Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Lake Level

In case anyone is interested...As of yesterday, the lake is 21" below "full pool" or 6.1" lower than its "normal" level for this time of year...

That is all;

Dan
erick26 (09-25-2020), Phantom (09-25-2020), steve c (10-01-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (09-25-2020), upthesaukee (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
In case anyone is interested...As of yesterday, the lake is 21" below "full pool" or 6.1" lower than its "normal" level for this time of year...

That is all;

Dan
The good news is it appears they are letting more water into the lake, as the drop has stabilized. But yet the outflow in Tilton is still at 350 cfs......

Unfortunately there is no data available as to how much water is being allowed into Winnipesaukee from other lakes such as Lake Kanasatka, Lake Waukewan, Merrymeeting Lake, and Lake Wentworth....

This year has tought me however that I will added the extra 2 feet that I can to my dock..... because I would still be comfortable with the boat in the water, if I had it out those additional two feet....
Old 09-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
Mink Islander

Default And know how to read the spar buoys are suffer the consequences...

Near my place there’s a set of markers that in “normal” conditions don’t really matter except for the Sophie and Doris or other deep drafting vessels. But...they do mark ledges. As I sit on my porch this morning I watched a nice old wooden cruiser go right between the red and black spars on the southeast corner of Bear. People make this mistake ALL THE TIME. That’s a confusing set of three markers to be sure. A red spar close to shore by Bear; a black spar to the east of it AND a light buoy with an accompanying black spar to the south. Too many boaters assume either a) the triangle of buoys marks a hazard so go around all of it (wrong), or especially going north/south, go between the red and black because it’s marking a channel (also wrong). There actually is a ledge to the north of the red/black pair so going between them takes you exactly where you aren’t supposed to go....

The correct course is to either go west of the red (close to Bear) — (Remember: go south and west of red markers) or around to the east of the black spar on the other side (go north and east of black spars). But that’s if you’re going north/south. If you are going east/west, you should go between the light buoy/black spar and the other two markers to the North. Going between two black spars there is especially confusing but that’s why we have maps and GPS...
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
SimpleTL (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
Merrymeeting

Merrymeeting is approaching historical lows for this time of year too. The streams coming in are almost dry. There certainly is not additional flow going into the river or Winni from Merrymeeting right now.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

Default It’s true....very sad

Quote:

That is all;

Dan
We have company coming this weekend, and hoped for a scenic boat ride in this gorgeous weather. However........boat was aground at the dock....and it took these 2 old buzzards some effort to get it out and over to the marina. That’s a first in 21 years at this property...so sad!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
XCR-700

WOW it so early for folks to have to wrap it up for the season.

Very disappointing, fall can be the most enjoyable part of our short boating season,,,

Thanks all for the updates, even if they are not good.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:33 AM   #7
Mink Islander

Default And know how to read the spar buoys are suffer the consequences...

Near my place there’s a set of markers that in “normal” conditions don’t really matter except for the Sophie and Doris or other deep drafting vessels. But...they do mark ledges. As I sit on my porch this morning I watched a nice old wooden cruiser go right between the red and black spars on the southeast corner of Bear. People make this mistake ALL THE TIME. That’s a confusing set of three markers to be sure. A red spar close to shore by Bear; a black spar to the east of it AND a light buoy with an accompanying black spar to the south. Too many boaters assume either a) the triangle of buoys marks a hazard so go around all of it (wrong), or especially going north/south, go between the red and black because it’s marking a channel (also wrong). There actually is a ledge to the north of the red/black pair so going between them takes you exactly where you aren’t supposed to go....

The correct course is to either go west of the red (close to Bear) — (Remember: go south and west of red markers) or around to the east of the black spar on the other side (go north and east of black spars). But that’s if you’re going north/south. If you are going east/west, you should go between the light buoy/black spar and the other two markers to the North. Going between two black spars there is especially confusing but that’s why we have maps and GPS...
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
We have company coming this weekend, and hoped for a scenic boat ride in this gorgeous weather. However........boat was aground at the dock....and it took these 2 old buzzards some effort to get it out and over to the marina. That’s a first in 21 years at this property...so sad!
I'm curious Sue...did you not have the same problem in 2016?? Water that year was almost identical at this time...

Thanks!

Dan
Old 09-25-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post

Let me help Visualize this ………… it's the notorious FL#30

Red & green lines are safe passage.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #10
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

I always just hug the Camp Lawrence side of that area when navigating.

Dan
Old 09-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:

I see people go through that area wrong all the time... When the water is high I don't think FL30 is really needed, it is when the water is low that it becomes a big deal.....

There are lots of places where the markers get confussing, the biggest rookie mistake in those areas for people that are unfamiliar with them is to not slow down....

When I was learning the lake and got into those confusing area's I did one of two things, consulted the map, or took it slow to try and see the Hazards... Of course I guess at times there was a third scenario.... I did both!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I see the same thing with the pair further up between Bear and Jolly, out there in the middle. Seen people actually swerve to go between them and anyone who makes that mistake and survives is darn lucky. I towed a guy out of there that took out his stern drive between those two.

I can't understand how anyone can go out on ANY lake in NH oblivious to all the markings and what they mean!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
DotRat (09-26-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Yes for me

Quote:
I'm curious Sue...did you not have the same problem in 2016?? Water that year was almost identical at this time...

Thanks!

Dan
My friend's dock is 60 ft long, and at full lake is around 4ft, or a little more, deep at the end. In 2016 our boats were a few inches from grounding.

This past weekend, we worked our respective tails off getting his boat ungrounded. Seems to be slightly lower this year than 2016. Water was just over knee deep at the end of the dock.

Dave
Old 09-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #14
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:

Thanks!

Dan
No...this has never happened to us...same boat, same property. We wanted so much to be able to take these guys out boating...our favorite time of year....much more peaceful on the lake. Oh well. Waiting till next week was not an option...hope this helps others who think they have till Columbus Day! Not this year.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-25-2020), ishoot308 (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #15
codeman671

Quote:

I have been all around the markers on each side by FL30 literally hundreds if not thousands of times over my years on the lake as we have been islanders right by there and have never hit a thing. Cant say I'd want to take the mail boat through there, but normal craft are fine.

I usually hug Bear by the 2 between Bear and Jolly, but have split those 2 in the past just fine. I typically avoid it though.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #16
Barney Bear

Default Target

FL 30 is located to guide folks coming from the east (Long Island) headed for a good time at the Weirs. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #17
gillygirl

Went away for two weeks, and I can’t believe what the level looks like in Glendale.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 09-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #18
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
FL 30 is located to guide folks coming from the east (Long Island) headed for a good time at the Weirs.
I thought it was put there to help me get around Mink in the dark! I feel so foolish...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 09-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #19
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
I thought it was put there to help me get around Mink in the dark! I feel so foolish...

Again, I am appreciating your humor!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:29 PM   #20
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post

Again, I am appreciating your humor!
Well somebody has to inject some levity in here...might as well be me!

Barney Bear (09-25-2020), tis (09-26-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 09:23 PM   #21
rick35

We went by Winnisquam today and thought the water isn't as low as Winnipesaukee. There seemed to be a normal space between docks and the lake level. Do they keep the level higher?
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:43 PM   #22
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
We went by Winnisquam today and thought the water isn't as low as Winnipesaukee. There seemed to be a normal space between docks and the lake level. Do they keep the level higher?
Down about a foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #23
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default High and Dry

Here's my dock over the line in Maine.......good thing I don't have a boat. Suddenly I have a nice beach though.
Attached Images

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #24
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Here's my dock over the line in Maine.......good thing I don't have a boat. Suddenly I have a nice beach though.
I guess you don't have to remove your dock?
Time to do some beach maintenance.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #25
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I guess you don't have to remove your dock?
Time to do some beach maintenance.
Time to go anchor shopping, bet you find a bunch with water levels that low.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote