Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
Rattletrap

Default 1st boating season in the books

First and foremost, I like to thank all of the forum members for all their help leading up to this season. I was about as prepared as I could be. Your input made a HUGE difference in my season I'm truly grateful.

I like to extend a special thanks to a certain forum member who shall remain nameless (to protect the innocent) for being an amazing mentor to me. They gave me sound advise and guidance all season, and even though I thought I new better sometimes they let me make my own (none life threating) mistakes anyway. Because they knew of course it was the only way I would learn. I will value your friendship and guidance always.

Ok enough with that.

I put a little over 70 hrs on the pontoon this season. I covered literally every corner of the lake. One of my missions this year was to see it all from Alton Bay to Greens Basin, and from Paugus Bay to Center Harbor and everywhere in between. I told myself just go see it all and then nothing will be a surprise. Here are a few things that I can pay forward to new boaters.
  • This is an amazing place to boat and spend summers.
  • Mostly everyone on the lake is friendly and helpful.
  • Navigation is tricky but not impossible. Be confident not cocky, trust what you've learned. Second guessing yourself can lead to mistakes.
  • Don't assume other boaters know where their going.
  • Be able to identify the large islands and always have your map at the ready.
  • Listen to those who have experience on the lake. It can get real scary real quick when a storm rolls in and they roll in fast!
  • Look to the sky for weather not the radar the radar lies.
  • Some days a 50' boat isn't enough to tame the "Broads" or just outside the Weirs Channel.
  • The complexity of night boating can't be fully explained and should be left to the most experienced boaters.
  • Be prepared for anything.
  • If it looks like someone may be in trouble they probably are, go ask them if they need help next time it might be you.
  • Dragging your skeg across some rocks on the west side of Pitchwood sounds a lot like you just ripped the motor and a pontoon off your boat but is a right of passage.
  • Don't be a hurry.
  • You can't see everything make sure you have a good first mate.
I'm sure there're a ton things I missed but in the interest of "I should be working not posting" I'll leave it at that. Thanks again everyone looking forward to next season

Tom

Last edited by Rattletrap; 10-19-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Rattletrap For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (10-18-2016), BroadHopper (10-20-2016), chipj29 (10-19-2016), CHSLTD (11-15-2016), DRH (10-22-2016), Electric man (10-19-2016), GTO (10-19-2016), Hillcountry (10-18-2016), Hivolt (10-19-2016), KPW (10-19-2016), Orion (10-27-2016), Phantom (10-19-2016), salty dog (10-19-2016), thinkxingu (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

So Glad you enjoyed the season and are looking forward to 2017. Don't ever lose respect, but over time, the Broads become more manageable. The wast side of Pitchwood won;'t change.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Phantom

Very well summarized !!

for the record ---- 116 hours
Stop "Day Tripping" and live here

Rattletrap (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Very well summarized !!

for the record ---- 116 hours
Stop "Day Tripping" and live here

LOL !!! I'm a little short you got an extra 500k laying around? So I can get a 500sq foot cottage on the lake
noreast (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
LOL !!! I'm a little short you got an extra 500k laying around? So I can get a 500sq foot cottage on the lake
I don't have $500K right now, but I have a plan. I have some old lottery tickets I'll sell at a deep discount. Never used. Please send $1000.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Rattletrap (10-19-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
Woody38

Sorry to say We don't have an engine hour on the boat. Therefore I imagine that at ~ 2 hours minimum 2-3 x weekly It was not a whole lot. Enjoyed every minute which is the requisite. I enjoy going out to get lost and find my way home. The difficult situation is trying to read a chart at times when one is solo. Frequently stopping is not the best policy.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When riches dwindle to a mere competence, then a mere competence becomes a form of poverty.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:35 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Beautiful weather this summer

Even though I don't do weekends in season, I was able to clock 95 hours this year. Yesterday was awesome, the hills were alive with colors! Especially red hill and the Ossipees!
gillygirl (10-20-2016)