Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Boat trailer serial numbers

Hello All,
Need your advice. I recently purchased a couple Seadoo's that came on a double trailer. When we were doing the bill of sale we could not find any serial numbers or ID other than a very faded sticker that nothing was legible. What info do I need so I can get the trailer registered? Waiting for your guidance!!

The previous owner never registered it so I can not get previous registration

Last edited by Old Hubbard Rd; 09-12-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Add info
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
codeman671

Was the trailer previously registered or do they have the cert of origin? You can apply for a new vin to be assigned by the state. You will have to have the trailer inspected at the DMV by an officer to have a new one assigned. Been through that before.

Lucky for you the trailer is under the weight limit and you don't need to worry about a title. It is a lot easier when no titling is needed.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
TheProfessor

Homemade trailor.

Just tell town clerk trailor is homemade. They have provisions for this.

If you can get a copy of previous registration then use that number.

The previous owner can go to their town clerk and look up records.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
Old Hubbard Rd (09-12-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Fishy Cover

Default Make it up

It is quicker and easier if you just make up your own-- make it a long # with alpha and numeric characters-- and write it on the trailer with a Sharpie pen.

This will save everybody time & red tape-- and what public purpose is subverted?
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishy Cover For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Cover View Post
It is quicker and easier if you just make up your own-- make it a long # with alpha and numeric characters-- and write it on the trailer with a Sharpie pen.

This will save everybody time & red tape-- and what public purpose is subverted?
What are you talking about? One cannot just create their own vin#...Even on a home made the state issues it.

If the previous person has a registration, you can re-register it with the vin they give you and should not need an officer to do a vin verification. The only time you will run into an issue is if you go to resell it to someone outside of NH.

If the trailer is branded (if you know the mfg) and have the vin# from documents sometimes you can call te mfg and have them print a new mfg tag. I have had to do this before as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Kamper

My very recent experience is that if you have a copy of the previous NH registration you will not need the trailer to be inspected. The clerk will give you new plates with that and the bill-of-sale.

Next year... Call the DMV and tell them the VIN tag is missing/illegible and ask them what to do in case you want to sell it.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
SAB1

Professor is correct. Just went thru this. If you do not havea VIN # go to the town clerk. She will give you a form to have one assigned and she will send you to the police office. There, they will give you an appt to come see the trailer and they will assign you one and record it on the form that then goes back to the Clerk. Been there, done that.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default Makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
What are you talking about? One cannot just create their own vin#...Even on a home made the state issues it.

If the previous person has a registration, you can re-register it with the vin they give you and should not need an officer to do a vin verification. The only time you will run into an issue is if you go to resell it to someone outside of NH.

If the trailer is branded (if you know the mfg) and have the vin# from documents sometimes you can call te mfg and have them print a new mfg tag. I have had to do this before as well.
If my info is correct Fishy Cover is one of the two from All Quality construction that has been screwing people over.
I guess it stands to reason he would make a suggestion like that. The other one just got sent to jail I was told via e-mail just yesterday.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
NoBozo

I bought my boat from a local dealer in Wolfeboro (I'm in RI) and the trailer had no Ser. Number..OR ANY Trace..NO shadows of a Sticker on the galvanized trailer. The boat and trailer were about 10 years old at the time.

Lotta mail (Paper) between me and the dealer. The dealer Made Up a Long number for the trailer....Put it in writing..It worked. OLD trailers in RI don't need "Inspection". So I guess it all DEPENDS. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post

This is correct. I also got a replacement sticker from a manufacturer (Eagle Trailers to be specific). I had a title and was selling to a Canadian guy who insisted the trailer have a legible VIN# for Canadian customs.

I also had a homemade trailer registered last year. State issued the VIN and provided a VIN Sticker. Local police came and inspected trailer.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I bought my boat from a local dealer in Wolfeboro (I'm in RI) and the trailer had no Ser. Number..OR ANY Trace..NO shadows of a Sticker on the galvanized trailer. The boat and trailer were about 10 years old at the time.

Lotta mail (Paper) between me and the dealer. The dealer Made Up a Long number for the trailer....Put it in writing..It worked. OLD trailers in RI don't need "Inspection". So I guess it all DEPENDS. NB
A jet ski trailer in nh would not need an "inspection", except for vin verification. I would still push back on the dealer to make sure the proper numbers are on the trailer. It could impact you later.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Professor is correct. Just went thru this. If you do not havea VIN # go to the town clerk. She will give you a form to have one assigned and she will send you to the police office. There, they will give you an appt to come see the trailer and they will assign you one and record it on the form that then goes back to the Clerk. Been there, done that.
This is the exact procedure a neighbor of ours had to follow several years ago when he bought a trailer from another individual who had not registered it. To be legal, a police officer from your local department must come and view the trailer, then fill out the form and assign a VIN.
Old Hubbard Rd (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
NoBozo

In Rhode Island, WE don't have the option to go to the Town Clerk. We have to go directly to the DEM in Providence. They are the Ones.

We are proud to set the Standard for what a Proper Bureaucrat should be. I can't wait to move to NH. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
This is correct. I also got a replacement sticker from a manufacturer (Eagle Trailers to be specific). I had a title and was selling to a Canadian guy who insisted the trailer have a legible VIN# for Canadian customs.

I also had a homemade trailer registered last year. State issued the VIN and provided a VIN Sticker. Local police came and inspected trailer.
I went to the Belmont town office and did just get a number from them for a home made trailer. At least I believe they issued one. It was a while ago but I do know that the state was not involved.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I went to the Belmont town office and did just get a number from them for a home made trailer. At least I believe they issued one. It was a while ago but I do know that the state was not involved.
Got mine from the town too, but same as your registration, comes from the state. My plates say New Hampshire and not Moultonboro, but got them at town hall.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote