Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2019, 05:22 AM   #1
Lil' Barndoor Guy

Default Electricity to my Swim Raft?

I just bought a new swim raft. Its got all the bells and whistles, a large center trampoline (28') in diameter with columns that support a roof over the center portion. I've got four attachments radiating out from the center, a large pyramid with slide, a hamster wheel, a round satellite and a large "log" outrigger. I find the outrigger is really handy for tying my Jet Skis to when I need extra dock space. No mooring permit needed!

The kids really love this new "raft". Its like putting an addition on my house with no permits, no DES approvals and no taxes on land/water I don't even own! The neighbors have voiced some concern, but I'm not interfering with their navigation even though it does effect their view of the lake. I'm within my rights!!!

The kids love it so much that they been sleeping over night under the roofed section of the raft. I was thinking of running an electrical cable and buying a waterproof TV so that they can play video games when they awake. Does anybody have experience running power to a swim "Raft"?
Lil' Barndoor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lil' Barndoor Guy For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 05:30 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Really? This is a joke,right?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-29-2019), Descant (07-28-2019), Jeanzb1 (07-28-2019), Top-Water (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 05:39 AM   #3
Top-Water

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...=Electrocution

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...=Electrocution
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:44 AM   #4
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I would hope so, I'd be less than thrilled looking at that next to me.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formula260SS For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 05:51 AM   #5
Hillcountry

Hmmm...why not install a mini-electric chair with a remote ejection seat button while you’re at it? (Ya know...for those “surprise weekend visitors” that have worn out their welcome?)
This has to be a joke...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (07-28-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2019, 06:22 AM   #6
Newbiesaukee

Default You could also add...

....a small electric outboard so you can really go trolling.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Diana (07-28-2019), kawishiwi (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 06:35 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

They are getting a bit much aren't they. Why does everybody has to overdo everything so that we need more rules and regulations?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hair dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Barndoor Guy View Post
I just bought a new swim raft. Its got all the bells and whistles, a large center trampoline (28') in diameter with columns that support a roof over the center portion. I've got four attachments radiating out from the center, a large pyramid with slide, a hamster wheel, a round satellite and a large "log" outrigger. I find the outrigger is really handy for tying my Jet Skis to when I need extra dock space. No mooring permit needed!

The kids really love this new "raft". Its like putting an addition on my house with no permits, no DES approvals and no taxes on land/water I don't even own! The neighbors have voiced some concern, but I'm not interfering with their navigation even though it does effect their view of the lake. I'm within my rights!!!

The kids love it so much that they been sleeping over night under the roofed section of the raft. I was thinking of running an electrical cable and buying a waterproof TV so that they can play video games when they awake. Does anybody have experience running power to a swim "Raft"?
Don't forget a mirror and hair dryer so the males and females with much vanity can blow dry their hair while enjoying life on the monstrosity.
Jeanzb1 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #9
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Don't forget a mirror and hair dryer so the males and females with much vanity can blow dry their hair while enjoying life on the monstrosity.
A toaster would be awesome for breakfast also

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #10
Jeanzb1

Sounds obnoxious. I would be BS if that thing obstructed my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
They are getting a bit much aren't they. Why does everybody has to overdo everything so that we need more rules and regulations?
It's coming, just a matter of time.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:18 AM   #12
ApS

Wink The OP's Parody of Lake Toys...

Quote:
The OP has hit nearly all the issues that are plaguing the lake, so I think it's a parody.

Newbiesaukee's comment regarding an electric motor for trolling has hit the mark!
Old 07-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #13
Outdoorsman

Your best bet is to contact the folks at Bizer and report an island that they have not reported on their maps. Once they correct the situation you can contact the local power company and have them run the power to your raft.... for FREE!
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #14
Mr. V

Quote:
I just bought a new swim raft... I was thinking of running an electrical cable and buying a waterproof TV so that they can play video games when they awake. Does anybody have experience running power to a swim "Raft"?
Think again: very foolish notion there, sport, as pointed out by others.

But all is not lost: the kids probably already own the solution to the problem, i.e. portable, hand held gaming devices.

Like the 'Stones sang: "You can't always get what you want, but if you try real hard you'll get what you need."
Old 07-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:

Hmmm....why not just run an extension cord from Shore?
Old 07-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #16
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Hmmm....why not just run an extension cord from Shore?
Just make sure the extension cord has a ground wire.
ishoot308 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #17
ushaggerb

No one's mentioned a firepit? Oh. And don't forget the fireplace utensils. Make sure to use the ones with the sharp, pointy tips.

I think, in any event, a treehouse or a "fort" for the kids, on dry land, would enable you to trick it out more. For the sake of the neighbors, need to have a curfew and a limit to how loud the music can be. Perhaps some other groundrules.
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ushaggerb For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #18
SteveO123

Walmart has 100 ft an extension cord on sale for $9.99. Run it through the middle if a string of $.99 pool noodles (on clearance!!!)

Then invite the Swedish Bikini Team over and share some day old bread and free coffee from Heaths in Center Harbor!

(I just wanted to pre-empt the inevitable pithy comments from The One Who Shall Not Be Named!)
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveO123 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-29-2019), rander7823 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:51 PM   #19
camp guy

Default Electricity to my swim raft?

How about a smokeless grill, an ice cream maker, and an air pump to support all these amenities. If an extension cord won't work, try tethering a smaller raft supporting a Generac system (and you can run the extension the other way, from your raft to your house, just in case the house has a power failure).
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #20
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO123 View Post
Walmart has 100 ft an extension cord on sale for $9.99. Run it through the middle if a string of $.99 pool noodles (on clearance!!!)

Then invite the Swedish Bikini Team over and share some day old bread and free coffee from Heaths in Center Harbor!

(I just wanted to pre-empt the inevitable pithy comments from The One Who Shall Not Be Named!)
That's right, and don't forget it!

A 41 year old Mainer guy just got shot and killed last night at the Walmart parking lot in Lewiston-Auburn, Maine in a parking, driving, road rage incident, or something. Not to worry about shopping at the Gilford or Plymouth Walmart ....... here in NH ...... everyone just loves one another ...... would never happen in these here parts in N.H. ... ....the shooter had to be drunk? ..... wow ..... is really crazy,

....... could it happen over a large inflatable water raft placed on the lake so it partially blocks your view ...... yes .....well.....that's totally reasonable! ....... kabooom! .... ......oh well ....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-29-2019 at 04:24 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:20 AM   #21
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
That's right, and don't forget it!

A 41 year old Mainer guy just got shot and killed last night at the Walmart parking lot in Lewiston-Auburn, Maine in a parking, driving, road rage incident, or something. Not to worry about shopping at the Gilford or Plymouth Walmart ....... here in NH ...... everyone just loves one another ...... would never happen in these here parts in N.H. ... ....the shooter had to be drunk? ..... wow ..... is really crazy,

....... could it happen over a large inflatable water raft placed on the lake so it partially blocks your view ...... yes .....well.....that's totally reasonable! ....... kabooom! .... ......oh well ....
No doubt about it, your sick glorifying this act of violence to get in a post.

Very Sad.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
Wifi-1 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 05:34 AM   #22
Lil' Barndoor Guy

Yes TiltonBB this is a joke, a parody. I am suggesting that these Swim "Rafts" have become too big and tall. What happened to the 10'x10' wooden raft atop 55 gallon barrels? I believe the state didn't need to permit these rafts because they small and unobtrusive. Now that has changed!
I think the state needs to enact regulations on swim "Rafts" There needs to be size and height restrictions, permitting and maybe even taxes! Hell I get taxed on my docks and breakwater.
I'm not a fan of regulation, but people have pushed the limits by purchasing monster "Rafts" that uglyfiy the shoreline and impinge upon the neighbors views and property values.
The state would not allow this in any other park, why should Winnipesaukee
be different?
Lil' Barndoor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:07 AM   #23
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:

110V won't be enough, you need 220V. Put a mast up in the middle and you can run a 220V line over head from the house. You could even put a heating element in the water for those cold spring mornings when the water hasn't warmed up yet.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 AM   #24
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Ha ha...you called it
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 09:13 AM   #25
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
110V won't be enough, you need 220V. Put a mast up in the middle and you can run a 220V line over head from the house. You could even put a heating element in the water for those cold spring mornings when the water hasn't warmed up yet.
Will that be enough if they wish to take up arc welding?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #26
SteveO123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Will that be enough if they wish to take up arc welding?

220, 221... Whatever it takes!!
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveO123 For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #27
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Yes TiltonBB this is a joke, a parody. I am suggesting that these Swim "Rafts" have become too big and tall. What happened to the 10'x10' wooden raft atop 55 gallon barrels? I believe the state didn't need to permit these rafts because they small and unobtrusive. Now that has changed!
I think the state needs to enact regulations on swim "Rafts" There needs to be size and height restrictions, permitting and maybe even taxes! Hell I get taxed on my docks and breakwater.
I'm not a fan of regulation, but people have pushed the limits by purchasing monster "Rafts" that uglyfiy the shoreline and impinge upon the neighbors views and property values.
The state would not allow this in any other park, why should Winnipesaukee
be different?
Hell of it is many of these hardly if ever are used so they are an eyesore for months for no reason. Be one thing if there were a ton of kids all over them but most of the time I drive by these things they are used as much as the house they sit in front of... not much if ever.

At some point I believe the regulations will come, as you point out, in the beginning there was a swim raft. Now we have floating jungle gyms that cover 1/2 and acre.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #28
brk-lnt

This is obviously more of an application for a small solar array. 1000W of panels, an inverter, and a couple of batteries would be more practical than running a long extension cord.

However, once you consider the value of the unit itself, some onboard electronics, solar array, and maybe some interior decorations, it could become a theft target as well. A GPS tracker should probably be added as well, and maybe a small alarm system also.

It might also be prudent to add an anchor light, to ensure it is visible at night.

Finally, if the kids are going to be staying overnight on it a lot, a small porta-potty would likely be prudent as well.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #29
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Your child may become the next FORTNIGHT multi-millionaire!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #30
Momo

The owner of this flotilla must be taking his/her cues on being a “good neighbor” on the lake from The Dive
Momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:28 PM   #31
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo View Post
The owner of this flotilla must be taking his/her cues on being a “good neighbor” on the lake from The Dive
Awesome idea! Have the kids sell ice cream and refreshments from the raft.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #32
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo View Post
It's a troll.

We've been had.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #33
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

And obviously, we love it!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:05 PM   #34
8gv

So...no welding then?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:51 PM   #35
steve-on-mark

I was so ready to suggest a wind farm built on pilings...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #36
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

All great suggestions here, but I figure you are all missing the mark, if your going to have a swim raft capable of weekend adventures, 120V or 240V really doesn't matter, what you need to be sure of is that you have 100Amp service, and hey just so you don't have to worry about expansion why not go with 200Amp service.... You will not have to worry about how many hair dryers, are in use, or radio's etc. In fact with that kind of upgraded service, you could install an incinerating toilet, for convenience...

Now as has been brought up by others, some swim noddle conduit should do the trick for getting the wire out to the swim raft, and should have the added bonus, should someone be ignorant enough to be boating between your dock and the swim raft to provide a wonderful firework show anytime of the day. If your lucky they will have been fishing and you will get a well cooked fish fry.

But wait there is more, Just think you could put up some high intensity Halogen lights, to keep your shore front nice and lit up from the raft. After all you don't want the lights on shore because they will attract Mosquito's and the like. That way all your guest will be safe as they watch their kids safely from shore, and you will not have to worry about them tripping do to poor outside lighting, and a twig that has just fallen.

Last you just need to make sure that the connection goes directly to the transformer on the mainline, this way you will not have an accidental circuit breaker failure, when something goes wrong.... I mean those fuses on the poll must be good to a couple of hundred amps, before they fail......
ApS (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #37
Kamper

I know it's a joke post but I would expect serious issues with camping on a float.

The power issue is simple to resolve though. Just get blue tooth speakers and use a web-service on your smart phone. Put each piece in a water-proof bag and you are good to go. As for lighting... We all know about flashlights and battery operated lanterns.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote