Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Location of photos?

Hi All,

Some time ago I found some photos in one of the many books I have on Winnipesaukee, ID'd as follows:
1) Smiths' River At Upper Dam, and
2) Willeys Bridge over Smiths River aka Whitten Neck Road Bridge

I think these are in the Wolfboro area but I'm not sure-help me cut to the chase-what town are they in?
They'd make interesting dives (I think). Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Smith river inflows to Wolfeboro's back bay. It crosses Rte 28 about a mile north of Brewster Academy (heading toward Ossipee) , with the bridge over rte 28 right at the Wright Museum.

I do not know where the "upper dam" is located, but there is a dam right by that bridge.

Whitten Neck Rd is located a little further north of that location, cutting off to the right. If you go on Google earth, go to Wolfeboro, and then pan to the NE of Wolfeboro, and move the mouse pointer to 45.35*50*71N 71-11-43-53W is where the old railroad bed crosses Whitten Neck Rd (I think) and that would put the bridge location just below and to the right of that waypoint. ( I think).

gotta love technology !
Old 09-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Hi Diver:
The Smith River Bridge, or Whitten Neck Road bridge was just recently reconstructed. See tons of photos on the Lake Wentworth Page. The Upper Dam is actually on the lower end of Crescent Lake and controls the level of Crescent Lake and Lake Wentworth.

Here's a photo/postcard....

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
Diver1111

Default ID of photos

Hi All,
Thanks so much for the feedback-very helpful.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
Diver1111

Default Last picture posted-question

McDude,
This is the time of year I drive around scoping outy nifty dives sites, to visit with or without my boat. The photo of what looks like a barn sitting on a damn you posted-where is that? Is it the site I describe below-Whtten Neck Road?

As for my Smiths' River/upper dam question, I figured out what it was I was trying to find, and in fact have already been there. I think it was last summer-June perhaps-I was heading to Mast Landing towards Ossipee and saw on my left across from the Wright Museum that (in what I now know is Smiths' River) that the water level was nearly zero due to construction. I had the good fortune to be able to walk the riverbed down to the RR bridge and damn, looking for old bottles, insulators etc-what a good time and rare chance to see it down to a trickle. A very interesting place.

As for the 2nd bridge over Smith's River a bit north of this area, heading into to Lake Wentorth, I have been there too in my boat, and thanks to help from you and upthesaukee I have a handle on it now. Boy I sure don't recognize that house-like structure I reference above. Still looks like an interesting place to dive.

I went for a 90 minute dive right off the town docks in Wolfboro yesterday. It didn't get really interesting until I hit the river flowing out from Back Bay. The floodplain carries some interesting things, and the brackish rust colored-water was as distinct as a curtain. You could literally put your arm through it from the clearer lake water. Alot like the CT River.

If you ever have any suggestions for interesting sites that I can dive on for pieces of history, send me a private message.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
Wolfeboro Matt

Default Great Dam

mcdude - great pic of the upper dam. It brought back some great memories. I cant begin to count the hours I spent as a kid fishing both the front and back sides of that dam. GREAT memories. Do you have any other pics by any chance?

Diver1111 - the dam you thought was the upper dam (next to the Wright Museum) is not the upper dam. i guess you might call that one the lower dam. The upper dam is up stream from there. I'm not sure if there is public access by land to it. We used to rent a cottage every summer that was right near it, and had to cut across the the neighbor's yard to reach it.

If you ever have your boat in Crescent lake (it sounds like you do) you can motor right up to it though. From Mast Landing, instead of immediately heading left up the Smith River to the Smith River/Whitten Neck Road bridge, head straight/right down a stretch into a cove off to the right. The dam is at the end of the cove. In the accompanying image, the three red circles indicated (from top to bottom) the Smith River/Whitten Neck Road bridge, Mast Landing, Upper Dam. As you approach the dam head on, it stays deep, but to both the right and left of the dam itself it gets quite shallow (3-4 feet right down to a foot or so).

Good luck!
Attached Images

Wolfeboro Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Cool

Wolfeboro Matt:
Much better than I could have done! thanks! McD
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Diver1111

Default The damn question

Wolfboro Matt,
Thanks for the clarification. Now I have names to go with the locations.
Thanks all-if I find any interesting arttifacts I will post them.