Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
MWSP

Default Wanted: Miss Winnipesaukee Pageant info.

Hello,
I am co-director and historian for the Miss Winnipesaukee Scholarship Program, which people may remember as the Miss Winnipesaukee Beauty Pageant from days gone by. For the past several years I have been assembling the history of the pageant and a list of past winners. I was told about this forum and it's history section and hope some of the readers have old photos or newspaper articles they would like to share with us.

For those who do not know, the pageant used to be held at Irwin's Winnipesaukee Gardens dance hall on the pier in the Weirs from 1925 until 1968. In 1969, the Lawton family took over running the contest. Now it is a 501c3 tax-exempt scholarship program and according to the information I received from the Miss America organization, it is the oldest Miss America local preliminary in the country.

I am looking for old photos, newspaper articles and other related items to add to our archives and website www.misswinni.org . Some of the information is already online and more still needs to be formatted and uploaded. If you would like to share any historical information with us, it can be mailed to:

The Miss Winnipesaukee Scholarship Program
P.O. Box 5573
Weirs Beach, NH 03247

Thank You,
Gary