Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
LadyJane

Default bob houses

Just wondering...with the water temperature already climbing to levels that are a bit high for this time of the year, and looking at the web cams at the ice conditions, how do folks retrieve their bob houses when they've left them out there just a little too long? I was up last month and found if fascinating to watch people bringing them out. However I hate to think of someone getting into a risky situation in retrieving them at the end of the season.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default A good question

Judging by the amount of them sitting on bottom, I'd say they really don't care. Just in Glendale bay there are eight of them in all sorts of disrepair on the bottom. Wolfeboro bay there's another ten or so that I've come upon.

Actually, it’s kind of neat to find one, because there’s always some sort of treasure there. You know that old saying; “One man’s trash is another treasure”… Well, it’s true if you weight long enough.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
NoBozo

I wonder why a Wooden bob house would just sink to the bottom. The last time I checked ..Wood Floats..... It's not like they have an 850 pound IRON engine inside to drag them down. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
sandwichgal

Question Bobhouses

Any bob house that goes through the ice and is found there after April 1 (correct me if this date is wrong) carries a daily fine that is pretty hefty.
That is the reason every bobhouse has to show name and address clearly on the outside of same. And I too question a bobhouse sinking-----there are holes in the bottom!!!!
sandwichgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Well, Mr. Bozo

No disrespect meant, but maybe you should have paid a little more attention in science class. Seems like, you missed that part on buoyancy, water content versus air content of cellulous and the rate of exchange for different species.

Half of all the objects on the bottom of the lake are wood. Logs, planks, boats, trees, chairs, did I mention bob houses, docks, decks. Heck don't take my word for it; get a mask and some fins and dive down and check it out for yourself. You won't have to go very deep or far to find something wooden sitting on the bottom. Bob houses are very prevalent down there and as far as reading the name and addresses on them, so I can return them to the rightful owner... think again. But, I suspect you knew that and you were just Bozoing me for a response
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers View Post
No disrespect meant, but maybe you should have paid a little more attention in science class. Seems like, you missed that part on buoyancy, water content versus air content of cellulous and the rate of exchange for different species.

Half of all the objects on the bottom of the lake are wood. Logs, planks, boats, trees, chairs, did I mention bob houses, docks, decks. Heck don't take my word for it; get a mask and some fins and dive down and check it out for yourself. You won't have to go very deep or far to find something wooden sitting on the bottom. Bob houses are very prevalent down there and as far as reading the name and addresses on them, so I can return them to the rightful owner... think again. But, I suspect you knew that and you were just Bozoing me for a response
No disrespect taken. I am aware that wood soaks up water over time and will eventually sink. The key words here are Over Time. Some species of wood will soak up faster than others. I expect the wood used for building bob houses is most likely the cheapest and lightest wood available, making them likely to soak up water and become "waterlogged" faster than say ....kiln dried oak.

Remember those popular videos the media like to play, of whole houses "floating" down the river wih hapless victims sitting on the roof, waiting for rescue. NB

PS: I tried SCUBA diving back in the Fifties..not long after Jacques Cousteau invented it. It was pretty scary. Nope. Not going there.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
PS: I tried SCUBA diving back in the Fifties..not long after Jacques Cousteau invented it.....
And here I thought it was Lloyd Bridges..
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Quote:
I wonder why a Wooden bob house would just sink to the bottom. The last time I checked ..Wood Floats..... It's not like they have an 850 pound IRON engine inside to drag them down. NB

Methinks that could be the bob house will float for a spell b4 the plywood-particle board-whatever will absorb enuf water, & sink.

If anyone is looking to add flotation to their bobhouse-Ranger-atv-old sailboat-Chevy pickup or whatever; maybe try using el cheapo beach balls or inner tubes designed for trucks. The Quonnset Hut in west Plymouth sells medium small, made in China, low quality, black inner tubes for about $18. Any hot tips for finding a quality Goodyear-Bridgestone-Michelin inner tube at an el cheapo price....or a used inner tube? The $18 chinese tubes seem to lose air over time? I want to find an inner tube made by UAW labor in Ohio, but at a Wal-Mart-Chinese price....lol?

Anyone know where in Laconia inner tubes are sold like at a tire store or junk yard or VIP or somewhere and how much?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-25-2010 at 01:11 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
NoBozo

WAIT: I just thought of a brilliant idea that everyone will like. We need Building Codes for bob houses.. and mandated flotation. Annual State inspection would also be required, including flotation tests to make sure these pieces of sporting equipment do not sink and Litter the lake bottom, ...which apparently is occurring all too often.

Every Legal bob house would be issued an inspection sticker indicating proper conformance. An annual fee of course would be required which would be credited to the States Highway Fund for fixing potholes. NB
Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
RailroadJoe

Thanks NoBozo, then we can hire 50 more state workers and find another loophole to raise taxes.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
WeirsBeachBoater

Quote:
WAIT: I just thought of a brilliant idea that everyone will like. We need Building Codes for bob houses.. and mandated flotation. Annual State inspection would also be required, including flotation tests to make sure these pieces of sporting equipment do not sink and Litter the lake bottom, ...which apparently is occurring all too often.

Every Legal bob house would be issued an inspection sticker indicating proper conformance. An annual fee of course would be required which would be credited to the States Highway Fund for fixing potholes. NB
And if they aren' tied down and blow down the lake they better being doing 44mph or less.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Thanks NoBozo, then we can hire 50 more state workers and find another loophole to raise taxes.
TAX bob houses....?? I never thought of that. Fancy bob houses with more amenities would be taxed more..maybe per square foot...or maybe by weight.

If you make bob house fishing more expensive, it might save more fish from extinction. Hmmmmmmm

It's tough trying to watch the Health Care Summit and save the planet at the same time. Time for my nap. NB
Old 02-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
wifi

Depending where on the lake the bob house is placed, might invoke a view tax as well
Old 02-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
riverat

Old 02-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Hey,NoBozo......don't give any more ideas to the Moultonborough planning board...building codes,floatation,engineering studies,restrictions........they would love to do that to keep bobhouses off the lake.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #16
mcdude

Thanked 1,043 Times in 490 Posts

Front Page of the Citizen Today
Quote:
Mass Exodus

Friday, February 26, 2010

(DARYL CARLSON/CITIZEN PHOTO)

With ice conditions deteriorating quickly from the warm weather and rain, ice fisherman line up to remove their bobhouses from Meredith Bay early Thursday morning.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #17
angela4design

Default Frozen in

I guess a secondary problem is that, if we do get another good freeze, these icehouses that are sitting in slush will be frozen INTO the lake! How would you go about fixing THAT?
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #18
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
I guess a secondary problem is that, if we do get another good freeze, these icehouses that are sitting in slush will be frozen INTO the lake! How would you go about fixing THAT?
Chain saw and a lot of dragg'n would be my method
Old 02-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #19
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Lloyd Bridges Reference

Quote:
PS: I tried SCUBA diving back in the Fifties..not long after Jacques Cousteau invented it. It was pretty scary. Nope. Not going there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
And here I thought it was Lloyd Bridges..
For those who do not know, this is what wifi is referring to about Lloyd Bridges. Scroll down through the pictures.

Related to the Old Photos Lucette & Tom Keene - Dive Shop in The Weirs thread.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #20
NoRegrets

What a joy time tripping through these fantastic photos! Thank you so much for sharing!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #21
John A. Birdsall

Default Property tax

Should not the state of NH cast a property tax on these bob houses. They have some very lucritive "views" and it is not hard to get to.
seems to me that they could charge renters tax too. If they do this the next thing will be taxing his and her outhouses.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #22
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow From the NH Fish and Game Newsroom

From New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Newsroom

Bobhouse Owners: Use Extreme Caution on Ice

CONCORD, N.H. – The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is warning people to be cautious as they are trying to remove their bobhouses from the lakes. Following recent storms, there is more open water on many lakes and ponds, making ice conditions dangerous in some areas. People should not risk their safety to move a bobhouse in deteriorating conditions.

Bobhouses are the responsibility of the owner and by law must not be left to go into the water upon ice-out. There is an April 1 deadline to remove all bobhouses from frozen bodies of water; however, owners are encouraged not to wait until then -- rather, to watch the ice conditions and remove bobhouses when prudent and in a safe manner.

Ice safety should be paramount for anyone recreating on New Hampshire’s lakes and ponds. Don't assume ice is safe just because it's there.

Download Fish and Game’s "Safety on Ice" brochure at www.wildnh.com.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
idigtractors

Default Alton Bay

There were only 2 left in the Bay this morning around 10:30. There was also a lot of water at the end of the boat launching ramp.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #24
riverat

Default Walking the Plank in Meredith

Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #25
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Headed for the ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Chain saw and a lot of dragg'n would be my method
I'm thinking a pint of lighter fluid, a match and some hot dogs (or mebbe marshmellows) ...

Then again you'd prolly be carbon taxed.

BTW the last bob house in Alton Bay (2/27) ... looks like it's headed for the ramp.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #26
LadyJane

Default Be careful !!!

thanks for the great pics. Loved the diving photos too. Yes, I still see some bob houses out there even on the Wolfeboro web cam. If you're going out there please be careful !!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #27
riverat

Yes, Alton Bay is Bobhouse Free!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #28
HUH

Default Garbage in the lake

Seems like ive watched a bob-house or 5 go down the last few years.. C'mon guys.. get em off the lake..
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #29
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Bob House Rescue Posted by bclaker

I just visited the PhotoPost Gallery and found the following pictures of a dramatic Bob House Rescue in Meredith on Tuesday from the gallery of bclaker.

Thanks for these great pictures bclaker!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #30
LadyJane

Default bob house rescue

Whoooah ! great pics, thanks.
Thinking back on the "does it sink or does it float" discussion, It seems that any bob houses left out there would float for at least a while, presenting a big hazzard for early spring boaters, no?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #31
BlackCatIslander

Default Interesting Rescue

As we went by Meredith Bay yesterday morning, there were three bob houses that I thought would be on the lake bottom shortly. However, after seeing that rescue, maybe they all will saved for another winter.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #32
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Center Harbor?

Did they get the Trailer on shore? Last time I saw it the trail was about 30' from shore with one bob house half submerged between it ans the shore. Mount Cam does not pan far enough to the left to see where the trail was.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #33
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Did they get the Trailer on shore? Last time I saw it the trail was about 30' from shore with one bob house half submerged between it ans the shore. Mount Cam does not pan far enough to the left to see where the trail was.
Are you talking about the camper? If so, it's gone.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #34
Pineedles

The pictures posted are not in Centre Harbor. They are in Meredith Bay.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #35
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
The pictures posted are not in Centre Harbor. They are in Meredith Bay.
Yes, WINNOCTURN and I realize that. We were talking about some bobhouses just of the Center Harbor launch. One was a camper whose trailer frame was underwater. The other was a wooden bobhouse half submerged. The trailer is definitley out...not sure about the other bobhouse. My guess is that some good soul towed those close to shore for the owners without the owners even realizing.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #36
donnamatrix

Default How doe owners get fined

Right now (3/5/10) there are 3 bob houses on Meredith Bay, on ice that is quickly becoming water ... so, how does the state fine the owners? I thought that the owners have to pay to get the houses out of the water if they allow them to sink. Do you need a permit for a bobhouse? Clearly, ice fishing is not a hobby of mine!!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #37
riverat

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/News...al_032609.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Right now (3/5/10) there are 3 bob houses on Meredith Bay, on ice that is quickly becoming water ... so, how does the state fine the owners? I thought that the owners have to pay to get the houses out of the water if they allow them to sink. Do you need a permit for a bobhouse? Clearly, ice fishing is not a hobby of mine!!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #38
Lynnio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
I just visited the PhotoPost Gallery and found the following pictures of a dramatic Bob House Rescue in Meredith on Tuesday from the gallery of bclaker.
I drive thru Meredith on the way to and from work, and was wondering if any of them would ever get back to shore... and how! Great pics, bclaker - and educational as well.
Lynnio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #39
gf2020

I saw a few houses still out on the ice on Winnisquam on Saturday, several guys out there too. I'm not even sure how they got out on the ice as it looked like there was open water all the way around the lake.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #40
jetskier

Default Sunday

There were about 5 Bob Houses on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. I saw several people out there fishing on Sunday...amazing. Common sense seems to be rather uncommon.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #41
Sunrise Point

The bob houses are gone from the lake in front of our camp. We have ice about 2" thick at the shoreline. There were some fishermen and an ATV on the ice between Loon Island and Three Islands on Sat. and Sun. What great weather to be outdoors.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #42
Rattlesnake Gal

Exclamation These People are Pushing it!

I love the title of this photo!

From the gallery of bclaker.

Things That Will Soon Be Floating 3/7/2010 PM

Thanks again for sharing your great photos bclaker!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #43
jst_4_kiks

i saw that this morning while i was on my way to work. its about 6 to 10 feet from the edge of very thin ice. surprised its still out there. might fall through soon. float it and pull to shore.

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #44
hancoveguy

Default pushing it

pushing it would be an understatement
Attached Images

hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #45
Major problem

With the close-ups pics we can see why the ice hasn't all gone away yet. It's tied to those shanty's with rope!
Major problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #46
Steveo

At this point there is no safe way to get to them. They best wait until they fall in and float them to shore
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #47
WeirsBeachBoater

And then there was one........ The Green one went thru Meredith Bay today sometime. I will try and get a pic in the morning.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #48
jst_4_kiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater View Post
And then there was one........ The Green one went thru Meredith Bay today sometime. I will try and get a pic in the morning.
i noticed that today as well. it was there this morning on my way to work. and on my way home it was 3/4 through the ice. i tried to get a pic from my camera on my phone but it doesnt zoom all too well. maybe try again tomorrow but someone else might post a pic of it before i can. either way, that green one further out is sinking fast. it may be on the bottom by morning. the tan/plywood one close to the docks and edge is still there surprisingly. i was sure that one was going to go first.

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #49
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater View Post
In Meredith Bay tonight there were two bobhouses left. One was still on thin ice near the shore while the other one only had a bit of its' roof above water.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #50
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
In Meredith Bay tonight there were two bobhouses left. One was still on thin ice near the shore while the other one only had a bit of its' roof above water.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #51
martbri7

Default And then there were none "Bobhouses" that is....

Spring has sprung the final bobhouse in Meredith Bay has fallen....
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #52
hazelnut

Actually just mentioned this in another thread... Wonder what will happen with all that debris and I wonder how many other Bob Houses faced this same dilemma. It seems to have been a rather quick thaw and I am thinking more than one went through?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote