Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
NHKathy

Default T-Mobile

How is T-Mobile coverage/service/quality up there at the Lake?
Don't want to get it here in RI, only to not like it when I am at the Lake...
We currently have Verizon.
(tried a search on the forum 1st, but nothing new, last info I found was 2011...)
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
(tried a search on the forum 1st, but nothing new, last info I found was 2011...)
I live in Rhode Island. We bought our TracFones in Laconia, Wally-Mart. They are Verizon. They are Not Smart. You can't get a Verizon TracFone in RI or CT, or Mass. Verizon works everywhere. What's wrong with that.. NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 01-16-2014 at 07:10 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
fugitivewife

We have Verizon and it works all over the lakes area unlike the phones of many friends and family members with other carriers.
fugitivewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
loonguy

Default T Mobile vs. Verizon

We have both, but only Verizon has had adequate coverage in the Lakes Region. Our current plan is to consolidate with Verizon next month if we can find an acceptable plan.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
LadyJane

I have TMobile. I live in Ct. One of the reasons I got TMobile is so that when I come up to the lake I can call home. It works just fine in Meredith, goes out in Sandwich, in and out in some other towns in the area, but for the most part, good coverage.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
LadyJane

.........also, they have maps you can look at that show where the signal is good. I'm coming up next week so I'll try to notice more, but as I said, I get good signal in Meredith. I do recall that it wasn't good in the Bristol area though and that isn't far away.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
Markem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
I"m in Dover and couldn't wait for my Tmobile contract to run out.... Very spotty Rochester north. Don't do it. Just switched to consumer cellular with no contract. Went with tmobile for the wifi to use overseas and they were suppose to merge w/att, which never happend... consumer cell uses att towers, but is only a 3g network.

my 2 cents.... goodluck
Markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
MeredithMan

Default TMobile

I had TMobile up until a year and a half ago or so. Down here in the flatlands, they were fine, but signal/coverage was horrible at the lake. Have had VZN since then, and have never had an issue in NH.

MM
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Shared plan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
We have both, but only Verizon has had adequate coverage in the Lakes Region. Our current plan is to consolidate with Verizon next month if we can find an acceptable plan.
When my wife decided she couldn't live without getting a smartphone last August, we were already with Verizon and went down to the Verizon store in Rochester. We found the phone of her dreams and switched over to a shared plan. We share the data, 1 GB, which we have not come close to exceeding (don't do a lot of streaming music / video.). We have unlimited calling and texting. We do have good coverage most areas in the lakes region.

With that being said, and in response to other comments in this thread, the new cell tower here in Alton (just off rte 28 about half way out the bay on the west side of the bay) will have ATT (already up), Verizon, TMobile, and I think the fourth one is Sprint. Due to terrain features, unlike down in the flatlands, cell coverage can be spotty with any carrier.

Good luck to all with their plan choices.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
Pineedles

Last year reception on T-Mobile was better than it had been in many years. Not to say it's great now but at least I don't have to walk half-way up my driveway to get a signal. I still need to go outside my house but that's better than before. BTW, I live in Center Harbor.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Sprint

I do know Sprint will waive roaming cost and you can turn on roaming if you can prove that you are not getting any coverage where you live. Ask.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
NHKathy

Thanks to all that responded - than you for your input!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
jazzman

Anyone tried T-Mobile lately. Thought I'd try out their $30/month 100m + "unlimited" LTE data. Their map claims 4g LTE in the Rattlesnake/Barndoor area. All I see is 2g data with ping time of around a second.

I've also noticed that what was my rock solid 6+Mbs Verizon service in May barely works on weekends now. Too many bored kids watching video on their phones I guess.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #14
Pam

T-Mobile works very well for us in downtown Meredith and environs, but starts to cut out on parts of Route 104 and Rte 93 above Tilton. In general, it's been quite workable where we're located.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #15
Barndoor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Anyone tried T-Mobile lately. Thought I'd try out their $30/month 100m + "unlimited" LTE data. Their map claims 4g LTE in the Rattlesnake/Barndoor area. All I see is 2g data with ping time of around a second.

I've also noticed that what was my rock solid 6+Mbs Verizon service in May barely works on weekends now. Too many bored kids watching video on their phones I guess.

We find TMobile service is terrible around the lake, including on Barndoor Island. No Service on land in Wolfeboro or on the Broads. Occasionally we'll pick up the old Edge network on Barndoor, but never 4G LTE. We've worked with TMobile's technical support and they have determined it is a low coverage area- despite what their map claims.
Barndoor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #16
lakershaker

Default Update on TMobile?

Hi All - has anyone had recent experience with TMobile at the lake? Looking at their coverage maps, it shows good 4G service - actually better than Verizon where I need it. But actual performance reviews would be appreciated. I know TMobile just acquired new spectrum which long-term should be great, but don't want to make a change if coverage suffers in the near-term.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #17
Wiezy

Default Band 12 is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
Hi All - has anyone had recent experience with TMobile at the lake? Looking at their coverage maps, it shows good 4G service - actually better than Verizon where I need it. But actual performance reviews would be appreciated. I know TMobile just acquired new spectrum which long-term should be great, but don't want to make a change if coverage suffers in the near-term.
Lakershaker-

We switched to T-Mobile this summer and are on the Northwest broad side of Rattlesnake getting 6-8mpbs of LTE. It is 100% due to the new Band 12 that you mentioned. I figured this out when we tried to use an older Samsung J7 phone (not Band 12) and it would barely work but that same T-Mobile SIM in a Nexus 5x (Band 12) worked great. When we go over to Cow island to visit friends, the reception disappears, and when we go down to the Southeast/Alton Bay corner of Rattlesnake the coverage also drops off. Definitely dependent on exactly where you are trying to get service.

We went with T-Mobile because it works so well at our property and using one of the MVNOs of T-Mobile called MintSIM and we're getting 10GB for $20/mo taxes included.
Wiezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #18
lakershaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiezy View Post
... when we go down to the Southeast/Alton Bay corner of Rattlesnake the coverage also drops off. Definitely dependent on exactly where you are trying to get service.
When you say drops off, does that mean losing some bars or slower service, or zero coverage? We are on that side of Rattlesnake, facing the gap between Treasure and Sleepers, so would need it to work.

Thanks!
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote