Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-23-2004, 09:18 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Gunstock Opening Delayed

Great Photo of the lake from the first of the season Gunstock Newsletter

Opening Day Status
Snowmaking did get a good jump start at Gunstock. However, due to a lack of cold temperatures last week and a forecast for warm temperatures this week, opening day will be postponed from Friday, November 26th. Remember, temperatures will drop, winter will arrive and snowmaking will kick in at full throttle. We’ll keep you posted on our progress. For now keep doing your snow dances and check our website at www.gunstock.com Click on e-club to subscribe to newsletter. Lots of great photos by Digital Magic of Alton Bay.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 06:05 AM   #2
Belmont Resident

Gunstock is a nice place(I worked there last year). But it's size is it's weekness, I'd rather drive to Cannon and spend more time on the slope and less on the lifts.
Now if I lived further south I might give in more often.
Which is probably why I don't travel to Sugarloaf unless it's by snowmobile.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Gunstock

I grew up and learn to ski at Gunstock. I have to agree with BR about the size of the area and the length of the lines. I can get a Threedom pass for about the same price as a Gunstock Pass. This year the Sunday River/Attitash pass is very tempting. Loon, WV, and Cranmore are closer and just as challenging.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

Broadhopper,I bought the Sunday River/Attitash pass last year.This year it is called the all for one pass.There are different levels of this pass.I bought the bronze pass which has 14 blackout dates on holiday and vacation week days.$349 gets me Attitash,Killington,Sunday River,and Sugarlaof,the latter two why I bought it.This was in addition to the 34th pass in a row to my beloved Cannon Mt.I should be Cannon right now for opening day but old New England weather set us back a week.I guess it will be the River tomorrow.Live ski or die! SS
Old 11-27-2004, 09:36 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thumbs up Sunday River

SS. I was at Sunday River the Friday before. The skiing was excellent! It got mushy toward the end of the day. My buddy who is an instructor there told me not to bother to come up this weekend because the rain did a number. I like to know your opinion.
Cannon is one of my all-time favorite, as is the 'Loaf. Both mountains is very 'finicky' due to the weather. The grooming crew is one of the best if not the best. Sunapee's grooming crew comes out on top when it comes to icy conditions.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default The Loaf is the best!

If I spent half as much time skiing as snowmobiling I'd have bought a camp closer to Sugarloaf instead of the Canadian boarder.
I've NEVER had a bad experience at that mountain.
Excellent terrain never got board there like I do at some other slopes. Next to Jay Peak I believe they get the most snow of any mountain in this area.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
SS. I was at Sunday River the Friday before. The skiing was excellent! It got mushy toward the end of the day. My buddy who is an instructor there told me not to bother to come up this weekend because the rain did a number. I like to know your opinion.
Cannon is one of my all-time favorite, as is the 'Loaf. Both mountains is very 'finicky' due to the weather. The grooming crew is one of the best if not the best. Sunapee's grooming crew comes out on top when it comes to icy conditions.
Sorry Broadhopper,I didn't make it to the River this weekend.I kind of had an attitude about the warm weather.There is always next weekend right?Sorry Don for getting off the lakes related topics.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:31 PM   #8
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs up

Sure felt like winter at Cannon last Friday at 1:00 pm. Was that you I saw climbing up the tram line SS??
Attached Images

Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:07 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

Negative SP.I was moping at home about Cannon not being open.I see your kids were out having fun in the snow though.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:12 PM   #10
mcdude

Default What's Not To Like?

I'm surprised that more forum members don't frequent Gunstock and aren't here discussing conditions etc. on the forum throughout the winter. New quad lift....6 minutes or so to the summit. I think it is a great place.....the view is unsurpassed. What really is such a plus, is that it takes me only... like 15 minutes to get there. Thumbs up for convenience. They offer 1/2 day passes for those who don't want to do a whole day as well as night skiing. Belknap County landowners are eligible for savings on season's passes. Tubing for the kids. Any fans out there?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:07 AM   #11
Seaplane Pilot

McDude, I'm a big fan of Gunstock. We're 10 minutes away and we buy season passes every year. We're there for the first chair up, then leave by 10:30 - 11:00 when it starts to get crowded. Also enjoy the night skiing and snowshoeing a few times during the season. I'd also like to see them open the summit chair to nightskiing in the future. Only complaint I have is that on many trips up the new quad it would either slow down or stop completely. You might recall that one time last year they had to evacuate everyone from the chair. I don't understand why they have these problems with a brand new chair. Hopefully they got the bugs worked out and it will be a smooth operation this year.

While on the subject of skiing, the Cog Railway will be open to the public this winter for skiing. They're going to groom trails next to the railroad trestle which will be of moderate difficulty. From what I understand they won't be running the Cog up to the summit in order to keep the yahoos that don't belong up there from skiing over the headwall into Tuckerman's Ravine. Can't wait to try this just to say I did it.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Default Auto Road

I heard that the Mt Washington Auto Road owners will take you up the road in a snow cat so you can ski down. I'm not sure that skiing down the auto road after the sno cat is consider good skiing. Anyone on the forum ever tried it?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:29 AM   #13
SIKSUKR

They might bring you up to ski the auto road but NOT to ski into tuckermans.Like Seaplane said,that would be a bad idea.One should only ski what they would hike up.This is serious terrain.SP,the terrain you refer to next to the Cog railway was skied last year by a bunch of people as a test run.The terrain is pretty mellow and from the pictures looked pretty lame.But I agree it would be nice to say "I" skied it.As for skiing at Gunstock,It's an ok mountain but I personaly prefer more of a challenge.My opinion. SS
Old 12-08-2004, 07:19 AM   #14
mcdude

Default Gunstock Set To Open Tomorrow

From their e-mail newsletter 12/08

"In the 24 hours from midnight Sunday to midnight Monday, our dedicated and talented snowmakers set a new record for water converted to snow at 4,642,680 gallons!

We will be opening for the 2004/2005 season on Thursday, December 9th at 9:00AM. We will be offering the Pistol trail and lift, and the Learning Center area with the Wonder Carpet.

Pricing will be $20.00 for adults and teens, and $10.00 for children and seniors to begin the season. Pricing adjustments will be made as more terrain becomes available."
Old 12-19-2004, 07:05 PM   #15
gravy boat

Default Gunstock -- December 18/19

Quick update -- we live 2 miles from Gunstock (we are lucky and grateful) and purchased season passes, which we first used this weekend.

Conditions were definitely early season -- but so were the lift lines....non existent and fantastic for die-hards. Decent conditions on the open slopes for most of the days.

My husband has three girls from a previoius marriage -- 11, 7 and 5 -- and the 11- and 7-year-olds learned at Pat's Peak last season and can handle Gunstock's intermediate trails and the black diamond open this past weekend. The 5-year-old loves skiing thanks to the great staff (Matt and Katie, who gave her the first two lessons this weekend), and she looks forward to learning much more at the Children's Center next weekend. She is a self-professed lover of the sport. We are truly lucky to live so close to a good family mountain and look forward to an excellent season!

Our best to all for the holidays -- stay safe and enjoy your friends and family...see you on the slopes!

Gravy
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote