Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
Quilt Lady

Default The Black Bears Are Awake!

Tonight we had a black bear visit our house. He made a tour of our neighborhood. The phones were ringing so we knew he was out there. I wasn't about to go outside to take down a feeder with him wandering around. Sure enough, he came by and ripped down the feeder and ate the contents. We looked out the window at him and he growled and charged towards us. He was very big and aggressive. I guess they wake up very hungry and VERY grumpy. Needless to say, we only peeked out at him from behind the curtains from then on.

So take down those feeders and bring your pets in at night. The Bears Are Back!!!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Sunrise Point

Thanks for the warning. It's a sure sign that spring is coming.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Thanks QL. I had filled the feeders yesterday wondering if it was getting to be time take them down. I'll go out now and get them down. Grumpy will probably wonder by but he won't get to tear the feeders apart.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Thanks!

QL, Thanks for the head's up! I walk the woods with the dog frequently- it is one thing to come around a corner and see a deer...
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilt Lady View Post
Tonight we had a black bear visit our house. He made a tour of our neighborhood. The phones were ringing so we knew he was out there. I wasn't about to go outside to take down a feeder with him wandering around. Sure enough, he came by and ripped down the feeder and ate the contents. We looked out the window at him and he growled and charged towards us. He was very big and aggressive. I guess they wake up very hungry and VERY grumpy. Needless to say, we only peeked out at him from behind the curtains from then on.

So take down those feeders and bring your pets in at night. The Bears Are Back!!!
And all this time I thought Black Bears were friendlier than Brown Bears!
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
donnamatrix

Default Walk with an whistle

VB: We have bears in our yard, and walking up our road and right up our driveway each year. We keep one of those "airhorn" cans on the porch - the kind of "boat whistle in a can" that you would have on a boat. You shouldn't be walking around in our neck of the woods without one of these... be careful!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Whimsey

Default Mystery Solved

Guess that explains how one of our feeders was on the ground 20 feet from where it should have been. Thanks for the heads up.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow NH Fish & Game Alert

Warm Weather Has Some Bears Out and About Already:
Take Your Bird feeders Down -- And Save A Bear!

CONCORD, N.H. -- Early spring-like conditions across New Hampshire have caused bears to get a jump start on spring. Recent bear activity has been mostly concentrated in the more southern part of New Hampshire, but reports from the entire state are likely in the coming weeks. Spring marks the period when bears emerge from dens and begin foraging to replenish fat reserves depleted during the long winter denning period. Natural foods are scarce this time of year, so it is critical for homeowners to take action now to reduce the chances of attracting bears.

Denning behavior by bears is primarily a response to periods of food shortage. Bear foods are scare from late fall until spring, which coincides with the typical bear denning season in New Hampshire. Weather also plays a role, as this behavior allows bears to conserve energy during the winter months. With the lack of snow and recent warming temperatures, it is likely bears will become active earlier this spring.

“To prevent attracting a bear to your residence, it is essential to take down your bird feeders and put them away until next winter, despite the fact that the recommended deadline for taking down feeders is nearly a month away,” says Andy Timmins, Bear Project Leader for New Hampshire Fish and Game. “This isn’t about bird feeders or bird watching, it’s about the safety and well-being of black bears. Bears that frequent homes for easy pickings often have a shorter life expectancy than bears that don’t. Take down your feeders and save a bear.”

Last year, 681 bear complaints were documented in New Hampshire. More than half of these complaints were related to bears causing property damage. "Most of these incidents were caused by the presence of bird seed or garbage at the residence and could have been easily avoided if these attractants were removed,” said Timmins.

During the denning period, bears typically lose 25% of their body weight, and a lactating female with newborn cubs may lose as much as 40%. Bears coming out of their dens are readily attracted to human-related foods.

Homeowners should take action to reduce the chances of a bear visiting their home.
Prevent bear visits by taking a few simple precautions:

* Stop all bird feeding by the time bears emerge from their dens, which is happening early this year because of the warm weather.
* Clean up any spilled birdseed and dispose of it in the trash.
* Secure all garbage in airtight containers inside a garage or adequate storage area, and put garbage out on the morning of pickup, not the night before.
* Avoid putting meat or other food scraps in your compost pile.
* Don't leave pet food dishes outside overnight.
* Clean and store outdoor grills after each use.
* NEVER intentionally feed bears!

These steps will help to ensure that your backyard does not become attractive to bears. This is important because it prevents property damage by bears and because it keeps bears from becoming “nuisance” animals.

For more information on preventing conflicts with black bears, visit www.wildnh.com/Wildlife/Somethings_Bruin.htm.

If you have questions about bear-related problems, you can get technical advice by calling the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Wildlife Services, located in Concord, N.H., at the following toll-free number: 1-888-749-2327 (1-888-SHY-BEAR).

USDA Wildlife Services works in partnership with the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department to minimize wildlife-human conflicts, including those associated with black bears. Last year (2009), Wildlife Services fielded 2,062 wildlife-related requests for assistance, almost a full third (32%) of which were related to bears. Each year, Wildlife Services also hires two bear technicians in New Hampshire during May through August, when the majority of bear complaints are received. These bear technicians, in partnership with N.H. Fish and Game Department field staff, work closely with the general public to educate them regarding bear behavior and to directly resolve bear-human conflicts.

The statewide black bear population is considered relatively stable -- thanks to careful management by Fish and Game -- and currently is about 4,800 bears.

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is the guardian of the state’s fish, wildlife and marine resources and their habitats. Visit www.wildnh.com.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Lucy Goose

Default Where are you folks located that you are seeing bears?

We are in Long Island. Where are you?
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
Argie's Wife

Skunks are awake too...

My dog cornered one on our farmers porch last night.... pppppp-uuuuuuu!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj112757 View Post
West Alton near Minge Cove.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
Formula

Default Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj112757 View Post
BJ112757- I ahve not seen any bears on the island in many, many years.
I did see bear(s) crossing on the neck road last summer three times.

I have seen, however many beers on the island.
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Skunks are awake too...

Yup. Saw (and smelled) a dead one on Pine Street in Wolfeboro last week. Sure sign of spring.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #14
trfour

Smile

Quote:
Skunks are awake too...

Hope you gave him/her a vigorous tomato juice bath!!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #15
Pepper

Default Puh-youie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Yup. Saw (and smelled) a dead one on Pine Street in Wolfeboro last week. Sure sign of spring.
Drove through downtown Alton around 10:15 this evening and WOW was it pungent! Yessiree, the skunks are out and about!
Old 03-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #16
Whimsey

Default Lesson Learned...Take in Empty Feeders

Well I didn't pull in the bird feeders yesterday because they were empty. Big mistake. The bear bent the poles in half, not to mention what he did to the empty feeders. I'm going to regret that I cemented those feeder poles so deeply into the ground...
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #17
CrawfordCentury

Default Black bears versus skunks?

I'll take my chances with the bears. They do a better job of making their presence known. I've darned near tripped over skunks skads of times in the woods in the evening and in my dooryard at night.

Just don't get me started about the turkeys. Neighbors give mother nature a helping hand by feeding them and they come into my yard and poop everywhere. (The turkeys, not the neighbors. They are not welcome to poop in my yard either.)

Grrrrr.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #18
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordCentury View Post
I'll take my chances with the bears. They do a better job of making their presence known. I've darned near tripped over skunks skads of times in the woods in the evening and in my dooryard at night.

Just don't get me started about the turkeys. Neighbors give mother nature a helping hand by feeding them and they come into my yard and poop everywhere. (The turkeys, not the neighbors. They are not welcome to poop in my yard either.)

Grrrrr.
I had a skunk brush up against my leg last summer as I was taking out the garbage - I thought it was a cat, as it walked beside me for a moment. Then I realized what "it" was and about had a heart attack.

And turkeys... if you really wanna see a show, come up on Route 140 at about 8:30 or 9:30 a.m., just above the fire station here in Alton, as about dozen or so cross a major road, headed to the "ALL YOU CAN EAT" buffet one of my neighbors puts out. Those are some serious speed bumps crossing the road! (They are HUGE! Bigger than the youngest Arglet!)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #19
RLW

Default Yep, they are out

Yep they are out. Saw fresh tracks in some of the left over snow this weekend up on the mountain over where we usually have the bird feeder hanging. Time to bring them in I guess.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
Pineedles

Default Possible Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordCentury View Post

Grrrrr.
I'll be glad to help you out if you want.

2010 Spring Season
One bearded or male turkey may be taken by shotgun or bow per hunter; hunters are encouraged to pass on bearded hens.

May 3 to May 31: Statewide
Limit: One male or bearded turkey
Hunting hours: 1/2 hour before sunrise to 12 noon.
Legal methods: Archery or shotgun (10, 12, 16 or 20 gauge shotgun using 2, 4, 5 or 6 size shot)
Registration: The fully feathered, intact turkey must be registered and sealed within 24 hours of the time of taking.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #21
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post

2010 Spring Season
One bearded or male turkey may be taken by shotgun or bow per hunter; hunters are encouraged to pass on bearded hens.

Legal methods: Archery or shotgun (10, 12, 16 or 20 gauge shotgun using 2, 4, 5 or 6 size shot)
Registration: The fully feathered, intact turkey must be registered and sealed within 24 hours of the time of taking.
You need to share!!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #22
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
And turkeys... if you really wanna see a show, come up on Route 140 at about 8:30 or 9:30 a.m., just above the fire station here in Alton, as about dozen or so cross a major road, headed to the "ALL YOU CAN EAT" buffet one of my neighbors puts out.
Thanks for the heads up. Keep us informed once you have a chance to verify the trans-fat content of said buffet.

Quote:
Those are some serious speed bumps crossing the road! (They are HUGE! Bigger than the youngest Arglet!)
The upside is the amusement value that goes along with watching their effect on the morning commute. Hee-hee.

On a more grisley note someone's liable to get hurt. I'm thinkin' it's gonna be a biker sans skid lid gettin whacked by a mid-flight 50-lb jake - BAM! right in the grape whilst going 45mph. It will NOT be pretty at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post

2010 Spring Season

Yup. I've done gotten attached to a few of 'em. Even picked out names for a few of the standouts. Call the big one Suppah.

Figure naming is a way of cementing a sentient being's destiny. Sorta like naming your kid Jeeves. Kid's lot is cast even before the ink's dry on the birth certificate.

Ooops. I seemed to have derailed this fine thread. Back on course...the emerging black bears will prolly scare away my turkey's. Going to have to make alternative plans for suppah.