Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Fishy Cover

Default Tuftonborough Folk Music

We went to a surprisingly good folk concert Friday night at the White Church on Rt 109A in Tuftonborough. The featured artist was Lui Collins who was both talented and entertaining. Although we had never heard of her before, she has been an important part of the New England folk music scene for many years and was a pleasure to listen to.

Bill Staines will perform on November 6th-- he is an extraordinarily talented composer and singer who was an important part of the Cambridge folk revival in the 60's and now lives here in NH. We have seen him before and look forward to seeing him again.

Tuftonborough Music also holds open mike nights about once a month-- we have attended a few and really enjoy seeing the local talent.

This effort to bring live, top quality performers deserves support and I hope that forum readers will attend concerts and open mikes.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Chickie

Default Folk Music

I have been a folk music fan since I was a child and first heard Burl Ives on the radio. I was inspired to learn to play the guitar and found one under my tree one Christmas morn when I was about nine. I first learned to play chords to accompany myself singing and when folk music came into its own in the ‘60’s, I learned the finger picking style from a guitar course on Channel 11. It has been a source of enjoyment for me throughout my life.

Bill Staines is indeed an extraordinary entertainer and songwriter. It is interesting to see him play, as he is a left handed player - frets with his right hand and picks with his left, so the position of the guitar is reversed. I love his novelty song “Place In the Choir”. If you like folk music, you will love Bill Staines. I didn’t know he was living in New Hampshire now.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
old coot
Deceased Member

A Google search reveals that it is the poster and not the concert sponsors who are misspelling Tuftonboro.
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Bill Staines

Sounds like a talenten man.

Bill Staines Concert Tour - There are a few NH venues on his very ambitious schedule.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Any idea how to get tickets for Bill's show? Also, when are the open mike nights?

Took my 1961 Gibson B-45 12 string out of it's case last week for the first time in at least 30 years. It's road worn and needs a good cleaning, but I plan to get it up and running this week. I can't wait to hear it again! It would be nice to take it to an open mike and do a few tunes!
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
The Eagle

Default 1961 Gibson, needs tune up!

Saw your post...go to the music store in Wolfeboro, if you want it tuned right! Thay are great!
The Eagle

Last edited by The Eagle; 10-24-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Fishy Cover

Default www.tuftonboroughmusic.com

Try www.tuftonboroughmusic.com. You'll see the performance schedules and open mike dates.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishy Cover For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Correction

http://tuftonboromusic.com/

I think Moultonborough is the only LR town that uses the full 'borough spelling. Wolfeboro and Tuftonborough do not.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Thanks for the link! I'll check out!

I've bought a few things from the Folk Cellar. Nice place and nice people! Doing their open mic is on my list of things to do also.

I'll be doing the tune up on the Gibson. It only needs a cleaning and strings. I'll check the neck and adjust the truss rod if necessary. It has the old style bridge with adjustment screws, so it's easy to get the action right. I bought it from Rick Shaw in 1966, and when I got it it was pretty road worn then. Rick had lent it to a friend in Boston who hadn't taken very good care of it. It has the typical cracks in the top next to the neck, the finish is worn off the back of the neck from sliding an old clamp capo, and the finish on back of the guitar is worn, But, at the time, the price was right, and it was the first quality guitar I'd ever owned.

Other guitars came and went, but I always held on to the Gibson. My main gig guitar is a Takamine 12 string acoustic electric that sounds and plays great, and the built in pick-up makes it easy to control the sound. I have another Takamine 12 string "Martin Law Suit" model, and a La Patrie classical that I bought last year. A lot of guitars for someone who only plays out a few times a year.

Got a few outdoor chores to get through, then I'll spend an afternoon on the Gibson.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Great Show!

Went to the Bill Stains show tonight and had a great time! Nice music, and you'd be hard pressed to find a more appropriate venue for Folk Music! Think I'll stop down to the open mic next Saturday and play a couple of songs. If you go, bring a nice soft cushion! They have them there, but those pews are hard!!! The music makes it worth it though!

Got the Gibson cleaned up and re-strung and it still sounds good. It still has that classic "Walk Right In" sound. But it needs a little more work before it's ready for prime time. Gibson used an adjustable wooden bridge pin, and it seems to mute the high notes. Gonna see if there is a replacement that will brighten it up. But that bottom end still has that great booming sound that I remember. But it's out of the case and on a stand in the living room where it will get played, and that's what's important!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
The Eagle

Default Folk Celler

Hi Prop-be-gone,
I went to Wolfeboro yesterday to the Folk Celler, and I am having a "Classic Guitar" restrung. It is a 1967 Silvertone, Coral Blue, with a Whammy bar. I wanted to have it done right, so the Folk Celler is where I went. Great "new guitars," and used ones there. I wish I had the money to buy a new toy, but my wife was with me so all I could do was look. They are great folks to just talk with too! I just got this "Classic Silvertone," and you seem to know a bit about older guitars. DO you know anything about this year and Model? I know they were sold by Sears, used by just about every "Garage Band," in the 60's and are very collectible. It was given to me by an old high school classmate, who moved it from closet to closet for years, and never opened it since High School, over 40 years ago. Perfect condition. I can't wait to play it!
"The Eagle"
Old 11-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
LakesRegionSpirit

I did a story on the musicians at the Church in the spring. Read it here: http://lakesregionspirit.com/lrsmag/?p=1054
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LakesRegionSpirit For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (11-08-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Re: 1967 Silvertone

Hi Eagle

Unfortunately, I don't know much about electric guitars. I was into Folk Music and acoustic instruments in the 60's. But judging by what I've seen on ebay, what were considered "starter guitars" back then, both acoustic and electric, seem to be going for pretty big bucks now. For instance, the first 12 string I ever had was a Stella, made by Harmony. I bought it brand new at Ted Herbert's Music Mart somewhere around 1965 for about $40 with a cardboard case. They regularly sell now on ebay for over $200! Another guitar I had in the 60's was a Harmony Sovereign. It was about $80 new, and they go for a couple of hundred on ebay. There's even one guy trying to get $1000!

I may be wrong on this, but back then I believe that the Silvertone instruments sold by Sears were made by Harmony, which made decent guitars for the money. I remember a friend had a Silvertone electric guitar that had a case that doubled as an amplifier. And I had a Silvertone classical back in high school.

Probably the best place to look for more information would be to find an old Sears catalog on ebay. You can also check the ebay listings for that guitar. If you check "completed listings" you can see what the guitars actually sold for on ebay, and, with current listings, toss an email to the seller and see what they may know about the guitar.

My wife has informed me that I'll be at the open mic in Tuftonboro this Saturday. I'll have my Takamine 12 string. The Gibson, unfortunately, will be staying home; it currently doesn't play as well as the Takamine, and I don't have much in the way of callouses on my fingers anymore. But I've been working all week to try to change that!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Prop-B-Gone View Post
Hi Eagle

Unfortunately, I don't know much about electric guitars. I was into Folk Music and acoustic instruments in the 60's. But judging by what I've seen on ebay, what were considered "starter guitars" back then, both acoustic and electric, seem to be going for pretty big bucks now. For instance, the first 12 string I ever had was a Stella, made by Harmony. I bought it brand new at Ted Herbert's Music Mart somewhere around 1965 for about $40 with a cardboard case. They regularly sell now on ebay for over $200! Another guitar I had in the 60's was a Harmony Sovereign. It was about $80 new, and they go for a couple of hundred on ebay. There's even one guy trying to get $1000!

I may be wrong on this, but back then I believe that the Silvertone instruments sold by Sears were made by Harmony, which made decent guitars for the money. I remember a friend had a Silvertone electric guitar that had a case that doubled as an amplifier. And I had a Silvertone classical back in high school.

Probably the best place to look for more information would be to find an old Sears catalog on ebay. You can also check the ebay listings for that guitar. If you check "completed listings" you can see what the guitars actually sold for on ebay, and, with current listings, toss an email to the seller and see what they may know about the guitar.

My wife has informed me that I'll be at the open mic in Tuftonboro this Saturday. I'll have my Takamine 12 string. The Gibson, unfortunately, will be staying home; it currently doesn't play as well as the Takamine, and I don't have much in the way of callouses on my fingers anymore. But I've been working all week to try to change that!

I wish I knew more about the guitars I am selling for a friend, I just sold a Harmony for 60.00 and still have a Ventura V13 and a Goya classical and an Ariana for sale. Ebay would be a better venue but shipping would be too much. So i am trying CL, and I also have a Mayfair tenor banjo listed here on this classified. Selling things you do not fully understand is hard even with research.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
The Eagle

Default Silvertone guitar

Hi Mr. Prop-B-Gone,
Thank you for your information. You are right, the Silvertone was a Harmony Guitar sold by Sears. I think it was sold between 1965 and 1967. From what I have found out, the one I have is "Extremely Desireable," by collectors, even though, it is not one that had the Amp. in the case. It has 4 pick ups (which I was told is rare), and a Wha-wa bar, and is in mint shape. I was told it is valued between $800 and $1200, but I have absolutely no intentions of selling it. (since it was a "gift" from friend, I will cherish it and play it.) If you go to the "Folk Celler," ask them to show it to you. Just let them know I told you it was there for new strings. It will be there until I pick it up on Thanksgiving weekend. I have a wedding this weekend, down here, so I won't be able to come to the open Mike night. I would love to go and "meet you," and others who love Acoustic Folk music.
"The Eagle"
Old 11-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #16
Argie's Wife

Argie says there's two different types of Harmony guitars; Silvertone was made by Danelectro in the late 1960's. The Harmony name was bought out by Samick and they now use the name but didn't turn out as high quality of a product. For many electric guitar players, the Silvertone Guitar with an amp in the case from Sears was their first guitar.

There's a blue book for guitars:

Blue Book for Acoustic Guitars

Blue Book for Electric Guitars

...and Mr. Props - take it from this bass player... the superglue-on-your-fingertips-for-callouses trick works... just don't pat the cat while the glue is drying...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Hmmmmm..... Hadn't heard about superglue. Probably should be sure it's dry before trying to play something, too! Playing one chord all night just doesn't work, even in Folk Music!

Eagle's guitar sounds very cool! Almost made it to the Folk Cellar yesterday, but I got stuck doing yard work. I'll ask about it when I get there, probably next week.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #18
The Eagle

Default Silvertone

Hi Prop-B-Gone,
I did a little research and found an identical "Silvertone" to mine. Here is the link so you will see what it looks like. Still ask at the "Folk Celler" to show it to you. I'm going to pick it up Thanksgiving Weekend.

http://www.vintagesilvertones.com/fo...one_et460.html

"The Eagle"
Old 11-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #19
Seeker

My Gibson B45-12 is over at the Folk Cellar for repair. Had a new bridge put on it about 15 years ago but the guy was useless. Hopefully they can fix it up then I'll sell it. I've had it 46 years and it's time to let go. They did a super job on a tune up on one of my Martins. I cpmplained about the way it played for the 19 years I've owned it. Now it plays like butter.
Nice to finally have a quality shop in the area.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Hey Eagle

Kool Guitar! I'm going to the Folk Cellar tomorrow if the fates allow; I'll ask them to show it to me. I'll bet you can get all kinds of interesting sounds with 4 pick-ups, and it sounds like the guys at the Folk Cellar know how to set it up right. Let me know how it plays when you get it back.

Had a great time last weekend at the Old White Church, and I'm going to do the open mic at the Strawberry Patch this Friday. I plan to make these a regular thing. It's really nice to play for people who are there for the music!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #21
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Hi again Eagle

Stopped in to the Folk Cellar this afternoon and checked out your Silvertone. Really nice condition! A nice solid feel to it. Ought to be interesting to hear what kind of sounds it makes with all those pick-ups when it's plugged in. Interestingly enough, I'm listening to The Ventures playing Walk, Don't Run, as I'm writing this. I can just hear this guitar playing it!

Gonna try to make it to the open mic at the Strawberry Patch Friday night. If you're around, Come over and say hello. I'll have my Takamine 12 string.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #22
The Eagle

Default Should have given it a try!

Hi Prop-B-Gone,
Glad you liked it! You should have given it a try! I would not have minded at all. Isn't in great shape for an Oldie! Now All I need to do is LEARN how to paly it! LOL!
The Eagle
Old 12-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #23
Rag Top Daze

Default Your knee song was very funny

Hi Fishy,

It was a pleasure to meet you and listen tonight at the Tuftonboro Church. You and your wife are very entertaining! Funny how the entire group latched onto the knee thing I do hope more people will read this post and join us during the winter. Will try to remember, when we get the date for January, to post it here.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Kitty (and her knee!)

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote