Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
The Eagle

Default 2011 slip/valet/marina prices - How much is too much?

I have not seen this discussed before so I am going to throw this one out there for comments. I have been at a "certain Marina," for 12 years now. When I came here, the Marina was "under New Management," and my slip for a 21 foot boat was about $1,200. It has gone up every year, with no "real" services, other than a mechanic (who is usually so busy service is never "on time.") parking is usually fairly good, and it does have toilets (which desperately need "a do over"). Every year the price has gone up, and up, and up. This year, it is up agin to $3,100, even though last year they had empty slips after their price increase. Since I just became Semi-Retired, and now my income is not what it used to be, I think it has finally "priced me out of the market, for that marina." So, here's my discussion question..."What do you pay at your marina, and what do they have for "services?" Are the owners (at this marina) "thinking" when they raise they rates that much, or am I "out of touch" with reality? There's only my wife and I, and she can't drive the boat or back a trailer up, so trailering is going to be a "Challange." Where can I find a marina with "Fair Prices," near Suissevale?
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
MDoug

Default How much is too much?

We now pay $2,400 for a 22' slip, up from $2,000 a few years ago. We are charged $75 extra for a second parking space, which often is taken by someone else. Main parking space also is dicey. It many times has been taken by others. The boat slip, too, often gets used by interlopers. Boat service is dicey, as well. One boat popped freeze plugs following inadequate winter storage drainage of engine. Boat sat up all summer season before engine was hauled out and repaired. Second boat's gas line burst inside the engine cowl, spewing fuel into the water while we were underway.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
wifi

Default Private Docks

Have you considered asking around to see if some lakefront owner would let you lease dock space from them? There would be no ameneties, not that it sounds like the marina you are at has very much, but I imagine the lakefront owners would appreciate a way to recoup a little of their tax $$. I have NO idea the going rate, if there is any, for private dock rental, perhaps others can chime in.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
robmac

I have been at Shep Browns Boat Basin for years. Service is great and timely,they have gas and a ships store. The pricing is IMHO very resonable in any economy which is one reson I am there. Make a call can't hurt.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Seeker

In the classifieds there are a couple slips that will hold a 25' boat at Quayside Yacht Club in Moultonboro across from Trexlers for $2300. I was there a couple years ago and the people are very friendly. Nice clean showers and heads, ice macine, pump out facility, etc. Private launch ramp. Might be worth considering, If you are a renter there are no pets allowed.

Last edited by Seeker; 03-04-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
AllAbourdon

"the point" across from Irwin in Paugus Bay is only about $90 a foot. There's a locking gate and a porta potty and dumpster along with ample parking. You can use the bath and shower at Irwin, just need to boat/drive over there.

Not near where you are looking but a reasonable option, especially for a day boater.
AllAbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

We own at Quayside. Took out an equity line of credit to buy it. My payment is only $700.00 per month plus the $450.00 yearly fee. ($700.00 because we are paying it off faster.) Nice bathrooms, ice machine, pump out etc...
You might think about buying.....Not that I have a slip for sale or anything.....
Our slip which is a front slip and holds a 30' boat would rent for $4,000 for the season.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
gf2020

So you are paying $3100 for a 21' boat? That's $147 per foot. That is expensive even by Boston Harbor standards, although not too bad by Cape Cod standards.

I guess it depends on what the going rate is in a new area that you want to keep your boat versus what you are paying now.

For what it's worth, I pay $650 per year to keep my 21' boat in a slip at a not for profit yacht club in Boston and that includes $100 of credit at the club bar!
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

I keep my 21 foot cuddy at Parker Marine in Alton Bay.
1995.00 for season
1475.00 for season if paid by 3/15
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Sue Doe-Nym

Your comments leave little doubt as to where you presently keep your boat. Based on where I think you are, the best place would be Dave Ladd at Lane's End Marina in Melvin Village. There are others in Moultonboro but they are not on the water. As mentioned above, you might ask around and try to get the use of a private dock in your immediate area. Most of these are by word of mouth so you might want to check with people who live along that waterfront road you are close to.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
MDoug

Default How much is too much?

I agree that Shep Brown's new owner is doing a good job, with reasonable prices. Only real complaint I've heard is that some slips are nearly inaccessible when the lake gets too low. This year, I also will ask around for private dock space on the mainland.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
sa meredith

Default thread

I just came on here to start a new thread...and found this one instead. I wonder if the web master can change the heading...something like "2011 slip/valet/marina prices."
Sort of like the gas price thread. The title now might not attract enough people.
I think it would be very useful for all boaters who are not waterfront people, to come on this forum and tell us what they are currently being asked to pay for this coming summer. I'm sure everyone has recently received their invoices for this year...and then all the prices could be compared in a single thread.
Ours....Paugus Bay Marina...24 foot bowrider. Unlimited valet service, including year round storage...$3000 if paid in full by 4/15/2011. $3200 after. It is getting steep, to be sure. We have considered May thru Oct service at other marinas (don't know if PBM offers just summer) but, in the end the convenience of not having to worry about ever moving the boat, wins out.
Couple things I'd mention about PBM...always seems to be plenty of off road parking...great parking lot.
Bathrooms always clean. Never a problem getting boat put right in...and no need to call ahead. Someone always ready to help out. Even on a weekend morning...they'll run two fork lifts, and have a dock hand at the dock, keeping things moving. Never, ever more than a 10/15 minute wait. Never. Employees are always very friendly, and quick to offer a hand, or answer a question. Very friendly people.
Cory, Eric, Reggie, Dave...all great to deal with. Sure I left out some names.
And, if you return late, there are several slips always available. No problem. The place really does run the right way. Boater friendly, to be sure.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
We own at Quayside. Took out an equity line of credit to buy it. My payment is only $700.00 per month plus the $450.00 yearly fee. ($700.00 because we are paying it off faster.) Nice bathrooms, ice machine, pump out etc...
You might think about buying.....Not that I have a slip for sale or anything.....
Our slip which is a front slip and holds a 30' boat would rent for $4,000 for the season.
I guess I don't get the economics of buying? At $50K that's 20 years worth of renting without considering the interest paid.

What are the taxes on a slip worth $50K?
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Bob View Post
I keep my 21 foot cuddy at Parker Marine in Alton Bay.
1995.00 for season
1475.00 for season if paid by 3/15
I used to slip at Parker but never again. Even through the boom years they did not put one dime back into the facilities so the "bathrooms" are two porta-potties. Most of the boards on the docks are loose.

My boat was one of lucky ones to get vandalized last Labor Day. The thugs discharged the fire extinguisher in the boat and with even the slightest moisture it clung to everything. I have a picture below after towing it home.
No phone call from Parker's, the MP, Alton police department, nothing. It sat like that for two weeks until we showed up to use the boat. Supposedly Parker employees looked in boats looking to identify which boats got vandalized but everyone I know that was impacted never got contacted. The unzipped boat covers and caked on baking soda from the fire extinguisher should have been a clue. The thugs blasted it directly in my dash and I got to spend an entire day with water, soap, and detailing brushes getting it out of every nook and cranny as the stuff gets EVERYWHERE. Hopefully there are no long term impacts. It's not just a simple vacuum job either, you have to physically wash it off! Total PITA

When I went into the office to inquire about it, they were clearly taking a 100% hands-off approach to the whole thing. They said, "contact Marine Patrol as we are not involved in this." No apology, no "anything we can do", nothing. I was just a stone cold "not our problem, have a nice day."

Without going into further details, it seemed the left and right hands were not connected between Alton PD and Marine Patrol on how they were handling the incident as there were apparently a fair number of boats impacted. One guy had electronics ripped out and damage to his fiberglass. I don't think MP seemed up to the task of investigating a case like this.

We used Parker's because they were the closest Winni Marina to us so anyone thinking it's a good deal, buyer beware. They clearly have zero security which I can live with (and they don't advertise that they do) but I do expect that a daily walk of the docks checking for boats with issues or problems and contacting owners as a basic expectation. I totally assumed wrong as all you get is a slip and porta-pottie after coming in for the day. Make sure you trade numbers with people in the slips around you as Parker's won't be there for you if something happens to your boat.

Also, you have to sneak under the bridge so bigger boats can't fit or you get trapped if the water is too high. Last spring even my 22 footer got close to the bridge. I could only laugh when I saw the renewal for this year. I'm all set thank you!

Oh yeah, don't put extra fenders or ropes on your boat to tie it up as people will grab them. I've lost a couple fenders and ropes as they apparently grew legs. One fender and forward and aft ropes, that's it. I learned after the second time. I also painted my fenders an ugly color too as I buy the great bigs ones instead of the little tampon size ones

Parker's SUCKS!
Attached Images

lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (03-15-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
I guess I don't get the economics of buying? At $50K that's 20 years worth of renting without considering the interest paid.

Plus you have to pay annual dues or charge enough rent to cover them. If they decide to pave or a major amenity upgrade and do a one time assessment you're on the hook for that too.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Its not a slip but it is the next best thing, valet service... Check with Harilla landing, out on Long Island... there are usually owners looking to rent there rack for the summer.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post

We had several long discussions about this on this forum. This was the most recent:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=10221

Like most topics, there are differing opinions.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
I have not seen this discussed before so I am going to throw this one out there for comments. I have been at a "certain Marina," for 12 years now. When I came here, the Marina was "under New Management," and my slip for a 21 foot boat was about $1,200. It has gone up every year, with no "real" services, other than a mechanic (who is usually so busy service is never "on time.") parking is usually fairly good, and it does have toilets (which desperately need "a do over"). Every year the price has gone up, and up, and up. This year, it is up agin to $3,100, even though last year they had empty slips after their price increase. Since I just became Semi-Retired, and now my income is not what it used to be, I think it has finally "priced me out of the market, for that marina." So, here's my discussion question..."What do you pay at your marina, and what do they have for "services?" Are the owners (at this marina) "thinking" when they raise they rates that much, or am I "out of touch" with reality? There's only my wife and I, and she can't drive the boat or back a trailer up, so trailering is going to be a "Challange." Where can I find a marina with "Fair Prices," near Suissevale?
Give WCYC in Wolfeboro a try, considering all of the side benefits, it is a bargain. www.wcyc-nh.com
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #19
Dog Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
I think I also use this marina. However, I must say that in fact they offered an early deal the last two years. This year they offered an early rate as the exact same price as last year. So there would be no increase at all. In fact this deal is good until April 1 according to my notice and I'm sure you got the same one. Whether or not you can afford it, I think it is unfair to state incorrect infromation about the price increase when in truth they are not doing so. Just for the record as well, there are showers as well as bathrooms, which are not fancy, but certainly always clean. As well they have reopened the store on site carrying ice, cold drinks, snacks, ice cream as well as many other items, much more convenient to just grab them when we get there. And they have a gas dock.
I too have been there for many years, and find it to be quite reasonable and worth while especially at the same price as years past.
Dog Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #20
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Lover View Post
I think I also use this marina. However, I must say that in fact they offered an early deal the last two years. This year they offered an early rate as the exact same price as last year. So there would be no increase at all. In fact this deal is good until April 1 according to my notice and I'm sure you got the same one. Whether or not you can afford it, I think it is unfair to state incorrect infromation about the price increase when in truth they are not doing so. Just for the record as well, there are showers as well as bathrooms, which are not fancy, but certainly always clean. As well they have reopened the store on site carrying ice, cold drinks, snacks, ice cream as well as many other items, much more convenient to just grab them when we get there. And they have a gas dock.
I too have been there for many years, and find it to be quite reasonable and worth while especially at the same price as years past.
Sorry Dog Lover, the place that we are all not naming can't even keep their name on their only sign on Rt 109. The place is a dump from the road side (it looks fine from the water). Good luck to them if they can keep increasing the price every year. I know I would expect much more for $3100/year.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #21
sa meredith

Default prices...

I posted a while back (post #12) our valet price for this season, along with all the details...boat size, year round/seasonal, review of marina (parking, bathrooms, ease of getting boat put in, etc.) and was hoping for others to do the same, as I am curious if our price is in line (I find it a tiny bit high, but service is great).
Hoping to see other valet prices posted, as well as review of what you get for the price...and the overall marina.
Anyone?????
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #22
Just Sold

Default Valet at Fay's

I am at Fay's Boat Yard in Gilford. $75.00/ft (min $1500.00) for valet.
I feel valet is the best for me. The boat is not in the sun/rain, subject to potential theft or malicious damage* and is in a building up off the floor - I only have an 18' bowrider. My previous boat could only go on the bottom level due to size and that was nice because I could get in and do things right there. *(I have never heard of any problems with theft or damage at Fay's in valet or in the slips)

The staff, Steve and Bernie are tops. They have always been helpful to me when ever I had a question or needed something.

Call and request to have your boat put in and by the time you arrive it is in the water unless it is really busy and then you might have to wait a few minutes but that is rare. If you come back late, and I have, I always found a place to leave the boat for them to take it out the next morning.

You can work on your own boat there too. They will put it on boat stands in an area where electric and water are close by and you are not in their way.

Last edited by Just Sold; 05-05-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #23
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Sorry Dog Lover, the place that we are all not naming can't even keep their name on their only sign on Rt 109. The place is a dump from the road side (it looks fine from the water). Good luck to them if they can keep increasing the price every year. I know I would expect much more for $3100/year.
You sure nailed this one right! Place could be an absolute gem if only the owner(s) cared. As mentioned in my previous post, Dave Ladd at Lanes End is the only place on the water in that is convenient for the Eagle.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #24
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
You sure nailed this one right! Place could be an absolute gem if only the owner(s) cared. As mentioned in my previous post, Dave Ladd at Lanes End is the only place on the water in that is convenient for the Eagle.
Yes, I have friends in Suissevale that could walk to their boats if they kept them at AC marine but drive to Lanes End instead.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #25
painthappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
I am at Fay's Boat Yard in Gilford. $75.00/ft (min $1500.00) for valet.
I feel valet is the best for me. The boat is not in the sun/rain, subject to potential theft or malicious damage* and is in a building up off the floor - I only have an 18' bowrider. My previous boat could only go on the bottom level due to size and that was nice because I could get in and do things right there. *(I have never heard of any problems with theft or damage at Fay's in valet or in the slips)

The staff, Steve and Bernie are tops. They have always been helpful to me when ever I had a question or needed something.

Call and request to have your boat put in and by the time you arrve it is in the water unless it is really busy and then you might have to wait a few minutes but that is rare. If you come back late, and I have, I always found a place to leave the boat for them to take it out the next morning.

You can work on your own boat there too. They will put it on boat stands in an area where electric and water are close by and you are not in their way.
I am also at Fay's again this year. I have a sailboat at one of the slips. I really like it there, easy to get to, and the broads are just outside the marina more or less. Great location all around.
painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #26
Just Sold

Painthappy
Welcome to the Forum and to Fay's. I know you will enjoy it here and at Fay's.

I am in the rack building and the boats name is "Pro Re Nata". Maroon, gray and white Four Winns 180 Horizon, 18' with bimini. Say hi and wave if you see us at Fay's or out on the water.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #27
LakesRegionSpirit

Default Asking for your input....

I am currently researching a story on, and around, this very topic. Access to the lake. It is to be in this Sunday's Union Leader. I ask that any of you that have voiced your opinion on this subject contact me if you are willing to go on record as part of the story. I would need to know today or first thing tomorrow in order to get in contact with you and include your comments/opinion. Thanks.

You may email me at kjsperl@lakesregionspirit.com.
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #28
lawn psycho

Just as important are the restrictions placed on boaters once they get on the lake such as rafting.

How about a story on how only 25 people can get a petition to restrict anchored boats within 150 feet of shore that impacts any boater that comes to the lake. In same cases the boat free zones are larger than the property these people own. Maybe we sould be able to do this on our residential streets and culdesacs