Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default History of Schools in Alton - Request for Info

I'm looking for information about the history of the Alton Central School and any schools in the town of Alton prior to the ACS.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for:
Old newspaper articles, local publications, photos, books, brochures - anything.

Even if you just wish to email me with your story of the building or maybe where you went to school. I know there's some history buffs here and maybe some folks who just have some dusty old books they're willing to loan me.

(Moderator: Please feel free to move this thread if this isn't the appropriate forum. Many thanks!)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
nj2nh

Argie's Wife,

I remember reading a story (done by a student) in "Main Street" a couple of summers ago - maybe three. It had lots of interesting historical tidbits. Perhaps you could track down the researcher and find his or her sources.

Just a thought and not a very good one at that.

nj2nh
Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

A's wife. Try to get in contact with Luanne Dadura. She may have some info or can get you in touch with someone. Her Dad, Matt Flaherty was the principal there for a long time. Course it depends on how old you are talking. Maybe you want older history.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Argie's Wife

Those are both good tips - thank you!

I did find a collection of essays at the Gilman Library and was able to develop a time line of the history of schools in Alton. At the turn of the century (1900, that is), there were 26 one-room school houses in the town! Some of those buildings are still standing, but very few - about three, I think. School was held mostly in the summer and at one point there was an agricultural center for the high school students to raise crops and farm animals! I knew there was an old trophy (1917, I think) that the boys had won from an oxen pulling contest they had entered. All very interesting.

The one thing from the past that rang true time and time again was the need to have the school in the center of town. It was a need "back then" and it's still mentioned to be a need whenever there's talk of a new school or renovations.

But why is it that the more you learn about something, the more questions you have? (Maybe I'm just a history geek?!)
Old 06-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Alton High School

Postmark 1913
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

McDude - that's a great pic! Thank you!

The high school was started in 1900 as an trial but it was accredited in 1902. New Durham shared the school with Alton for a while but then opted to go elsewhere right after a major expansion of the school. The new high school was built in 1965, as part of the Alton Central School and the old school was demolished.

What the location of the old high school, as shown in that picture?

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

from "The History of Alton Mountain" by Dana Lang

Quote:
The Schoolhouses
As more and more families moved to Alton Mountain, it became clear that a schoolhouse was needed. The six mile trip to the village was too long and soon a school was established. At first a small building in the woods was used, but the mountain people felt that one was needed along the main road close to where most of the families lived at the time. And so a schoolhouse was built to the right of the corner gate on the left hand side of the road. Unfortunately by 1930 the schoolhouse was struck with tragedy when fire destroyed it.

The second schoolhouse was located to the left side of the corner gate, just before the Alton Mountain Cemetery on the right hand side of the road. The school was grades 1-8 and all were taught by one teacher. Dana Morse, who grew up on the mountain, can still remember when he attended the first grade at the school in 1931 with about 16 to 18 other children. Going to school was a thrill for the children because it meant they could interact with people their own age on a regular basis.

Upon finishing eighth grade the students either ended their education or made the long trip into the village once again to attend higher grades. In 1933 the school on Alton Mountain ended. Alton students still continued to educate themselves. Ms. Claence Dore, who was salutatorian of her class. Became the secretary for her two brothers who both later became governors of New Hampshire. Perhaps even more impressive is the story of Dr. Carroll Jones, one to the top psychiatrists in the country at the time who was asked to testify in the Lindbergh trial.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote