Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
sarc

Default Island Access via hiking/xc skiing for Hiking

I'm fairly new to the area and this is my first winter here. One of my favorite things to do with my dogs this summer was explore and hike some of the islands (especially Stonedam) and I'm hoping we can still do that this winter! Because I'm so new here, I know very little about the safer places to go and the ones to avoid. Just looking for some suggestions (access points and routes) for walking/skiing across to the lake and islands to explore. I'm in Gilford, but looking for places anywhere between Alton and Moultonborough. Also, is there a safe/recommended way to access Stonedam in the winter? I've seen a few things about how Sally's Gut usually doesnt freeze. Thank you!!
sarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Phantom

If you took notice in another thread, the Alton Winter Carnival was cancelled this weekend due to ice conditions.

I (personally) would have grave reservations venturing out ALONE to an island -- especially as a novice (no offense) to the area.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
sarc

Thanks for the reply. I would never go alone, I did not see that the carnival was cancelled and I fully recognize that I'm a novice hence my asking for more information here!
sarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Here's a good alternative

Snowshoe hike is Feb. 21
ALTON — Come and explore the outdoors on a trail that is sure to please everyone. The Society for the Protection of NH Forest’s Morse Preserve in Alton Bay is one of the finest views for the amount of effort expended. Strap on your snowshoes and enjoy the great view of the Belknap Range and Lake Winnipesaukee. The Morse Preserve’s 1.7-mile Loop Trail includes gradual inclines through fields and forests opening up to a beautiful view of Lake Winnipesaukee and the Belknap Range. Parking is available at the Mike Burke Parking Lot an eighth of a mile north of the trailhead on Avery Hill Road in Alton Bay. The group will meet at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 21, in the Mike Burke Parking Lot. Dress in warm layers, bring water and your lunch. Snowshoes recommended depending on amount of snowcover. Hike will be led by Forest Society Landstewards Kenneth and Suzanne Marvin. Register by e-mailing Ksmarvin@gmail.com. Dogs are not allowed on this hike.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
If you took notice in another thread, the Alton Winter Carnival was cancelled this weekend due to ice conditions.

I (personally) would have grave reservations venturing out ALONE to an island -- especially as a novice (no offense) to the area.

Phantom: The carnival was cancelled due to a combination of wind, low temperatures and slush under the snow. The latter factor is due to the heavy snow cover which tends to melt the bottom layer of snow. From all indications, the thickness of the ice is fine in most places. I think your post implies that thin ice was a factor in canceling the event, which isn't the case. That being said, I do agree with your advice that folks venturing out should never go alone.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links