Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2004, 05:07 PM   #1
billhurley

Default Stereo installations

Do you know of anyone who will install an extra pair of speakers while the boat is on the water. I am debating if I should do it myself or have it done while I am home for the week. Thanks Bill
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:19 AM   #2
fodalo

Default stereo install

Vanworks in Laconia
fodalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Mee-n-Mac

Question how handy are you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhurley
Do you know of anyone who will install an extra pair of speakers while the boat is on the water. I am debating if I should do it myself or have it done while I am home for the week. Thanks Bill
A few questions you might want to consider first ....

1) Have you installed speakers, etc in a car before ? If not then you may want to pay someone else to do it. (or learn now)

2) Does your present boat system allow for another pair of speakers ? I'm assuming that you have 1 pair now (ie - rear) and the stereo has front and rear outputs with a built in fader and that you wish to install the other (ie - front) pair. If not then something more "special" needs to be done.

3) Lastly do you have a place already picked out for the new speakers ? Are they self contained boxes or will you need to cut fiberglass to install them ? Does the latter bother you ?

Personally, having done similar stuff with many cars in my youth, I'd do it myself. Just be careful the speaker magnet doesn't screw-up the compass and the speakers are poly not paper cones.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
billhurley

Default Mee n Mac Thanks

Thanks for the response. I have done it before in cars and boats.
It already has 2 in the cabin and 2 in the cockpit. I was going to add 2 more in the cockpit area. I am just debating if it is worth doing myself. Thanks Bill
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Interesting !

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhurley
It already has 2 in the cabin and 2 in the cockpit. I was going to add 2 more in the cockpit area.
I initially responded because a speaker addition is on my boat improvement list (albeit low). Now it sounds like you're in the "same boat" as I. FWIW my present thinking is to put a 4 pole, double throw switch in the cabin near the stereo to select between the front cabin speakers and the new, to be added, front cockpit speakers. The present rear cockpit pair are overwhelmed by engine and wind noise and can barely be heard at the helm when at speed. An added pair, tucked down at the windsheild base, should allow sound to be heard w/o resorting to outlandish volume settings. Just have to find out if something already exists that'll fit w/o looking tacky or whether I have to makeup my own custom enclosures.
Sponsored Links