Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
XCR-700

Default Trash on hiways

Anyone else notice the volume of trash on the sides of the highways getting much worse in the last year or two???

Its off the charts at any on ramp, as if people coming from any place of business that sold food or beverages ate just tossing their trash as soon as they hit the hiway, and its still bad near any ramps near malls or shopping plazas, etc, just worse near places that see any food to go.

I thought this was a problem largely behind us, but in the last 5 years or so its been on the rise and much much worse recently.

Seriously who is doing this and why? Its just so sickening to see.

Is this poorly raised millennials, immigrants with totally different values, lazy slobs who should know better, cranky old guys who are just pissed off at everything, who? Why?? How is this acceptable to anyone???

It cant be just me seeing this.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (08-23-2021), subaruliving (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
GodSmile

Default I've noticed also

Seems worse 'in season'.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GodSmile For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (08-23-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Anyone else notice the volume of trash on the sides of the highways getting much worse in the last year or two???

Its off the charts at any on ramp, as if people coming from any place of business that sold food or beverages ate just tossing their trash as soon as they hit the hiway, and its still bad near any ramps near malls or shopping plazas, etc, just worse near places that see any food to go.

I thought this was a problem largely behind us, but in the last 5 years or so its been on the rise and much much worse recently.

Is this poorly raised millennials, immigrants with totally different values, lazy slobs who should know better, cranky old guys who are just pissed off at everything, who? Why?? How is this acceptable to anyone???

More people = more trash. I haven't really noticed it to be worse than past years but it very well could be.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:10 PM   #4
XCR-700

Realizing the majority of trash laden roads I am seeing are inside 495, so some of you may not be seeing what I am.

Its so sad to see this horrible situation come back.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:28 PM   #5
Loub52

Quote:

I’ve seen the same. It’s worse this year than the last several. Just more people. Very appreciative of NH town and state highway departments for their work maintaining the roadways throughout the year.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loub52 View Post
I’ve seen the same. It’s worse this year than the last several. Just more people. NH DOT will do their usual great job at cleaning things up in the lulls.
Wish the people doing this would move to NYC or Chicago or similar. Not that the 128 beltway was ever "pretty" but its really sad lately.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #7
TheTimeTraveler

Provides job security for the guards and prisoners of the Department of Corrections........
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:20 PM   #8
Winilyme

Quote:

I would add the word 'disgusting' so that you have 'disgusting lazy slobs' to describe these people. I feel the same about those who toss cigarettes out their car windows.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-12-2021), XCR-700 (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 08:22 PM   #9
Tank151

Quote:
Wish the people doing this would move to NYC or Chicago or similar. Not that the 128 beltway was ever "pretty" but its really sad lately.
It's funny how this guy blames Massachusetts residents for everything. New Hampshire residents have to look in the mirror just as much as other folks from bordering states as WE could make the same claim for NH residents working in MASS dumping their DD coffee cups and wrapper's all over Rte. 1, 95, 93 and 3...

Mass residents contribute, but so do NH residents (as well as other states)... lets "share" the responsibility and retain our trash and dispose of it properly!

Thanks
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #10
dickiej

Two things I have never been inclined to do…..liter and vandalize. I saw someone in a McDonald’s parking lot, five feet from a trash barrel, open their window and throw all their trash out on the pavement. Is there a psychological profile that these people fit?
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #11
dickiej

BTW….you should see Portland, OR….it is a s***hole of epic proportions.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:20 PM   #12
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Two things I have never been inclined to do…..liter and vandalize. I saw someone in a McDonald’s parking lot, five feet from a trash barrel, open their window and throw all their trash out on the pavement. Is there a psychological profile that these people fit?
Its like society is coming unglued these days,,,
Old 08-13-2021, 07:16 AM   #13
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

What about these morons who dump the rest of their undrunk(?) coffee (or other beverage) out the car window when they are in a parking space? Don't they realize that the next person to use the space has to walk through this puddle of coffee to get out of their car? It's disgusting.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #14
lakeadoodle

Default Trash & Junk

Quote:

I see it too. The towns around the lakes region used to be much cleaner and picked up. You're right, highways and town roads are littered with trash, even the town park cans and dog poop cans are not used. Yards are junky too; some homeowners just don't care and nor do town staff. This area used to be pristine and attractive - sadly it is no longer.
lakeadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeadoodle View Post
I see it too. The towns around the lakes region used to be much cleaner and picked up. You're right, highways and town roads are littered with trash, even the town park cans and dog poop cans are not used. Yards are junky too; some homeowners just don't care and nor do town staff. This area used to be pristine and attractive - sadly it is no longer.
Interestingly, I was just thinking to myself how things have seemed cleaner this summer than last. Most of that comes from my experiences on the trail and in my association, but I've not had jarring enough moments outside of those two to think differently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:32 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

We cruise our road on my Gator garden tractor to clean up a little. Bud Lite and Twisted Tea seem to be the favorites.

The Bud Lite guy is like clockwork..........6-8 cans on the way out on Sunday, spread out about 50' apart.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:29 AM   #17
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
We cruise our road on my Gator garden tractor to clean up a little. Bud Lite and Twisted Tea seem to be the favorites.

The Bud Lite guy is like clockwork..........6-8 cans on the way out on Sunday, spread out about 50' apart.
Sounds like its time for a camera!
Old 08-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #18
Woody38

Trash is always a problem mostly or mainly stemming from visitors who don't care and also believe it is our jog to look after them. Had the same thing when we lived on Cape Cod. The first weekend of the summer season the road sides were lined with beer cans, even a few wine bottles. Not surprising there was never an empty hard liquor bottle. Hmm. Surely most was from the younger set.

I am a retrired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:23 PM   #19
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Trash is always a problem mostly or mainly stemming from visitors who don't care and also believe it is our jog to look after them. Had the same thing when we lived on Cape Cod. The first weekend of the summer season the road sides were lined with beer cans, even a few wine bottles. Not surprising there was never an empty hard liquor bottle. Hmm. Surely most was from the younger set.
I must live in an older neighborhood. Our Adopt-a-Road group collects lots of "nips". Not as much trash as in previous years.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote