Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
nesun326

Default new boat-looking for opinions

We're looking to buy our first boat-21-24'. We have looked at Chaparral and Cobalt, and liked both. We are hoping to keep this boat for a long time, and will use it mostly for cruising, with maybe some fishing and sports. Also looking for info. on the service you've gotten from local marinas. We live in the Gilford area.
nesun326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Formula

Default Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesun326 View Post
We're looking to buy our first boat-21-24'. We have looked at Chaparral and Cobalt, and liked both. We are hoping to keep this boat for a long time, and will use it mostly for cruising, with maybe some fishing and sports. Also looking for info. on the service you've gotten from local marinas. We live in the Gilford area.
I would also look at Formula boats. The dealer is Lakeport Landing. They are about the same in price to a Colbalt. However they have a better warranty and are built better. If you are stuck on one of teh two options you listed I would go for the Cobalt
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Arrow Winnipesaukee Marinas

All are good marinas. They need to be to survive. When it comes to service, some are better than others. I won't name names. Patronized this website advertisers.

If you been to the boat shows. I would say you did your homework. Lots of quality boats. Many leftovers and quality preowned boats.

Look at the 4-Winns and Searays line. Top quality boats if you are planning long term purchase.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
XCR-700

A few years back I looked at a Caravelle and was very impressed.

I think it was an Interceptor 232 SC (cuddy)

If budget is not an issue (ya right) the Chris Craft Corsair 25 is an outstanding rig! When I hit the lottery I will put that at the top of my list!!!

One issue I have with most modern boats is the cockpit area is way too small.

I dont really care for bowriders as I dont like having people in front of me while driving on a busy lake, and I also have to confess of a fear of loosing someone over the front,,, so I have only had closed bow & cuddy cabins myself, and as such seating area and cockpit "open space" become more of an issue than in the bow riders.

This may not be an issue for you, it really only becomes a problem when you have a few people in the boat. But even with my wife and the 2 boys I like a bit of elbow room, especially when docking or trying to get the anchor out and drop it a sandbar.

I really like the look, quality, features, and performance of many of the modern boats, but have not found too many that offer the cockpit space of the 60's and 70's style boats. The Chris Craft's, the walkarounds, and a very few others are the exceptions.

Well thats my 2 cents,,,

GH
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Ms Molly McKever

Default first boat

Quote:
My first boat was a 22' four winns, great boat for the money.
check out melvin village mariner, ask for erin, good luck
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
Bear Island South

Default Monterey

Quote:
another boat to look at if budget is not an issue is Monterey, you can find them at Shep Brown's

I have owned two, love their style.
Attached Images

Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
AB_Monterey

Very happy with our Monterey and with Shep's.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
welchislandman

Smile

We have a Rinker 232 bought from Silver Sands and am very happy with the value and how it is built. Went from a 20 to a 24 a few years back. Was a great desicion for handling the waves etc in rough weather
welchislandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
Patiently Watching

The answer really depends upon what you are looking to spend and what is important to you. There are some great boats out there that are reasonably priced and for longevity would consider something with a low maintenance interior and a HONDA outboard.

If you are looking for something more traditional a Cobalt is nice, but quite pricey. A Four Winns will get you into a very nice boat for a lot less $$$ and the service at Melvin Village Marina is second to none. Matt & Tom Young run a great operation and have awesome staff and the CLEANEST marina you will find (if they treat their shop like this, imagine how they care for your expensive boat)....

Best of luck. Remember, the two best days in a boat owners life are they day the buy the boat and the day the sell the boat... hahah.

See you on the lake.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
wadden

Smile

We have a Cobalt 262 purchased new several years back from Jeff Thurston and LOVE it. Thurston's is an excellent marina - outstanding service/maintenance, friendly, knowledgable. Go with the Cobalt - you will have years of fun!!
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
Dave R

Think outside the box a bit and you may be happier in the long run. I/O powered bow riders are really nice, cushy and often quite sleek, but if you intend to keep one a long time the maintenance costs and depreciation can really add up. If I were looking for a Winnipesaukee day-use boat, I'd start with dual-console outboard powered boats and see if there's something in that market segment that you like. They are built more ruggedly than a typical bow rider, and are almost entirely white. White gelcoat and vinyl will stand up better to years of baking in the sun much better than the darker colors you typically see on I/O boats. Modern outboards are thriftier on fuel and MUCH easier to maintain than an I/O. This type of boat will have a much stroner resale than an I/O. A typical dual console will handle rough water better than a typical I/O bowrider and most have self bailing cockpits and positive floatation, a HUGE safety factor on a lake known for chop.

My favorite Dual console in the size range you are looking at is the Grady White Tournament 225: See http://www.gradywhite.com/225/
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
jrc

Dave R list all the good points of a dual console over a bowrider.

There are a few negatives:

Fish boat styling is a turn off for some wives
Swim platform is smaller and has a motor in the middle of it
Swim platform is harder to get to, the transom does not have walk-through

I would get a used bowrider. You can pick one up cheap in this economy. Keep it for one or two seasons. Learn what you like and hate about it and then buy your real boat.

Unless you have prior boating experience, you will mess-up your first boat. Things like dock dings, and scratches, ripped and stained vinyl seats, carpet stains, stuck canvas zipper and broken snaps, and bent props hurt a lot less on used boat that you plan to trade.

You will trade/sell you first boat in a few years, happens to everybody, so try to make it as inexpensive as possible.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
NHskier

I'd second the recommendation to buy used. Many if not all of the marinas in the area will have good trade-ins or brokerage boats for sale and you'll most likely find a good variety of choices. Most have websites with their inventory so you can start there for ideas.

We bought our boat (1998 Cobalt) from Jeff Thurston. Thurston's had originally sold the boat so could cover all the features and ins/outs, and had all the maintenance records which they shared with us in advance. We rent a slip there and have them do all the maintenance work and storage. We've had excellent luck with the boat, and could not be more pleased with the staff there.

While I highly recommend Thurston's you'll find a number of recommendations in this forum for other good marinas on the lake.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
Mee-n-Mac

Question Some questions

Quote:
How many of "you" are there ? Are talking about a boat for a family of four or just you and your fishin buddies ? What ages ? Will you be skiing or boarding or tubing ? Will you be trailering it to the lake or do you have your own dock ? Where on the lake ? When on the lake how much continuous time out on the water are you thinking about ? What prior boating experience have you had ? There's a ton of boat options out there, some better tailored to specific uses than others. A small cruiser or large cuddy is a great boat for spending the day on the water but not the best for skiing. A bow rider is great for kids and easy access to the bow is a plus for a novice when docking but lack of storage and/or a head can be a problem for long periods on the water. A pontoon boat is great if you want to take your neighborhood out for a spin but not so good when the waves get real big. Your size range is good but I'd think more about what you want to do with a boat before I worried about the manufacturer. Like my Brit friends say, "horses for courses".
Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
hancoveguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
The answer really depends upon what you are looking to spend and what is important to you. There are some great boats out there that are reasonably priced and for longevity would consider something with a low maintenance interior and a HONDA outboard.

If you are looking for something more traditional a Cobalt is nice, but quite pricey. A Four Winns will get you into a very nice boat for a lot less $$$ and the service at Melvin Village Marina is second to none. Matt & Tom Young run a great operation and have awesome staff and the CLEANEST marina you will find (if they treat their shop like this, imagine how they care for your expensive boat)....

Best of luck. Remember, the two best days in a boat owners life are they day the buy the boat and the day the sell the boat... hahah.

See you on the lake.

I totally second the vote for Melvin Village. I have commented on them here on several occasions and can not say enough about their customer service. If I could afford a new boat it would come from Melvin Village!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #16
Grady223

Default Grady White Tournament 225

I am with Dave R, obviously! Got the previous model G-W Tournament (223). Wonderful boat, built better than anything else you'll find on the lake. I have a 250 Yamaha 2 stoke - Dave's services it, wonderful motor, wonderful service. Bought the boat new in 2001 at Port Harbor Marine in Portland. We live on Barndoor Island, so it is an ideal multipurpose boat, I expect it to last until I no longer need a boat - another 15 years at least. If I was getting one today I'd have it powered with a 250 hp Evinrude E-Tech, less weight (80 lbs), less maintenance costs, with better fuel economy, longevity and power than a 4 stroke while equally clean burning. Will probably re-power with one in 8 to 10 years. Good luck!

Last edited by Grady223; 04-20-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
jsn

Take an long look at BRYANT Boats. Paugus Bay Marina has the local dealership. Excellent boat AND excellent service!
jsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #18
trigger finger

Default First Boat

We bought our first boat last year, after doing much of the same research we decided to go with a Cobalt 262. After one season I can tell you we love this boat; we had it out on some days last year when it became very rough on the lake. We keep it at Goodhue and Hawkins in Wolfeboro. So one day when we were coming back from paugus bay out of the Channel and across the broads it became very rough and the boat handled the weather with no problems that day. The boat in my opinion has fit and finish and quality of construction that to me is among the best we compared it to. Hope this helps and have a great summer with whatever boat you decide.
trigger finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
onlywinni

Quote:

My 2 cents:

I would go with a 24' boat for Winni. After about a decade with a 20' boat I wish I stepped up sooner than we did to a larger boat. A 20-21 on Winni is too small in my opinion if you plan on going out at all on the weekends-you get too beat up.

There was a quite a difference in the ride comfort from our old 20 cuddy to my father in laws 24' cuddy. Of course the Baja we have now handles anything Winni can dish out in comfort and style. I also think Chapparal and Cobalt make great boats. Cobalts are probably a little nicer-but that is just my opinion.

On the Marina question. West Alton Marina has great facilities and a great Service Department.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck with your Search.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #20
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I just recently purchased a "new" used boat for myself. Disclaimer... no it's not a Maxum. That was my former boat. No slight on Maxum either, I loved my old boat and have nothing but good things to say about it. Slightly used is the way to go, let somebody else take a bath on the depreciation and save yourself a wad of cash. Thing with used is you really need to know what your looking at, what it's worth and what to look for in regards to the cosmetics, structure and mechanical aspects of a potential boat purchase. Do not expect any dealer no matter how nice to do you any favors.

The thing with boats or anything for that matter is that it's a huge investment and while everyone has their ideas of what works for them it may not work for you. Also it's worthwhile to spend a good amount of time researching different makes and models and understand why some may be much more expensive than others. Here are some things to consider, research, understand and weigh as you ponder your decision. The more educated you are about boats the better off you are.

First, do a little research on basic boat construction, hull design and materials used. Price variations usually are explained by these three factors more so than any other. For example let's assume you're looking at a glass boat. What kind of resins, fibers and gel coats that are used will make a huge difference in the overall strength and longevity of the boat. Hull design such as dead rise, beam, Vee depth and angles will greatly effect the overall stability and comfort of the ride.

Secondly for me when I look at anything I pay close attention to the little things. Fit, finish and quality of the materials used goes a long way. I like to see all stainless steel hardware, period. No plastic handles, deck fittings or rub rails. I like to see nice heavy duty stainless steel cleats, foward, aft and mid boat. I like to see things like really good heavy duty vinyl, upholstery with no exposed reversed threading, but piping along the seams, and any seams should be double stitched. When you look at these things you'll soon begin to pick up on the differences between the manufacturers. I also like to maneuver the seats, any lids that go to compartments, try everything look how it's constructed and whether or not you'll think it can take years of use or if it looks flimsy and might last a season or two before it'll start to fall apart. Little features and doo dads are nice, but one thing I find you can't get enough of is storage space. What good is a boat that doesn't have the space to carry anything much beyond the usual essentials. While sun pads are nice to have, they waste a ton of room too, I don't understand why so many boats these days have ginormous sun pads at the expense of seating. One thing I wish my boat had is an extended swim platform. Super nice option to have IMHO. Covers, got to have them too and better off with factory snap tight tailored covers than cheapo after markets. It's not any cheaper to have them custom made and if they aren't made of good fabric like sunbrella they will not last. Cockpit and bow covers are a must. Bimini tops are also a must have on those really hot sunny days.

Finally, get a good reputable power plant. Talk to several marine mechanics to get their opinion. They work on them, see what kind of problems occur and nobody will be able to advise you better, certainly not a salesman.

I'm way to opinionated to give you an objective piece of advice as to what to specifically look at brand and style wise. What I will say is that I spent a good amount of time looking before I pulled the trigger. I also found that a significant amount of money can be saved by browsing the internet looking at boats once you have an idea of what you're looking for even if it means going out of state to fetch something. I ended up narrowing my search to a particular boat model, year of manufacture and power plant. Had a shot at one at a marina on the lake, price was sky high, ended up saving about 6K by picking up the same boat a year newer, far less hours and a 6 hour drive to PA.

Good luck in your search...
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger finger View Post
We bought our first boat last year, after doing much of the same research we decided to go with a Cobalt 262. After one season I can tell you we love this boat; we had it out on some days last year when it became very rough on the lake. We keep it at Goodhue and Hawkins in Wolfeboro. So one day when we were coming back from paugus bay out of the Channel and across the broads it became very rough and the boat handled the weather with no problems that day. The boat in my opinion has fit and finish and quality of construction that to me is among the best we compared it to. Hope this helps and have a great summer with whatever boat you decide.
WOW, your first boat was a Cobalt 262! Thats impressive!!

Did you have a lot of experience with boats before buying your own, or did you just decide to jump into the deep end of the pool first shot?

GH
Old 04-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
XCR-700

While we are on the subject of boat shopping, what websites are folks using to search for used boats when they are looking for a particular rig?

I actually stumbled across something on this site last summer that I was interested in, only to miss out on it just as I sent the second email to the seller,,, Day late and a dollar short, is the story of my life,,, LOL

Thanks - GH
Old 04-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Lightbulb Mash

I use this site to find boats on EBay and Craigslist.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cpboat

If you belong to BoatUS, the website has an extensive list of used boats.

http://www.boatus.com/classifiedads/

Google 'used boats for sale'. You should get a list of used boats websites, to numerous to post here.

Good Luck!
jsa3107 (06-26-2010), XCR-700 (04-22-2010)
Old 04-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #24
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Local websites too

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
While we are on the subject of boat shopping, what websites are folks using to search for used boats when they are looking for a particular rig?

I actually stumbled across something on this site last summer that I was interested in, only to miss out on it just as I sent the second email to the seller,,, Day late and a dollar short, is the story of my life,,, LOL

Thanks - GH
I believe pretty much every marina that sells boats on Winni has their own website that will list the pre-owned boats for sale.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #25
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I use this site to find boats on EBay and Craigslist.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cpboat

If you belong to BoatUS, the website has an extensive list of used boats.

http://www.boatus.com/classifiedads/

Google 'used boats for sale'. You should get a list of used boats websites, to numerous to post here.

Good Luck!
Many Thanks - the "Jaxed" site is pretty cool for someone like me who is always looking for something that you cant fine locally!

I'm still bummed out about missing out on the Winnipesaukee boat last year, it looked like a great deal and it was already here,,, Oh well, not meant to be I guess,,,

GH
Old 04-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #26
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
I believe pretty much every marina that sells boats on Winni has their own website that will list the pre-owned boats for sale.
Actually thats what I was hoping to avoid,,, Way too many to search and all too often they are no up to date.

The "jaxed" site BroadHopper posted is very impressive, only probelm there is I'll end up finding what I want on the other side of the country,,,

Thanks

GH
Old 04-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #27
Cobalt 25

The OP asked about Cobalt/Formula comparisons.

We have owned 4 Cobalts, 3 of them purchased new. In 2001 we looked at new 25' Cobalts and a 26' Formula. Based on a number of different considerations, we purchased the Formula.

Although very happy with the Formula (NOT Mercruiser), I believe Cobalts manufactured in the 90s to be better built than the Formula. The Formula is a sweet boat and we have not had any structural issues, but when you really scrutinize out-of-the-way places, the Cobalts really were superior.

Both brands are quality products. Other boats can't compare, in my opinion.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #28
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post

Thanks - GH
I love boat trader... http://www.boattrader.com
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #29
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I love boat trader... http://www.boattrader.com
I always forget about them, I used to buy the hard copy years ago but seem to forget about the online version.

So far I'm not having any luck, finding what I'm looking for but it could be that it just not as common of a model as I thought,,,

Thanks Much - GH
Old 04-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #30
BroadHopper

Default Must be a good boat!

Folks may not want to get rid of her!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #31
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Folks may not want to get rid of her!
Yup, you might be right!

I know when I was looking for my CVX I had a devil of a time finding one as clean as I wanted and in the color I wanted. Ended up finding it in Montana!

I'm guessing this search will go the same,,,

GH

p.s. to try to keep on topic,,, the CVX-20 is a GREAT classic fiberglass boat, but a bit small in cockpit space and the hull was designed for flat water use. When the water is flat it drives a race car, but when the wind kicks up its a rough ride,,,

Old 04-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #32
cowisl

Call Bill at Channel Marine. He will set you up. 603 366 4801
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #33
VtSteve

Quote:
Both are very nice boats. I assume you've looked at the prices. If so, I'd go with the Cobalt every time. Nothing wrong with the Chap at all, but the Cobalts have finish and touches that are pretty astounding. (price can be astounding as well)

Since you have dealers on the lake, April/May is an excellent time to test them out on the water. You may even be able to find a good deal on a holdover. A great time to do any boat trial is when it's very rough. You'll be able to whittle down your choices pretty quick then

PS: Under these spring conditions, you may decide the bowrider isn't the best choice, who knows?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #34
Grady223

Default New vs. Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I just recently purchased a "new" used boat for myself. Disclaimer... no it's not a Maxum. That was my former boat. No slight on Maxum either, I loved my old boat and have nothing but good things to say about it. Slightly used is the way to go, let somebody else take a bath on the depreciation and save yourself a wad of cash....
When I bought my Grady White, I found that the price difference between a 2 to 3 year old Grady and a new one was insignificant. Went with a new one, got the equipment I wanted on it, one that was never in salt water and to this day (9 years later) know that it has been maintained properly. I think whether you buy new or used depends on which boat and how long you plan on keeping it. I understand that in today's economy used boats are in far greater demand than new boats indicating that you should be able to make great deals on new ones.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #35
codeman671

I have owned just about everything under the sun. I would suggest Rinker or Monterey. Stick with something if possible that has a marina presence in the area for your first boat. Silver Sands is listing a leftover 246 which is a great boat. I previously owned a 226 R1. For smaller boats the Monterey 214FS is a great bowrider (yep, had one of these too) and Shep Browns gets a thumbs up. I am in the process of buying my third Monterey now, a 302CR (used). I have had the 214FS as mentioned as well as the 298SS (which was an awesome boat I must say).

Even thought I just sold my infamous yellow go-fast pontoon, I am still a huge fan of Manitou pontoons and would certainly look at a tri-toon. Rochester Sports has a few leftovers which are good deals. My 24' was good for 50mph and was as good in rough water if not better than anything else in its size range, plus was more comfortable, roomy and versatile.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #36
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
I have had the 214FS as mentioned as well as the 298SS (which was an awesome boat I must say).

I love the 298SC. One of my favorite boats.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #37
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I love the 298SC. One of my favorite boats.

I have the SS (bowrider). The SC is the sport cuddy. Great boats, but this time around I need more of a cabin.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #38
Coastal Laker

Default My .02

Quote:
If you're looking to buy your first boat, you may want to consider staying at the lower end of the price range. Why spend more on a chris craft or formula as some suggest and then decide in a year you don't like boating as much as you thought? BOth Chaparral and Cobalt are good boats. You can always upgrade as you become more accostomed to boating, improve your skills, and learn what features you would have liked and would want in your next boat. (If you like boating, there's almost always a next boat). And of course, consider the likelihood of dents and dings if your docking skills have room for growth.

As for service, I've had enough of it around the lake to know where I will and won't go. Feel free to send me a private message for my thoughts on that. Some mechanics at some of the popular marinas are great, and some are completely clueless and will cost you a fortune.

And don't forget: the marina isn't responsible for outfitting the boat with all the legally required gear and "stuff." You are. So don't be dissappointed with what you don't get with a new boat - but certainly try to negotiate some of it in!
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote