Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Briangie

Default Lakes Region Golf Courses

My family will be spending this summer in Alton, and not being a boater, I plan on spending a lot of time at the golf course.

An added bonus is my 16 year old son has asked to go along. Any time I can get my 16 year old to spend time with me, I do it. Never can have too much influence on your kids.

My dilemma is I have never played any of the courses in the Lakes Region. My son is a beginner/C player (he takes lessons, so he can play, but is still inconsistent) and I have been playing for over 30 years, 18 or so handicap.

Are there any favorites out there? Any place to stay away from? Anywhere worth a drive to?

Any recommendations are appreciated.
Briangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hello and Welcome...

I live in Alton Bay and am a golfer.

We are members at Lochmere Golf Club in Tilton, right on rte 3 about a mile and a half to two miles east of I93 exit 20. Wonderful 18 hole course, but perhaps not the course to bring out an inexperienced golfer on.

Pheasant Ridge in Gilford is a nice 18 course, and is quite friendly to the inexperienced golfers. It is about 20 minutes or so from Alton Bay.

Farmington Country club in Farmington is a nice 9 hole course, and of the three mentioned this far, is a very walkable course. We have been members there in the past and I can recommend it. It is about 20 minutes from Alton Bay.

In Wolfeboro is Kingswood Country club. This also an 18 hole course, and is rather friendly overall to an inexperienced golfer.

The middle two courses are probably the best two courses for the inexperienced golfer. Enjoy your stay up here, and enjoy the golf. If you see a red and white Mariah bowrider with Upthesaukee Too on the side, in and around Alton Bay, give a wave...we'll wave back at you.
Briangie (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Bernie Girl

When our boys were in their early teens we use to bring them to Oak Hill in Meredith - it's a 9 hole course and reasonably priced. We haven't been there in about 15 years so Im not sure what its like now. We also like to go to Ridgewood Country Club in Moultonboro, perhaps not the best place for a beginner but it's a great course. We seem to mostly go to Kingswood now and I think your 16 year old would do fine there.

If you're up for mini-golf we love taking the boat to Alton Bay and playing at the course right there - lots of fun, lots of laughs plus it seems a win a free game every time I go.... They pack alot of mini golf in a small space. Enjoy your golf & your time on the lake!!! We are psyched to open up this weekend!
Bernie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernie Girl For This Useful Post:
Briangie (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
secondcurve

Default Kingswood

I'd have to agree with the previous posters that Kingswood is one of the better choices for you. It is close to Alton, forgiving and reasonably priced. Have fun.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Briangie

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

We are looking forward to the summer!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
surfnsnow

pheasant ridge is a good choice. forgiving layout and reasonably priced. second choice would be kingswood but they can be difficult to get a weekend tee time. love lochmere but a novice will need a lot of golf balls.
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surfnsnow For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (05-02-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
dragonfly03246

Default Oak Hill

We golf regularly at Oak Hill in Meredith. It's located off Pease Road and it's just a small 9-hole golf course. Perfect for beginners or a quick game.

The greens are all quite nice and the owners, Barbara and Gus are great people!

Right now they are running a special of $14 unlimited golf but usually the price is $14 for 9 holes and another $14 if you want a cart.

http://oakhillgc.com/index.html

Another place you could go is Bolduc Park on Gilford Ave on the Gilford/Laconia line. It's a cute par 3 course that only costs a recommended donation of $8.

http://www.bolducpark.com/course/fees.html

Last edited by dragonfly03246; 05-03-2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spelling
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Shore Driver

Pheasant Ridge is great. Not a difficult layout, great views, always good conditions.

Lochmere is tough. Have never played Loudon but that may be an option from Alton.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Owl's Nest

28 minutes North of Meredith just off interstate 93 in Campton is the "Owls Nest" Golf course. It's a beautiful picturesque course that's always in great shape.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Briangie

Again, thanks for the great response. Just what I was hoping to hear.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #11
ushaggerb

Default Golf

Ridgewood in Moultonborough is a fun course. If your son goes off the white tees, it plays to a 66.5 and 118 slope. Even better, if he'll play off the golds at Ridgewood, plays to a 108.

If you don't already know, checking the scorecard online at any course is a good idea. To start him off gently, try to get on a +/- 115 slope. If you start getting into the 120's, it could turn him off.

Pheasant Ridge is really pretty, also gentle. A bit more woods to deal with. Not sure if someone mentioned Waukewan in Meredith. Fun elevations.

NH courses are arguably some of the best kept secrets.
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote