Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
cemetery guy

Default Cemeteries around Lake Winnipesaukee

Hello All...I'm new to the forum and sure could use your help. I'm writing a book about the many historic cemeteries found in the communities that surround the lake. When complete (its due out in mid-2006), it will provide a unique look at the history of the area and many of its towns by way of examining these cemeteries and discussing the many personages, famous and not-so-famous, found within. Material for the book is not a problem, except for one area...those cemeteries that might exist on the lake's many islands. To date I've only found one example, but surely there must be more..perhaps on Rattlesnake Island? If you can provide information or pictures on such cemeteries, I'd be very interested. Thanks.
cemetery guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Pineedles

Default History is People

Hi Guy,

See my post in the general discussion thread on Novemebr 11th. I would love to read what you have.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:09 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Rattlesnake Island

In all my hikes over Rattlesnake Island's common land, I have never come across anything that looks like a gravesite. There certainly might be some on the individual lots or they might be disguised enough from the ravages of time. Good luck, this is an interesting subject.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
Island-Ho

Default Long Island Cemetary

Have you checked out Long Island? I seem to recall one along the main road, but I know of another very old family plot deep in the woods that few, except for the land owners know of. To protect their privacy, please e-mail me privately for further information.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
ghfromaltonbay

Default Cemetery Guy

I hope you are including the story about Claude Rains in your book. If I remember correctly, although he was a long time resident of Sandwich, he was refused burial in the local cemetery because he was Roman Catholic.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Talking Cemetery Story

I don't know many cemetery stories but here's one....
Alton's famous Civil War Major, Tom Savage, requested that his trusty horse be buried next to him. Well....horses weren't allowed to be buried in the cemetery so "Old Tom" was buried just outside the cemetery. Over the years the cemetery expanded so that "Old Tom's" grave is within the cemetery. I'm not making this stuff up! (really)

For many years the building in the background was known as the Savage Tavern. Some may recognize it as the former VFW (or was it an American Legion?). It is on Monument Square in Alton Village.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #7
secondcurve

There is an interesting book that was published several years ago about the cemeteries of Tuftonboro. I forget the title, but will post it after I check my book shelf at the camp. The author put it together because he/she (I can't remember which) didn't want these historic sites to be lost to the powerful impact of NH weather. I think each cemetary was plotted in the book and then the author discussed the various people and families that rested at each location. It is a must read for anyone with the handle "Cemetery Guy" Please let us know when the book is set to be published. Good Luck
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:10 AM   #8
Zee

Default Old Tom

The story of "Old Tom" is indeed true. If you visit the cemetery in Alton, you will find the horse's grave surrounded by a white paddock fence. A short distance away you will find the masters grave with a smaller version of the paddock fence. Neat story.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Smile

Secondcurve, could you be thinking of The Cemetery Records of Moultonborough New Hampshire by Reverend Frank E. Greene And Others? It was published by The Moultonborough Historical Society.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:54 AM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Research Places & Books

Cemetery Guy, you might want to stop in at the New Hampshire Historical Society in Concord. There are several books there that might help you find what you are looking for. (The other local historical societies and libraries are a good bet too.)
For example:
Cemeteries in Alton New Hampshire by Albert E. Barnes. 1978.
Wolfeborough, New Hampshire Cemeteries copied by Mrs. Joseph Donigan. 1948.
Old Cemeteries of Meredith, New Hampshire by Harold G. and Esther C. Wyatt. 1980.
Gilford, New Hampshire Cemeteris compiled by the Thompson Ames Historical Society. Copied by Mrs. Henry T. Turner.
Directory of Gilford Cemeteries. Includes burials through 1949, compiled by Harold and Barbara Eaton in 1950. Lot locations added and burials 1950 to October 1, 1978, complied by Russell and Rheta Folsom for the Thompson Ames Historical Society.

While at NH Library, visit the State Library too for Laconia, NH : Mary Butler Chapter, D.A.R., 1951.

Other books related to this subject:
In 1993 John Fipphen wrote a 298 page book called Cemetery Inscriptions, Wolfeboro, New Hampshire.
Colonial Gravestone Inscriptions in the State of New Hampshire.
Mrs. Charles Carpenter Goss, originally printed in 1942. A list of about 12,500 names found on New Hampshire headstones prior to 1770. Arranged alphabetically by village or town, then, under cemetery, alphabetically by family name, her transcriptions are as complete a record of Colonial New Hampshire gravestone inscriptions as we are ever likely to have. 160 pages.
Gravestone Inscriptions, Gathered by the Old Burial Grounds Committee of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of New Hampshire by Georgia Carpenter. 1913

Good luck with your book!
Old 12-13-2005, 04:41 PM   #11
Bear Guy

Default Bear Island graveyard

Bear Island Reflections has this to say about a graveyard on Bear Island:

"Northwest of Dolly Point, about 100 feet from shore in a pine grove, is a cemetery with nine graves of settlers of Bear Island, marked only by small fieldstones with no lettering. There is no known record of who is buried here."

This is the only and entire mention of this in the book (that I could find).
http://www.bearisland.org/

Last edited by Bear Guy; 12-14-2005 at 06:27 AM.
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:07 AM   #12
cemetery guy

Default Lake island Cemeteries

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful replies. All of the published sources listed in the posts have been consulted, as have been numerous other sources. However, the mention on Bear Island is a new one, and a much appreciated tidbit. Thanks, McDude, for posting the info on Old Tom and George Savage. They're already a part of the book. Out of the 100's of old cemeteries in NH I've studied, the inclusion of a horse (a "charger") burial is pretty unique. Was hoping Rattlesnake Island had something. The only other documented sites I'm aware of so far are those found on Sleeper Island and Governor's Island. By the way, the book is due out in mid-2006...I'll keep you "posted".
Old 12-15-2005, 09:23 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I know of two "out of the way" cemeteries that are interesting.On Chemung rd in Meredith there is a large field on the left with scores of unmarked graves.It was used by the state of NH to bury deceased residents of the Laconia State School for retarded persons.
Also,in Center Harbor, there is a family plot on Coe Hill rd for the famous Senter and Coe families.It is on private land,but by law it is accessible to anyone.It's one of the oldest around.Happy hunting W-o-o-o-o-o-o-o spooky stuff
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:06 PM   #14
secondcurve

Rattlsnake Gal:

The book I am referring to was published in the last several years and it has to do with the Tuftonboro cemeteries. I'll track it down in the next couple of weeks.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:33 PM   #15
cemetery guy

Default Cemetery book info

Fyi...Many towns around the Lake have published their cemetery records (Rattlesnake Gal listed many). This includes Tuftonboro (a nicely done book), Wolfeboro, Moultonborough, Sandwich, Meredith, and Alton. These list each cemetery in town, and the folks buried within them. Most do not provide complete inscriptions from gravestones, and usually provide only cursory genealogical information, if any at all. Most have maps and drawings that are quite helpful to the explorer, but have only a few photographs of actual stones. Many of these books are available on-line from a variety of dealers at abe.com, but some can be purchased at local historical societies (including that for Moultonborough, which is well worth the price). Most of these books are recent works, except for Sandwich. As for other towns, the cemetery records for Laconia have been partially compiled and are to be found in the public library. Those for New Hampton are complete and can be found on the town's website. Those for Gilford are being compiled, and when complete will also include a photograph of every gravestone in town. These records are available at the Thompson-Ames Historical Society in Gilford. Because most of these works, with the exception of Gilford's work in progress, are not pictorial in nature, it has been my mission in my book to give a photographic overview of the many historic cemeteries in the area...a visual arm-chair tour if you will. Of course, they're always more interesting in person. Not spooky, but rather more historical, usually beautiful spots, and often quite touching gravestones.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #16
Pepper

Default I've got one for you!

I know of a very tiny family cemetary on the corner of Durrell Mountain Road and Route 107 in the town of Belmont. There are a little more than a dozen stones, some only the size of a brick, and dating back 200 years or so.

There is a group that maintains the cemetary, and more information may be available at the Town Hall.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #17
John A. Birdsall

Default cemetaries

It seems to me that the town of Alton, perhaps the state were trying to locate all cemetaries where people are buried, so that they could document them. This seems like it was just a couple of years ago. Perhaps a call at the town hall might give you some leads.

My grandmother was buried in Searsport Maine. My mom and Dad had a hard time finding it,, why, because someone changed the name of the cemetary. But alas they found it.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote