Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
Kamper

Default Replacing a septic tank - Guesstimate for budget

I just replaced the sewer line from my house to my septic tank, myself. It appears to me that the metal septic tank is approaching the end of its service life. For budgeting purposes I'm trying to get an idea of the cost of removal and replacement and expect to have the job done within the next two years.

Hopefully I will hear from someone who has had this done within the last few years.

The current tank is in soft dry ground about 100' feet from the road, just past the end of the driveway. No trees need to be removed for access. I have a round 750 gallon metal tank but would expect plastic now and probably 1000 gallon (internet, factory cost $1200-1500 plus shipping). Only the tank needs replacing.

Thanks for your input!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

You may have to meet current code, part of which is based on the # of bedrooms. We had to replace a few years back, including tank, pipe, leach field, and tree cutting and site work, so I won't even try to give you a viable estimate. Biggest thing was it is just my wife and I, but we had to go with a 1500 gallon tank due to our house having 4 bedrooms. We got a preformed concrete tank with the seam near the top of the tank as opposed to mid-height.
Good luck.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-31-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
I just replaced the sewer line from my house to my septic tank, myself. It appears to me that the metal septic tank is approaching the end of its service life. For budgeting purposes I'm trying to get an idea of the cost of removal and replacement and expect to have the job done within the next two years.

Hopefully I will hear from someone who has had this done within the last few years.

The current tank is in soft dry ground about 100' feet from the road, just past the end of the driveway. No trees need to be removed for access. I have a round 750 gallon metal tank but would expect plastic now and probably 1000 gallon (internet, factory cost $1200-1500 plus shipping). Only the tank needs replacing.

Thanks for your input!
Check with Water Industries in Alton, just south of the circle on 28, pretty sure they sell plastic septic tanks...
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Go bigger tank

It's a matter of peak flow. Just the two of you won't be a problem, but a larger tank will allow more settling at times of peak flow and likely pump less often. A small incremental cost for a larger tank once you get the backhoe onsite.
Good benefits if you ever want to expand or sell. The larger tank will extend the life expectancy of your leach-field. Might be worth a couple $100 for a designer to set the best combination of leach-field size/life vs, tank size for your lot size and soil types. In 2027, I wouldn't be surprised if regs are tighter and a better design will be a sales bonus for a few hundred $$ now.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
ITD

You will have to get permits unless you do it yourself, at night. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, but I think you are in for a shock.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2017, 06:59 AM   #6
bostique

Default You better shop around ...

I had to replace my septic tank last fall. Total price for a concrete 1200/350 gal dual stage tank including excavating, removal and pump out of old concrete tank , permit, tank installation and replacement of feed line ... total price was $3400.
I believe I got a decent price considering all the work that was involved and the fact it included the new tank and connections. Shop around ... it could save you a bundle of $$$.
bostique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Kamper

Thanks Bostique. I was guessing in the $5k and up range.

Depending on how you count it, the house has 1-3 bedrooms and 5 people currently in it. The small tank was likely installed with one BR claimed (only one has a closet) and under different rules. I'd bet it's approaching the 30+ year mark. Long ago this place was considered a summer camp and that might have been sufficient then and like-to-like replacement was ok without re-permitting.

The cost difference between 1000 or 1500 gallon plastic is only a few hundred and both that I looked at are approved for NH.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
8gv

Can one increase the number bedrooms of permitted on septic with only a larger tank?

Does the larger tank require a larger leach field?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:32 PM   #9
ApS

Wink At Night is Best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
You will have to get permits unless you do it yourself, at night. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, but I think you are in for a shock.
A neighbor replaced a small metal tank for his 2-bedroom cottage, but the permit required compliance with new Government regulations. He ended up with "the latest" entire restoration, complete with an above-ground leach field, and a pump. He was "out" $10,000, and that was 25 years ago.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #10
wifi

Above ground leach fields are a requirement now ?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #11
camp guy

Default Septic tank

Upthesaukee said it correctly in that you may have to meet current Code, so check with your Code Officer. When we had work done several years ago the work had to be in compliance with current Code.

I totally agree; after all, let's be real, we are dealing with waste, no matter how you spell it or pronounce it, waste is waste.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #12
fireman

I am having 1 done now in Goffstown and it will cost $3000.00 including pump out, I have to do the loam and seeding on my own.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #13
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Above ground leach fields are a requirement now ?
Not necessarily. The state publishes its requirements for leach fields online; it's easy enough to find with a search. Basically, the bottom of the leach bed must be a certain height above "seasonal high water," usually determined by a test pit dug with a backhoe in the proposed area. A raised bed may be required if the high water mark is too close to the surface. There are other requirements, such as distance from water bodies or streams, wells, foundations, etc.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Lots of interesting replies here... All of which is good information... Bottom line is one should go into work on a septic system with open eyes. Once you get to the point, where a tank needs to be replaced, unless the entire system was recently new, you are probably in for a complete evaluation, of the leach field etc. I know my camps system was put in place in the 70s, I have a concrete 1000 gallon tank, and what at the time of installation a legal leach field. However by today's codes and regulations, Along with a Tank I would have to replace the leach field, as it is not up to code.

Once you start talking about tank replacement, I believe every town will require a permit be pulled, and I would hate to think about what the cost of getting caught with out a permit would be.... Once that Permit is pulled, you have to do what ever the local inspector is going to require....
Old 06-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #15
Kamper

Wink

I expect that who ever I eventually hire will do the job as required by code. So that's not a surprise. It's certainly not a job I can do myself with a shovel and wheel barrow!
Old 06-02-2017, 03:17 PM   #16
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

RSA 485-A33 Septic System Replacement/Repair in kind..... states the following:

IV. (a) The repair or replacement in-kind of a sewage effluent disposal area shall qualify for a permit by rule, provided all of the following criteria are met:
(1) The existing system receives only domestic sewage.
(2) There is no increase in sewage loading proposed for the repaired or replacement system.
(3) The bottom of the bed is located no less than 24 inches above the seasonable high water table.
(4) The system is located 75 feet or more from an abutter's well unless there is a standard well release form recorded with the registry of deeds in accordance with RSA 485-A:30-b or there is an existing department waiver to the distance for the abutter's well.
(5) The system is located 75 feet or more from the owner's well unless there is an existing department waiver to the distance for the owner's well.
(6) The existing system received prior construction and operational approval from the department and the replacement or repaired system will conform to the provisions of such approval, provided the department may by rule require a minimum septic tank size of 1,000 gallons.
(7) The system is not within 75 feet of any surface water, water supply well, or very poorly drained soil unless authorized by the prior departmental approval described in subparagraph (6).
(8) No new waivers to the department's rules are requested.
(9) The system has not been previously repaired or replaced under a permit by rule in accordance with the provisions of this paragraph.

This seems to indicate that a replacement in kind does not have to meet current standards, assuming that all other criteria listed are met.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #17
Kamper

Maxum,

That is very encouraging information! Thank you very much!