Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #1
Mink Islander

Default Gilford Island Mail question

I’ve moved up to my island house indefinitely so decided to have my mail forwarded. I set up a mail box at Glendale where all the Gilford island mailboxes are. Even had to add a new level to make space for it!

On Monday my wife mailed a test letter to the Gilford Island address from the Meredith Post Office. Here it is Thursday and it’s not been delivered.

Near as I can tell the Gilford Post Office is unmanned. How do I get in touch with the Gilford Postmaster? The phone number listed just rings off the hook.

Any Gilford Island residents out there that know something I obviously do not?

Thanks very much.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
I’ve moved up to my island house indefinitely so decided to have my mail forwarded. I set up a mail box at Glendale where all the Gilford island mailboxes are. Even had to add a new level to make space for it!

On Monday my wife mailed a test letter to the Gilford Island address from the Meredith Post Office. Here it is Thursday and it’s not been delivered.

Near as I can tell the Gilford Post Office is unmanned. How do I get in touch with the Gilford Postmaster? The phone number listed just rings off the hook.

Thanks very much.
Call the USPS 800 number and tell them you are having difficulties with the delivery of your mail, and would like the direct phone number for the office which is responsible for delivery of your mail.

They will provide that number if you push them, and then you can call and speak with a Supervisor or Postmaster.

NOTE: Many times you have to notify the Post Office that you are in residence and your address is "Ready to accept Delivery". They will get the word out to the responsible Rural Delivery Carrier and you should begin to receive delivery of your mail.

Stay safe, stay healthy!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
Mink Islander (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I think sometimes they hold it for a week and send it all at once. I wouldn't' expect regular delivery.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Mink Islander (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Gilford mail delivery is handled through the Laconia Post Office. Try calling them with your questions. When the recording answers before you make your selection you will enjoy the accent!

603-524-6271
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (04-24-2020), Mink Islander (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
steve-on-mark

Quote:

Thanks very much.
Maybe they're holding it for mailboat delivery...was a time when they delivered to Mark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Good Luck!

Like Tilton said, Gilford mail is handled through the Laconia Post office...they are the most horrible people on the planet! Good luck getting through or dealing with any of them there!...and this has nothing to do with Covid19. They have been that way for years!

Dan
Hillcountry (04-23-2020), Mink Islander (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #7
Mink Islander

Default Thanks all!

I’ll call them tomorrow and hope for the best!
Old 04-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Change to Alton Bay

Change your PO to Alton Bay and get a PO Box there. The office is open from 7am-7pm seven days per week.

While on your extended stay at the lake, when you go to the PO , you get a nice boost ride to get the mail, get lunch (eventually) at the Bay, then a nice leisurely ride back to the island. May even want to stop at West Alton or Minge Cove for gas.

I know, too late and too much trouble to change again, but then again, there's always next year .

Dave
Old 04-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Mink box?

We have our own box with a number, assigned by the PO, but occasionally find some mail in the old Welch Island box which the PO uses when they can't ID a particular recipient. Maybe there's a general Mink Island box? Check with others on Mink and see how their mail is addressed.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:07 AM   #10
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
Maybe they're holding it for mailboat delivery...was a time when they delivered to Mark.

I miss seeing Bella running down the dock with the mail bag in her mouth.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:33 AM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Change your PO to Alton Bay and get a PO Box there. The office is open from 7am-7pm seven days per week.

While on your extended stay at the lake, when you go to the PO , you get a nice boost ride to get the mail, get lunch (eventually) at the Bay, then a nice leisurely ride back to the island. May even want to stop at West Alton or Minge Cove for gas.

I know, too late and too much trouble to change again, but then again, there's always next year .

Dave
And Prudence who runs the Alton Bay PO is absolutely the best!

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Mink Islander (04-24-2020), upthesaukee (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 05:06 PM   #12
WJT2

Default Mink Islander Mail

I don't know when US Mail Boat begins deliver. DORIS E is doing the service. You could have your mail delivered to East Bear, Birch, or Jolly. Picking up mail and visiting mail boat was always a daily treat. Chance to sneak an ice cream!
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #13
Barney Bear

Default Oh Bummer!

No ice cream at East Bear. The mail Boat noses in and delivers and picks up a mail bag at a private dock. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #14
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I miss seeing Bella running down the dock with the mail bag in her mouth.
I know...seems like only yesterday...maybe Charlotte can be trained to do that...nah!

Old 04-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #15
hkephart

Quote:
I’ll call them tomorrow and hope for the best!
How did calling the post office work out? Mail box looks good and room for more boxes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
hkephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #16
Mink Islander

Default The outcome....

Well I tried to call the post office several times over several hours and no one ever picked up after I selected “option 1” for delivery issues. Sheesh.

So, I had some errands to run anyway so I added a visit to the Laconia Post Office to my list for Friday. The gentleman behind the counter was very nice and polite. I explained my situation and at first he suggested that the forwarding notice really takes about two weeks to work. Then I told him that my wife had mailed a test letter from the Meredith PO direct to the Mink Island address on Monday and surely that would have arrived by Thursday - no forwarding involved. He said maybe the carrier didn’t know there was a mail box for my Mink Island address so was holding the mail? I said that there must be more than two dozen island resident mailboxes grouped together at Glendale so he might have checked... The counter clerk promised to notify the carrier that there was indeed a mailbox for my address. Like magic, mail arrived on Saturday.

The Post Office is certainly a clunky place to deal with at times. But once I talked to a real person, things seem to have gotten straightened out. As I said, the fellow I dealt with was very nice and professional. Absolutely no issues there. Alls well that ends well and all that.

And if there are any other Gilford Island residents who never installed a mailbox before due to lack of space amongst the other Glendale mailboxes, I added about 8 feet of space for more mailboxes by creating a new row on top of one of the existing rows. Plenty of space for everyone....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
Diana (04-25-2020), hkephart (04-26-2020), ishoot308 (04-26-2020), Slickcraft (04-26-2020), steve-on-mark (04-26-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 09:17 PM   #17
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Welch Island

In previous years, Welch Island residents cold get mail at the Welch Island box if they had not made arrangements for their own box. Lots of boxes in Glendale. I applaud the USPS for figuring it all out.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote