Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
granitebox

Default Camera Shop Recommendations

In an attempt to keep dollars local, i'm looking for recommendations on a high service, camera shop to purchase a telephoto lenses for my wife's birthday gift. Ideally, i'd like to be able to have her spend 30 minutes or so with a knowledgeable staff, learn about what she wants (high speed telephoto for outdoor sporting events) and then make a good decision.

Its understood that buying locally means paying more than shopping on-line which is why i want to stress the need for a friendly, helpful staff that can teach her what she needs and why.

Any ideas?
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
Its understood that buying locally means paying more than shopping on-line Any ideas?
Ritz Camera, though a national chain, can be found at the Belknap Mall in Belmont, NH and also in Concord and Newington. By all means check out Spectrum Photo in Wolfeboro but before buying anything be sure to compare prices and you will find that their prices are ridiculous and there is a NO RETURN policy. The only other camera shop close to the area would be Rivers Camera in Rochester.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
CL 240 LS

Default Rivers Camera In Dover

FYI
Rivers closed the Rochester store a few years ago but still is in Dover. Besides cameras they are well know for their selection of telescopes.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
Lakepilot

Spectrum in Wolfeboro is good and I'm sure would take the time to explain the lens. If you want low cost and don't care about local try BH Photo.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Ritz Camera, though a national chain, can be found at the Belknap Mall in Belmont, NH and also in Concord and Newington. By all means check out Spectrum Photo in Wolfeboro but before buying anything be sure to compare prices and you will find that their prices are ridiculous and there is a NO RETURN policy. The only other camera shop close to the area would be Rivers Camera in Rochester.
We recently purchased a Canon digital SLR from Ritz in Belmont. Staff is awesome, they spent lot's of time on the various models. They also offer free classes, (you do need to go to the Concord location for the classes) Seven, 2 hour classes free with purchase. Classes cover, Basics, lighting, lenses, and computer software, and even some very good advanced classes.

Check their website or call the store for the requirements for the classes. I'm not 100% sure they would come with the purchase of a lens.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
granitebox

Default Great Info

Thanks so much - clearly now we've got a good starting point and it appears there are enough choices locally one ought be able to offer a solution.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
no-engine

Second the vote for Spectrum in Wolfeboro or North Conway.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
LakesRegionSpirit

Depending on what you mean by "high speed" you may find that local camera shops do not stock gear of this type since there is such a small market for it.
To me, high speed means large aperture so I assume you are looking for a F/2.8 aperture lens.
If you are looking to pair this with a zoom lens (lets say 70-200mm for the sake of argument) I would suggest buying a constant aperture lens. That means that the aperture remains the same regardless of the focal length you are shooting at.
Most local camera shops will stock zoom lenses with variable aperture. That is, as you zoom out, the aperture gets smaller.
To me, this is a pain, as your exposure is forced to change (slower shutter) as you change focal length.
I buy all my gear from B&H, Calument or KEH.
Hope this helps.
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
granitebox

Default High Speed

Sure does - after much looking I think the fixed aperture is what she needs to take pictures of outdoor sporting activities, both on the lake and around it on soccer fields. She's never used a fixed aperture lenses so that becomes the learning portion of the purchase.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
LakesRegionSpirit

Then my first choice would be a 70/200 f/2.8. It is really, in my opinion, the best all-around lens for that type of stuff. As long as you can get close enough to the action both on the lake and on the soccer field. Be patient, the action WILL come to you if you wait long enough,
I shot for The Citizen for four years and used both that and a 300 f/2.8 prime lens for field sports.
The 300 f/2.8 does not come cheap!
A 70-200 f/2.8 can cost upwards of $1,600.00 as well.
I would not add much importance to either Nikon's VR or to Canon's IS feature. They generally do nothing for you in shooting sports as the subject is moving.
It does help when shooting from a boat which is a very unsteady platform.
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
Mee-n-Mac

Default Careful with Ritz

Just remember that Ritz filed for bankruptcy this year. That means maybe "your" store will be closing ... or maybe not. Perhaps you can get a deal but I doubt it, their prices were always high and last store I visited had a pretty limited stock.

You may be better off perusing the forums for the camera of your choice and seeing what lenses are highly thought of. But first you've got to choose you price range and weight limit. As said above a fast lens is big $$ and large and heavy. If you're not a pro or very enthusiastic amateur you might find an f/3.5 - f/4.5 a reasonable compromise. Also remember that most of todays dSLRs have an APS-C sized sensor so effectively your lens is 1.5 or 1.6 times "longer" (ie : a standard 70-210 acts like a 105-315).