Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #101
SIKSUKR

Yup,F is the only one I know for sure but I wonder if an emergency superseeds that law.I know I would not take the 6-7 minutes it takes to get through the channel if it was a REAL emergency.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #102
islandAl

Default Agreed

F for sure and for B, I don't care, I'm getting there as fast as possible.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #103
Misty Blue

Default Stand on vessel

JRC:

When a vessel is being passed within 150' he is not necessarily also guilty of a violation of the Safe Passage Rule (a good rule).

Anywhere except in NH he would be the "Stand On Vessel" and by law would be required to "maintain course and speed". This is to avoid confusion during a maneuver being undertaken by an other vessel.

In NH they throw in a curve ball. The vessel being overtaken must maintain course and "such speed as circumstances prudently permit". To me, stepping on the brakes when someone is passing you is bad policy. The MP has given out tickets to both boats in the past but I would take that one to a judge.

As for Bizer's quiz I go along with Dave. The only written deviation from the rule is for a skiier TAKING OFF. When you land the no one, the boat or the skiier can be within 150' of the shore, rafts, etc. so when they whip you back in make sure that you have enough Moxie to make it in!

Let's try a new tack. We will soon be launching and that means trailers!

Fun with trailers: When you hook on your trailer to your F-350 Super Duty "Dullie" how should you set you safety chains?

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #104
fatlazyless

Default ...crossed

Tire chains should be crossed. In case the hitch lifts off the trailer ball while being towed, the trailer hitch and tongue will be caught by the crossed chains and not dig into the road. If the chains are too long, their cradle effect will not work too good, or at all.

Next question: For trailers built before directional signals were required, what's the universal hand signal for signaling a right hand turn?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #105
islandAl

Default criss cross

crossing so the theroy goes will help the trailer track straight if it should some how come off the ball.

test question, when putting the padlock on when storing, should the "catch" be open or closed?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #106
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandAl
test question, when putting the padlock on when storing, should the "catch" be open or closed?
That's akin to asking if the door should be closed prior to locking it.

Does not make much sense to "lock" an open door and leave it opened.

Just because to knob will not turn, does not preclude someone from entering the open door.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:27 PM   #107
Misty Blue

Default Trailer latch

You are right on with crossing the safety chains AL. The hitch popped off of the wife's boat last year and without the chains she would have rolled down a steep driveway into mu neighbor's cottage. WOW!

Try this one: How do you keep your trailer lights from "popping" when launching your boat?

Misty Blue
Old 03-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #108
Dave R

You unplug the lights before getting them wet or switch to LED instead of bulbs, a really nice upgrade.

Pretty sure cables handle shock loads better than chains and would probably be an upgrade to any trailer. I know the breaking limit of plain steel cable is roughly 5 to 6 times the working load limit of the same diameter proof coil chain. I like the way cables self coil too.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #109
Skip

Exclamation Doctrine of competing harms....RSA 627:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
Yup,F is the only one I know for sure but I wonder if an emergency superseeds that law.I know I would not take the 6-7 minutes it takes to get through the channel if it was a REAL emergency.
Siksukr is right, depending on the circumstances B would be a reasonable exception. However, carefully note the exception in section II....The RSA follows (pertinent passages in red as usual):

Section 627:3
627:3 Competing Harms. –
I. Conduct which the actor believes to be necessary to avoid harm to himself or another is justifiable if the desirability and urgency of avoiding such harm outweigh, according to ordinary standards of reasonableness, the harm sought to be prevented by the statute defining the offense charged. The desirability and urgency of such conduct may not rest upon considerations pertaining to the morality and advisability of such statute, either in its general or particular application.
II. When the actor was reckless or negligent in bringing about the circumstances requiring a choice of harms or in appraising the necessity of his conduct, the justification provided in paragraph I does not apply in a prosecution for any offense for which recklessness or negligence, as the case may be, suffices to establish criminal liability.
Source. 1971, 518:1, eff. Nov. 1, 1973.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:03 PM   #110
fatlazyless

Default ....dial 911!

Back in 1971, cell phones didn't exist but now there's no excuse for not phoning your attorney for an opinion, before proceeding. With a cell phone, everyone is excused from having any personal responcibility. Hey, just phone 911......24/7......and qualified help is right there! Am I correct?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:55 PM   #111
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Next question: For trailers built before directional signals were required, what's the universal hand signal for signaling a right hand turn?
Right arm out the right window?

Ok, if your right arm is too short...

You put your left arm out the left window. Make it straight from your shoulder to your elbow, bend your elbow up so your hand points straight up.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:37 PM   #112
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
....In NH they throw in a curve ball.....
Agreed. I'm having a little deja-vu here.

RSA 270-D:2 is a little confusing.

This part:
IV. When vessels are running in the same direction and the vessel which is astern desires to pass the other, it shall do so only when sufficient distance between the vessels is available to avoid danger of collision, and at such a speed that its wake will not endanger the boat being passed or its occupants. No person operating a vessel shall abruptly change its course without first determining that it can safely be done without crossing immediately ahead of another vessel.

and this part:

VII. When a vessel is given the right-of-way, such vessel shall hold its course and maintain such speed as the circumstances prudently permit.

Pretty much align with the stand-on vessel in a passing situation rules everyone else uses.

And it kind of conflicts with:

VI. (a) To provide full visibility and control and to prevent their wake from being thrown into or causing excessive rocking to other boats, barges, water skiers, aquaplanes or other boats, rafts or floats, all vessels shall maintain headway speed when within 150 feet from:
...(6) Other vessels...

But Saf-C 400 has a specific $68 fine for violating part VI. But no fine for either part IV or VII.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:28 AM   #113
ApS

Smile Bondage with your trailer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
"...Pretty sure cables handle shock loads better than chains and would probably be an upgrade to any trailer. I know the breaking limit of plain steel cable is roughly 5 to 6 times the working load limit of the same diameter proof coil chain. I like the way cables self coil too..."
1) Sailors know that there are cables...and there are cables: Neither show particularly well that they have been dangerously compromised. Stressed cables (or sailboat shrouds/halyards) can unravel or reveal "fishhooks", indicating a severe weakness.

Like knots in rope, cable ends are especially important: Swaged cable ends are far superior to clamps, but neither connector can be counted on when the cable has any plastic coating, such as found on self-coiling cable.

A chain that has been compromised will stretch, but only an expert's eye (or measure) can determine if the chain is still safe. Tow truck operators will give away stressed chain (if you're using it for securing a canoe to a tree, say).

2) I discovered first hand why trailer chains should be crossed: If they are not crossed, and the towing vehicle's hitch requires a longer length of chain than provided by the trailer, the entire "safety-chain rig" can be compromised in a sharp turn. (You can straighten the hook, skew the eye, or even bend the trailer neck).

Crossed chains self-cancel the effect of a sharp turn. The "cradle-effect" is a bonus.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:14 AM   #114
Orion

Default padlock open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandAl
I always padlock open (unless I have a lock that blocks the underside of the receiver...preferred!). The reason is that leaves the thief no way to secure the trailer on the ball. If you padlock the lock closed, all it takes is a 7/8" socket wrench to loosen the receiver nut, put the trailer on the hitch, then tighten the nut back up!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:58 PM   #115
islandAl

Default Correct

Orion has it right. But there are a lot of folks that do not realize that. They think it's locked so I'm safe. Only take a minute or so to loosen, put on your hitch and retighten and now it looks like you are the rightful owner because the trailer is padlocked onto your vehicle.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #116
GWC...

Food for thought...

http://www.trailerlock.com/five.html

Old 03-17-2006, 10:16 PM   #117
trfour

Thumbs up A fantastic boating information thread!!!!

I've been following along here on this thread since it started and I have another question to add, If I may.

You are riding along at 20 knots, and the engine just quits. The question that I have is for one, two or more engined crafts.

What is the first thing the operater should do?

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #118
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Question 1st, I'd ask my wife what she did :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour
You are riding along at 20 knots, and the engine just quits. The question that I have is for one, two or more engined crafts.

I'd probably make some sort of muttering noises.
I might look around, maybe for an alien... 'er, make that extra terrestrial craft.

First thing I'd do is check my "Man Overboard" switch (or whatever you call that kill switch at the helm).
I probably yanked on the lanyard and pulled the clip from the switch so, I'd check that first.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.

Last edited by Skipper of the Sea Que; 03-18-2006 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Read Skips Post - It's happened to me more than once
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #119
Skip

Default I'm with Al....

....cause I've lost track of the times I've popped the lanyard myself! It's my own fault, on many occasions I'll site atop a throwable cushion and the edge of the cushion will push the lanyard out just enough to stop the engine....keep telling the wife I need a new boat with better seats to overcome this predicament and, err since this is a family website, I'll let you imagine her response!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:23 PM   #120
islandAl

Default First thing

Take a fast look around to see if you need to wave off/sound horn warn anyone. You just changed speed abrubtly and someone that may have been doing the same speed following you, may need quick course change.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:32 AM   #121
trfour

Wink All good answers Guys...

Turn Off All electrical power.

This could save your life.

A friend and I took his 36' Sonic with twin 550 HP MerCruisers out for a spin and the starboard engine quit just after geting up to around 20 knots. He was driving, (no other boat traffic), and wanted to try to make it back in on the port engine. I told him to shut down all power right away. I checked the engine compartment and a fuel line had ruptured and there was enough gas and fumes in the bilge so that we might have made it to the moon, before getting back to shore.

Get my drift?

PS- About 15 to 20 minutes later, my friend had been on the radio calling for help, when for the love of the lord,and a little luck on our side, a sport fisher by the name of ( Bimini~Twist ) happened along, threw us a line and towed us into port.
We winched his boat onto his trailer and brought it back to his garage, drained and cleaned the bilge, replaced all of the fuel lines.

One of the Bimini~Twist's catches pictured below dressed out at just under 1000 LBS.

Thanks, T.

( Captain John Preti JR. )..... and the one that didn't get away!
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 03-19-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:47 AM   #122
SIKSUKR

Default That ain't no rock bass!!

I thought I saw a big fin poking through the water by Timber Island last August!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #123
trfour

Post Got That Right, SIKSUKR!!

It was a bluefin Tuna, which at the time, paid $38.50 a pound!!

I was told that the Bimini made a special sound under water that acually attracted these huge fish. Father and Son, Team Preti, do quite well during Tuna season, and have paid off a few boats & homes over the years.

A special thanks to Misty Blue, for this thread, and the rest of you!!

This thread has sure lived up to it's title!!

T.

Father and Son, Team Preti
Attached Images

Last edited by trfour; 03-26-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:04 AM   #124
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Another point to consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour

Good points made by all Al's (and trfour) above I'll try to add another thought and say this is one of those situations where you also need to think about where you are and the wind conditions. If you're in windy waters and being blown towards the rocks (and there are always rocks !) you might consider dropping the anchor pretty quickly, before you get bogged down into some lengthy diagnostic session. You need to pay out enough rode for the anchor to hold and the time to think about this is before you get 20' from the rocks. Without power you don't get a go-around to try again.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:04 AM   #125
Misty Blue

Default We are thinking out there!

Orion: Good info on the trailer hitch lock. That was a new one for me!

Me N Mac: Tha-anks for getting the work out about anchoring a disabled boat. It never fails, wether I am wearing blue or red, when I go out for an assist the people never seem to remember to lower (not throw out) the anchor and to put on their PFDs!

I don't know. Whan they bought this stuff and put it on their boats just when did they expect to use it? Trust me. When your engine konks out, that is a good time.

Spring is in the air and it is time to spread some more knowledge!

OK. Your boat has been sitting on it's trailer since Columbus day. Now it's time to get her ready for your first day underway. How about some good advice on getting her ready to get wet. You know; like charging the batteries and cleaning the terminals, bilge plug any body?

Misty Blue
Old 03-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #126
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
Spring is in the air and it is time to spread some more knowledge!

OK. Your boat has been sitting on it's trailer since Columbus day. Now it's time to get her ready for your first day underway. How about some good advice on getting her ready to get wet.
Misty Blue
Don't forget the trailer:

Tire pressure and how about a a squirt of grease for the bearing buddies?

Lights work?

How about that electric winch?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:04 AM   #127
Pine Island Guy

Default and a happy birthday (yesterday I believe)

to the "Captain Fun Boating Quiz"... MISTY BLUE!!!

cheers

PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:55 AM   #128
Phantom

Our Spring rituals call for a "Full shampoo & Bath" --

Although we always wash the boat exterior in the fall -- Spring time brings a full interior and exteroir going through -- the interior gets a complete detailing and the carpets shampoo'd -- the exterior gets a good coat of wax - especially below the water line. All the (life) Jackets get an inspection - part of the cleaning process and the medical kit is re-stocked -- anchors, lines, flashlights etc are returned to the boat from their winter storage in the basement.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote