Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default I need a good chiropractor....

Anyone know of or use a good chiropractor around the lake someplace close to Moultonborough. I have a herniated disc that needs some TLC. It's not real bad. YET! So I would like to get it taken care of or at least try it with a Chiropractor first at least. I couldn't get it taken care of before my other issues were taken care of. I mean why fix the neck if I didn't make it through the other operation....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Lakesrider

Nobody? Google time I guess.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
hilltopper

Check out today's Laconia Daily Sun. Threre's a one page write up about a chiropractor. It's strange...i'm not sure if it's a paid advertisement or what.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Barbara

My herniated disc was real bad....a ten on a pain scale of one to ten. Acupuncture was a MIRACLE for me!
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Lakesrider

Really. Did the acupuncture cure the disc though?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,386 Times in 960 Posts

There is a fairly new one in Wolfeboro, I can't remember his name though. I think he is at or around the Wolfeboro Marketplace. He supposedly has all the state of the art things and people seem to like him.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Really. Did the acupuncture cure the disc though?
I was pain free for about a yea nd a half. After doing some foolish heavy lifting, the pain returned. An MRI done then was exactly the same as the one I had when the herniated disc was diagnosed. The herniation was still there pressing on the sciatic nerve. I had another course of acupuncture and the pain again disappeared. That was five years ago. I've been fine ever since. I'm sure if I had an MRI done today, it would look the same as it did when all this first happened. The acupuncture doesn't repair the disc, it relieves the pain.

My husband has had acupuncture for bursitis in his hip and in his shoulder on two different occasions and his pai was relieved both times. My doctor performs acupuncture. I went to her initially just for acupuncture and liked her so much that I made her my primary care physician.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbara For This Useful Post:
Lakesrider (06-08-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
lawn psycho

My advice is to get physical therapy over chiropractic work.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #9
ushaggerb

Quote:
Anyone know of or use a good chiropractor around the lake someplace close to Moultonborough. I have a herniated disc that needs some TLC. It's not real bad. YET! So I would like to get it taken care of or at least try it with a Chiropractor first at least. I couldn't get it taken care of before my other issues were taken care of. I mean why fix the neck if I didn't make it through the other operation....
I'd recommend a good orthopod over a chiropractor, particularly one who specializes in sports medicine. Seems like there's a group with a sports med focus. Don't know if they do backs. Could probably refer you out.
The Alpine Clinic
12 Yeaton Rd # C4
Plymouth, NH 03264
(603) 536-2270
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ushaggerb For This Useful Post:
Lakesrider (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Whimsey

Default Good Chiro

Mrs. Whimsey likes Dr. Diane Guerriere, 84 Bay St. in Wolfeboro for her back/neck issues.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whimsey For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (06-08-2012), Lakesrider (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default Good luck

Back problems just plain suck; I had bad issues after breaking my neck training for a watering tournament when in my early 20’s. For years I lived with pain then saw a really good chiropractor and he cured me of all my pain.
Now I use an inversion table, best thing in the world as far as I’m concerned.
It doesn’t cure all problems but it sure works wonders for my back and keeps me limber.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Jonas Pilot

The most important muscles in your back are your stomach muscles.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (06-10-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #13
chachee52

I'm a Physical Thereapist. As a proffesional I will tell you that once you have a herniated disc, it's there, you can't "cure" it. You can get rid of the pain though. In my opinion going to a chiropractor doesn't make sense (I know that there are people that will disagree with this). My reasoning: if the disc is heriated it means that the jelly like middle of the disc is starting to come out the side, this would lead to the height decrease in the space between the bones of that segment which leads to the ligaments loosening that hold this segment together. Chiropractors "crack" the jt using a high grade mobilization hense stretching the ligaments that are already loose. Do you feel better? Yes, most of the time for a short period of time, but the laxity will still be there.
As a PT we work on stabilizing the small muscles around the low back to help the irritation of the nerves around the disc.
I can't give you exercises because each person is different what they tolerate and what you respond to.
don't get me wrong, I personally have used Chiroprators and have sent some of my patients to them, but just not for disc issues.
chachee52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
Lakesrider

Thanks. this disc is way up high on my back. Right even with the top of my shoulder. I call it my neck joint. I know it isn't but it is where my neck bends the most. There is really no consensus on who to see about this. Maybe that new Spine Institute....?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
chachee52

Quote:
Thanks. this disc is way up high on my back. Right even with the top of my shoulder. I call it my neck joint. I know it isn't but it is where my neck bends the most. There is really no consensus on who to see about this. Maybe that new Spine Institute....?
It's part of your neck then, what I said still applies.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
Barbara

Quote:
Have you has an MRI to come up with the diagnosis of a herniated disc? When I injured my back, my insurance would not pay for an MRI. X-rays were done which didn't show the herniation. After nine PT sessions, and doing exercises prescribed by the therapist, my pain got worse and worse. Then my insurance approved the MRI which made the herniated disk pressing on the sciatic nerve clearly visible. My doctor sent me to an orthopedist who wanted to do surgery!!!!! I tried acupuncture as a last resort and for me it was miraculous.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Chiropractor

I could never find an insurance company that will pay for one! Most PCP would steer you to Orthopedics, never chiropractor.

Use to know a Dr. Herman Olsen in Meredith. He use to practice sports chiropractics or something like that. He had many of the old pros from the major francises in Boston travel up to see him.

NH Orthopedics in Manchester, NH is the best around. Been Top Docs in NH magazine for a decade. Local orthopedic recommend rod and wire to repair my left humerous. NH Orthopedics did a fantastic job with titanium plate and 13 titanium screws. I was told no one uses the rod and wire application any more. I guess the local doctors are on vacation!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
livenh

Default chiropractor

I have heard wonderful things about Awakenings, in Tilton. I go to Cedarcrest in Gilford and have had great results.
livenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
The most important muscles in your back are your stomach muscles.
Ding ding ding! Weak core = sore back
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #20
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Have you has an MRI to come up with the diagnosis of a herniated disc? When I injured my back, my insurance would not pay for an MRI. X-rays were done which didn't show the herniation. After nine PT sessions, and doing exercises prescribed by the therapist, my pain got worse and worse. Then my insurance approved the MRI which made the herniated disk pressing on the sciatic nerve clearly visible. My doctor sent me to an orthopedist who wanted to do surgery!!!!! I tried acupuncture as a last resort and for me it was miraculous.
I agree, that a lot of insurance companies are going this route. I have been pretty good about telling people what the diagnosis is before they have an MRI. With listening to the patient and doing the right tests at good PT should be able to come to the route of the cause.
If I can't decrease the pain within 2 weeks or so, I usually then send them back for more testing to figure it out.
But the key here is to find the right diagnosis, with out that then how do you know the treatment will "fix" the problem or just come back in a week or two?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #21
XJLPS

Crossroads Chiropratic Meredith. I had a herniated disk 14 years ago in my lower back . I was in agony for almost a year after going through all the hoops for the insurance company . I found Dr. David Roth out of boston ( Uncle of rock star David Lee Roth ) . He did a mylagram and said he can help me . Went in for surgery in the morning and was home that evening and walked 3 miles the next morning and havent stopped since . The best thing I ever did !!!
XJLPS is offline   Reply With Quote