Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
Igione

Default Selling a car for auction

We have a car that we would like to sell to a private individual who will sell it at an auction. We have found in the south that these individuals can give you the best deal (over trade in from a dealership).
Does anyone have a name and contact info for someone who does this? I called several auction places here in NH and they refused to give me any information.
Thanks.
Igione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
8gv

If you sell it to a private individual, why do you care about what happens next?

Get a signed bill of sale and your plates back before the car leaves your possession.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Don't forget that as long as the title remains in your name you may still be liable for any accidents/problems that occur. You may want to check with your insurance company.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Don't forget that as long as the title remains in your name you may still be liable for any accidents/problems that occur. You may want to check with your insurance company.
Good Advice.

More Good Advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
If you sell it to a private individual, why do you care about what happens next?

Get a signed bill of sale and your plates back before the car leaves your possession.

Possible other helpful information, don't sell it and then let someone drive on your plates.
https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...es.htm#private

Last edited by Top-Water; 11-18-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: your plate
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
Igione

We don't care what happens to a car after we sell it. The point is that we have sold about 7 cars in our lifetimes and find that selling to an auction dealer gets us the highest amount for a car and is the most non-hassle AND quickest. Why? Because auction dealers are ALWAYS looking for used cars to take to auctions whereas a regular person will look for a used car MAYBE once every 5 years or more.
When the auction dealer buys your car they come to your house, bring the paperwork, give you a bank check, you sign over the title, you take off the plates, they load it on a flat bed and it is over in about 15 mins.
And that is why I am looking for a auction dealer.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igione View Post
We don't care what happens to a car after we sell it. The point is that we have sold about 7 cars in our lifetimes and find that selling to an auction dealer gets us the highest amount for a car and is the most non-hassle AND quickest. Why? Because auction dealers are ALWAYS looking for used cars to take to auctions whereas a regular person will look for a used car MAYBE once every 5 years or more.
When the auction dealer buys your car they come to your house, bring the paperwork, give you a bank check, you sign over the title, you take off the plates, they load it on a flat bed and it is over in about 15 mins.
And that is why I am looking for a auction dealer.
Put it on eBay for a five day auction and be done with it.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:40 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Google

Google gives this info right up front

Auto Auction Dealers and there were three listed in NH.

Dave
Old 11-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Independent used car dealers.

Usually when I sell a car, I look at all avenues, auction houses, new car dealers, used cars, craigslist, ebay etc. They all have their pros and cons.

I buy/sell European cars. I find the best deals at Skip King in Gilford. Almost always gives me the best price I can find on the cars I sell. The cars I buy may not be the cheapest, but they are normally in pristine shape! And he backs his sales! He buys and sells to auction houses throughout the US, saving lots of time looking for a vehicle or selling for that matter.
https://www.karkraft1.com/

There is an auction house in Hooksett that buys and sells cars, but like other auction items, let the buyer beware! https://www.capitalautoauction.com/l...manchester-nh/
Igione (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Auction houses usually sell cars at wholesale prices so if you sell to a private party or a dealer that is going to take it to the auction and sell it for a profit then he's going to have to buy it below wholesale value. So I wouldn't say you're getting the best price for your car but it is a much cleaner and easier sale.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

https://www.capitalautoauction.com/l...manchester-nh/

You can check out their "run list" to see what they typically sell most of it is high mileage and well used. Not a place to mix in something that is anything but. Most of their inventory is donated for charity.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #11
WeirsBeachBoater

Default I know a guy

Call Denis, at Finn's Garage in Meredith. He will be able to help you, he specializes in selling cars nationwide. 603-520-0218
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WeirsBeachBoater For This Useful Post:
Igione (11-21-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #12
Paugus Bay Resident

You can also try Kelly Blue Book. They have a service where you enter your car details and they make a cash offer. Then you'll get some local dealers who participate. I'm in the process of doing one, and it's been pretty painless.

kbb.com and click on My car's value and then Get Trade in Value & Offer. I had the offer and multiple dealers within 30 minutes. Offers we fair as well.

CarMax may also buy as well.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #13
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
We have a car that we would like to sell to a private individual who will sell it at an auction. We have found in the south that these individuals can give you the best deal (over trade in from a dealership).
Does anyone have a name and contact info for someone who does this? I called several auction places here in NH and they refused to give me any information.
Thanks.
By the way, what is the year, make and model of the car you want to unload? I think more than a few of us are curious as to what you are marketing.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #14
Igione

The car is a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Sedan with the sports package. We bought it in NC and brought it up here with us in 2015. It was a great car for living down south, but is rear wheel drive that doesn't make the most sense here in the lakes region for the winter. It has 135k miles (mostly non-rush hour) but not making the claim that it was 90% highway miles by any stretch. It has never been in an accident and has no rust.

Last edited by Igione; 11-21-2018 at 07:25 AM. Reason: add that the car is a sedan
Old 01-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
songkrai

Quote:
We have a car that we would like to sell to a private individual who will sell it at an auction.
Go figure. Most would just sell it to a private individual and cut out the middleman.

But there are some out there that have never sold a used car.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:42 AM   #16
NIOMARVIN83

Got it, if you're looking to sell your car quickly and without hassle, auction dealers are a good way to go, just like you mentioned. Plus, there's something new and cool happening in auctions these days. It's called an A.I. Auctioneer. Think of it like a super-smart computer that helps sell things at an auction. It talks and acts a bit like a real person who runs an auction but doesn't get tired or need breaks. This means it can help get the best price for your car by talking to buyers in a smart way, remembering what they like, and even making the auction fun. It's all about making things better and easier for everyone, and it could make your car sell even faster and possibly for more money. Just something interesting to think about when choosing where to sell your car!
NIOMARVIN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:03 AM   #17
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

I just took a quick look at A.I. Auctioneer. The site seemed too confusing to me and not something worth taking the time to understand. It is not what I would consider to be user friendly.

I enjoy more simple sites like Bring A Trailer or EBay that are instantly understandable. In 1 minute you can understand how it works, what is for sale, and know how to bid. I have bought several things on EBay and have bid on several vehicles on Bring a Trailer.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-25-2024)