Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
colt17

Default Marina for sale

Just saw this post on NH Business Sales website anyone know what marina this is??

Winnipesaukee Boatyard — Price Reduced
File #209031

Launch directly onto the open water of the largest lake in NH with no channels or bottlenecks to worry about! The Lakes Region is one of New Hampshire’s oldest and most popular vacation destinations with Lake Winnipesaukee being its focal point. 16,000 sq ft building which stores more than 100 boats in the off-season. New and used boats are sold as well as rented. They have a full-service shop for boat and motor repairs and a retail shop. There are a number of opportunities to increase revenues. Price includes real estate and inventory.

Price: $1,899,000
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
VtSteve

Here's the picture

http://us.businessesforsale.com/us/L...-For-Sale.aspx

Look familiar?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Difficult to say.....maybe Trexler's.....maybe Meredith Marina....difficult to say?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Exclamation Marina sales

In the past decade, whenever a marina is for sale, a developer would buy it. Tear down the marina and set up condos. That is why it is getting more difficult to find a slip, even along the intercoastal.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
TomC

Default More value in the real estate

how could anyone generate enough revenue at a marina in <6 months to cover that kind of purchase price ($2M)?

I don't know how you could make a go of it..
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
meredith weekender

I have the same view as Meredith Marina and the picture shown is definitely NOT Meredith Marina. Very curious though as to who it is, just because I am curious.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
sa meredith

Default My guess...

My guess is Meredith Marina...based on two things.
1. The gas attendant there told me two summers back, that many employees had heard whispers of the place being put on the market.
2. The ad seems to stress the part about launching into open water, with no channels or bottlenecks to be concerned about...and that certainly is the case at MM. Very easy place to launch from..no traffic of any sort, no hazzards, deep water instantly. Just a guess.
Also, the ad says they rent boats...and Meredith does indeed do rentals.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default Maybe Glendale Marine

From the picture, maybe Mt Washington in the back ground and Round Isl. Maybe the view from the Gilford Town Docks
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default If it is Glendale Marine

Are there any Gilford Island residents who may want to pool our money and take it over?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
welchislandman

yes, might be glendale marina. They have had a few managers in the past few years...
welchislandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

That view looks like it could be from Glendale but who's to say that photo is supposed to represent that view?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Could be Glendale...

I had talked to an employee of Glendale last fall and they were not sure if they would be back next year (2010). That place was managed terribly at best! It could have been a gold mine with the right management and help.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
how could anyone generate enough revenue at a marina in <6 months to cover that kind of purchase price ($2M)?

Hi Tom;

The thing you must remember is most marinas store boats over the winter and it's not cheap. Yes, they are not making money on service or ships store purchases, but they also have limited or no staff to pay and no services like electrical and other summer time necessities, so it's really not a 6 month business.

Dan
Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
codeman671

It looks like Round Island to me. No surprise that Glendale Marine would be for sale if so, I heard that they lost the Manitou line which was the only real boat line they had.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
VtSteve

Quote:

Partial answer, and no verification on numbers. Looks a lot like Glendale to me.
http://www.businessmart.com/business...-new-hampshire

Let's say you get it for $1.5 or so. Bank 60% of inventory sold. The $275 K cash flow isn't huge, and probably means that no higher-margin services or sales have been done. But it's an approximate 30% pre-tax return (cash flow is not net income, so that could also be played with.

Personally, depending on the real values, I'd take the inventory at 25% and write off the furniture and fixture value at the beginning. As it sits, $1.2 depending on surveying, analysis of potential ground contamination problems, permits, etc...

And this description will confirm, (I think).

http://www.glendalemarineltd.com/Rentals.html
Old 01-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
Pineedles

If they store 100 boats during the winter and if you assume that the average boat is 22' and per foot charge is around $28.00 per foot, the winter storage business would generate about $60,000. That would cover about 6 months of mortgage and insurance costs. all your other costs would have to be earned during the boating season including the other 6 months of mortgage and insurance payments. Don't know how much shore frontage there is at this yet unnamed marina but it sounds like the developers may get a crack at it. Afterall, its apparant that the state doesn't want motor boats on Winnipesaukee anymore, so who would want to invest in a marina?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
Misty Blue

Default Mt. Washington

I don't know where the picture was taken from but it has to be taken from the South looking North. In the top of the picture you can see a snow capped Mt. Washington with the sandwich range on the left and the ossipees on the right.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #18
Yosemite Sam

How about Silver Sands Marina?

http://www.nhboat.com/silver_sands.htm

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #19
ishoot308

"I heard that they lost the Manitou line which was the only real boat line they had."

They are no longer listed on the Manitou web site as a dealer... http://www.manitouboats.com/dealer_locator.php

Dan
Old 01-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
TomC

Default tough carrying costs...

the debt service on $1.5M @8% for 30 years is $11K/month. Then, as you say, there is insurance, utilities. Don't forget the waterfront taxes! Even if you take the somewhat favorable rate of 1% of the value, taxes are another $2K/month. The owner would be lucky to get 3-4 months out of $60K.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #21
4 for Boating

Default Marina For Sale

Also have to agree that this is not Merredith Marine OR They are using a random photo of the lake that looks nice. Verdict still out on which business it might be?
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #22
Merrymeeting

In talking to a marina owner that I know, the winter storage business is one of the biggest money makers. There is surprisingly little profit in the gas part, unless you pump large amounts.

So, storage is a big money maker for the marinas. Whether it would be enough to support all the bills mentioned is another discussion.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #23
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

If I had to guess I would say this is Glendale Marine. The Building size is far to small to be any of the other Marinas.....

Now somethings getting mis-represented here.... the purchase price is indeed 1.9 million
However there is 400K in stock merchandise...... now the last time I knew anyone looking into buying a business was many years ago. But as I remember the 400K stock merchandise could not be rolled into the purchase of the business, that was its own seperate short term loan.

Hence the mortgage being carried by the new owner would be more like 1.5 million.....

now they show there sales Revenue as roughly 877K ....... which I would assume includes winter storage income and profits of 275K..... so they say they are opperating on 500K....

something seems very fishy here...... or this business has been in the hands of the same people for years and therefore doesn't currently have a mortgage on it......
Old 01-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #24
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
If they store 100 boats during the winter and if you assume that the average boat is 22' and per foot charge is around $28.00 per foot, the winter storage business would generate about $60,000. That would cover about 6 months of mortgage and insurance costs. all your other costs would have to be earned during the boating season including the other 6 months of mortgage and insurance payments. Don't know how much shore frontage there is at this yet unnamed marina but it sounds like the developers may get a crack at it. Afterall, its apparant that the state doesn't want motor boats on Winnipesaukee anymore, so who would want to invest in a marina?

That all sounds good, but I bet that the insurance for the storage and building would take about half that income.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #25
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
something seems very fishy here...... or this business has been in the hands of the same people for years and therefore doesn't currently have a mortgage on it......
It is most likely just someone listing a business that doesn't really have a whole lot of experience in buying/selling businesses like this, not likely anything truly "fishy".

I may call on this property tomorrow. My wife keeps telling me she wants me to quit travelling so much, this might be a fun change of pace.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #26
Pineedles

Default Speculation

Although no one knows which marina it is, we are generating alot of free publicity for the sale. May not be good publicity but we all know the the famous line, even bad publicity...........
Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #27
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Don't forget the waterfront taxes!
I don't believe they have any waterfront Tom. I think MP has all the frontage between themselves and the lake.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #28
BroadHopper

Default Excellent idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Are there any Gilford Island residents who may want to pool our money and take it over?
Hopefully the town residents can take back the docks that are rightfully theirs.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #29
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Hopefully the town residents can take back the docks that are rightfully theirs.
Careful, if the Town voters approve the proposed ordinance to restrict boat launches, the future owners whould tread lightly. If the "use" changes on the property, they could get snagged by zoning violations.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #30
codeman671

Quote:
If I had to guess I would say this is Glendale Marine. The Building size is far to small to be any of the other Marinas.....

Now somethings getting mis-represented here.... the purchase price is indeed 1.9 million
However there is 400K in stock merchandise...... now the last time I knew anyone looking into buying a business was many years ago. But as I remember the 400K stock merchandise could not be rolled into the purchase of the business, that was its own seperate short term loan.

Hence the mortgage being carried by the new owner would be more like 1.5 million.....

now they show there sales Revenue as roughly 877K ....... which I would assume includes winter storage income and profits of 275K..... so they say they are opperating on 500K....

Inventory is an asset and could be rolled into the purchase. The main tangeable value of a business is its assets, in this case the real property (real estate) and inventory which I am sure is high because of leftover Manitou inventory. Being a business owner with commercial lines of credit the assets and AR are what is looked at as far as your borrowing power.

They do not own and frontage, this is definitely not one for a develloper. What would they develop? Someone mentioned Silver Sands, no way is this Silver Sands. They would be worth FAR more than that. The real estate alone that they own is considerable.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #31
Excalibur

Default If it is Glendale Marine

Why wouldn't a group of Gilford Island Residents purchase the property and make it a not for profit.

Selling shares to each boat owner who would like there boat stored for valet storage in the summer. Then create another class of shares for Winter storage. The corporation could then hire or lease a on site mechanic to maintain any boats needing service.

Glendale Marine serves many island residents with valet boat service and does not have fuel or there own docking service. They use a trailer or fork lift to launch the boats at the Gilford town docks. In addition a rental boat service and taxi service could be useful. To offer some type of island delivery service.

This would be a great opportunity to a lot of people who struggle every season worrying if someone is going to care for there boat the way they do with out paying so much.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #32
BroadHopper

Default Minge Cove

The Minge Cove Marina is a good example. The marina became a coop owned and maintained by island residents. The coop rents out the building and gas dock to a marine mechanic who sells gas and service the boats.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #33
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Careful, if the Town voters approve the proposed ordinance to restrict boat launches, the future owners whould tread lightly. If the "use" changes on the property, they could get snagged by zoning violations.
Bet the state will put a stop on that ordinance. They are launching boats all day at the Gilford site.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #34
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Bet the state will put a stop on that ordinance. They are launching boats all day at the Gilford site.
Legally, can the state do that? It would be nice if they could...and did....the number of launch ramps available to the public are shrinking! And since the state doesn't have its own public launch ramp on the lake, losing Ames Farm ramps would be a HUGE loss!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #35
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
Legally, can the state do that? It would be nice if they could...and did....the number of launch ramps available to the public are shrinking! And since the state doesn't have its own public launch ramp on the lake, losing Ames Farm ramps would be a HUGE loss!
The state does have a public launch Ramp on the lake, it is out at the end of Long Island by Harrilla Landing. Most people believe this to be a town of Moultonborough Launch, but I believe it is actually a state launch.... unfortunately there is no parking....

Now on the flip side, I know this is something that the state is trying to correct on many of the lakes. Unfortunately the Areas to put in a good ramp site are few and far between......
Old 01-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #36
lawn psycho

Quote:
The state does have a public launch Ramp on the lake, it is out at the end of Long Island by Harrilla Landing. Most people believe this to be a town of Moultonborough Launch, but I believe it is actually a state launch.... unfortunately there is no parking....

Now on the flip side, I know this is something that the state is trying to correct on many of the lakes. Unfortunately the Areas to put in a good ramp site are few and far between......
No parking is essentially the same as not having a public ramp.......
Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #37
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
No parking is essentially the same as not having a public ramp.......
That's what I was thinking, kind of pointless to say there's a public ramp if there's no parking. Plus, it doesn't really help those of us trailering up from the south, in my case, Hopkinton NH.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:01 AM   #38
TomC

Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I don't believe they have any waterfront Tom. I think MP has all the frontage between themselves and the lake.
Wasn't sure what marina was under discussion anyway. I've thought about the marina business several times (on a bad day at the office, who hasn't? ). I never saw how it makes much sense. The "off lake" outfits (such as Independent Marine) can do practically all of the same work (sell, repair, store, launch/retrieve, etc., boats) at considerably less cost and hassle than a waterfront marina. They obvioulsy don't have wet slips, that's about all they can't offer vs the on-lake establishments. The waterfront guys have the taxes, gas storage/envrionmental issues, shoreline protection act, etc., to contend with... That has to show up in higher prices, and consumers will go anywhere to save a dime.

I see a lakefront business as a tough way to make a go of it...
Old 01-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #39
fatlazyless

Quote:
The "off lake" outfits (such as Independent Marine) can do practically all of the same work (sell, repair, store, launch/retrieve, etc., boats) at considerably less cost and hassle than a waterfront marina.
Could be some of the waterfront neighbors close by a marina probably wish the marina was not there. Better for the space to be a single family home or two or three or four? And, it seems to be a good question as to which assessed value, a home or a marina, would be higher in thinking on the property tax?

A gallon of gas weighs 6-lbs so one of those red 6-gal boat tanks weighs about 38-lbs, plus you must save maybe one dollar/gallon buying at a gasoline station, plus you can purchase a Laconia Daily Sun while fuel'n up!

Whenever I need some lower gearcase 90w lube or a fuel line gizmo or somethin ....I always head over to Wally World!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-28-2010 at 08:12 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #40
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

It's sad to think that marinas are a dying breed. It is so much more convenient to have a marina on the water. Hauling gas is just not as convenient as driving up to the marina. The same goes for restaurants, how nice is it to sit and eat while looking at the lake, yet it is hard for them to be on the lake because of such high property taxes. Lots of people, individuals as well as businesses are getting fed up with paying such high taxes even if they CAN afford them.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #41
BroadHopper

Cool The good ol' days

Back in the days, all the town owned ramps were free and anyone could use them. Even Glendale. The marina ramps were free and if there was a parking space so was the parking. The marinas in those days used to make a good business selling items from their ship store. As there were no West Marine online.
City of Laconia use to have two town ramps. One where the Water Works building is on Paugus Bay and one below the broadwalk at the Weirs.

Now with the exception of Alton, the towns have restricted the use or have launch fees. The marinas charge for launch fees. And parking is becoming a headache. Laconia no longer has a public ramp and Laconia residents are force to use other ramps.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #42
NH Business Sales

Default Boatyard For Sale

Good morning folks. I am the listing broker for the opportunity that is generating so much interest. All I can tell you is that I cannot tell you much of anything. We are chosen for engagements such as this because we maintain the confidentiality of the business from speculation by competitors, vendors and employees. An interested qualified party will need to first complete our Confidentiality Agreement on our website, (www.nhbizsales.com ) and then provide proof of the financial ability to complete the transaction.

Sorry I cannot help, but to do otherwise would breach the responsibility I have to my client.”
NH Business Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #43
jack1706

Thumbs down

NH Biz Sales.......

Are you Kidding ??????
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #44
Happy Gourmand

Default NH Business Sales..

.....just told us that he can't tell us!!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #45
lawn psycho

I don't know the first thing about daily operations of a marina business but looking at that NHbizsales website, I would love to own a garden center.

The $1.75M asking price may get in the way
Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #46
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Business Sales View Post
Good morning folks. I am the listing broker for the opportunity that is generating so much interest. All I can tell you is that I cannot tell you much of anything. We are chosen for engagements such as this because we maintain the confidentiality of the business from speculation by competitors, vendors and employees. An interested qualified party will need to first complete our Confidentiality Agreement on our website, (www.nhbizsales.com ) and then provide proof of the financial ability to complete the transaction.

Sorry I cannot help, but to do otherwise would breach the responsibility I have to my client.”
What a joke, I understand confidentiality, etc. But why am I going to allow you information on my financial status and means, until I know what business is for sale. I believe this add to be clouded by to much mystery to begin with. That to start with, additionally one needs to know what bussiness is for sale to look into the right financial backing......

Why would I waste my time, until I knew what bussiness this really was......
Old 01-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #47
robmac

I know that when my two partners and I were looking at Adams marine about 4 years ago we had to submit all of that info. I will tell you from looking at that it would be very tough to cover you expenses without both waterfront and docks. Gas barely covers having it, boat sales not consistent, storage, parts and repairs were your lifeline. Knowing marina owners and talking to them it's not an easy business in NE by any means.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #48
BroadHopper

Default NHBiz.com

Says they can establish the business loans. WOW! I feel another FMR.

I couldn't get any kind of a business loan to buy commercial property last summer. Banks are telling me they no longer have loans for new business.

Just as well, after the deal fell through, I discovered the town said I had to connect to sewer about a half mile down the road before I can get an occupancy permit. Something that was nor disclosed during the preliminary closings.

Lots of shady dealings going on lately. make sure you do your homework!
Pineedles (01-28-2010)
Old 01-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #49
Phantom

What a despicable piece of subtle advertising!!!!

NH Business Sales comes on here adds absolutely nothing to the thread other than declaring himself to be the agent and where you can contact him

Nice first post NH Business Sales ....... why not join us again when you have something to add to the party!!
Old 01-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #50
Meredith Marina

Default Not Us

Definitely not Meredith Marina. We're not going anywhere any time soon! Think spring everybody!
Meredith Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #51
AkwaMarina

Default not us

Maybe you can figure it out from the process of elimination. Defiantly not us.
AkwaMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #52
Pineedles

Default Nh biz is ok

I see nothing wrong with NH BIZ's 1st post. It was an attempt to promote his business and that was all. The topic for discussion was posted by someone else and all he did was to state his positon in the sale and confirm that he could not disclose anything about the seller.

If people want to continue to frequent good restaurants, bagel shops, fire engine dealers, and marinas, then I think you should give it a rest as far as criticizing a business broker. His website was informative and in-line with what he stated in his first thread. His firm's service to the Lake's community is needed, and I appreciate it. Some business owners are only exploring whether it is the "right" time to sell their business. NH BIZ lets them do that with confidentiality. There's nothing wrong with that!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (01-29-2010), Cobalt 25 (01-31-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (02-05-2010), Seaplane Pilot (01-28-2010), VtSteve (01-30-2010)
Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #53
jack1706

Then why add anything at all ?

they said nothing, contributed nothing , and we all know it goes without saying - that to complete the transaction financials would have to be submitted !

Give me a break !

saying nothing would have been the thing to do.

We'll know where it is in due time, I'm sure ...
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #54
Island Life

It has to be Glendale Marina because that's Round Island. I'm 100% sure. I can even tell you who owns each one of those houses.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #55
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1706 View Post
Then why add anything at all ?

they said nothing, contributed nothing , and we all know it goes without saying - that to complete the transaction financials would have to be submitted !

Give me a break !

saying nothing would have been the thing to do.

We'll know where it is in due time, I'm sure ...
Put my 2nd sentence and last sentence from my post together, and you'll have your answer as to why he posted.

It was an attempt to promote his business and that was all. There's nothing wrong with that

Please don't be offended by his post, its good marketing.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #56
fatlazyless

Springtime is normally the start of the real estate selling season, from what I hear. The snow melts, the sun shines, and the buyers start showing up.

It shoulld be very interesting to see what happens this spring, and what happens with the stock market, which probably will effect the waterfront real estate market?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #57
GTO

Default good.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith Marina View Post
Definitely not Meredith Marina. We're not going anywhere any time soon! Think spring everybody!

Good news....had me nervous here for a while
Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #58
VtSteve

The topic and the questions appeared, so why not a broker? Heck, that's his job.

Price is down to $1.6 mil, so get ready.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #59
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaGirl View Post
That makes it Glendale Marine. The current owner, Paul, is a terrible businessman and manager. The main strength of the operation is Gary Doherty, an awesome mechanic and sales person. With the right owner(s), Gary would make it a great business. If he leaves Glendale, I'll be following him!

That entire place has serious issues not just Paul!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #60
Pineedles

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaGirl View Post
That makes it Glendale Marine. The current owner, Paul, is a terrible businessman and manager. The main strength of the operation is Gary Doherty, an awesome mechanic and sales person. With the right owner(s), Gary would make it a great business. If he leaves Glendale, I'll be following him!
I think you just managed to have Gary fired, and you too.

Please be careful folks. Your bosses read these posts, as well as your spouse, Mom, Dad, and every other person who you think doesn't read these posts.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #61
Long Pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I think you just managed to have Gary fired, and you too.

Please be careful folks. Your bosses read these posts, as well as your spouse, Mom, Dad, and every other person who you think doesn't read these posts.
I took her post to mean that she was a client rather than an employee and that she would be taking her business elsewhere. Certainly agree that if she is an employee, the post was ill-advised.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #62
granitebox

I took it the same way, I took the following as following him with my business.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #63
BroadHopper

Default Glendale Marina

I can remember to former Marina owners that were a pleasure to deal with. That was the original owner, Captain Goodhue, and Brian Moriarity, who sold it and bought Shep Brorwn's. I had issues with all owners after Brian.

I think a 'dry' marina can work very well with the right management. The building requires extesive repairs and the racks inside needs to be reconfigured for efficiency. The only other problem is the lack of day docking. When everyone wnats their boat at once, like 8 AM Saturday morning, there is not enough docking to provide that kind of service.

If something can be worked out with the town for good business and the building is sold low enough to allow repairs with a mortgage then I think it will be a success.

Otherwise sell the property to the Gilford Islands Association. They are enough of a headache as they are.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #64
Pineedles

Thanks folks, yes I re-read the post and see the same thing. Sorry.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #65
tis

Quote:
I can remember to former Marina owners that were a pleasure to deal with. That was the original owner, Captain Goodhue, and Brian Moriarity, who sold it and bought Shep Brorwn's. I had issues with all owners after Brian.

I think a 'dry' marina can work very well with the right management. The building requires extesive repairs and the racks inside needs to be reconfigured for efficiency. The only other problem is the lack of day docking. When everyone wnats their boat at once, like 8 AM Saturday morning, there is not enough docking to provide that kind of service.

If something can be worked out with the town for good business and the building is sold low enough to allow repairs with a mortgage then I think it will be a success.

Otherwise sell the property to the Gilford Islands Association. They are enough of a headache as they are.
What a nice guy Brian is! Do you know what he is doing now?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #66
BroadHopper

Default Brian is in Meredith

He is retired and I think he is or was one of the selectmen. He was in the news a while ago about developing an island on Lake Wicwas.

He skis at Gunstock.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #67
The Watcher

"What a nice guy Brian is! Do you know what he is doing now?"

http://www.modeltfordsnowmobile.com/index.htm
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #68
tis

Quote:
He is retired and I think he is or was one of the selectmen. He was in the news a while ago about developing an island on Lake Wicwas.

He skis at Gunstock.
I remember that. How did it all turn out do you know?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #69
DoTheMath

I worked for Brian at Browns for a summer back in my younger days - one of the best jobs I ever had, and one of the best bosses... What you saw - and still see with him - is what you got, and no one worked harder in his company than he did!

That is a tough business to be in, compound it with a short season and a relatively finite customer base and you have a huge challenge. Aside of the product, service is key to keeping you afloat (no pun intended there btw... ), if you have great customer service, you might survive. People will go to a marina based just on service, just like they will leave one based on (lousy) service. Now, toss in the economy as it stands today - not a business I'd be looking to get into unless I had some big play money to back me.

And my guess is also Glendale - the picture and description don't fit anything else on that side of the lake. Unless the picture is a bogus broker pic, luring you in... and it is really buried a bit more than it appears...?
DoTheMath is offline   Reply With Quote