Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
Boatdreams1984

Default Slip rental research

Short of calling every marina and yacht club on Winnipesaukee, I thought I would ask you fine folks for your thoughts/knowledge/opinion/experience on boat slip (or valet slip) seasonal rentals. Checked out West Alton Marina this weekend and wasn't in love with the high volume of boat traffic to and from the marina and sand bar and the channel to the water. Any spots you guys recommend? I live in Concord and am curious what type of pricing is out there? Thanks for those that share their knowledge!
Boatdreams1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdreams1984 View Post
Short of calling every marina and yacht club on Winnipesaukee, I thought I would ask you fine folks for your thoughts/knowledge/opinion/experience on boat slip (or valet slip) seasonal rentals. Checked out West Alton Marina this weekend and wasn't in love with the high volume of boat traffic to and from the marina and sand bar and the channel to the water. Any spots you guys recommend? I live in Concord and am curious what type of pricing is out there? Thanks for those that share their knowledge!
Honestly, forget pricing, availability is the biggest obstacle as nothing seems to be available anywhere this year. Best bet is to get your name in at every place on whatever side of the lake you want to be on...as an FYI, West Alton has a pretty good reputation of taking care of their people, maybe not the quietest but still a good place to slip!

Good luck in your search!

Dan
Old 07-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Good luck finding a slip--the few I've seen come up in the last couple weeks have been swamped with interest and gone in minutes. The only ones hanging around have been grossly overpriced, but even those go--just takes a couple more days!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

You guys beat me to it! I was going to point out the same thing. Slips are hard to come by this year. If you put your name in now maybe something opens up for next season.
I would imagine rack space is still available but I'm sure it's at a premium since all the slips are full.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:44 PM   #5
codeman671

Even rack storage is full from what I have been hearing. Better put your name on a list for next season.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Some marinas who sell boats will take your name but you will not get a commitment from most of them until after the boat shows next year. They want to see how many boats they sell to people who need slips. They don't want to lose a sale because of the lack of available slips.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:34 PM   #7
Woody38

Give Parker Marine call. I understand they have a rental available today.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:10 PM   #8
Grove84

I have been at Paugus Bay Marina since 2005. I started with a 22' Chris Craft valet and rack stored and now have a 280 Formula valeted there . Weekends valet can be busy but I have never waited longer than 20 minutes. Weekdays - afternoons drop in and go. Great place right by lake port gas dock as well . I had a slip for 5 years and gave it up for valet at PBM, cheaper and boat stays a lot cleaner
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:37 PM   #9
kawishiwi

Default Drive to Long Island?

If you are willing to drive to Long Island you can get a slip for next season. I believe naturalretreats.com, which bought preferred properties rentals, has been the manager of slips for rent @ Quayside Yacht Club which is next to Trexlers at the Long Island bridge. Most slips are rented by Jan 1. Its been about $1800 for a 21 or 22 boat. Maybe $2400 for 24/26 ft boat. I would call the local naturalretreats office now to get your name in. But DO NOT TRUST them to follow up with you. Call each month till November then pester them weekly.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Welcome

Boatdreams1984, Welcome to the Forum.

You don't say if you own a boat, or what size/type. This would impact the type of marina and facilities that you are looking for. Do you need year round storage or summer only?
If you are planning to commute from Concord, that's one thing. If you will be renting a (non-waterfront) camp, that's a different set of issues. Presumably, if you rent waterfront, there's a dock.

Maybe a boat club is the answer? http://akwamarina.com/ Lots of choices there.

Unlike many, I use rack storage in the winter and in the summer I have a dock. I suspect there are some who pay for summer valet and trailer the boat home for the winter, so I think if you valet store for the winter, you've got a head start in staying there for the next summer.

Mostly, I don't think you'll find a lot of gho here, don't go there, on this forum. Most of us are happy where we are, or we move. It is easier to get your foot in the door someplace so you can enjoy the boa, and then keep your eyes open if you want to relocate.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:33 AM   #11
Boatdreams1984

Thanks for your input everyone. I guess I should have mentioned, yes I own a 19 foot Hurricane. I'm trailering from my home in Concord to Winnipesaukee now. I was doing the research mostly to figure out what the slip options/pricing/recommendations were to pursue slip storage for the 2018 boating season. But learning things like storing at the same place over the winter may give you first priority for slip rental the following season etc is really helpful knowledge for a first time owner here. I had planned to have the boat wrapped and stored on my property for the winter. Thanks for your insights, and if that clarifies my inquiry please don't hesitate to add more info. Sounds like my first step is to start calling and asking about 2018 rental availability/ wait list....
Boatdreams1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #12
Descant

For my 24 footer, the cost to shrink wrap and store on a trailer is about the same as putting it on a rack, so I go for the rack as it lets me stay later and start earlier in the season.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
For my 24 footer, the cost to shrink wrap and store on a trailer is about the same as putting it on a rack, so I go for the rack as it lets me stay later and start earlier in the season.
How much is rack storage for the winter?
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #14
Old Sarge

It was $800.00 for a 24" boat in the rack for the winter two years ago at Mountain View. It probably went up $100.00 last year (my indoor storage with Irwin did).
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #15
Descant

Default Member/renter orno-m em ber

MVYC members get a break on the prices.
Outdoor storage is "free". (lift fees still apply, $4/lineal foot unless you have a trailer and haul it yourself) Other fees (winterize, clean, oil change, etc still apply)
Rack storage I think was $1/sq ft and shrink wrap was $1.60 s.f.
There are storage rates for non-members, $2.75 sf, but I would imagine availability is very low, if not no-existent.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #16
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
MVYC members get a break on the prices.
Outdoor storage is "free". (lift fees still apply, $4/lineal foot unless you have a trailer and haul it yourself) Other fees (winterize, clean, oil change, etc still apply)
Rack storage I think was $1/sq ft and shrink wrap was $1.60 s.f.
There are storage rates for non-members, $2.75 sf, but I would imagine availability is very low, if not no-existent.
Only owners or renters are allowed to store at MVYC so you would need a relationship with the club before you could store there. Many people with boats at MVYC use Ron's Fiberglassing for shrink wrap or repairs and Signature Marine for winterizing or mechanical work. Both of them do excellent work.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote