Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
CateP

Default We're Moving to The Lakes Region!!

Hi Everybody,
My partner and I are moving to the lakes region. We currently live in NJ and are about to put our Jersey Shore house up for sale. We have spent the last two years planning for this move and have just received word from my company that I will be allowed to work at a home office and visit the Waltham office "as needed." I can't tell you how excited we are about this move.

I went to school at New Hampton (class of 1976) and my family owned a vacation home in Melvin Village for 15 years. While I have never lived in the lakes region full-time I feel pretty familiar with the area.

My partner and I are avid outdoors people and plan to take full advantage of the 4-seasons activity in the area. I sail (have a sunfish and am selling my 25ft Catalina) and we are planning on buying a used 20ft. pontoon boat w/ trailer so we can take the doggies out and fish and BBQ on any number of area lakes. We love fishing, hiking, x-country skiing, photography, video, theatre, sailing, pontooning and environmental education.

We have a ton of questions, but I guess my first is about my partner and I. We have been together for 6 years and have a civil union. We hope the year-round people in lakes region are friendly towards us since we are gay. We hope people don't care and we can make friends based on our common interests. Do you think we can feel safe and welcome in the region? (we're targeting Meredith, Guilford, Moultonborough, Sanbornton).

Thanks in advance and I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Argie's Wife

Congrats on your new job situation and your decision to move to the Lakes Region!

I hope that you and your partner find the perfect home for you both in a great community and feel welcomed.

As someone who moved here from another state when I married my husband, I learned that it can take a while to make friends. (I'm from Maine but have lived all over the USA... mainly in the South.)

If you're outgoing, network well with other people with similar interests, gets involved with local happenings and groups, it will be easier to make friends. I don't mean to sound like Dear Abby here, but remember... there's never been a phrase coined yet about "Yankee Hospitality".... people may keep to themselves until they know YOU... if they're standoffish it may have nothing to do with your being gay; just their own personalities.

I hope that makes sense.

Again, welcome!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
winnipugs

wolfeboro is a greatly diverse community and very welcoming best of luck to you both
winnipugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
As someone who moved here from another state when I married my husband, I learned that it can take a while to make friends. (I'm from Maine but have lived all over the USA... mainly in the South.)
Thanks for the welcome. It means a lot. We actually have a few friends in New Hampton alumni in the region, but plan to get involved in our community as much as possible. For me, I think volunteering at the Natural Science center in Holderness and being a backstage crew for the Winni Playhouse will garner me some good contacts.
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (01-11-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Welcome to the Forum and to the area.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Are you kidding. This place is so laid back I feel like sleeping at the wheel while driving to work....LOL!

"I think volunteering at the Natural Science center in Holderness...."

I like you already!

Oh and welcome to the forum....both of you.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (01-10-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipugs View Post
wolfeboro is a greatly diverse community and very welcoming best of luck to you both
A lawyer friend of mine in Guilford told me Wolfeboro politics are corrupt.
Also not thrilled with the summer traffic jams through town.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
ClosetExtrovert

I am so jealous.

I hope it's a wonderful move for your family
ClosetExtrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Pineedles

Welcome CateP and partner. I escaped NJ in 1982 but only made it as far as Conn. Considering the amount of snow NJ has been having over the past several years the Lakes Region will feel like home, but with less snow. Sounds like you will be contributing to the area. Nice going.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
ClosetExtrovert

Sounds like the lakes region is lousy with Jersey-ites...Hope to be joining you all in 3 years..
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
If you are used to larger scale politics, you may be shocked the first time you see who will be on your board of selectmen may scare you, especially if you are forward thinking/progressive/educated.

Welcome to small town New England and there are definitely warts. There are not many people who will voluntarily reach out to you. Say hello and wave, maybe. Social club? Nah.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
Meredith lady

Default welcome!

Welcome to the forum and the the Lakes Region. Meredith is awesome-check us out!
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #13
Pepper

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the Lakes Region! This is an especially wonderful place to be. I moved here 19 years ago from Philadelphia. I knew not a single soul.

I must agree with Argie'sWife, that it may take a little while for folks to warm-up. That being said, once they get to know you you'll discover there are no more warm-hearted folks on the face of the earth than there are here!

I also must agree with LawnPsycho, that there are some culture-shocks to be had!

I have never regretted transplanting myself here, and have come to think of NH as "Home", and of Philadelphia as a place where I go visit some of my family. The quality of life here is far superior to any other place I have ever lived, and the people are truly wonderful.

Welcome!!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
jkjoshuatree

Talking Welcome CateP

I don't know about some of the previous posts, but I've been coming to the Lakes Region since I was two months old (almost 38 years now), and I think people are extremely warm and friendly.

I will gladly reach out/wave/hug you and your partner anytime!!!

I'm in Meredith and have two pups myself, as well as being an avid outdoors person.

I don't care if you're black, white, purple, straight, gay, bi, short, fat, lazy, blind, or deaf...as long as your a decent person, I'll gladly say hello and welcome you!!!

Life is way too short to be hindered about what's on the outside of a person. It's what's on the inside that matters.

Glad to have you in the area!!!

Feel free to PM me anytime!!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
robmac

Welcome to the lakes region prior to your arrival. Hope you and your family find it both welcoming and worth the move as I think you will. Best of luck,I don't envy the commute to Waltham on the days you need to but the arrival back home more than makes up for it. Again welcome home.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
Lakepilot

Quote:
I live in Wolfeboro and welcome you to the area. I agree with Winnipugs that Wolfeboro is the best choice. It's a great town. Don't prejudge all the folks in Wolfeboro by what one of your friends has said. You would love living in our little town.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakepilot For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (01-11-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #17
Lakesrider

JK....Right on Brother!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (01-11-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
winniplayhouse

Quote:
For me, I think volunteering at the Natural Science center in Holderness and being a backstage crew for the Winni Playhouse will garner me some good contacts.
We will absolutely welcome you (and anyone else who wants to get involved) with open arms! We are always looking for volunteers and have put together a nice little crew of locals who never thought they'd be involved in theatre, have no interest in getting onstage themselves, but have found that they enjoy swinging a hammer and using a paint roller. More than that, they have made new friends and found a fun little community to be involved with. Please stop by and introduce yourself when you're next in town!
If anyone else is interested but feel like you don't have the tool experience, we offer some free tech theatre workshops to get people interested and give them some experience. We have a number of retirees who now help build every set while openly acknowledging that they have always hired others for
odd jobs and painting around their own homes! We just launched a new website www.winniplayhouse.org which has all the dates and details for workshops.
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #19
winnipiseogee

My wife and I lived in San Francisco and Berkeley before relocating to Meredith. I've been pleasantly surprised with how open minded and welcoming people are here. We've got a number of gay friends in the area and have never heard anything negative except one incident in Plymouth a number of years ago. Volunteering is a great way to get to know everyone. We found it difficult to meet locals during the summer as everyone always has a house full of guests but by the time the snow shows up everyone is looking for something to do! Also, I think Wolfeboro is a wonderful community but I'm not quite sure its as year round as some of the other towns we mentioned.

Welcome and best of luck!! We love it here and hope that you will too!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #20
Yankee

Quote:
Welcome to NH!

BTW, it is now commonly referrred to as "The Peoples Republic of Wolfeboro" by the local folk.

IMO, your friend is absolutely correct in their assesement regarding the politics of the town.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #21
Pineedles

Default Forum reaction?

So CateP, what do you think of our collection of merry posters? Many of us see each other at Forum fests or at each other's local business establishments. I hope you become one of our friends on winnipesaukee.com. If you want to be "undercover", that's fine too. Welcome.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #22
NHgirl

Default me too!!

i'm moving to NH as well, with my parents.....
NHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #23
CateP

Default We Made the Right Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
So CateP, what do you think of our collection of merry posters? Many of us see each other at Forum fests or at each other's local business establishments. I hope you become one of our friends on winnipesaukee.com. If you want to be "undercover", that's fine too. Welcome.
I think this is a fine band of merry posters and I love the idea that folks actually meet and greet. I have spent the last two hours checking out all the great info in the house section. We seem to be drawn to older houses in the real estate listings (much more interesting architecture) but are wary of all the potential problems. (We live in a 100+ year old house now). There is a house on 96 Pease Rd. Meredith that looks very lovely, but it was built in 1900. Worried about septic, old oil furnace etc. We're also wondering whether Pease Rd. is busy because we have two dogs. The property has almost 4 acres, but the actual house is pretty close to the road.

We plan on taking a trip up in March to look at some of the houses on our list. We'll be staying at the Inn at Mill Falls. For now, we just like to check the web cams and marvel at the many moods of the big lake.

P.S. Our house in NJ is filled with loon stuff and we've taken some incredible pictures of our loon friends on Jenness Pond in Northwood. (friendliest loons we've met). The Loon Center is another place I may volunteer, but I really want to hang with the kids at NSC in Holderness. I am a former classroom teacher,worked at Maine Audubon, and started my own environmental education summer camp in Maine that was a huge success for the years that I had the energy to be teaching kids year-round
Old 01-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #24
beaner

Hey Cate, I just sent you a Private Message. Or maybe I should say I think I sent you a Private Message! I've never attempted to do that before, so let me know whether you get it or not.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #25
Pineedles

Our place was built in 1892 and is solid as a rock but you are wise to check out the septic system. Too many of the early cottages had the septic system too close to the lake. We moved ours back 200 feet in the 70s. Did you see that we held a forum fest at the Loon center a few years ago? Check out the pictures in the forum fest topic section.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #26
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Cate, welcome to you and your partner!

Best of luck with your sale in NJ and your purchase here. Give Moultonborough some consideration- we have a great blend of low taxes and good services.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (01-13-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #27
SIKSUKR

Default Welcome but I have to do this

Quote:
We currently live in NJ and are about to put our Jersey Shore house up for sale.
What's the situation there in Jersey?Will Snooky and Pauly be moving here also?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #28
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
What's the situation there in Jersey?Will Snooky and Pauly be moving here also?
Good observation SIKSUKR.....

My 19 year old granddaughter has to watch "Jersey Shores" everytime she stays with us.

She loves Snookie and Pauly.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #29
gf2020

Pease Road is sort of a cut thru street and that house is fairly close to the road. That said, however, I think that property is a heck of a deal for under $300K.

Even if you needed to put in a new septic, roof and boiler for say $30K you would have a very nice place at a competitive price.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #30
RLW

CateP, glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum as it is a great place to meet and make new friends also the best of luck locating a possible new home. One thing everyone has forgotten to tell you and that is we get overwhelmed with fee’s on top of fee’s on top of fee’s and a surcharge now and then other than that we do very well.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #31
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Cate, welcome to you and your partner!

Best of luck with your sale in NJ and your purchase here. Give Moultonborough some consideration- we have a great blend of low taxes and good services.
I second the Moultonborough recommendation! I am soooo jealous of you Cate. I wish I was making the move as well. If you have or are planning of raising children then Moultonborough should get some consideration for its awesome schools. Not that there aren't great schools elsewhere but I hear such great things about Moultonborough. Plus as VB said the taxes are low. Good Luck and I wish you well.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #32
TOAD

Good Luck with you house hunting and move up to God's country Cate.

I sincerely hope your house hunting endeavors pay off sooner than ours has.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #33
Lakesrider

Moutonborough...The most boring town in America...
Seriously if you need to commute to MA your going to be way better off on the Meredith side of the lake. Close to rt104 which gets you to exit 23 on RT93 fairly quickly. Moultonborough is a 1/2 hour ride just to get to the highway....or anywhere else. Oh and that turns into at least an hour in the Summer. Going down the hills into Meredith can take 40 minutes on some days alone.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #34
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Seriously if you need to commute to MA your going to be way better off on the Meredith side of the lake. Close to rt104 which gets you to exit 23 on RT93 fairly quickly. Moultonborough is a 1/2 hour ride just to get to the highway....or anywhere else. Oh and that turns into at least an hour in the Summer. Going down the hills into Meredith can take 40 minutes on some days alone.
Moultonberry is a little slow at times, but we are located right between two of the best "downtown" areas on the lake- Wolfeboro and Meredith!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #35
brk-lnt

go away!

Just kidding
Old 01-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #36
jkjoshuatree

Default CateP

I don't know if you're familiar with Private Messages and would even notice if you have them (top right under your screen name) but I sent you one.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #37
CateP

Default All mesages received.

WOW. This is an amazing forum. You people are funny, informative and really welcoming. I have received all PMs and am grateful to those of you who have reached out.

I am sharing all the posts with my partner Tracy and she is now even more thrilled about our relocation choice. (She is the jersey girl, I am not--New Englander all my life except for a brief stint in NJ-going back home).

And as far as those embarrassing characters on that TV show (Jersey Shore), we hope they stay here. We're bringing none of that up north. The reason we are moving to the lakes region is because of what it IS, not because we want to change things. Our attitude is that we are going to be polite guests for awhile. We will listen and learn and RESPECT the people and culture of the area. Over time we will assimilate (sounds a little sci-fi doesn't it?). Or should I say adapt and blend?

I am so glad I found this forum. It's a god-send to our relocation plans.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #38
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Pease Road is sort of a cut thru street and that house is fairly close to the road. That said, however, I think that property is a heck of a deal for under $300K.

Even if you needed to put in a new septic, roof and boiler for say $30K you would have a very nice place at a competitive price.
Thanks for the info on 96 Pease Rd. 300k is the top of our price range so we can't get into additional major renovations. Our attitude about finding our home is that it will be the right place and the right time. We are putting our faith and trust in the house-hunter higher power.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #39
CateP

Quote:
Indeed. My access to 93 is fairly important. That is why the houses we are looking at in Meredith on Pease Rd. and Chemung St are looking good to us. There's also a house in Laconia on Pickerel Pond that is on the top of our list.
We're hoping to find something that has decent access to 93 and allows us to take back roads to shopping over on Rt.3 in Laconia/Guilford.

We know some of these properties may not be available when we are ready to buy, but at least we are trying to target a specific area.

(Although there are a few super properties in Sandwich too!)
Old 01-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #40
Cristen

Default Welcome!

Hi Cate - congrats on your decision to move to the lake! We moved up here from the Boston area 2 years ago. I am very happy with my new home and take full advantage of the seasons.

The lakes region is not as diverse as a city of course, but I think most people are very welcoming. I wish you and your partner the best of luck with your move!

Cristen
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cristen For This Useful Post:
CateP (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #41
feb

Quote:
Indeed. My access to 93 is fairly important. That is why the houses we are looking at in Meredith on Pease Rd. and Chemung St are looking good to us.
Chemung will be about 1.5 to 1.75 hours from Waltham on a good day. During normal commuting hours you're probably looking at 2.5 or so.

Excellent dog walking and mountain biking trails around the Chemung area though.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to feb For This Useful Post:
CateP (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #42
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Cate.....definately look at Windsong Place off the Meredith Center road. It is a wonderful neighborhood with great neighbors and lots of nice dogs....goldens and such. I don't know if there is anything available there but if there is, you can't find a nicer spot. Almost secluded on a cul-de-sac but 10 minutes to Meredith, Laconia and rt 93.
We don't live there but walk there a lot and people are really nice....several invited us in to see their home or meet their dogs.
Google it up........I believe it is well within your price range.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #43
beaner

Quote:
(Although there are a few super properties in Sandwich too!)
Can anyone on the forum confirm whether Sandwich has high-speed internet access? I seem to recall that the only available option for many years was dial-up, but perhaps that problem has been solved. Anyone know?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #44
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb View Post
Chemung will be about 1.5 to 1.75 hours from Waltham on a good day. During normal commuting hours you're probably looking at 2.5 or so.

Excellent dog walking and mountain biking trails around the Chemung area though.
Yeah. I'm planning on a least a 2-hour ride to Waltham, MA and 2 hours back. Will make for one l-o-n-g day (if I don't stay over at the company hotel suite). It's worth it since I'll be coming home to one of the most beautiful places in the northeast.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #45
Rose

Quote:
Over time we will assimilate (sounds a little sci-fi doesn't it?). Or should I say adapt and blend?
Oh no...they're not Jerseyites....they're BORG!!!!

Sorry...Trekker here...welcome to the forum and you will LOVE the Lakes Region.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #46
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Cate.....definately look at Windsong Place off the Meredith Center road. It is a wonderful neighborhood with great neighbors and lots of nice dogs....goldens and such. I don't know if there is anything available there but if there is, you can't find a nicer spot. Almost secluded on a cul-de-sac but 10 minutes to Meredith, Laconia and rt 93.
We don't live there but walk there a lot and people are really nice....several invited us in to see their home or meet their dogs.
Google it up........I believe it is well within your price range.
We are using the NNREN listings , which pretty much lists everything for sale in the area. (except for sale by owner, which we probably won't get involved with). No listings for Windsong Place at this time. BUT I think more houses will come on the market this spring. Winter is a snoozy kind of time for real estate.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #47
Argie's Wife

Talking Resistance is Futile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Oh no...they're not Jerseyites....they're BORG!!!!

Sorry...Trekker here...welcome to the forum and you will LOVE the Lakes Region.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #48
jsn

WELCOME to the Lakes Region. One suggestion, you may want to look at a larger pontoon.....22' to 24'. Makes the voyage smoother, just my opinion! Also, remember you will need a dock for your boat if you don't want to trailer it.
And, Meredith is a beautiful town. When you head up to house hunt, try out local spots(food/drink) to get e feel.....the bar at Lago, Lakehouse, Karen and Barry's Bristo, Camp, George's Diner, Dirty Gringo, Patrick's Pub, Canoe, The Mug.....
jsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsn For This Useful Post:
CateP (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #49
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
Can anyone on the forum confirm whether Sandwich has high-speed internet access? I seem to recall that the only available option for many years was dial-up, but perhaps that problem has been solved. Anyone know?
Sandwich, this year, got DSL downtown. There are no cable providers in town, because the town requires a cable applicant to cover the entire town, not economically feasable. The rest of the town is covered mainly by two wireless providers (WINK)
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #50
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Sandwich, this year, got DSL downtown. There are no cable providers in town, because the town requires a cable applicant to cover the entire town, not economically feasable. The rest of the town is covered mainly by two wireless providers (WINK)
Okay-Sandwich is out then. My job depends on dependable high speed internet.

I guess we'll just go to the fair then.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #51
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsn View Post
WELCOME to the Lakes Region. One suggestion, you may want to look at a larger pontoon.....22' to 24'. Makes the voyage smoother, just my opinion! Also, remember you will need a dock for your boat if you don't want to trailer it.
And, Meredith is a beautiful town. When you head up to house hunt, try out local spots(food/drink) to get e feel.....the bar at Lago, Lakehouse, Karen and Barry's Bristo, Camp, George's Diner, Dirty Gringo, Patrick's Pub, Canoe, The Mug.....
We are certainly going to have fine time dining out when we come up. I've been checking things out at the restaurant forum, but thanks for this great list.

As far as our boats go, this is the story. We have a 25ft sailboat that we've been using for the past five years in NJ. Between slip fees, storage and maintenance we've spent close to 40k. (shocker). When we move to the lakes region we're going to have a Sunfish (trailered) and a small pontoon boat that will also be trailered. No more slip fees or storage fees. (or valet) We plan on going to the smaller lakes in the region. I have great respect for Winnipesaukee and even Squam and Newfound. Those are big lakes with potentially big waves. Once we get up there we'll find out more about where we can go and the best pontoon size. (we won't have a lot of $$ for the pontoon so we're going used).
Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #52
dykg

I want to do the same thing - maybe some day.
dykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #53
baygo

Welcome CateP, you're in for a treat. My wife and I moved here 1 and 1/2 years ago. We absolutely love it!! Look at Southdown Shores in Laconia. It's a gated community with many awesome deals right now. You'll also be very close to the Lakes Region's premier Tapas Restaurant.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #54
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Welcome CateP, you're in for a treat. My wife and I moved here 1 and 1/2 years ago. We absolutely love it!! Look at Southdown Shores in Laconia. It's a gated community with many awesome deals right now. You'll also be very close to the Lakes Region's premier Tapas Restaurant.
Hi Baygo,
Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation. I'm thinking I should start a real estate thread.
We're not really interested in developments and gate communities. We live on the Jersey shore in a very dense area, beautiful, historical, but no space. We're hoping to find a house with acreage. (at least one acre or more with privacy) We're also looking for house that have some "character". It seems like everything that was built in 2000 and beyond (in our price range) has absolutely no character. Square, boring houses...oh but they have stainless steel appliance and granite counter tops--zzzzzzzzzz.
Pepper (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #55
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Hi Everybody,
My partner and I are moving to the lakes region. We currently live in NJ and are about to put our Jersey Shore house up for sale. We have spent the last two years planning for this move and have just received word from my company that I will be allowed to work at a home office and visit the Waltham office "as needed." I can't tell you how excited we are about this move.

I went to school at New Hampton (class of 1976) and my family owned a vacation home in Melvin Village for 15 years. While I have never lived in the lakes region full-time I feel pretty familiar with the area.

My partner and I are avid outdoors people and plan to take full advantage of the 4-seasons activity in the area. I sail (have a sunfish and am selling my 25ft Catalina) and we are planning on buying a used 20ft. pontoon boat w/ trailer so we can take the doggies out and fish and BBQ on any number of area lakes. We love fishing, hiking, x-country skiing, photography, video, theatre, sailing, pontooning and environmental education.

We have a ton of questions, but I guess my first is about my partner and I. We have been together for 6 years and have a civil union. We hope the year-round people in lakes region are friendly towards us since we are gay. We hope people don't care and we can make friends based on our common interests. Do you think we can feel safe and welcome in the region? (we're targeting Meredith, Guilford, Moultonborough, Sanbornton).

Thanks in advance and I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum.
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the lakes region of NH. As many have already stated, don't worry about the acceptance of you and your partner. It is unfortunate that you have to think about something like that, but I do understand the concern. As a whole the lakes region in my opinion is fairly open and not overly conservative with such things. My best recommendation at this point is continue to join us here on the forum, get to know some of us, and once you know where you are going to settle down in the area, You will find one or more of us in the area. The hard part remember is making the first friend, after that they start to come easier. Once I finally started getting out and meeting people form the forum, the lakes region started becoming a busy place for me... I have many boating destinations, and friends to see all over the big lake.
CateP (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #56
jeffatsquam

Hi,catep
Welcome to the form, the newest lakes region icon created by our wonderful webmaster Don.

Ok so the cat is out of the bag,You know something about Sandwich

So up until very recently I would have read your op and said to my self to bad that person dose not know about our wonderful little town. And would have moved on not wanting to let the secret out. Well not any more.

Sandwich is in need of some new residents as it is a town in transition.
We have lost several of our older residents in the past couple of years that had a lot to do with making this a great place to live.

Just to clear this up their are several different ways to get high speed Internet in Sandwich depending on where in town you are located.
My sister lives in sandwich and she works on the Internet daily moving lots of data.

The fact that some of our older residents are transitioning out of town for the typical reasons, This has created a large glut of fantastic Real Estate opportunities of some beautiful restored older homes.Their are also newer homes available I believe their are more homes on the market right now than in the past several decades.

As you probably know Sandwich is located on the northeastern Quadrant of Squam Lake it has it's own (resident only) boat lunch with parking its a newer ramp and is very easy to use.

Along with the Squam beech their are also many other swimming holes on ponds and rivers that are excellent.

Sandwich is a easy drive to either the Squam lakes science center or the loon center in Moultonboro.

I can think of just off hand at least a bakers dozen of couples living in same sex unions many of them being Vidal parts of the community.

Sandwich is loaded with craftsmen and woman and trades people that are in to green tech and building, In fact their are more renewable energy projects in Sandwich than the rest of the lakes region combined.

Their are many New Hampton alumni although I can't think of any '76ers off hand.

Exit 23 is 30 mins. The road to North Sandwich was pretty rough up in til the rebuild in 2009 we call it the North Sandwich connector now.

You should really check out Sandwich it is a great town that needs some new life because the people that made it great cant live forever.

I could go on but I will leave it at that for now.

FREE WARD BIRD
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffatsquam For This Useful Post:
CateP (01-11-2011)
Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #57
scubajay1153

Default I am a wee late....

....but in the Ridgewood Ave neighborhood here in Gilford we have quite a few homes for sale for under $200K and some of them are in good shape and located right off the bypass but yet far enough away to remain cozy. Our police, fire and EMS services are top notch and the town crews do a great job with the roads during inclement weather. Good luck in the property search and welcome to the area!
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #58
ronc4424

Another welcome to CateP. Another suggestion is to check out Ashland. It is the geographical center of NH. It is right at exit 24 off rt 93. Plenty of property for sale at decent prices. You would be within walking distance of Little Squam lake. There is a public ( free ) ramp on Squam at the Science Center. Also,there are some of the more popular restaurants ( Walters Basin,The Comman Man in Ashland & near by Plymouth and the Itallian Farmhouse ).
If you take rt 3 it is only 12 miles to Meridith ( Mills Falls ). Go south on 93 and it is 20 miles to exit 20 and anything you would want to buy or eat. It's another 20 miles to ConCord. To travel north to visit Lincoln and the senic Kanc highway it is only 25 miles. Well,thats all I have to offer. Looking forward to being neighbors.......
ronc4424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #59
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Old bumper sticker

Back in the days when people started moving to NH, the natives will proudly wear a sticker on thier car. 'Welcome to NH, Now go home!'.

Still hold true among the natives as the 'yuppies' are retiring and bringing thier 'way of living' to NH and trying to tell us what to do.

NH natives and 'Jerseyites' can co-exist if they can leave their values at the NH border and live like the natives.

The reality show 'Jersey Shores' and others are not what we like to become to be.

Welcome to NH. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #60
Lakesrider

LOL. I moved up from Nashua. Which is basically like being from MA. People work in MA and live in Nashua. Then I moved up here. I thought, Boy it is weird up here. Too relaxed. Six years later, I may not be a Native from here, but I sure am now one of the relaxed ones! MY friends tell me I turned a 180 degrees from my old personality, of being a stressed out depressed Business Manger. So it doesn't matter where you are from. After enough time goes by you will be just like us, and you'll be saying, "OH great here come the Summer folk!" Or as in another thread from here....the "Flatlanders"!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #61
CateP

Default I Hear You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Back in the days when people started moving to NH, the natives will proudly wear a sticker on thier car. 'Welcome to NH, Now go home!'.

Still hold true among the natives as the 'yuppies' are retiring and bringing thier 'way of living' to NH and trying to tell us what to do.
Broadhopper- I totally understand this point of view. Please see my post #37 where I address this very issue. BTW-I'm not a jersey girl I'm a New Englander. Grew up in northwestern CT, went to the New Hampton School, lived in Boston and Cape Elizabeth, Maine. My NJ stint has been about 12 years. I want to come home.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #62
LadyJane

Default what Jeff said

A few years ago I started out looking for a piece of land in Meredith or Center Harbor and ended up buying in Sandwich. It is one sweet town. Everywhere you drive it's eye candy. I have met some absolutely lovely people there and for a town of such little population there are an amazing amount of things to do. I also think anyone with an interest in theather and the arts ( I'm an artist) would feel comfortable there. Check it out. But all the towns around there are nice. I am so happy for you. It will be so much fun just looking at properties. If / when I can make it happen I may make the move from Ct. to N.H. too. Congratulations and have fun !!!
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #63
CateP

Quote:
LOL. I moved up from Nashua. Which is basically like being from MA. People work in MA and live in Nashua. Then I moved up here. I thought, Boy it is weird up here. Too relaxed. Six years later, I may not be a Native from here, but I sure am now one of the relaxed ones! MY friends tell me I turned a 180 degrees from my old personality, of being a stressed out depressed Business Manger. So it doesn't matter where you are from. After enough time goes by you will be just like us, and you'll be saying, "OH great here come the Summer folk!" Or as in another thread from here....the "Flatlanders"!
Seems everywhere I've lived there are summer tourists. We get hammered here on the Jersey shore. It's quite unpleasant. (Reason #134 for why we are moving). When my family had a house in Melvin Village I liked the winter time best. Very mellow. Easy to get around the lake.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #64
gtxrider

Default I am so jealous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClosetExtrovert View Post
Sounds like the lakes region is lousy with Jersey-ites...Hope to be joining you all in 3 years..
Congratulations on the move!

Still stuck in NJ but hope some day to move north...All I want is a small house and a big garage.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #65
Gavia immer

Quote:
Hi Everybody,

If I remember correctly, it is Moultonborough that is home to the Ward Byrd incident. Your input in that thread could be helpful in selecting or deselecting Moultonborough as a destination choice. Ward Byrd has wide support in Moultonborough.
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #66
Lucky1

Quote:
I think this is a fine band of merry posters and I love the idea that folks actually meet and greet. I have spent the last two hours checking out all the great info in the house section. We seem to be drawn to older houses in the real estate listings (much more interesting architecture) but are wary of all the potential problems. (We live in a 100+ year old house now). There is a house on 96 Pease Rd. Meredith that looks very lovely, but it was built in 1900. Worried about septic, old oil furnace etc. We're also wondering whether Pease Rd. is busy because we have two dogs. The property has almost 4 acres, but the actual house is pretty close to the road.

We plan on taking a trip up in March to look at some of the houses on our list. We'll be staying at the Inn at Mill Falls. For now, we just like to check the web cams and marvel at the many moods of the big lake.

P.S. Our house in NJ is filled with loon stuff and we've taken some incredible pictures of our loon friends on Jenness Pond in Northwood. (friendliest loons we've met). The Loon Center is another place I may volunteer, but I really want to hang with the kids at NSC in Holderness. I am a former classroom teacher,worked at Maine Audubon, and started my own environmental education summer camp in Maine that was a huge success for the years that I had the energy to be teaching kids year-round
Zillow says that it last sold JUly 8, 2009 so maybe there is a listing from then that would give you more details. What was the price then? Did they paint it up to sell it or??? Since it has been on the market for 281 or something days, I would want to know if it is overpriced or if it is just a poor economy or if there are structural problems etc. Meredith tends to have higher taxes than some other towns like Moultonborough which has a lot of lake front properties that helps the tax raise income. Good luck in whatever you find. Sounds like you have some good ideas.

The people on this Forum always seem warm and welcoming and I love the lakes region. One in a while someone can be harsh occasionally, but even one or two who might be harsh will seem to come along and be warm and friendly given some time. I assume that, like the rest of the world, the lakes region has some wonderful people and some not so wonderful people as well as everything in between. I have no idea on the gay issue but maybe ask if there is a group in the area or someone who is gay and knows how the atmosphere is and what their experience has been. You sound like you are well organized and know what you are doing. I wish you luck.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #67
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Zillow says that it last sold JUly 8, 2009 so maybe there is a listing from then that would give you more details. What was the price then? Did they paint it up to sell it or??? Since it has been on the market for 281 or something days, I would want to know if it is overpriced or if it is just a poor economy or if there are structural problems etc.
The property was subdivided in 2009 so that is why it shows as a sale. The listing has been on Zillow for 238 days. With a property this old I would be sure to have a thorough house inspection done.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #68
Pineedles

I think we are overwhelming CateP with our emails, at least that's my impression. I think she knows we welcome them to the LR. I also see that she responds to nearly every post, which has got to be some work. JMHO. Whoa, just crossed the 2' foot mark for snow here. Might be another day at home tomorrow. awww, I'm so dissapointed.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #69
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I think we are overwhelming CateP with our emails, at least that's my impression. I think she knows we welcome them to the LR. I also see that she responds to nearly every post, which has got to be some work. JMHO. Whoa, just crossed the 2' foot mark for snow here. Might be another day at home tomorrow. awww, I'm so dissapointed.
I am very happy with all these responses. It's amazing and very informative.
If people are taking the time to write I am happy to reply.
Enjoy the snow Pineedles. We had 31 inches here back in December and just got another 6 inches today. More snow than I've seen in years.
Pineedles (01-13-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #70
ClosetExtrovert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider View Post
Congratulations on the move!

Still stuck in NJ but hope some day to move north...All I want is a small house and a big garage.
Piscataway? We're your neighbors over here in Clark!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #71
LIforrelaxin

CateP,

As I read through this thread again, I was suddenly hit with a question. You mentioned wanting to have good access to the highway, for commuting reasons. When you have to commute, where exactly will you be having to commute too... And how often do you expect to have to make that commute

My family's summer place is in Moultonborough, and I commute to Norwood on Monday Mornings, normally once a month or so from May - August. Usually because Sunday is just so beautiful that I can't tare myself from the lake. While it takes some time it isn't awful, as long as I am not doing it daily... once a week isn't really bad... Yes I have left the lake driven to work, and returned to the lake. It does make for a good 12 to 13 hour day....but the perks!!!

My point is this, if the true commuting need is going to be rare, living in area's like Moultoborough aren't all that bad. Additionally depending on where you need to commute to, there might be some towns like Freedom, that are North of Winnipesaukee, but maintain a good commuting path down to Northern Mass.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #72
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Hey ,Cate......think you have your answer as to being welcome in the lakes region of NH :-)
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #73
Pineedles

Hey CE, how about Mountainside/Westfield, NJ? Nice towns, but can't hold a candle to Moultonborough or Center Harbor.

Cate, Samiam and his wife are the ultimate of all restaurant owners in the area. I would vote for you to locate your new home on the Center Harbor Moultonborough line.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #74
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post

...where exactly will you be having to commute too...

She mentions Waltham in the very first paragraph.

Heck, Norwood is even further than that!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #75
CateP

We are trying to find something in Gilford or Meredith first. Then we are looking at surrounding towns. Our final destination is really going to come down to a variety of factors. (house, taxes, services nearby, commute time etc.) I am not letting my occasional commute dominate all other factors, but if we can find something that meets all our needs that would be great.

Any thoughts on Northfield and Belmont?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #76
LIforrelaxin

Don't know much about Northfield... The only downside I have ever heard regarding Belmont is taxes....
Old 01-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #77
WJT2

I'd sell the unfish and keep the catalina. Lot of great sailing days for a 25'...not so much sunfish..boring!
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #78
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJT2 View Post
I'd sell the unfish and keep the catalina. Lot of great sailing days for a 25'...not so much sunfish..boring!
I would love to have my Catalina 25 up at the lake, but the cost of transporting it up there from the Jersey shore and paying for summer and winter storage is prohibitive. My plan is to find some sailors with big boats who would like a knowledgeable crew member every now and then. (I know there were times when I wish I had some experienced crew on board.)
Old 01-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #79
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Don't discount Alton

Easy connection to 93 by going down rte28, cut across through Chichester to 9-202-4 to I393. Travel time about 40 minutes from Alton circle.

If you did bring your Catalina up to the lake, Faye's in Gilford or Roberts Cove Marina could probably help out with mooring, if you didn't get lakefront with a mooring or dock.

And a belated welcome to the lakes region.

And Alton is very progressive...we got one set of traffic lights just a few years ago when Hannaford's came to town .
Old 01-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #80
livenh

Default Hi Cate

Hi,

Alton is a good area to live. Still low taxes in comparison. Belmont is WAAY high (and no big lake access). I hope you will find the area welcoming. Of course it is like everywhere else. No matter what you will always find someone who will be critical but I think, for the most part, we are a liberal thinking group. Please feel free to contact me as I can put you in touch with some friends that could probably answer more indepth questions on this. I am a transplant as well. Maybe that is why we are such a good group - we New Hampshirites (New Hampshorians??) come from all over!
livenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #81
Barbara

Welcome, Cate. I sent you a private message as I had a lot to share with you. I think I might have sent it THREE times.....OOPS!!

For all of you other NJ transplants and wannabe transplants, I'm a former Jersey Girl too. I was born and raised in Jersey City, moved to and raised my kids in North Plainfiels, NJ and FINALLY moved to Wolfeboro ten years ago. I'm in Heaven and didn't have to die to get here. I've come to know all the areas around the lake quite well and wouldn't leave Wolfeboro for anything....even a FREE house on the other side of the lake.

As far as taxes, anyone from NJ cannot complain about the taxes in any of the towns around the lake. We custonm built a new house (not lakefront), but lakeview, have 2 acres of land, and 1000 sq ft. more than in NJ and are paying less in taxes now than we were paying ten years agoin NJ!!!!
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #82
Pineedles

Barbara, was Ray's Sport Shop still there in Plainfield when you left? I worked there a couple of summers.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #83
Barbara

Yes, three minutes from my house, on the other side of Rt. 22. I visit friends in my old town and it's still there now.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbara For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (01-28-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #84
Rusty

Don't you wish that you could find a place in the Lakes region with a view like the below photo shows.

This photo was on the front page of today's Laconia Daily Sun:
Attached Images

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #85
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

It is a real nice view Rusty. I am wondering when the photo was taken, looks like the lake is completely open and there is quite a bit of natural snow on the ground in the background. Not sure that we had that situation this winter.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #86
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Don't you wish that you could find a place in the Lakes region with a view like the below photo shows.

This photo was on the front page of today's Laconia Daily Sun:
HARD TO NOT STOP AND STARE.
That's all I could do, as I would be paralyzed with fear. I like my skiing on a level surface, like the lake.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #87
gf2020

Not sure when that picture was taken. Judging by the lack of ice on the lake I would say it was either early season or late season. The picture below was taken 01/15/11. It was about -10 at the summit.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #88
Lucky1

Default Depends where you are in Moultonborough...

Quote:
I am near Fullers and think it is about 10 minutes to Meredith. I love Moultonborough, but think that if you go further north it would add too much to your commute. There probably are lots of good simple homes with nice views around. Center Harbor has a nice public beach where we had our Forum Fest last year. Heaths is right there and I like St Charles and Father Audett.

Does Meredith have a public beach........I am thinking that it must have one? The air is so fresh and clean, but I am just not familiar with what is available close to Center Harbor in Moultonborough that is not waterfront. Going down the neck road is a real killer so would not want to do that often.....think it is about ten miles each way? I do have good friends there who love it.

I grew up renting way up in front of what is now Suissvale down on Route 109 in Moultonborough. Suissvale wasn't there then. Simple cottages that my family rented near one that their friends had built! 100 foot waterfront lots cost 500 dollars and they built a small cottage themselves! Now it is torn down and a huge home replaced it. I miss it though. But that area is just too far from 93 etc. There are lots of nice woodsy areas and lots if you do not want waterfront I think, but the location would not work. Also the water is not as clear as it once was. So the Moultonborough near the Fullers area would still work if there is much available off the water. It would add some time to your commute but not all that much....ten minutes. I go to Hanafords and often take off for exit 20 for Home Depot or Walmart or go down to TJMaxx by taking Rte three down the lake. I am really at home at the lake and will be fine if I don't have too many health problems. I also like going off to Plymouth. Again, you will know it when you see it. Your heart will fly away!

I think you will love it at the lake. You don't have to decide now. Heck you grew up here in New Hampton? You probably know more about this area than most of us who did not live here then!! Are you lucky in life? I am a Lucky1 and love my life and my lake! You will be happy as two peas in a pod.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #89
KarmaGirl

Default No problem being out...

Just saw your post re attitudes toward gays. My partner and I are open about being gay and have had no problems, in fact it's a non-issue. We'd love to meet you both and share common interests -- we have only met a few gay women up here. BTW, we have a "tri-toon and love it!
KarmaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #90
bclaker

Default Leavitt Beach

Meredith has a beautiful public beach, just off Route 25 a few hundred feet before the sharp turn as you approach Center Harbor. It's Leavitt Beach.
There is a nice picture on this web site. (http://www.meredithnh.org/parks.php)
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #91
loneskier

I drive up from MA almost every weekend. 93N is always slow going. I go to a house in Laconia near Weirs Beach. I drive the bypass to rt 106 to rt 93. Just so you know you don't have to take 93 all the way up to 104 and it helps break up the ride. My family had a home in Meredith for a long time and the traffic was unbearable during the summer months.
loneskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #92
Lucky1

Default Is there a sign or anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaker View Post
Meredith has a beautiful public beach, just off Route 25 a few hundred feet before the sharp turn as you approach Center Harbor. It's Leavitt Beach.
There is a nice picture on this web site. (http://www.meredithnh.org/parks.php)
Gosh I have been coming to the lake since I was 8 or 9 and have not been aware of this beach. My parents rented a small cottage on the lake when I was a child starting back in the 1950 ties. As an adult the cottage on the lake was purchased in 1986. Now here it is 2011 and I have never seen this beach???? Goes to show you what I know I guess. Will look for it when the weather warms. I love the lake!!! And some of the people are not bad either Pulling you leg a bit here!
Thanks bclaker!!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #93
beaner

Hey Cate, glad to hear you had an enjoyable visit.
I just sent you a private message.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #94
Steve Di.

Default Commute

I don't think a once in a while commute to Waltham is that bad. If it were me, I would look for houses on the Rt. 93 side of the Lake.

I will be moving to the Lake in 2012 and will have to commute to Logan Airport about once per week. The commute to the airport has lead me to look in the Route 16 (East) side of the Lake.

I am sure some of the experts on the forum can list the detours to avoid the Louden traffic when the races are in town. The race traffic can jam up route 93.

Last edited by Steve Di.; 03-15-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #95
trfour

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Di. View Post
I don't think a once in a while commute to Waltham is that bad. If it were me, I would look for houses on the Rt. 93 side of the Lake.

I will be moving to the Lake in 2012 and will have to commute to Logan Airport about once per week. The commute to the airport has lead me to look on the Route 16 (East) side of the Lake.

I am sure some of the experts on the forum can list the detours to avoid the Louden traffic when the races are in town. The race traffic can jam up route 93.
Although a work around during races and traffic consumes fast, for the few learn very and maybe last, in this for a reason I for one enjoy NasCar. They bring many dallars to our Region, and continue to draw many to this area as well.
It is a very tough economy for all of us these days, and with FootBall up in the air, just count our many blessings...
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #96
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Although a work around during races and traffic consumes fast, for the few learn very and maybe last, in this for a reason I for one enjoy NasCar.
English translation, please?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (03-15-2011), Kamper (03-16-2011), RLW (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #97
wMw

Default It was so nice to meet you...

You both seemed to be having so much fun with the house hunting. Hope you find a wonderful place. I think you will love it here. Now that the snow is finally melting there seems to be more and more activity here.

Enjoy the search and I hope to see you both again.

Sing...Dance...Love...Live deliberately!!!
wMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #98
Bear247

I have been on The Lake since 1972 and also never knew there was a public beach in Meredith. Also welcome..
Bear247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #99
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wMw View Post
You both seemed to be having so much fun with the house hunting. Hope you find a wonderful place. I think you will love it here. Now that the snow is finally melting there seems to be more and more activity here.

Enjoy the search and I hope to see you both again.
Hi wMw,
It was great meeting you too. We had a blast looking at houses, but were exhausted at the end of the day. Luckily we were staying at such a comfortable, beautiful inn.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #100
trfour

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
English translation, please?
I was watching some NasCar reruns as I was typing, and they were doing close to 200 miles an hour, just trying to keep up... Sorry I lost ya.

" English translation, please? "...

I've enjoyed many NasCar races at NHMS, and never had any problems with traffic as I know the area and the outback ( if you will ) and arrived to and from in a very mostly English manner!... Now, as I learned in my comfort zone, so does everyone els have to. There is always something to learn of getting out and about in the environment that of which you enjoy!

Just wait until you get as old as I am... ( brain cramps are possible )
T

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote