Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
winnipiseogee

Default Bootleggers

I am a huge fan of online shopping not just because of price but also convenience. Shoes however are one of those things that just need to be tried on so I've always shopped at Bootleggers - they have a great selection and an awesome and helpful staff.

When it comes to the baby's shoes however its really more about price (she grows out of the in a few months!). Imagine my surprise to see that bootleggers is better priced than any of the online retailers out there. I started looking across the board - adult, kid, dress boots etc - Bootleggers had great pricing on everything.

I think its great that a small local independent business can offer great customer service and very competitive pricing! Kudos to Bootleggers!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
I am a huge fan of online shopping not just because of price but also convenience. Shoes however are one of those things that just need to be tried on so I've always shopped at Bootleggers - they have a great selection and an awesome and helpful staff.

When it comes to the baby's shoes however its really more about price (she grows out of the in a few months!). Imagine my surprise to see that bootleggers is better priced than any of the online retailers out there. I started looking across the board - adult, kid, dress boots etc - Bootleggers had great pricing on everything.

I think its great that a small local independent business can offer great customer service and very competitive pricing! Kudos to Bootleggers!
I've also bought several things from Bootleggers in Meredith. Great people at that location. Laconia, well lets just say even the workers at Meredith know that they have a poor attitude when it comes to dealing with customers.
But just like electronic equipment that you go to Best buy and look at then go buy online you can also do the same for shoes.
Just go in find what you want, try them on them go buy them online.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
I've also bought several things from Bootleggers in Meredith. Great people at that location. Laconia, well lets just say even the workers at Meredith know that they have a poor attitude when it comes to dealing with customers.
But just like electronic equipment that you go to Best buy and look at then go buy online you can also do the same for shoes.
Just go in find what you want, try them on them go buy them online.
I recently went to the Laconia store and had a great experience. Laconia didn't have the size boots I wanted. They called Meredith and had a pair set aside. Personally I'd never window shop at a local business with the intent to just buy online.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
I recently went to the Laconia store and had a great experience. Laconia didn't have the size boots I wanted. They called Meredith and had a pair set aside. Personally I'd never window shop at a local business with the intent to just buy online.
Well to each their own but my wife & I have saved hundreds doing just that at places like Best Buy and others shopping for all kinds of different products.
Personally I'd rather have the extra money in my pocket if it can be saved then give it to someone else no matter who the business.
If they want to be competitive and offer price matching great but if not.
I am a firm believer in shop local, but if local costs me a lot more then I have no problem going with the best bag for my buck.

I am glad you had a good experience at Laconia Bootleggers.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
diz

Quote:
Well to each their own but my wife & I have saved hundreds doing just that at places like Best Buy and others shopping for all kinds of different products.
Personally I'd rather have the extra money in my pocket if it can be saved then give it to someone else no matter who the business.
If they want to be competitive and offer price matching great but if not.
I am a firm believer in shop local, but if local costs me a lot more then I have no problem going with the best bag for my buck.

I am glad you had a good experience at Laconia Bootleggers.
I don't think you can compare shopping at Best Buy and then buying online to trying shoes on at Bootleggers and then walking out the door to order somewhere else. Best Buy at least gives you the option of a cheaper Internet order while Bootleggers doesn't. I use Amazon Prime a LOT. When I do I never go to a local business, waste their time and then order on Prime. That's what puts local businesses out of business.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
winnipiseogee

Quote:
When I do I never go to a local business, waste their time and then order on Prime. That's what puts local businesses out of business.
I agree - If I'm going to visit a local independent business I always try and buy from them. The one thing that makes that difficult is our Kindle's. I still like to browse bookstores though so I end up buying the baby lots of books to make up for it!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
rick35

We hit the Meredith Bootleggers whenever we're up on vacation. You never know when a pair of shoes jumps off the shelf that you need to have. They carry brands that we like and at good prices.

A couple of years ago I needed a pair of dress shoes for a wedding and they didn't have anything that I liked. I remembered there was a shoe store in downtown Laconia so we went over there not knowing that it had become a Bootleggers. The impression I got from the sales staff is that they worked for the store before it changed names and were professional shoe salesmen. While the staff in Meredith is very helpful I wouldn't consider them career shoe salesmen as in Laconia.

If you want to shop at a first class shoe store take a trip to Alec's in Nashua. The have the best selection, best service and best prices. All that in an old school shoe store.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
TomC

Default brick & mortar

something doesn't sit right about browsing a local establishment, then taking one's business to an online merchant. the local guy has to pay rent/mortgage, taxes, utilities, insurance, sales clerks, and a myriad of other expenses to put his products on display. he does this to hopefully sell his wares. to go in, take notes, do research, try out the item then leave and place an order online just seems unethical. the 'virtual' retailer has done none of the above to make his items available to review - and his lower price is possible in part because he doesn't have these real-life expenses. soon there will be no local people because a business model that is all expense and no revenue is not sustainable. I think if you want place a cyber order, then the whole experience should stay in the cyber-world. If i were bootleggers, or any local merchant, i would be quite bitter about providing a tangible browsing experience - then losing the sale to a faceless web portal over a few dollars.

Last edited by TomC; 10-15-2012 at 03:39 PM.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomC For This Useful Post:
diz (10-15-2012), Grey Goose (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #9
Belmont Resident

Quote:
I don't think you can compare shopping at Best Buy and then buying online to trying shoes on at Bootleggers and then walking out the door to order somewhere else. Best Buy at least gives you the option of a cheaper Internet order while Bootleggers doesn't. I use Amazon Prime a LOT. When I do I never go to a local business, waste their time and then order on Prime. That's what puts local businesses out of business.
diz, although I've never done this with clothing , it did open my eyes to how much less expensive Chippewa boots can be found after an on-line search.
I as did many who live in Laconia area had a really bad experience when Bootleggers took over the Laconia store from the previous owners. Then when I told the manager in Meredith about the management in Laconia she concurred that many have complained about the Laconia store and the manager. So I for one will drive to Meredith if I want anything at Bootleggers.
As for the whole compare then shop Amazon, well Best Buy is changing it's policy and offering to match on-line prices as a result of loosing business due to this practice and Target has stopped carrying some product lines because of this practice. So it is in fact VERY common and yes it is costing the stores lost revenue. But if I can go into a store, any store and look at a product before I buy it and then go find it on line for hundreds less, then that is exactly what I'm going to do. I do understand all the overhead that a business pays for, I'm a business owner but I also know that there is a lot of price gouging out there as well.
FYI now that I do know what size I take in boots I also know that I can find them on-line for up to $60 less then at Bootleggers, and many times with a little diligence free shipping.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
garysanfran

Quote:
diz, although I've never done this with clothing , it did open my eyes to how much less expensive Chippewa boots can be found after an on-line search.
I as did many who live in Laconia area had a really bad experience when Bootleggers took over the Laconia store from the previous owners. Then when I told the manager in Meredith about the management in Laconia she concurred that many have complained about the Laconia store and the manager. So I for one will drive to Meredith if I want anything at Bootleggers.
As for the whole compare then shop Amazon, well Best Buy is changing it's policy and offering to match on-line prices as a result of loosing business due to this practice and Target has stopped carrying some product lines because of this practice. So it is in fact VERY common and yes it is costing the stores lost revenue. But if I can go into a store, any store and look at a product before I buy it and then go find it on line for hundreds less, then that is exactly what I'm going to do. I do understand all the overhead that a business pays for, I'm a business owner but I also know that there is a lot of price gouging out there as well.
FYI now that I do know what size I take in boots I also know that I can find them on-line for up to $60 less then at Bootleggers, and many times with a little diligence free shipping.
Best Buy has been in financial trouble for a few years because of people like you. If more people did what you do, there would be no Best Buy nor any other retail stores. It's also a pain to return a defective product from an online purchase. The fact that you don't understand the local retail business model does not speak well for your business acumen. I pay a bit more, help my local business, the local economy and my neighbors who have jobs
and my neighbors who need jobs.

http://www.ourbusinessnews.com/fitch...-credit-rating
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Diver Vince (10-19-2012), diz (10-15-2012), GsChinadoll (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Buying Strategies

Everyone has a startegy when it come to buying any product. I just do my homework by googling a product on line and see what kind of prices that product go for. Then I would 'window shop' locally for the product. If the product is selling at a reasonable price and I am treated fairly it is a done deal. Otherwise I would shop online when it is not available locally.

Trucks, autos, suv, and appliances buying are a lot more competitives compared to a decade ago. One can find a great price on line, when you approach a local business, they usually match the price you find.
Belmont Resident (10-16-2012), garysanfran (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Everyone has a startegy when it come to buying any product. I just do my homework by googling a product on line and see what kind of prices that product go for. Then I would 'window shop' locally for the product. If the product is selling at a reasonable price and I am treated fairly it is a done deal. Otherwise I would shop online when it is not available locally.

Trucks, autos, suv, and appliances buying are a lot more competitives compared to a decade ago. One can find a great price on line, when you approach a local business, they usually match the price you find.
To your point, is it fair to say that the way a person shops depends on what they're buying? I'll shop for a TV, computer or car online, but never items like shoes, eyeglasses or jewelry. If I've got to 'try something on' I want to go local rather than rely on internet reviews for these things.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
Rusty

If I go to my local Power Equipment retail store to buy a new Honda generator it will cost me $2,329.95 for the one I want.

If I go on-line and buy one with free shipping, it will cost me $1,899.99.

What should I do:

1. Bite the bullet and pay @ $430.00 more to support my local retail store?

2. Buy on-line to save $430.00 of my hard earned money?

I can take the on-line purchased generator to any Honda Dealer in the area if something goes wrong with it during the warranty period.

The answer is pretty simple for me.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Rusty

I get all my medications on-line...why?...because my local pharmacy won't let me fill a 90 day prescription.

I save a lot of money by getting a 90 day prescription filled on-line. I would be more than happy to get it filled by a local pharmacy if they would do a 90 day and save me some money.

I know it's not the pharmacies fault that they can't do it but that is just another example of why e-commerce is taking business away from the local retailer.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
GM doc

Default Well

Quote:
If you have ever sent an E-mail, Then you're just as guilty. YOU like me and everyone else IS making the USPS go out of business.
If its cheaper online......Then its mine.
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #16
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM doc View Post
If you have ever sent an E-mail, Then you're just as guilty. YOU like me and everyone else IS making the USPS go out of business.
I have not used the post office or a check book in years other then the PO box we use because we have a business.
Long ago I lost all faith in the post office and their shoddy handling and worst tracking of mail. As the price of a stamp goes up the quality of service hes gone down.
I say let them become privatized, maybe then service will get better, but either way I will not use a stamp when I have on-line bill pay.
I either e-mail all of my estimates and invoices or I hand deliver them and have for the last 10 years I've been in business.
diz (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #17
Belmont Resident

Quote:
To your point, is it fair to say that the way a person shops depends on what they're buying? I'll shop for a TV, computer or car online, but never items like shoes, eyeglasses or jewelry. If I've got to 'try something on' I want to go local rather than rely on internet reviews for these things.
dis I have not done this for cloths......
But if I knew I could save a significant amount by doing my homework locally I would.
I would however refuse help from a associate and just brows and look on my own.
Sorry if I gave you the impression that I used this practice on clothing.

But now that I know what size I take, in the future I will search for pricing on-line.
If you want to put it into perspective it isn't a whole lot different then waiting for an end of the season blowout sale. Your still taking product out of the store at a loss in some cases or the very least cost.
Yes the store is promoting it but in the end all you are doing is taking inventory off of their shelves.

PS. I think you would be really surprised at just how many people do exactly what your appalled at.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #18
Coastal Laker

Default It's not about a "few" $

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
something doesn't sit right about browsing a local establishment, then taking one's business to an online merchant. the local guy has to pay rent/mortgage, taxes, utilities, insurance, sales clerks, and a myriad of other expenses to put his products on display. he does this to hopefully sell his wares. to go in, take notes, do research, try out the item then leave and place an order online just seems unethical. the 'virtual' retailer has done none of the above to make his items available to review - and his lower price is possible in part because he doesn't have these real-life expenses. soon there will be no local people because a business model that is all expense and no revenue is not sustainable. I think if you want place a cyber order, then the whole experience should stay in the cyber-world. If i were bootleggers, or any local merchant, i would be quite bitter about providing a tangible browsing experience - then losing the sale to a faceless web portal over a few dollars.
A LOT of on-line retailers are small shops just like we have here in the Lakes Region who just so happen to have a strong on-line presence. It's not just warehouses like Amazon (who isn't the only seller on their own site by the way). I always try to support the local business myself, but I'm not going to buy from them if they are non-competitive by a significant amount, the definition of which varies by individual of course. The lines between the local and global markets are fading fast and some of the best local merchants have figured out how to adjust to the competitiveness forced upon them as a result. But that's a completely different subject!
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
diz

Default Usps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM doc View Post
For me the Postal Service as it currently exists is obsolete. I do nearly everything online. It's cheaper and it's faster. I could easily live with semi-weekly or even weekly USPS service. Why continue to pay a letter carrier to drive to my house everyday to bring me junk mail I didn't ask for?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #20
fatlazyless

Not sure if this is an appropriate comment to this thread.....but here goes.

Directly across the street from the Meredith NH, U.S. Post Office, is a small store that is home to Hunter's Yarn & Needlework. Just try to walk into the small store, and you will find that the front door is always locked, and there's a hand-written sign on the door saying the store is no longer open for customers and they only do business over the internet now.

Just googled "Hunter's Yarn & Needlework, Meredith NH" and nothing much came up......so what am I missing here? Maybe they do business on the internet under some other name......who knows......I have no clue?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #21
Coastal Laker

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Best Buy has been in financial trouble for a few years because of people like you. If more people did what you do, there would be no Best Buy nor any other retail stores. It's also a pain to return a defective product from an online purchase. The fact that you don't understand the local retail business model does not speak well for your business acumen. I pay a bit more, help my local business, the local economy and my neighbors who have jobs
and my neighbors who need jobs.

http://www.ourbusinessnews.com/fitch...-credit-rating
I don't think it's about paying a bit more. I think the issue is paying a lot more. I worked in retail management in a big box store for many years. That's after having worked a number of years for smaller retailers. I can tell you they each have their own business model that determines how competitive they will be and whether or not they will be successful. Best Buy is a good example of how a lack of responsiveness to market conditions can impact the bottom line. Actually, Circuit City is an even better example. At least Best Buy has started to change their approach, however late.

I think the "people like you" comment is a bit off. Think about how people got that way. It didn't start like this. Businesses need to see what's going on and adjust to the market (us). The good ones are actually driving their respective markets. It forces competition, better business practices, and drives prices down. Imagine if we just settle for paying more.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coastal Laker For This Useful Post:
Rusty (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #22
songkrai

For some of us no shoe store has a good choice.
I visited just about every shoe store in one major city and not found any pair that fits with comfort.

I once tried mail order from a specialty shoe catalog - ordering 6 pairs of shoes and none fit comfortably. Sent all back.

I did find the one and only real factory outlet for New Balance.
Located in Lawrence, MA -
5 South Union Street Lawrence, MA 01843

Here they actually manufacture one or two styles. The outlet store though is quite large with many styles of current and discontinued New Balance shoes. Some are seconds. All the seconds I viewed had no visable issues.
Usually the lowest price one can find for any New Balance. No great discount though. Just a few traffic lights off Route 495.
There is a 10% discount for seniors but one does have to ask for it.
But it is the quantity of styles of New Balance that makes this store worth a visit.
There are sections for men, women, and children.
I don't make a special trip but when I am passing the area I will sometimes stop in.
Note that the street bridge at factory/outlet is under construction. One has to enter from the south.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #23
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
If I go to my local Power Equipment retail store to buy a new Honda generator it will cost me $2,329.95 for the one I want.

If I go on-line and buy one with free shipping, it will cost me $1,899.99.

What should I do:

1. Bite the bullet and pay @ $430.00 more to support my local retail store?

2. Buy on-line to save $430.00 of my hard earned money?

I can take the on-line purchased generator to any Honda Dealer in the area if something goes wrong with it during the warranty period.

The answer is pretty simple for me.
I had a few experiences doing just that. I bought online and then was told that they would NOT service it.
I called and was looking at a Rennai heater. Told I could buy online but the local Rennai dealer said no way he was servicing it. Same with a generator. Powers said no way they would service an online generator. Called and talked to an Air-conditioning company and they said the exact same thing. they would not service a Split AC system I wanted to get from Home Depot for my house. I would have to get it installed by home depot to get it serviced by a Home Depot installer. Think about that when you buy online and don't think about the servicing it will need later. So sometimes and some things need careful thought.....

Getting back to shoes, I do buy in the local stores and have bought at Bootleggers. (Work Boots and hiking boots.) My wife buys there as well. She actually got her wedding sandals there....yep sandals. We got married in Hawaii. Anyway I think that if you have to go to a store to see something and then buy online, you haven't always saved money. Shipping, the gas you burned to get to the store, the time it took to park and walk in and out, and on and on. You have to take everything into consideration is what I am saying....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #24
rick35

Default Free return shipping

I bought some water shoes for kayaking this summer from Zappos only because i couldnt find any locally. They offer free shipping both ways so you only have to deal with the inconvenience of getting to a UPS pick up if you need to return them. The shoes didnt fit right so i headed over to the nearest Staples to send them back after ordering a bigger size. I was surprised to see several Zappos boxes on the cart waiting for UPS. The free shipping model seems to be working. And when Amazon integrates them into their store front end i expect they'll get even more business.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #25
Belmont Resident

Default Nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
For some of us no shoe store has a good choice.
I visited just about every shoe store in one major city and not found any pair that fits with comfort.

I once tried mail order from a specialty shoe catalog - ordering 6 pairs of shoes and none fit comfortably. Sent all back.

I did find the one and only real factory outlet for New Balance.
Located in Lawrence, MA -
5 South Union Street Lawrence, MA 01843

Here they actually manufacture one or two styles. The outlet store though is quite large with many styles of current and discontinued New Balance shoes. Some are seconds. All the seconds I viewed had no visable issues.
Usually the lowest price one can find for any New Balance. No great discount though. Just a few traffic lights off Route 495.
There is a 10% discount for seniors but one does have to ask for it.
But it is the quantity of styles of New Balance that makes this store worth a visit.
There are sections for men, women, and children.
I don't make a special trip but when I am passing the area I will sometimes stop in.
Note that the street bridge at factory/outlet is under construction. One has to enter from the south.
NB is great, we stop in the Skowhegan store on our way home from camp.
They just had a big tent sale with 30% off last month.
They make the most comfortable sneakers I've found yet for being on your feet all day.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #26
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I had a few experiences doing just that. I bought online and then was told that they would NOT service it.
I called and was looking at a Rennai heater. Told I could buy online but the local Rennai dealer said no way he was servicing it. Same with a generator. Powers said no way they would service an online generator. Called and talked to an Air-conditioning company and they said the exact same thing. they would not service a Split AC system I wanted to get from Home Depot for my house. I would have to get it installed by home depot to get it serviced by a Home Depot installer. Think about that when you buy online and don't think about the servicing it will need later. So sometimes and some things need careful thought.....

Getting back to shoes, I do buy in the local stores and have bought at Bootleggers. (Work Boots and hiking boots.) My wife buys there as well. She actually got her wedding sandals there....yep sandals. We got married in Hawaii. Anyway I think that if you have to go to a store to see something and then buy online, you haven't always saved money. Shipping, the gas you burned to get to the store, the time it took to park and walk in and out, and on and on. You have to take everything into consideration is what I am saying....
Any authorized dealer that refuses to service something that was bought on-line will eventually been doomed. Why..because if local businesses don't find a way to compete with the on-line prices then the only business that they will get is servicing of the equipment anyway. It's there choice.

If I buy a Honda generator on line and an authorized Honda dealer refuses to service it then I'll contact Honda headquarters and let them work it out with the franchise. I think we'll come to an agreement in short time.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #27
Lakesrider

I completely agree. I really didn't understand it myself. I mean what if I just bought the house and the previous owner had just installed the new AC, and bought it online. The guy wouldn't service it? Doesn't make sense to throw away business to me either. Just telling my experiences. So now days I check first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #28
Belmont Resident

Default Times change

What is the saying , adapt & overcome?
Times change and you either change with the times or your left behind.
My wife started way back when she bought her first GPS maybe 7 or 8 years ago and has been doing this for all of her electronic devices since.
GPS, camera, Kindle, ATV & snowmobile parts, you name it and you can find it on-line and usually for a lot less.
I once talked to an employee of HK outside of work, he said people are crazy to buy from him at HK but they still do. He said even he buys his motorcycle parts on-line for a lot less then HK charges him and he gets a discount.
Although you do have to do your homework and spend some time searching and comparing prices and shipping charges. Amazon in many cases isn't always the cheapest.
I recently was giving my son 2 old pressure washers, one so old it wasn't worth fixing and the other I couldn't find a pump for.
While loading them in his truck I took down the pump model number and later punched in the number on google. Up came a company that sells all the replacement parts I need to repair the water pump.
Here I was giving away a perfectly good running engine and now I'm ordering replacement parts to fix it for $30.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #29
Belmont Resident

Default Just on the news

Target has started matching online prices, while Best Buy and others including Kmart are expected to follow.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #30
Lakesrider

Correcct. as amtter of fact here is a ;ink to an article on just that.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,5546399.story

However I know that when you try that the SKU number is always just one off so that it isn;t the same model that Sears carries as Target or Best Buy.
Even though it is the same exact thing. I took down a number at BJ's the other day looking on line for it. Found the same item but the number was different....go figure. You'll need to have the exact same model number and SKU number to be able to compare the prices and get the better price.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #31
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Correcct. as amtter of fact here is a ;ink to an article on just that.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,5546399.story

However I know that when you try that the SKU number is always just one off so that it isn;t the same model that Sears carries as Target or Best Buy.
Even though it is the same exact thing. I took down a number at BJ's the other day looking on line for it. Found the same item but the number was different....go figure. You'll need to have the exact same model number and SKU number to be able to compare the prices and get the better price.
So in other words it is still a loss for the dept store.
If they are going to play games then people are still going to opt for the on-line price, so the dept store has gained nothing!
Or am I missing something.
I know when I was lawn tractor shopping I did notice that Sears would have the same exact tractor as Lowes of HD but instead of a 22hp engine it had a 20 or a 24hp. Nothing matched exactly between any of the stores.
So what you say makes sense.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #32
WinterHarborGirl

Quote:
I get all my medications on-line...why?...because my local pharmacy won't let me fill a 90 day prescription.

I save a lot of money by getting a 90 day prescription filled on-line. I would be more than happy to get it filled by a local pharmacy if they would do a 90 day and save me some money.

I know it's not the pharmacies fault that they can't do it but that is just another example of why e-commerce is taking business away from the local retailer.
Thats right...It's not the Pharmacies fault!!!! It's your insurance company that won't let the Pharmacy fill a 90 days supply....I have worked in a Pharmacy for 20+ years and I can tell you that the Insurance Companies have control over EVERYTHING!!!!!
WinterHarborGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterHarborGirl View Post
Thats right...It's not the Pharmacies fault!!!! It's your insurance company that won't let the Pharmacy fill a 90 days supply....I have worked in a Pharmacy for 20+ years and I can tell you that the Insurance Companies have control over EVERYTHING!!!!!
I used to go to Rite-Aid in Wolfeboro to get my prescriptions filled and for some reason your post reminds me of the way they used to treat me.

The explanation points and capital letters that you used to express yourself makes it look like you are really upset and are playing the blame game.

Anyway, now all I have to do is go to my favorites and click on Right Source to get my prescription filled. No more waiting in line or having to be told that I need to get in the back of the line and wait my turn.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #34
Belmont Resident

Quote:
I used to go to Rite-Aid in Wolfeboro to get my prescriptions filled and for some reason your post reminds me of the way they used to treat me.

The explanation points and capital letters that you used to express yourself makes it look like you are really upset and are playing the blame game.

Anyway, now all I have to do is go to my favorites and click on Right Source to get my prescription filled. No more waiting in line or having to be told that I need to get in the back of the line and wait my turn.
Rusty I go to Walmart now. I can get a 30 day supply free or I can pay $10 and get a 90 day supply and put it on the HSA credit card.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #35
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:

The Rite Aid discussion sounds familiar.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #36
Rusty

Quote:
Rusty I go to Walmart now. I can get a 30 day supply free or I can pay $10 and get a 90 day supply and put it on the HSA credit card.
I don't know much about HSA, but that is a good deal that you got at Walmart.

Walmart has been ramping up its e-commerce business to be more competitive with Amazon. One thing about Walmart and that is they don't sit around and complain about how they are being hurt by other businesses, they do something about.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #37
Belmont Resident

Quote:
I don't know much about HSA, but that is a good deal that you got at Walmart.

Walmart has been ramping up its e-commerce business to be more competitive with Amazon. One thing about Walmart and that is they don't sit around and complain about how they are being hurt by other businesses, they do something about.
HSA health saving account. The money goes in to an account pretax up to I believe 5K a year to be used only for medical. Co-pays, drugs, prepay for doctors work then get reimbursed. I pays down the out of pocket before our full coverage kicks in and pays at 100%.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #38
Rusty

Quote:
HSA health saving account. The money goes in to an account pretax up to I believe 5K a year to be used only for medical. Co-pays, drugs, prepay for doctors work then get reimbursed. I pays down the out of pocket before our full coverage kicks in and pays at 100%.
Thank you.

Having a High-Deductible Health Plan like that must make people more aware of cost associated with health-care and make them better informed consumers, i.e., shop for better prices, use generic drugs, seek out free preventive services, etc.
The simple act of putting the dollars in the hands of individual consumers is the thing that probably create Health Care behavioral changes.

The plan looks good to me.