Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #101
tummyman

It is time to take more serious action on this topic. I suggest EVERYONE write to the members of the Meredith Selectboard expressing their frustration. Go to MeredithNH.org, then under Boards and Committees click on Selectboard, then write to each of the members by clicking on their name. Simple, easy way to get the message out to them. If we can get 50 letters, maybe they will at least try and get the state to re-evaluate. Also, let's write to the editors at Laconia Daily Sun....maybe they will do a story on it and the adverse impact it is having on Meredith business. Without this grass roots pressure, nothing will happen.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #102
tummyman

I just sent email letters to each of the 5 BOS members...easy to do, using copy for all your comments. Took ten minutes overall. Then I sent letters to Meredith News and Laconia Sun requesting they do a story on the issue. Will you help by sending your letters???? Please, let's get the letter writing campaign off to a great start before the summer season is over.

Meredith News..... mnews@salmonpress.news

Laconia Sun...... news@laconiadailysun.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Orion (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #103
WinnisquamZ

Another issue that has risen due to these lights is the amount of traffic that is avoiding them, traveling thru Meredith center.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:27 AM   #104
exlakesregioner

Meredith center? You must mean downtown Meredith, two different places.
exlakesregioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:10 AM   #105
fatlazyless

Exclamation .... is there a link?

It's a bit of a cause and effect type of a stretch to blame the recently installed hawk signal on Rt-3 for the Main St, post office pedestrian crossing, pedestrian death, where a 72-year old woman was struck by a young driver that occurred in June?

With the Route-3 slow & go, mostly slow, now happening, some drivers get very frustrated with all the waiting, so when they finally see that open road, some want to put the pedal down to the metal, and just hit it, to get on outta there?

Is this just idle Winni forum conjecture, or did the newly installed hawk signal somehow play a psychological cause and effect role with the extremely unfortunate pedestrian death that occurred on the alternate Main St route used to avoid the traffic jam?

One has to wonder? So, the hawk goes operational in June, and a pedestrian death which basically never happens here, also occurs in June ..... is that a coincidence or a cause?
Old 08-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #106
TheProfessor

Few know, comprehend, understand . . .

that there is another way around Meredith.

No need for all of these traffic jams.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #107
fatlazyless

Meredith Scenic Detour

For an extremely scenic and lovely back roads route around the traffic clogged hawk signal in Meredith:

On Rt-104 eastbound, take a left onto Winona Rd at the big stop lights intersection of Winona Rd-Pease Rd/Rt-104, proceed for about two miles to ..... go right onto Waukewan Rd at the Old Print Barn, slowly drive around Lake Waukewan and up the steep Waukewan Golf Course ..... arriving at Rt-25 in Center Harbor ..... and proceed 100-yards south and across Rt-25 to College Rd for two miles and right onto Rt-25B for three miles to Center Harbor-Rt-25 .... totally avoiding the Meredith hawk.

Some beautiful scenic back roads ..... driving that golden road .... not stuck at the Meredith hawk ....... driving around back the old NH with a beautiful Lake Waukewan.

... too bad all the cows have left the scene. Is easy to imagine from not too long ago, all the 'country air' and all those black & white spotted cows that used to graze the steep, hilly pasture fields, along this here drive. Cows may come, and cows may go, but that town docks hawk traffic will be there, forever!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-18-2019 at 05:13 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #108
DickR

I've timed that alternate route in the reverse direction, 25B out of Center Harbor to 3/25 to Waukewan Rd to Winona Rd to rte 104. It's about five minutes longer than when there is little/no traffic at the Meredith lights. So, take your best guess as to how much time traffic at the lights will cost you and decide accordingly.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #109
camp guy

Default Meredith traffic

There is no question the traffic in Meredith is confusing, but, if you drive around the Lake you will find several different sets of circumstances with respect to vehicles and pedestrians - different crosswalk designs, different lighting patterns, the total absence of either. So, it is no wonder drivers and pedestrians are confused, and, ad to the mix that many of the drivers are from "somewhere else" and are used to whatever may be their style of crosswalk or lighting pattern. Just remember this, the time of year is fast approaching when you can park sideways any where you want and not get in trouble, and the pedestrians and drivers (mostly) have gone back to "somewhere else".
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #110
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
There is no question the traffic in Meredith is confusing, but, if you drive around the Lake you will find several different sets of circumstances with respect to vehicles and pedestrians - different crosswalk designs, different lighting patterns, the total absence of either. So, it is no wonder drivers and pedestrians are confused, and, ad to the mix that many of the drivers are from "somewhere else" and are used to whatever may be their style of crosswalk or lighting pattern. Just remember this, the time of year is fast approaching when you can park sideways any where you want and not get in trouble, and the pedestrians and drivers (mostly) have gone back to "somewhere else".
So true

Old 08-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #111
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
For an extremely scenic and lovely back roads route around the traffic clogged hawk signal in Meredith:

On Rt-104 eastbound, take a left onto Winona Rd at the big stop lights intersection of Winona Rd-Pease Rd/Rt-104, proceed for about two miles to ..... go right onto Waukewan Rd at the Old Print Barn, slowly drive around Lake Waukewan and up the steep Waukewan Golf Course ..... arriving at Rt-25 in Center Harbor ..... and proceed 100-yards south and across Rt-25 to College Rd for two miles and right onto RT-25B for three miles to Center Harbor-Rt-25 .... totally avoiding the Meredith hawk.

Some beautiful scenic back roads ..... driving that golden road .... not stuck at the Meredith hawk ....... driving around back the old NH with a beautiful Lake Waukewan.
You are foolish if you do this!!! The trailers/trucks hauling to the dump, and the golfers who are late for their tee-times, do not care about you. They know what you are trying accomplish, but their agendas are at risk! Tail-gating, speeding and cutting people off only feed their desires to be on time! The early dump visitors don't want to be late for their tee-times - the early golfers don't want to miss the afternoon T.V. final round of their favorite tournament!

Beware of FLL's advice- he only plays tennis!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Wifi-1 (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #112
Newbiesaukee

Quote:

On Rt-104 eastbound, take a left onto Winona Rd at the big stop lights intersection of Winona Rd-Pease Rd/Rt-104, proceed for about two miles to ..... go right onto Waukewan Rd at the Old Print Barn, slowly drive around Lake Waukewan and up the steep Waukewan Golf Course ..... arriving at Rt-25 in Center Harbor ..... and proceed 100-yards south and across Rt-25 to College Rd for two miles and right onto RT-25B for three miles to Center Harbor-Rt-25 .... totally avoiding the Meredith hawk.

I have used this route and the reverse for 16 years during the summer season and have never had a problem with it.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #113
Downeast

Thru traffic on Main in Meredith needs to SLOW DOWN, specifically in vicinity of the USPS.

The freight trains running through these congested areas need to chill out and drift through until passages are clear and wider.

As far as the crosswalk issues on 3, this will most likely take time for re-eval and adjustments, however the formentioned needs speed control attention yesterday.
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:05 AM   #114
Wifi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeast View Post
Thru traffic on Main in Meredith needs to SLOW DOWN, specifically in vicinity of the USPS.

The freight trains running through these congested areas need to chill out and drift through until passages are clear and wider.

As far as the crosswalk issues on 3, this will most likely take time for re-eval and adjustments, however the formentioned needs speed control attention yesterday.
Yep, people trying to beat out the HAWK. Time for the famous Meredith radar traps
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:13 AM   #115
garysanfran

Default Right turn on red.....

When I moved to California in the '70's, you could make a right turn on a red light. I had never seen this before. CA was the only state allowing this then, I think.

I brought the idea "home" (New Hampshire & Massachusetts) and people were extraordinarily critical of such a thing. They envisioned all sorts of calamity. A red light meant "STOP". Don't complicate things.

When I drove cross-country in April, I made right turns at red lights in every state I went through and never thought twice as to whether it was legal or not. It appears to be generally accepted and allowed now everywhere, I assume.

Not sure how this pertains to the subject of the thread...I guess, although I think evolution is a slow "change" process, getting accustomed to those "hawk" signals is not going to take hold nationwide...Maybe not even locally. Sometimes bad ideas die right where they were born.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #116
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
When I moved to California in the '70's, you could make a right turn on a red light. I had never seen this before. CA was the only state allowing this then, I think.

I brought the idea "home" (New Hampshire & Massachusetts) and people were extraordinarily critical of such a thing. They envisioned all sorts of calamity. A red light meant "STOP". Don't complicate things.

When I drove cross-country in April, I made right turns at red lights in every state I went through and never thought twice as to whether it was legal or not. It appears to be generally accepted and allowed now everywhere, I assume.

Not sure how this pertains to the subject of the thread...I guess, although I think evolution is a slow "change" process, getting accustomed to those "hawk" signals is not going to take hold nationwide...Maybe not even locally. Sometimes bad ideas die right where they were born.
Right turn on Red is allowed in all 50 States. I believe Massachusetts was the last state to allow this back sometime in the 1980's.

Additionally (and unknown to most Mass drivers) you can take a left turn on a red light when you have two intersecting one way streets.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:02 AM   #117
tummyman

Default Laconia Daily Sun

I had written and asked the Meredith News and Laconia Daily Sun to do an article on the lights issues. I also wrote to all the members of the BOS and asked readers of the blog to do the same.

In today's (8/30) LDS, there is an excellent article on the situation. Everyone should read it.....

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...6e34ab2c0.html
Old 08-30-2019, 06:59 AM   #118
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
I had written and asked the Meredith News and Laconia Daily Sun to do an article on the lights issues. I also wrote to all the members of the BOS and asked readers of the blog to do the same.

In today's (8/30) LDS, there is an excellent article on the situation. Everyone should read it.....

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...6e34ab2c0.html
Informative article but I do not see a resolution just more observation. I just do not understand it’s so easy to fix. Change the signal to a traditional green yellow and red and you’ll be done.

joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #119
garysanfran

Default I'm pleased they are taking this seriously...

Starting with "observation" and then requesting more info on Fed. issues for requirements seems to be a good start. Solution seems to be steering toward green, yellow, red.

I love "small town" activism. Gets stuff done. In San Francisco, my home base, getting someone to respond to anything is almost impossible. A neighbor recently had her car broken into. Called SFPD. Three days later the SFPD showed up to "take a report".
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #120
hilltopper

Wiki has a pretty decent write-up on the HAWK Traffic Signal. This is the statement in the beginning that I don't fully understand but it may help explain the lack of a solution (IF a solution, other than patience, is actually needed):

Where standard traffic signal 'warrants' prevent the installation of standard three-color traffic signals, the HAWK beacon provides an alternative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAWK_beacon
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #121
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Informative article but I do not see a resolution just more observation. I just do not understand it’s so easy to fix. Change the signal to a traditional green yellow and red and you’ll be done.

Your solution is too easy. It has to be studied 1000 times first before changes can be made.
Personally I think they should have built a bridge and it would have solved multiple problems, no traffic stop and no oversized trucks. They could have even built a platform at the top for a great view of the bay.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
pondguy (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #122
TheProfessor

BYPASS.

Most/many/all are missing the solution.

A bypass around the lights in Meredith. To take/remove all of the through traffic.

Go from 104 to at least the top of the hill past the high school/schools.

Will not, of course, solve any pedestrian lights issues. But will provide much less traffic.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #123
hilltopper

Default It's that easy, huh?

Biggd … Big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!.
TheProfessor … Wetlands and big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #124
fatlazyless

Posting a directional sign that says Meredith Scenic Detour with a directional arrow at the intersection of Winona Rd and Rt 104 to point the way would be a help. Add a few more similar signs along the detour and it would be good to go!

Signs, signs, everywhere a sign, we need some Meredith Scenic Detour arrow signs to point the way.

Ha ha ha .... will never happen ..... if anything, Winona Rd will be made a one way road, going the wrong way, to keep any detour traffic ..... away. Maybe a Winona Rd toll gate so's traffic can pay a toll to take the Meredith Scenic Detour!
Old 08-30-2019, 09:31 AM   #125
tbonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
BYPASS.

Most/many/all are missing the solution.

A bypass around the lights in Meredith. To take/remove all of the through traffic.

Go from 104 to at least the top of the hill past the high school/schools.

Will not, of course, solve any pedestrian lights issues. But will provide much less traffic.
This makes sense. But they should require a $5 toll for using the bypass for any car with an out of state tag coming from Moultonborough, since they complain about everything. Just call it a Whiner Tax.

tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #126
tummyman

And watch out for that right hand turning lane at LAGO heading to Rt25. It is a RED STOPLIGHT.....not a "right turn on red" intersection. They need to post a sign that says "no turns on red". If you make the turn now on a red, you risk a ticket. Beware.....
Old 08-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #127
jbolty

Here's the problem the way I see it. Everyone; tourists, locals or delivery trucks who are coming or going to Moultonboro, Ossipee, North Conway or anywhere in between and need to reach I93 have to go through the lights in Meredith so there is a constant stream of traffic. Add to that people who have never been here before, maybe towing a boat, on vacation and driving slow anyway and it all piles up.

Next, we are all conditioned to be aware of pedestrians and all over the place there are those yellow signs in the middle of the street saying to yield to pedestrians or else and people walking expect the right of way and the law is on their side.

If people were like robots maybe the hawk signal would work but because of the built in awareness of the law and general yankee manners people tend to stop as soon as someone gets close to the edge of the road; that is not going to change. Meantime the peds might not cross despite being waved at because the traffic going the other way isn't stopping. Finally they run across and are half way to getting an ice cream cone at dockside when the crossing light goes red for nothing. Meanwhile traffic is backed up to Moulton's Farm.

The various solutions, in no order:
  • Full stop light at the current crossing location. I can still see cars waving people across even under a green though.
  • Full stop light further up at Lake street. Same problems but at least cars could turn left out of Lake St as well as be able to make a left into the dockside parking.
  • Move the road closer to the lake and the parking lot to the other side which might reduce the amount of people crossing the street.
  • Synch the hawk light so it only allows crossing when the left at 25 is red.
  • Pedestrian bridge or tunnel.

I have been beating the drum for a bridge for years and still think it's really the only option that would make a difference. I could envision a big wood timber structure like a covered bridge that could also have a place to sit and watch the lake; decorative and functional.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #128
Lakemamma

Default Police Officer

So today driving by they had a police officer waiting on one side and when people would stop to let people cross he would wave traffic to keep going. He kept watching for the lights to go on then he would go out in the road and and have people stop.
Lakemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #129
Wifi-1

Problem with a bridge or tunnel is how to make it ADA compliant ?
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #130
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi-1 View Post
Problem with a bridge or tunnel is how to make it ADA compliant ?
Have to have an elevator for ADA or a really long ramp. Of course the bridge could be closed or optional for off season.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #131
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Have to have an elevator for ADA or a really long ramp. Of course the bridge could be closed or optional for off season.
An ADA Compliant bridge although aesthetically pleasing would cost a fortune. Try a normal light first, easy inexpensive and hopefully it will work you can additionally add signage to stop only on a red signal
Old 08-30-2019, 04:41 PM   #132
The Real BigGuy

Why not move the crossing down to the corner and use the existing lights? Fence off the roadside if you have to.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:43 PM   #133
fatlazyless

Default ..... the MEREDITH BRIDGE

An all wood, timber style bridge with a steep staircase on both sides for crossing Rt-3, there, is an excellent suggestion. Build a five foot high, steel security fence along the docks area so climbing the steep stairs, up and down the bridge, will truly be the only way to cross the road.

People will be better off climbing a pedestrian bridge with steep stairs ....... 3/4 of everybody will benefit from the extra exercise ...... build it steep .... with a covered wood bridge up top to keep the rain and snow out.

An elevated, traditional covered timber bridge will bring a lot of public attention to Meredith. Build it and tourists will come here, just to walk the Meredith covered bridge. How's about naming it ........ ta-da ..... drum roll here ...... the MEREDITH BRIDGE .... a major improvement over the Meredith hawk signal.

If there's no funding to build an elevated covered bridge ....... then get it done on the cheap ...... with an Indiana Jones style ..... rope and wood slats style bridge accessed by 20' high ladders, on both sides ...... what a bridge!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-30-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #134
WinnisquamZ

Where are all these people going? There is not much there

Old 08-30-2019, 09:22 PM   #135
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Where are all these people going? There is not much there

?? Downtown Meredith? I think this is sarcastic but anyway.... shops, docks, hotels, restaurants, and obviously a big thruway to get to Center Harbor, Moultonborough and other points east
Old 08-30-2019, 09:31 PM   #136
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Biggd … Big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!.
TheProfessor … Wetlands and big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!.
The authorities are exempt from all of that.

The/A bypass is the only real long term solution.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:52 PM   #137
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
The authorities are exempt from all of that.

The/A bypass is the only real long term solution.
I disagree I think this is complicating simplicity.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:45 AM   #138
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

LOL it is rather comical in that the town wants to attract people and tourists but has no clue how to handle them when they come. What was done on Rt3\25 was nothing other than rearranging the chess pieces on the same board which did nothing to IMHO improve traffic flow, in fact, it basically was all cosmetic except for those dumb HAWK signals that made the situation worse.

Thank goodness for 8 months out of the year it's not a big deal to get through town. After this weekend should be a breeze again till Memorial Day next year.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:48 PM   #139
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post

This is an interesting article....

The Town of Meredith used Federal Money to do this project, so they have to follow the federal guidelines and rules.

Simple solution would be for the Town to reimburse the Federal Government and then the Town could alter the signal set up as it sees fit according to NH State Guidelines.

Of course all this is easier said than done......
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #140
fatlazyless

Default ...... a tunnel?

About 20-minutes north of Meredith, the Holderness School has a pedestrian tunnel, constructed under Route 175 in 2011, so their students and staff can walk from the new dorms and eight outdoor tennis courts to the classroom buildings without having to cross the lightly trafficked road. Have seen riders on bicycles and skate boards using the tunnel, there.

http://www.andrewsconst.com/project/...strian-tunnel/

Maybe a tunnel is a doable improvement for the Meredith traffic hawk signal, pedestrian crossing? Probably, all tunnels have water leaks, so it would need a sump pump or something, to keep it dry.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-01-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:30 PM   #141
Hillcountry

Quote:
About 20-minutes north of Meredith, the Holderness School had a pedestrian tunnel constructed under Route 175 in 2011 so their students and staff could walk from the new dorms and eight outdoor tennis courts to the classroom buildings without having to cross the lightly trafficked road. Have seen riders on bicycles and skate boards using the tunnel, there.

http://www.andrewsconst.com/project/...strian-tunnel/

Maybe a tunnel is a doable improvement for the Meredith traffic hawk signal?
FLL There’s already a tunnel up the street a ways...strap on your noodle and have at it! Don’t slip on the goose pucky!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #142
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
This is an interesting article....

The Town of Meredith used Federal Money to do this project, so they have to follow the federal guidelines and rules.

Simple solution would be for the Town to reimburse the Federal Government and then the Town could alter the signal set up as it sees fit according to NH State Guidelines.

Of course all this is easier said than done......
According to one of the selectmen I talked to state money was used,not federal.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote