Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #201
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Yes by all means. Let's bring NY to NH. Didn't we have a discussion about this?
Do you have any experience boating in NY?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #202
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Yes by all means. Let's bring NY to NH. Didn't we have a discussion about this?
Really?, I think your taking this to an extreme.

This is the issue, everyone equates NY to NYC which is not the case at all and just like any state they do some things well and other things not so well.

In this situation DaveR and I are just suggesting the NY has a better handle on how to get the most out of their town dock facilities for themselves and the local businesses and I has worked very well for many years.

NOTE: Non of their town docks are within the border of NYC or its 5 boroughs they are on the lakes and rivers upstate and at state and federal parks on Long Island.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Pricestavern (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #203
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post

Meredith and Wolfeboro could be raking in big bucks all the time. Alton, Center Harbor and Weirs Beach could fill their docks with overnight boaters that pay a reasonable transient fee and spend a lot of money at local businesses. Imagine the bar bills people would rack up if they did not have to pilot their boat back to their dock in the dark. Additionally, imagine the breakfast joint revenues the next day... I think we can all agree that areas that have a few thriving restaurants typically also have thriving retail and hospitality establishments. People want to go where other people go.
Dave - I also agree with 99% of your post -- however note that spending the night at a town dock I believe falls under the State Regulations ?????
Old 06-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #204
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Dave - I also agree with 99% of your post -- however note that spending the night at a town dock I believe falls under the State Regulations ?????
I don't think so, the state only prohibits overnight anchoring on inland waters. Docks basically the only place you can overnight legally. The dock owner determines the allowable uses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Phantom (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #205
FlyingScot

Quote:
Yup, most towns in NY have a great plan for public dock use and it's a fantastic state for recreational boating because of it. The popular towns charge for a stay and the less popular towns don't charge and often have incentives (free shore-power, bathrooms/showers, laundry facilities, shuttle buses etc.) to encourage people to stop and tie up (and spend money locally). It's simple supply and demand and based on extensive cruising there, I can say it works quite well. The warm and welcoming atmosphere I have experienced in NY waterfront towns is exactly opposite of what I experience here in NH. We could do so much better...

Meredith and Wolfeboro could be raking in big bucks all the time. Alton, Center Harbor and Weirs Beach could fill their docks with overnight boaters that pay a reasonable transient fee and spend a lot of money at local businesses. Imagine the bar bills people would rack up if they did not have to pilot their boat back to their dock in the dark. Additionally, imagine the breakfast joint revenues the next day... I think we can all agree that areas that have a few thriving restaurants typically also have thriving retail and hospitality establishments. People want to go where other people go.

One other thing that could really help with crowded town docks is to allow rafting where there's space for it. That's pretty normal outside NH too... It's crazy that with all the space between docks in Meredith that they don't allow rafting there; it's ideal for it. A Dockmaster could even offer discounts to incentivize people to allow rafting to their boat.
Reads like plan to make the docks a miserable, unavailable place for local residents. Thanks goodness our policy makers know that maximizing dock and breakfast(!) revenues is NOT our ultimate goal
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
TCC (07-13-2019), tis (06-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #206
fatlazyless

.......golleeeeeee....... a couple years back, I actually found a ten dollar bill float'n in the water about four feet off the town dock, there ..... with all these big money boats dock'n up to go hit the local restaurants ...... am look'n to find a HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL float'n ..... sink'n ..... in the water there....yahhooooooo!
Old 06-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #207
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Reads like plan to make the docks a miserable, unavailable place for local residents. Thanks goodness our policy makers know that maximizing dock and breakfast(!) revenues is NOT our ultimate goal
So if public docks in Wolfeboro, Center Harbor, Alton Bay, Weirs Beach, and Meredith weren't installed to attract customers in boats to local businesses, why were they installed?
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #208
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
.......golleeeeeee....... a couple years back, I actually found a ten dollar bill float'n in the water about four feet off the town dock, there ..... with all these big money boats dock'n up to go hit the local restaurants ...... am look'n to find a HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL float'n ..... sink'n ..... in the water there....yahhooooooo!
That was mine, I want it back!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #209
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
YES.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #210
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

A buddy of mine that has his 59' boat docked in Mystic Conn. told me that when he leaves his rented dock space he has to let the dock master know when he's going to return because they rent it out while he's gone.

If he comes back early and his space is occupied and they don't have some place for him to tie up he's out of luck. He has to stay a sea until a space opens up.

It's ridiculous that they can rent out his space while he's gone and he gets nothing out of it. What a sham!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #211
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
A buddy of mine that has his 59' boat docked in Mystic Conn. told me that when he leaves his rented dock space he has to let the dock master know when he's going to return because they rent it out while he's gone.

If he comes back early and his space is occupied and they don't have some place for him to tie up he's out of luck. He has to stay a sea until a space opens up.

It's ridiculous that they can rent out his space while he's gone and he gets nothing out of it. What a sham!
That's normal and part of the contract at most marinas. It's how transient slips become available.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #212
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Big -- I think it probably cuts BOTH ways ….. It clearly had to be a condition of Rental ( that he is aware of) but probably also positively impacts his Slip Rental cost...……….. that would be "what he get's out of it.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #213
FlyingScot

Quote:
So if public docks in Wolfeboro, Center Harbor, Alton Bay, Weirs Beach, and Meredith weren't installed to attract customers in boats to local businesses, why were they installed?
Nothing wrong with public docks and nothing wrong with attracting business. It's the money above all else ethic of your post that is wrong.

We don't want our docks to be be campgrounds or RV parks, we want them to be docks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-23-2019), thinkxingu (06-28-2019), tis (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #214
Dave R

Quote:
Nothing wrong with public docks and nothing wrong with attracting business. It's the money above all else ethic of your post that is wrong.

We don't want our docks to be be campgrounds or RV parks, we want them to be docks.
I never advocated for RVs or camping at the docks, just boats.

Anway, I'll be on my boat this weekend, likely making an overnight stay at a dock away from my home slip and exploring a lovely waterfront town with a welcoming atmosphere. I'm sure it will be just awful. Enjoy your day trips!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (06-27-2019), SPT13 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #215
Phantom

Quote:
Anyway, I'll be on my boat this weekend, likely making an overnight stay at a dock away from my home slip and exploring a lovely waterfront town with a welcoming atmosphere. I'm sure it will be just awful. Enjoy your day trips!
Now that's what the manufacturers had in mind when they developed all those "Cruisers" (big & small) …………. to be used to TRAVEL in -
Old 06-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #216
ApS

Arrow Today's Oversized Boats, Unforeseen...

Quote:
So if public docks in Wolfeboro, Center Harbor, Alton Bay, Weirs Beach, and Meredith weren't installed to attract customers in boats to local businesses,
why were they installed?
We know why they were installed, but the planners were not counting on the run-away sizes of today's boats.
thinkxingu (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #217
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Olden days

My family used to stay overnight at Weirs, Wolfeboro, etc. The towns encouraged cabin cruisers, not because we did a lot of spending, but because the larger boats were a tourist attraction.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #218
Cal Coon

Default Ain't that the truth!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
We know why they were installed, but the planners were not counting on the run-away sizes of today's boats.
Back in the 70's when I was a kid, my uncle had a camp on a small lake in the lakes region, and he had a 17' Penn Yan with a 120hp 4cyl mercruiser in it, and at the time it was the fastest boat on the lake!! It's "nickname" was "the Pig" because of all the fuel it used!!! A friend of theirs on the other side of the lake, then bought a 16 or 17' Glastron/Carlson with a 125hp Johnson o/b 2 stroke motor that then became the fastest boat on the lake...!!! "The pig" just couldn't keep up with that 2 stroke!!! My how things have changed...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #219
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The police officer on duty at the Glendale docks does a fine job keeping things running smoothly. They even accept UPS/FedEx. A great model for other towns /public docks.

It's "FREE"! The government pays for it. LOL
From what I’ve been told by one of the two gentleman that works there, they are volunteers. There is a woman who works there to cover the evenings when there are concerts at Meadowbrooks so non-islanders don’t dock at the islanders’ docks.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #220
Hillcountry

I saw as I passed between Eagle and Governor’s the other day that the 54’ yacht is now docked at the owner’s residence! Looks great there and really does not appear to be “too big” for Winni.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #221
Phantom

Seems someone has their docking space at Silver Sands.

Perhaps the plan all aling once they squared away the dock at the house.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #222
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I saw as I passed between Eagle and Governor’s the other day that the 54’ yacht is now docked at the owner’s residence! Looks great there and really does not appear to be “too big” for Winni.
It is 56 Feet
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #223
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
It is 56 Feet
I stand corrected!
Old 07-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #224
Garcia

Quote:
I, too, saw it docked and I just rolled my eyes. That whole scene of a mammoth house and giant boat is not what I am looking for when I come here. Personally, I think both are way too big. The boat especially...

That said, he, and everyone else, is free to spend their money however they like.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-12-2019), pondguy (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #225
brk-lnt

Quote:
It is 56 Feet
It is 52' LWL.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #226
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
It is 52' LWL.
That is not correct. Sorry, it is 56 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJhN8bQNhms
Old 07-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #227
brk-lnt

Quote:
That is not correct. Sorry, it is 56 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJhN8bQNhms
Skimmed through that video, didn't catch where he mentioned LWL, do you have a link to the time where the waterline length was discussed?
Old 07-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #228
TiltonBB

Quote:
Skimmed through that video, didn't catch where he mentioned LWL, do you have a link to the time where the waterline length was discussed?
Length overall [ft] 58’1”
Beam overall [ft] 15’7”
Draft max. [ft] 4’7’’
Mass of Light Craft Condition [lbs] 53462
Engine (-s) power [HP] 2 x 725

Are you really that concerned about LWL? That would mean that almost every one of us is running a boat shorter than we claim it is.

Is there a point that you are trying to make?
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #229
brk-lnt

Quote:
Beam overall [ft] 15’7”
Draft max. [ft] 4’7’’

Are you really that concerned about LWL? That would mean that almost every one of us is running a boat shorter than we claim it is.

I thought we were all just quoting random specs about this boat

Actually, I just found it humorous with people arguing over minor details about the boat like it's some kind of religious vessel.
Reilly (07-14-2019), VitaBene (07-23-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #230
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Actually, I just found it humorous with people arguing over minor details about the boat like it's some kind of religious vessel.
Noah’s ark??
brk-lnt (07-15-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #231
codeman671

Quote:
Beam overall [ft] 15’7”
Draft max. [ft] 4’7’’

Size does matter, so I hear? Personally I think my waistline is plenty big...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:21 PM   #232
ACME on the Broads

Default Big Boat

Who Cares!
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (07-18-2019), Paugus Bay Resident (07-18-2019), pondguy (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:28 AM   #233
ApS

Angry I Dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank151 View Post
Instead of a speed limit, the state of New Hampshire ought to limit boat lengths permitted to ratio of lake size. This boat should be on the ocean. Apparently the Captain has no -----
Qualms?

Our dock has been in place since 1984. In thirty-five years, no wakes have crashed over the end—until last weekend.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2019, 05:37 AM   #234
TiltonBB

Quote:
Qualms?

Our dock has been in place since 1984. In thirty-five years, no wakes have crashed over the end—until last weekend.
Well, times have changed! You should be grateful that you got 35 years out of a dock. A few years ago I rebuilt one of my docks and made it 10 inches higher in the process so that water and waves would not affect it.

I don't know if you noticed but they now build boats (in a size you might approve of) that make a big wake intentionally just so people can surf on it.

As time marches on and we get a little older we have to adjust to many changes happening around us. Some we will like some we won't.

Do you have a rotary dial cell phone?
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #235
Dave R

Quote:
Qualms?

Looking at that pic makes me think you are lucky to have survived. It looks like upwards of a gallon of water and possibly an ounce or two of pine needles nearly overwhelmed a few spiders on you dock. #tsunami2019 #savethedockspiders
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-18-2019), Reilly (07-19-2019), TiltonBB (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #236
Blyblvrd

Quote:
Looking at that pic makes me think you are lucky to have survived. It looks like upwards of a gallon of water and possibly an ounce or two of pine needles nearly overwhelmed a few spiders on you dock. #tsunami2019 #savethedockspiders

lets not forget about the water damage, these things were not built to get wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blyblvrd For This Useful Post:
Dave R (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #237
znh

Quote:
more like #****thedockspiders

I had an epic battle with one on my jetski last weekend, he did not want to get out...I had to make a weapon and duel him to the death...or at least until he jumped in the water until he is seen again...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #238
Cal Coon

Quote:
Qualms?

Could be climate change... Maybe the lake levels are rising along with the ocean levels???
Old 07-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #239
Wifi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Could be climate change... Maybe the lake levels are rising along with the ocean levels???
Where is AlGore when you need him ?
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #240
eillac@dow

Quote:
Qualms?

I keep saying bite your tongue..keep quiet...don’t respond...

But seriously?
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:40 AM   #241
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
I keep saying bite your tongue..keep quiet...don’t respond...

But seriously?
Yeah, apparently it must of been a sloooooooow day for the "things to complain about" dept...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (07-23-2019), Skip (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 05:33 AM   #242
ApS

Question 1984—The Title of a Book?

Quote:
This dock, built in a protected cove of Lake Winnipesaukee, has seen many recent soakings, but always near the shoreline, where the size of breaking wakes rapidly increase.

If I'd built on the Broads, I'd have longer pilings put underneath—and a breakwater—which is not permitted here on a deep and a "protected" shoreline. Since 1984, moorings and boatlifts have sprung up in Winter Harbor like mushrooms in July, so the problem of oversized boats isn't being overlooked.

Ocean-racers and "liveaboard" cruisers aren't so much of a problem on oceans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyblvrd View Post
lets not forget about the water damage, these things were not built to get wet.
Good point! Most here hadn't thought to look beyond the obvious.

In 1984, the builders didn't think to use PT for the 6"x8" cross-members, so I've had to replace three of them myself—most recently last summer.

As it happened, a 6"x8" cross-member floated-by last spring. Although twice as long as needed, I snagged it, and chain-sawed it to fit.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2019, 05:38 AM   #243
joey2665

Wow this thread went way....... off topic.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Phantom (07-19-2019), Skip (07-19-2019), Top-Water (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #244
Skip

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Wow this thread went way....... off topic.

Well gee, with the help of the labeled pictorial we all now better versed in what a chain, cross-member and piling are!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #245
chasedawg

Default Big boat on lake

Quote:
This dock, built in a protected cove of Lake Winnipesaukee, has seen many recent soakings, but always near the shoreline, where the size of breaking wakes rapidly increase.

If I'd built on the Broads, I'd have longer pilings put underneath—and a breakwater—which is not permitted here on a deep and a "protected" shoreline. Since 1984, moorings and boatlifts have sprung up in Winter Harbor like mushrooms in July, so the problem of oversized boats isn't being overlooked.

Ocean-racers and "liveaboard" cruisers aren't so much of a problem on oceans.

Good point! Most here hadn't thought to look beyond the obvious.

In 1984, the builders didn't think to use PT for the 6"x8" cross-members, so I've had to replace three of them myself—most recently last summer.

As it happened, a 6"x8" cross-member floated-by last spring. Although twice as long as needed, I snagged it, and chain-sawed it to fit.
Wow...please stop posting comments that have correlation to the subject from OP. Big boat on lake...
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #246
chasedawg

Default Web master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Wow...please stop posting comments that have correlation to the subject from OP. Big boat on lake...
These comments from afar that don't contribute to any value from the OP What do you suggest to correct this problem? I come on the forum to understand what current OP are trying to information or help and learn. But really to have so many posts that are just totally off the wall like this recent one just does add any value. It is not what I am looking for from the Winni forum that I used to know and learn from many excellent posters
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #247
Top-Water

Quote:
This is kind of a teaser but it is all that can be said for now!

There is a new big privately owned boat coming to the lake. It is a little bigger, by a few feet, than the last big privately owned boat that was on the lake.

It is on the way now and will be in the water within the next 4 weeks. It is impressive!

That is all! Stay tuned!
Thank you

Awesome. Been looking forward to a big boat topic for ages. I hope we get some cross member, chain, and piling images too.

Way off topic now.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-22-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #248
Cobalt 25

I've gone by the boat several times and the boat/dock/house all seem in reasonable proportion. No big deal, IMO.

But it could be that the owner will need to take out his/her chain saw, cut all the pilings to the "roof" of the boat "house", and raise the "roof' by about 8 or 10 feet or so. That will enable said boat to fit in the boat "house".

I'm pretty good with a chain saw so I would be willing to help out. And, just to stay on topic, I enjoyed eating RingDings as a kid. How about you?
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #249
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
I've gone by the boat several times and the boat/dock/house all seem in reasonable proportion. No big deal, IMO.

But it could be that the owner will need to take out his/her chain saw, cut all the pilings to the "roof" of the boat "house", and raise the "roof' by about 8 or 10 feet or so. That will enable said boat to fit in the boat "house".

I'm pretty good with a chain saw so I would be willing to help out. And, just to stay on topic, I enjoyed eating RingDings as a kid. How about you?
Oh baby...Ring Dings were the best!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #250
joey2665

Quote:
Oh baby...Ring Dings were the best!
Frozen Ring Dings.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #251
8gv

Devil Dogs!
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #252
thinkxingu

Perfect for those who like the texture of chalk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Devil Dogs!
Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #253
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
Ring Dings and Devil Dogs are never "off topic"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (07-23-2019), pondguy (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #254
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Perfect for those who like the texture of chalk.

I was going to say the same...never ate a devil dog I didn’t choke on!
God awful things...
Old 07-23-2019, 12:03 PM   #255
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Qualms?

I find this impossible to believe. My dock is normally high and dry too.... but when the water is high I get wake wash... Now what do I consider high... 504.32 feet is high water, and I will get a wake everynow and again that will crash through the dock.... like your picture shows.... Now my dock isn't in trouble until 505 ft. when teh deck boards are covered....
Old 07-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #256
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Frozen Milky Way w/Nesbitts orange!

I wished I'd had a relative for a dentist!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #257
Cal Coon

Suzy Q's for me!!! I never thought I would see the day that "Hostess" couldn't make it in a country of obese people!! Who knew...??? But to stay on topic, maybe that's another reason why all these otherwise "dry" docks are getting wet these days! More than ever before, obese people in bigger boats making bigger wakes...
Old 07-23-2019, 06:03 PM   #258
thinkxingu

Quote:
Suzy Q's for me!!!
On this, we can agree.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #259
dickiej

Funny bones
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #260
bman60

Ideal cookies.

bman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #261
dippasan

Hostess Big Wheels
Old 07-31-2019, 05:20 AM   #262
ApS

Arrow Oversized Boats Bring Trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I find this impossible to believe. My dock is normally high and dry too.... but when the water is high I get wake wash... Now what do I consider high... 504.32 feet is high water, and I will get a wake everynow and again that will crash through the dock.... like your picture shows.... Now my dock isn't in trouble until 505 ft. when the deck boards are covered....
Our dock hasn't been "covered"—ever! Even the strongest of storm winds don't break over this dock. Wish I knew the builder—he knew what he was doing. He also built my neighbor's dock, but it was removed when it couldn't meet permitting when the one-acre property was sold. The acre was split to build two maxed-out house permits—plus a "shared" septic system.

Yes, the lake is unseasonably high. Last weekend, the lake's biggest boats crashed their wakes into the shoreline to pull winter's (normal) muddy footprint into the lake. Lake water came out of the tap darker than I've ever seen it.

It's cleared now, but the invisible "nutrients" of the lake's many lakeside lawns were also "flushed" from the shoreline. As all should know by now, lawn nutrients—namely, Phosphorus and Nitrogen—encourage the growth of algae and exotic milfoil.

Oversized boats may make life gentler for an aging population of boaters, but who would support any oversized mono-hulls—which are speeding Lake Winnipesaukee to an eutrophic end.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 06:59 AM   #263
Cal Coon

Quote:
Our dock hasn't been "covered"—ever! Even the strongest of storm winds don't break over this dock. Wish I knew the builder—he knew what he was doing. He also built my neighbor's dock, but it was removed when it couldn't meet permitting when the one-acre property was sold. The acre was split to build two maxed-out house permits—plus a "shared" septic system.

Yes, the lake is unseasonably high. Last weekend, the lake's biggest boats crashed their wakes into the shoreline to pull winter's (normal) muddy footprint into the lake. Lake water came out of the tap darker than I've ever seen it.

It's cleared now, but the invisible "nutrients" of the lake's many lakeside lawns were also "flushed" from the shoreline. As all should know by now, lawn nutrients—namely, Phosphorus and Nitrogen—encourage the growth of algae and exotic milfoil.

Oversized boats may make life gentler for an aging population of boaters, but who would support any oversized mono-hulls—which are speeding Lake Winnipesaukee to an eutrophic end.
So maybe ALL the "lakeside lawns" should be banned. Get rid of them before they turn the lake into a swamp!! It doesn't matter anyways, according to some, who shall remain nameless for the sake of going off topic, say that the world as we know it is coming to an end in 12 years anyways!! So we might as well "live it up" while we can...

Last edited by Cal Coon; 07-31-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:54 PM   #264
FlyingScot

Quote:
So maybe ALL the "lakeside lawns" should be banned. Get rid of them before they turn the lake into a swamp!! It doesn't matter anyways, according to some, who shall remain nameless for the sake of going off topic, say that the world as we know it is coming to an end in 12 years anyways!! So we might as well "live it up" while we can...
You are correct. Lakeside lawns with no buffer shed a lot of phosphorous and nitrogen into the lake. These things darken the water, promote milfoil and cyanobacteria growth, and over time lead to a much less pleasant lake, even a swamp, as you point out. Mirror Lake, right next door has a had a terrible time, and many parts of Winni are suffering already from too much phosphorous even now (we don't have to wait 12 years).

Also, even if you have a good natural buffer between your (hopefully modest) lawn and the water, it's also best to use fertilizer with no phosphorous. Look at the three numbers on the package, the middle one should be zero.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #265
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

It is the law to use that fertilizer on lawns on the lake and has been for quite some time.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:31 PM   #266
Descant

Default Legal = Smart?

Quote:
It is the law to use that fertilizer on lawns on the lake and has been for quite some time.
What is legal is not always best practice. The Shoreland Water Quality Protection Act is fairly specific about best practices within the waterfront buffer (first 50 feet). Lawn and related fertilizers are not the first choice.
https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/...ments/sp-5.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (07-31-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #267
ApS

Thumbs down Our "Slumping" is Observable, Due to Uphill Pressures...

An excellent study from Michigan:

http://www.mishorelinepartnership.or...shoreline.html

Each "insult" to a lake's life can be seen within a quarter-mile from our Winter Harbor location. From "Slumping", "Rilling", "Gullying", "Seawalls", to "Soil Creep"

Quote:
•Level control structures – May raise lake levels to an unnatural point on the shoreline where soils are less able to withstand wave and ice action.
•Clear-cutting natural vegetation – The removal of vegetation by landowners to maximize the amount of visibility and access to the water. In addition to destroying wildlife habitat, the clear-cutting of natural vegetation also eliminates the erosion-preventing root structures once provided by native plants, trees and shrubs.
•Stormwater runoff – Created by areas with impervious surfaces, such as driveways, parking areas and roofs. Impervious surfaces around lakes collect and deliver precipitation over land instead of allowing it to infiltrate into the soil.
"Soil Creep":

Quote:
I'd like to see a new law requiring the planting of blueberry bushes.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #268
Descant

Default No law

Quote:
...I'd like to see a new law requiring the planting of blueberry bushes...
I don't get excited about more laws, but incentives and free stuff work. Most conservation commissions give out evergreen seelings that they get from the state nursery in Boscawen. Why not roll that over to Blueberries, wintergreen, etc. and related shrub type ground cover? Tough to get rid of all lawns, but, especially in a cove or on a small lake, getting rid of some can be beneficial. You can still have lawns of course, but the woody ground cover is beneficial close to shore.