Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
searay220

Thumbs up Snowmobile Trails

Well the winter if far to long to stay away from the lake.So I recently purchased a couple of snowmobiles to give the family and I an excuse to go up as often as I can.I am looking for information about snowmobile trails and there conditions.What trails (from Alton) do you recommend and where do they go.What about snowmobiling on the lake? I am new to this so any advise would be great.Thanks
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:48 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

First of all, congratulations on your new purchases. I hope you get years of enjoyment out of them. Secondly, take it easy on them until you get used to the machines, both on how to handle them, and the physical demands of riding.

For local maps of the Alton area, stop at Amilynne's market (busy corner store opposite the Alton Bay Post Office and JP China.) and get the Mt. Major Snowmobile Club map. You can also go to : http://www.mountmajorsnowmobileclub.com/
and get some information. Now that we have some snow on the ground and the lake, the lake is a great way to get used to your new toys, er I mean purchases , and have relatively easy riding. Some of the snowmobilers can also give you links to other snowmobile websites such as the NH Snowmobile Assn. http://www.nhsa.com .

Above all, be safe, if on the lake, watch for pressure ridges where layers of ice get forced up and over adjoining ice, watch for open water or thin areas, and enjoy.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:44 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

In the Lake Links under the category of sports, the local clubs are listed.
Here are a couple more links that may be helpful.
NH Trails Bureau
NH Snowmobile Clubs
Have fun and stay safe!
RG
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

At this time of the year,SeaRay,the lakes are pretty safe. 3" of ice will support a snowmobile and there is 12" to 26" almost everywhere.All you have to do is use common sense.Stay away from bridges,rivers and streams.....also narrow inlets between islands can have thin ice due to current.The places you can go by lake are endless.Sometimes we go from Moultonborough over to the Weirs (around the bridge of course) down Paugus bay to Southdown shores.The trail is clearly marked over to lake Winnisquam.Go all the way to the north end and the trail leads over to lake Wicwas which is beautiful riding.Take the trail over to Waukewan ..on and on it goes.Kanasatka and Squam are nice ,too.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:33 AM   #5
RLW

Thumbs up Join a club to reduce reg. fee

Don't forget the registation of toys and one can help in the cost by joining a local club. I believe it is $30 or somewhere in that figure frame is taken off the registration fee. It helps maintain the trails through the NHSA.
Enjoy and be safe as there are some nuts out there on the trails and I think I came upon most of them this weekend.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:44 PM   #6
searay220

Wow! Some great info.

The trail maps that are available are they detailed enough to get around without getting lost? Is there trails that can take you from the Railroad station Rest in New Durham to Alton Bay and maybe up near MT Major? I'am looking forward to doing some long rides and very curious how to get from point A to point B. Hopefully do this with out trailering the sleds.One more thing could anyone recommend a snowmobile club from the Alton area which is very family friendly. Thanks
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Searay...contact Joann at http://www.mountmajorsnowmobileclub.com/
She is my neighbor and the secretary of the club. They ran the radar run this past weekend at the Alton Winterfest. Her husband is involved in the club, does a ton of trail work. there is a trail that runs from the New Durham railway Station west to the Alton Circle. Again, check out the website and definitely get a map. Here is a small version.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:32 PM   #8
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Did you say "Long ride"?

New Durham to Mt Major is not a long ride in any snowmobiler's book... Most sliders can eat that trip up in 20 minutes or less. Now, Diver Paul and I on the other hand... it took us three years to get from Wolfe city to the top of Mt. Major. The first year we tried it there was no snow, the second year it was it was all ice and couldn't make it up the trail, next year there was 4' of snow on the Mt. and no one could break the trail but after a while someone got it opened up and we roared right to the top. Both Paul and I thought we were going to have to die without ever seeing the top in the winter...

As you can guess, we go for quality not quantity... To me, 60 miles in a day is far enough.... Believe me, you'll be feeling every mile come the next day.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote