchangeable.

I like to use this analogy:

As I drive along the road there are slow pokes in front of me.

There are also maniacs on my bumper trying to get me to go faster.

Each would say that the speed I desire is the wrong speed.

To them I say...

Imagine a world where you must go my speed.

How frustrating and unfair that would be!

Why is it then that you wish to impose your speed wishes on me?

How about this...

You do you and I'll do me.

Maybe we can converse over coffee or tea (or on a web forum) and then depart amicably.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #97
FlyingScot

Quote:
I'd be curious to know how many minds are changed here, FB or anywhere else. There are plenty of left leaning people here whose minds ain't changin' either. That is no reason to kick them out. As the members of this forum age, we aren't getting less stubborn
I don't think it's necessary to change someone's mind on fundamental outlook type stuff. But politics aside, a person who is unable to change his mind on specific issues as new information comes in has my sympathy--that would mean he is unable to learn.

If you like to think of yourself as a thinking person, and your views on things such as disease, economics, politics, family, society, etc have not been changing/evolving over the past couple of months, I'd say either you're not really thinking, or you're not really honest with yourself.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (04-27-2020), Not to Worry (05-02-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #98
gillygirl

Quote:

Have you never taken part in a conversation where someone said something that made you think “hmmm, I never thought of that point before.” I know I have and, while perhaps I didn’t change my point of view, I could see the other person’s point of view better.

I don’t think anyone should be kicked out, unless they’re abusive in some way. I just choose not to engage anymore with some people because they’re close-minded, or sometimes outright lie, and it’s not worth the effort.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #99
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
I'm not sure that many realize how abnormal this summer will be. I read today that close to 50% of people have cancelled their summer vacation plans, many knowingly losing deposits.
I am hearing this same thing.

Luckily I have the lake house, But I also spend time camping in the summer. This year I believe I am going to take the camper to the lake home and store it there, instead of using a storage yard in Ma. to have it close by. The bottom line is I don't see camping being a reality this summer.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #100
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
I guess this will make social distancing a little easier. I guess I'm being a little selfish when I say, I wouldn't mind a slower summer season at the lake.