Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Patofnaud

Default Stay in the boat!

Small PSA...

Not only is it very illegal to be outside the rails when your underway, it is VERY VERY dangerous.

A small bump, a rogue wave, and your chum.

A year back a 13 year old girl was killed in Waukewan when her father ran her over her.

Just this month in Wisconnson a lady almost died when she was sucked under her 'toon while sitting on the bow with her legs in the water in a NWZ.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...2-f10a33e41c46

In the above, they were just driving through a NWZ when someone elses stupidity triggered her bad judment resulting in going from the front deck to 30ft behind the boat.

What made me think of this?

The other day I was sitting on Weirs Channel near the marina's and a larger 'toon (I'll leave the exact description out) was going to get gas and the marina did right by yelling that a boat could not come in to dock until the teenage girl standing out on the front deck outside the rails went back in the boat.

Yep, they had the music blasting Santana, while drive back and forth waiting for an opening at the dock with a kid holding the rope outside the boat.

(Hint, if you can't hear the dock hands yelling to bring the kid inside, then you would not have heard her fall over either as you went forward and back.)

Last week while at the NASWA my wife and I watched a large cuddy cab (Formula or Crowline, not sure) on the other side of the bay with at least 6 people standing on the fore deck dancing with the toons blaring..

Especially on 'toons, there are no less than 6 stickers inside my front gate that says do not do it. (I'd even yell at Sister Teresa if she were to put one foot outside the rail while my engine is running.)

It's illegal, it's stupid and it is VERY dangerous. Stay inside the damn boat. Not that hard.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patofnaud For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-16-2020), SAMIAM (08-17-2020), TheTimeTraveler (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
Small PSA...

Not only is it very illegal to be outside the rails when your underway, it is VERY VERY dangerous.

A year back a 13 year old girl was killed in Waukewan when her father ran her over her.

Just this month in Wisconnson a lady almost died when she was sucked under her 'toon while sitting on the bow with her legs in the water in a NWZ.

In the above, they were just driving through a NWZ when someone elses stupidity triggered her bad judment resulting in going from the front deck to 30ft behind the boat.

The other day I was sitting on Weirs Channel near the marina's and a larger 'toon (I'll leave the exact description out) was going to get gas and the marina did right by yelling that a boat could not come in to dock until the teenage girl standing out on the front deck outside the rails went back in the boat.

Yep, they had the music blasting Santana, while drive back and forth waiting for an opening at the dock with a kid holding the rope outside the boat.

(Hint, if you can't hear the dock hands yelling to bring the kid inside, then you would not have heard her fall over either as you went forward and back.)

Last week while at the NASWA my wife and I watched a large cuddy cab (Formula or Crowline, not sure) on the other side of the bay with at least 6 people standing on the fore deck dancing with the toons blaring..

Especially on 'toons, there are no less than 6 stickers inside my front gate that says do not do it. (I'd even yell at Sister Teresa if she were to put one foot outside the rail while my engine is running.)

It's illegal, it's stupid and it is VERY dangerous. Stay inside the damn boat. Not that hard.
It's up to the driver of the boat to not get underway unless everyone is in the boat.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
Hillcountry

Ha! I was just watching the live stream Flightcraft cam and a few minutes ago there was someone standing on the bow outside the “fence” of the pontoon boat.
No one on the docks seemed particularly interested in reprimanding the man nor the operator...
This is a widely done practice I suspect...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

“Reprimanding the man”. It is not your role or mine to reprimanded individuals. All for educating when the opportunity arrises.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
garysanfran

Default Sister Teresa...

I doubt would hear you today, either...
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
jazzman

I constantly see people riding on the swim platforms on wake boats. I assume the props on these are located well up under the boat???
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I see it a lot too.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #8
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
“Reprimanding the man”. It is not your role or mine to reprimanded individuals. All for educating when the opportunity arrises.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
My idea of a reprimand is "Hey! You shouldn't have a person standing outside your railing with the boat underway!" This would be directed at the operator of the craft...of course everyone would HEAR me.

How is that not "educating?"
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
Patofnaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I constantly see people riding on the swim platforms on wake boats. I assume the props on these are located well up under the boat???
Correct, most of those (if not all) are mid-engine inboards with the prop just aft of midship. I looked into that one out after constantly seeing wakeboarders simple inches off the stern while surfing the wake. Made my butt pucker.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #10
Tuckntruck

It'd bet pretty heavily that most prop related injuries happen within swimming distance of a dock, if not closer.

I don't even let people stand up when docking, and brief my passengers as such. Last year had some random "friendly helper" grab the arch on our 270 when my kids didn't throw him a rope at the Center Harbor town docks (no need to toss lines, it's easy enough to snug up and let the kids tie off) Despite being told to let go, he held on to "help because it was tough parking a big boat (27', not eactly docking the QEII). Pulled him into one of the posts pivioting the boat and nearly pulling him into the water. I was pissed. shut the motor off as soon as it looked like he was going in - even though we were only halfway in the slip. The less polite side of me wanted to toss it in reverse and make sure he remembered going swimming the last time he grabbed a moving boat. It's not that I was moving fast, just that he was trying to stop 8000lbs without solid footing.

Moving boat regardless of the intent, are dangerous, unfortunately people forget pretty quickly because they get away with it so often. At work we call it normalization of deviance. Its invasive, and deadly.
Tuckntruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
Jdarby

Quote:
Small PSA...

If Sister Theresa were to step off your boat, she’d walk on the waters! Other than that, you are spot on! If someone goes over, you cannot disengage the prop fast enough to not cause injury or death. God smiles on many that cruise these waters! I know there are several translations of Winnipesaukee but “Smile of the Great Spirit” really seems most appropriate for many ill-attentive boaters on these waters!
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:00 PM   #12
iw8surf

Quote:
Correct, most of those (if not all) are mid-engine inboards with the prop just aft of midship. I looked into that one out after constantly seeing wakeboarders simple inches off the stern while surfing the wake. Made my butt pucker.
No way you’ll hit the prop from behind. All those boats you’d have to get past the rudder first, then prop. You could of course be run over, so leaning over the bow is a no no on those boats. Being on the swim platform on those boats although illegal, is low risk.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #13
Dave R

Late last month, I was about to drop anchor in Provincetown Harbor when I witnessed a man fall off the bow platform of a pontoon boat that was passing quite near us at a pretty good clip. The boat went directly over him and stopped about 150 feet beyond where he surfaced. Another guy from the same boat jumped over the stern of the pontoon and swam rapidly to the victim. I waited a few seconds for the pontoon operator to do something and when he did not, I motored over to the victim and rescuer and my wife tossed them a tethered life ring that they seemed pretty happy to catch. Eventually the pontoon operator motored over and they released the life ring, loaded up both men, and took off at WOT toward town.

The victim seemed to "luck out" from our point of view and only seemed to have broken bones and deep cuts, no missing limbs. Could have been so much worse.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #14
XCR-700

Not arguing with anything that has been said, but as someone who was stopped and ticketed by the NH Marine patrol for a passenger literally having an ankle just over the bow rail in a bow rider, I think there is some middle ground to being "Fully Inside" the boat.

The notion that its ok the sit in any seat and have your arm out in the wind or waiving at another boater, but a wrist or ankle on and hanging over a bow rail is not legal is ridiculous to me.

And we are not talking about little children it was a full grown adult with their ankle straddling the rail and the foot outside the rail,,,

By comparison, you folks are talking about extreme situations of poor judgement.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:50 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Ankle?

What is described here as an ankle may have appeared in a completely different view to MP. I have a lot of respect for MP and their training/ judgement.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #16
XCR-700

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
What is described here as an ankle may have appeared in a completely different view to MP. I have a lot of respect for MP and their training/ judgement.
I am 100% certain it did not look like anything other than an ankle on the rail, it is a natural fit and seems to be the desire of far too many of my guests,,,

Re: "I have a lot of respect for MP and their training/ judgement.

I do too, thats why I assumed they were right and that was the law and I didnt attempt to fight it, and I still assume it is the the law and I still yell at my passengers for resting their ankle on the bow rail, or hanging their arm over the rail (another VERY common desire of passengers) .

I have personally NEVER had an inclination to hang my ankle on the bow rail while moving or at anchor/docked, but apparently it is a natural instinct for many,,, My wife is one of the many people who will put her feet up on the dashboard of the car, which to me is still horrifying to see after being married to her for almost 25years. I have warned her countless time of the frightening implications in a accident and/or if the airbag should go off, but it is apparently an urge that she cannot beat,,,

My point was/is, I dont see that and ankle over the bow rail (and it was actually written on the citation as "ankle over the bow rail") or a wrist should not be a fineable offense or even a concern. Sitting on the gunnel or the edge of the boat legs completely off the surface of the boat, or on the front deck of a closed bow boat is a completely different matter than a ankle or arm over a bow rail.

Like far too many controls in our society, there is no balance and the moral majority always seem to move the pendulum too far in the name of safety. The list of utter nonsensical restrictions in America to protect the completely stupid or to impose someones personal beliefs or preferences has gone past the point of reasonable. Rifles are bad because that are black, have a bayonette lug or pistol grip or a screw on muzzle break/flash suppressor and "you dont NEED that for hunting or self-defense" Rust holes on the outer body of the car will prevent you from getting an inspection sticker because it might let in carbon monoxide or someone might rub up against it and get a cut. Cities like Boston have restrictions on pocket knife blade length (theres is 2.5") I'm sure this does a lot to deter crime and stabbings in Boston,,, And so on,,,

Not really looking to elevate this to a major status item, just saying I think in the name of safety and working to protect the lowest common denominator, we expend too much energy on insignificant things and lose site of the big picture in too many instances.

Your opinions may vary and will. But like the current mask restrictions, I have serious doubts about the level of protection these extreme restrictions offer, but I am a dutiful citizen and I wear my mask where required and I do my best to keep my passengers arms and ankles inside the bow rail of my boat, and in the great state of Massachusetts I no longer buy non-conforming ugly guns so that the bayonet lug doesn't hurt anyone or the screw on muzzle break/flash suppressor cause honest citizens and law enforcement officer any concern that I might be a mass killer.

Clearly I have now gone

My apologies to all who will be offended, just had to get it out of my system.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
I am 100% certain it did not look like anything other than an ankle on the rail, it is a natural fit and seems to be the desire of far too many of my guests,,,

Re: "I have a lot of respect for MP and their training/ judgement.

I do too, thats why I assumed they were right and that was the law and I didnt attempt to fight it, and I still assume it is the the law and I still yell at my passengers for resting their ankle on the bow rail, or hanging their arm over the rail (another VERY common desire of passengers) .

I have personally NEVER had an inclination to hang my ankle on the bow rail while moving or at anchor/docked, but apparently it is a natural instinct for many,,, My wife is one of the many people who will put her feet up on the dashboard of the car, which to me is still horrifying to see after being married to her for almost 25years. I have warned her countless time of the frightening implications in a accident and/or if the airbag should go off, but it is apparently an urge that she cannot beat,,,

My point was/is, I dont see that and ankle over the bow rail (and it was actually written on the citation as "ankle over the bow rail") or a wrist should not be a fineable offense or even a concern. Sitting on the gunnel or the edge of the boat legs completely off the surface of the boat, or on the front deck of a closed bow boat is a completely different matter than a ankle or arm over a bow rail.

Like far too many controls in our society, there is no balance and the moral majority always seem to move the pendulum too far in the name of safety. The list of utter nonsensical restrictions in America to protect the completely stupid or to impose someones personal beliefs or preferences has gone past the point of reasonable. Rifles are bad because that are black, have a bayonette lug or pistol grip or a screw on muzzle break/flash suppressor and "you dont NEED that for hunting or self-defense" Rust holes on the outer body of the car will prevent you from getting an inspection sticker because it might let in carbon monoxide or someone might rub up against it and get a cut. Cities like Boston have restrictions on pocket knife blade length (theres is 2.5") I'm sure this does a lot to deter crime and stabbings in Boston,,, And so on,,,

Not really looking to elevate this to a major status item, just saying I think in the name of safety and working to protect the lowest common denominator, we expend too much energy on insignificant things and lose site of the big picture in too many instances.

Your opinions may vary and will. But like the current mask restrictions, I have serious doubts about the level of protection these extreme restrictions offer, but I am a dutiful citizen and I wear my mask where required and I do my best to keep my passengers arms and ankles inside the bow rail of my boat, and in the great state of Massachusetts I no longer buy non-conforming ugly guns so that the bayonet lug doesn't hurt anyone or the screw on muzzle break/flash suppressor cause honest citizens and law enforcement officer any concern that I might be a mass killer.

Clearly I have now gone

My apologies to all who will be offended, just had to get it out of my system.
Throughout its history, UMass Lowell has had students commit suicide by jumping off the University Avenue bridge. In the early 00's, they installed a fence to prevent students from jumping off the bridge. A week after the installation, a student climbed the fence before jumping.

I think the line between safety and restriction is very difficult to find, especially when discussing life vs. damage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #18
XCR-700

As a UMass Lowell grad, I know this matter all too well.

Your comments are appreciated and thoughtful.

If there was a perfect solution to these matters, I would hope we could see it and would be smart enough to figure out how to implement the solutions without imposing too many or unreasonable restrictions.

Unfortunately it has been my observation that we rarely strike a good balance, and with every passing decade we become a country of more and more restrictions and less thoughtful and effective solutions.

That said the world is evolving faster and in different ways than we could have predicted, so what will be of concern 10 years from now and who if anyone will object to the changes is a mystery I cannot foresee.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

See it numerous times. Not just renters, but private boats as well!
I only boat during the week, and it is a common sight!

Last week a huge 'toon with 2 300 'rude, not only had children outside the railings, he was also towing kids in a huge tube through the channel!
I check to see who is the skipper. He was obviously paying attention to the party onboard instead of paying attention to driving.

Can't wait to see a serious accident and only then the marine patrol will pay attention.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:03 PM   #20
8gv

About ten years ago I was operating my boat at headway speed on the lake side of the Weirs channel.

A MP boat was idling about watching.

The officer noticed my teen aged boys, who were seated in the bow, each had an arm hanging over the side.

He shouted over to me "Their whole body must be in the boat while underway! That's an $85 [or maybe $65] ticket!"

While I have enough sense to know not to have them hang over the bow, I never considered their arm being over the side an issue.

Now I know.

I have been educated but not cited which works for me!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 01:27 AM   #21
CooperS7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
About ten years ago I was operating my boat at headway speed on the lake side of the Weirs channel.

The officer noticed my teen aged boys, who were seated in the bow, each had an arm hanging over the side.

He shouted over to me "Their whole body must be in the boat while underway! That's an $85 [or maybe $65] ticket!"

While I have enough sense to know not to have them hang over the bow, I never considered their arm being over the side an issue.

Now I know.

I don't ever recall reading or hearing anything beyond the RSA below.

270-D:7 Riding on Gunwales, Bow and Transom. – No person shall operate a motorboat or ride as a passenger in a motorboat while sitting on either the starboard or port gunwales or the transom, and no person shall straddle the bow while the motorboat is in operation underway.
CooperS7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:06 AM   #22
thinkxingu

Quote:

Now I know.

For real? Outside the railing/fencing I get, but hanging an arm over in open water? I see that all the time. I also do the same in my car every time I have the windows open. That's a little crazy.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #23
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
For real? Outside the railing/fencing I get, but hanging an arm over in open water? I see that all the time. I also do the same in my car every time I have the windows open. That's a little crazy.

I understand riding on the bow/transom, gunwales as being dangerous from a fall overboard concern. That was certainly the concern when the law was passed. The interpretation given above (no arms)_ means I can't reach for a post or hand a line to someone on the dock when docking. Presumably, this means I can't lean over to pick up a ski, hat, other dropped object?
I talked to Dave Barrett many years ago about similar enforcement issues. The summary was that mostly new officers took a while to gain some experience, especially if they were not previously boaters. Routine training and debriefings on these issues and an occasionally voided ticket evened things out as the season progressed. I think it is natural for anybody new on any job to want to show enthusiasm for the duties involved. A call across the water without an actual stop may have been a little over interpretation of the law, but no harm done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
DotRat (08-19-2020), thinkxingu (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #24
XCR-700

Quote:

Now I know.

Good to know I wasnt singled out, even though I was ticketed,,,
Old 08-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #25
XCR-700

Quote:

You can imagine how I felt after having been around power boat since diapers,,,

I politely challenged the violation, but like a good citizen, I took my ticket and paid the fine and tried not to let it change my perspective of the good work the MP does even if I did not agree with the standard and the penalty.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #26
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
A call across the water without an actual stop may have been a little over interpretation of the law, but no harm done.
"no harm done"

Says you, I paid a fine for an ankle over a railing.

An ankle!

Now years later I might be less annoyed if I could even honestly say we were horsing around or acting unsafe in any way, but we were not. And as best I recall were were in a no wake zone just idling along,,,

And interestingly in concert with your comments about new Officers, it was a relatively young Officer and he was by himself.

Oh well, old history for me.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #27
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
"no harm done"

Says you, I paid a fine for an ankle over a railing.

An ankle!

Now years later I might be less annoyed if I could even honestly say we were horsing around or acting unsafe in any way, but we were not. And as best I recall were were in a no wake zone just idling along,,,

And interestingly in concert with your comments about new Officers, it was a relatively young Officer and he was by himself.

Oh well, old history for me.
Was the ankle attached to a foot???

In all seriousness, this is why law enforcement gets a bad name. Twice this year I’ve waved to an MP officer and I haven’t gotten a wave back. They just stared. “Whatever”....I say as I motor away. I’m a 35 year veteran of the emergency services and I’m sure if I were working on a scene with them, they’d be pleasant as all get out. When I’m out of a uniform and in a boat, I guess I’m another piece of lake trash looking for a ticket. Let me state for the record, I’m sure they are all not like this but my personal record this year doesn’t speak well to their community service. You’d think with the civil unrest around law enforcement, they’d be going out of their way to make a positive image for themselves. Again, I support law enforcement and have many friends that have worn the uniform. This is not about the profession, just about ill directed individuals wearing the uniform and thinking that earns them respect. Your actions earn you respect. Your uniform earns you compliance and a wave from me.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #28
thinkxingu

Every MP I've seen has waved to me this year. They've seemed young. One waved down a jetski bro (not mine) the other day and explained the 150' rule, from what I could hear, nicely.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:51 PM   #29
Jdarby

Quote:
Every MP I've seen has waved to me this year. They've seemed young. One waved down a jetski bro (not mine) the other day and explained the 150' rule, from what I could hear, nicely.

Glad to hear it! That’s the way it should be. Probably just bum luck for me. As I said, I don’t have a problem with the institution!
Old 08-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #30
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdarby View Post
Glad to hear it! That’s the way it should be. Probably just bum luck for me. As I said, I don’t have a problem with the institution!
It's such a weird year, I've given almost everyone a break!

Old 08-18-2020, 09:42 PM   #31
Descant

Default North Woods Law

Training and refresher training should be to watch 3 episodes of North Woods Law. For a variety of reasons, it was a mistake to make MP part of State Police instead of combining with Fish & Game, but state police were hungry for the federal Homeland Security money they got. Maine made the right decisions and let the Coast Guard guard the coast and combined inland waters with their F & G folks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
CooperS7777 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:21 AM   #32
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdarby View Post
Was the ankle attached to a foot???

In all seriousness, this is why law enforcement gets a bad name. Twice this year I’ve waved to an MP officer and I haven’t gotten a wave back. They just stared. “Whatever”....I say as I motor away. I’m a 35 year veteran of the emergency services and I’m sure if I were working on a scene with them, they’d be pleasant as all get out. When I’m out of a uniform and in a boat, I guess I’m another piece of lake trash looking for a ticket. Let me state for the record, I’m sure they are all not like this but my personal record this year doesn’t speak well to their community service. You’d think with the civil unrest around law enforcement, they’d be going out of their way to make a positive image for themselves. Again, I support law enforcement and have many friends that have worn the uniform. This is not about the profession, just about ill directed individuals wearing the uniform and thinking that earns them respect. Your actions earn you respect. Your uniform earns you compliance and a wave from me.
Well I think there was a foot attached to the ankle, and then the ankle was attached to a leg, which was inside the boat!

As for you experience with the NH MP, mine has been similar. I usually offer up a respectful wave, but lately I feel like it is returned with a scowl.

I dont stand in their boots so I have not taken it personally, but I am starting to feel like maybe I should just keep my eyes forward and not engage.

A; if they are not in a good mood no need to compound their bad day.

B; if they were told not to acknowledge the constant waves by boaters and focus on their jobs, I dont want to be the trouble maker.

C; I dont want a simple nod of respect to result in me being pulled over and drilled about life jackets and lights and whatever. I inspect my own boat before I leave the dock and its no fun to go through that process with passages onboard while floating in the open lake,,,

Others opinions, observations and experiences may vary,,,

And I am always happy to see the NH MP on the water!

Last edited by XCR-700; 08-19-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #33
8gv

As I was masking along the town docks in Meredith yesterday I saw a quite capable, twin engine Meredith patrol boat.

I wonder if that is an expense born only by Meredith or if the state chips in.

Does the town have some territory on the water that they are required to patrol?

Does the revenue model for a town's patrol boat include ticket money?

In the event of an emergency, these assets must be very helpful.

I just wonder how a town can afford the equipment and labor.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #34
FlyingScot

Quote:
As I was masking along the town docks in Meredith yesterday I saw a quite capable, twin engine Meredith patrol boat.

I wonder if that is an expense born only by Meredith or if the state chips in.

Does the town have some territory on the water that they are required to patrol?

Does the revenue model for a town's patrol boat include ticket money?

In the event of an emergency, these assets must be very helpful.

I just wonder how a town can afford the equipment and labor.
Tuftonboro also has a boat or two administered through the fire department/emergency services. Town pays for boat the same way it pays for other emergency stuff, mostly through taxes. I don't think they patrol or write tickets. Since most of the tax base is waterfront homes, this seems fair to me. I'm damn glad we have the boat--if I ever needed help on the water, MP is a LONG way from T'boro.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #35
gillygirl

Met a nice officer in the parking lot at MP while walking the dog yesterday evening as he was leaving work. Went out of his way to engage with me.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app