Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
JoeG

Default South Down Shores

Looking to buy here and heard that all the units are run differently within the association. I heard there are some well run ones and not so well run. Would anyone enlighten me on which may be a good one without bad mouthing another? Thanks in advance.
JoeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
Belmont Resident

Default Observations

Joe, I have done and continue to do a lot of painting in the Southdown/Longbay area.
Yes many of the groups in their are individual associations while a lot of the homes are stand alone. No matter where you buy you have a set of rules you abide by that govern the area as a whole outside of the individual association rules.
As for the individual associations they all have their own ways of doing things and you are at the mercy of the elected board when it comes to how things are done or prioritized. Do your homework and research past history.
I will not get into any detail as I do not live there, but I will say that while I am very happy doing work for homeowners and have a very high satisfaction rating there, I refuse to waste my time estimating jobs for any of the associations in SD or LB.
Good luck with your search.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
brk-lnt

If you drive through SouthDown you'll see a number of sub-areas that each have a name and a theme of some sort. Golf Village (where we own), The Highlands, The Gables, The Meadows, etc.

You pay an association fee to Southdown, which covers the overall common areas (main roads, walking paths, beach, greenspace by the water, plowing, and so forth). There is a board for Southdown which also sets the major rules and regulations (eg: they are overly anal about golf carts for some reason), and then each village has its own board and finances.

For the most part the individual villages mostly deal with maintain aesthetics of their village, rental restrictions, any issues related to parking and so forth. There isn't a ton of latitude to go beyond the general Southdown policies. The biggest thing is the finances of each village. Some are very well funded and managed (Golf Village being one of these), others not so much. If you haven't purchased a condo before, you want to look out for things like are they accruing enough money for the "big" expenses (painting, roofing, paving), and also have there been lots of special assessments over the years. I believe that there are also some issues with mortgage qualification if the condo's finances are not secure, so you might want to check into that as well.

Overall we've been happy at Southdown for the 7 or so years we've been there. It's not "perfect", but IMO no association is because the nosy busybodies that have too much free time are the ones that seem to seek out the positions of pseudo-power (sorry if my biases show through ) But, I can't think of anything that has really been anything more than mildly irritating, and it's all things that we knew going in. We get ample use out of the marina and the overall grounds for walking the dogs and such. It's nice to be able to just go sit by the water, or walk through the local trails or do things that you don't have to leave the property to enjoy.

As an added bonus, Tavern27 is basically right outside Southdown and makes for an easy lunch or dinner getaway via golf cart.
Belmont Resident (03-18-2013), Rusty (03-20-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Homeowners Association

Many of the associations are 'over anal' on rules and regulation. Some are run by outside management and some are run by the homeowners. Some have good financial background and some don't. If you want to live in an association you need to do your homework.

Most of the associations were formed before the Baby Boomers came on the scene. The new generation is looking for different amenities than the past generation. Try and find an association that will allow storage of boat, trailer, RV, snowmachines, personal watercrafts etc. They are few. Some associations don't even have guest parking!

Many realtors in the area may have the rules and regulations of a particular associations and I find they don't have all the amendments. It will be wise to approach the association and ask for the rules and regulations including amendments as well as finance history. Most, but not all will have the info handy. Be suspicious of the ones that gives you the run around. If possible talk to someone other than the seller about the association.

Southdown/LongBay had many units on Foreclosure/short sale in the past few years. Foreclosures usually results in association fees not being paid so it is really not fair to fault the association. You can look into this.

Southdown/LongBay units were built by various builders in the area. Some units are well built and some needs a lot to be desire. So there is a lot of homework. Roche Realty and or the owners are not always truthful in their disclosure. Good Luck on you relocation.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Winnisquamguy

I have been in an association for a few years and its very hard to get 24 people to agree on things. Like someone said earlier you have the ones that don't work so they are nosy about everyone's business.You also have to remember when you're in an and association it's best to make friends first not enemies.Make sure you read the rules and then reread the rules! Talk to the president or the board of directors before signing anything. Good Luck!

Last edited by Winnisquamguy; 03-19-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Winnisquamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Hard thing to deal with when it comes to associations is you never know what they may do in the future.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Belmont Resident

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Hard thing to deal with when it comes to associations is you never know what they may do in the future.
IMHO at least 1/2 the board or the president should have to be made up of full time residents. People who have second homes just do not have the same agenda as someone who has to live there all the time does.
I worked with one board in SD, had a great reputation as well as a working relationship and was in line for a painting contract. With multiple bids and all being close but me having performed work for the association as well as many of the full time resident. It was an election year, the painting contract was put on hold till spring. New board was elected with a completely new board.
The new board decided to bring in a contractor friend from southern NH and give him the contract. Last I heard the residents were not happy with the work. Twice this has happened, the other time the association brought in a painting contractor from another state.
That was the last time I put in a bid for association work and unless I'm starving, the last time I ever will. Most reputable painters in this area feel the same way about associations.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Default When it comes to contracts

Most board members do not have a clue what should or should not be in a contract. Originally Wildwood was stained. About a decade ago, someone convince the board it was cheaper to spray paint the buildings. That did not go well at all as there were over spray everywhere. The original paint has been chipping and peeling ever since!

The board was told by another contractor to pressure wash the units and restain. Because they stained too soon, there was a moisture problem. I can go on and on. I gave them advice and a subcontractor convinced them otherwise. Last summer they finally took my advise and began a long slow and expensive process to do it the right way.

Sometimes an association can spend money foolishly.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Red apple

We have been in SDS for three years and have been very happy. It is great to come up on a Friday night and not shovel and in the summer being able to enjoy the time at the lake without the hassle of house chores. Don't get me wrong if that is what you like then a condo is not for you but it works great for us. The cost of ownership we feel (others will comment I'm sure) is worth it. The SDS fee is about $1k per and year add that to the $300 a month condo fee total of $4600.00 year. At my main house we spend more than that on landscaping and plowing alone now add in the Roof, doors, windows siding and painting. Each condo area is different on what is included in the Fee but ours covers all that listed and includes everything outside of the studs in the house so we think its a great way to live with the fixed expenses of the condo Fee. Good luck with you're search
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red apple For This Useful Post:
Rusty (03-20-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Rusty

What does winning or losing a contract to paint in an association or pressure washing and staining have to do with how well an association is run. Contractors who win the bid will be happy and the ones that lose will be unhappy.
I think the OP wants to know things like forum members "brk-lnt" and "Red apple" have stated. They have first hand experience because they own property there.

Read the covenants, restrictions, easements, by-laws, and rules & regulations real well. If you can live with all of those things being imposed on you then go for it.
There is no way that I would be able to have such restrictions on my freedom and way of living. Not only that but you pay to have these imposed on you.

Read these real thoroughly:

http://southdownshores.businesscatal...aspx?ID=109973

http://southdownshores.businesscatal...aspx?ID=147558
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default my point was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
What does winning or losing a contract to paint in an association or pressure washing and staining have to do with how well an association is run. Contractors who win the bid will be happy and the ones that lose will be unhappy.
I think the OP wants to know things like forum members "brk-lnt" and "Red apple" have stated. They have first hand experience because they own property there.

Read the covenants, restrictions, easements, by-laws, and rules & regulations real well. If you can live with all of those things being imposed on you then go for it.
There is no way that I would be able to have such restrictions on my freedom and way of living. Not only that but you pay to have these imposed on you.

Read these real thoroughly:

http://southdownshores.businesscatal...aspx?ID=109973

http://southdownshores.businesscatal...aspx?ID=147558
As stated in another post. You have an association board that is all set to do things and then an election throws all the hard work the previous board had done right out the window and to top it off you have a new board that brings in their buddies from out of the area to do the work.
I guess what I was trying to say without saying it directly is that it isn't about quality work as much as it is bringing in their friends.
As for loosing a bid, it happens all the time, I hold no grudges what so ever.
I rarely have a problem with finding work during the summer. Spring isn't even here and my schedule is booked till early fall.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
As stated in another post. You have an association board that is all set to do things and then an election throws all the hard work the previous board had done right out the window and to top it off you have a new board that brings in their buddies from out of the area to do the work.
I guess what I was trying to say without saying it directly is that it isn't about quality work as much as it is bringing in their friends.
I rarely have a problem with finding work during the summer. Spring isn't even here and my schedule is booked till early fall.
Sounds like what goes on in Washington...and Concord too!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
gtagrip (03-21-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
JoeG

Quote:
My original post was just trying to get a feel of if I were to buy. Your painting woes don't really help. But I understand.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeG For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (03-20-2013), Irrigation Guy (03-21-2013), Rusty (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Irish Choppers

Default South Down Shores

Hi Joe,

Although I ended up in Meredith I also really liked South Down Shores. I spent a lot of time researching the different villages and found the Golf Villas to be a terrific value. The ability to purchase a boat rack for $5,000 sure beats the $40,000 or more you'll pay for a slip around the lake and while your not in town your boat will be "tucked away". Sure your going to pay fees but when you end up factoring the total cost of being on the lake you'll find South Down to be a good value. In the end, it was the Meredith that sold me on Meredith. It's just a fantastic place to enjoy, restaurants, bars, shopping, boating, and all within walking distance of my place. Good luck with your search and once you've made your decision never look back. Even though I can't get to Meredith as much as I'd like, my heart is alway there! All the best... Mickey
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Choppers For This Useful Post:
Rusty (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
Belmont Resident

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
My original post was just trying to get a feel of if I were to buy. Your painting woes don't really help. But I understand.
Joe, you and Rusty are on the same page.
I wasn't making it about MY painting woes it was about how the boards can flip flop on important things like maintenance. I could go on about other things but obviously your not looking for this type of information so good luck.
BR
Old 03-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
JoeG

Quote:
Joe, you and Rusty are on the same page.
I wasn't making it about MY painting woes it was about how the boards can flip flop on important things like maintenance. I could go on about other things but obviously your not looking for this type of information so good luck.
BR
I do appreciate your help and sent you a PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Sounds like what goes on in Washington...and Concord too!!
You stole my thunder, I was going to say the exact samething!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
HAMPTONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
Looking to buy here and heard that all the units are run differently within the association. I heard there are some well run ones and not so well run. Would anyone enlighten me on which may be a good one without bad mouthing another? Thanks in advance.
I live in South Downs and have for 10 years as a secondary home. Love everything about it. Own in the Hamptons-previously in Golf village.Hope to retire there in another couple of years. PM me if you want more info
HAMPTONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So here is the thing about associations, they are only as good as the people that get involved allow them to be. I own a condo in Mass. and on of the problems is getting people involved. And I am sure it is no different in NH. The more people that are involved the more voices that are heard, the more effectively the money is spent.

Now BH brought up a very good point, about boards listening to people... IMHO what makes a board work is having members that recognize each others strong and weak points. I am personally on my Condo board, and while I don't speak up on Legal and beautification issues, I do speak up on Engineering and technical issue. The rest of the board understands that this is my strong point and listen... Sure it took a little time to earn their trust but I did... So now just like I don't question legal and beautification issue they don't question my technical expertise... But to find a good mix on our board has taken time... and unfortunately their haven't always been enough people involved.

If you are looking to buy into an association, do your homework. Attend a board meeting, review financial etc. Make sure you know what your getting into.. Also most importantly make sure the association is planning for the future.
Belmont Resident (03-26-2013), BroadHopper (03-26-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
donnamatrix

Default Good advice from LIforrelaxin

We had condo at Fields Crossing for several years (and boat rack) at South Down. LIforrelaxin is correct: The board members for each "village" are really important... people need to get involved-it's a thankless job. My husband was on board at FC, we had a guy banging on our door at midnight because a lightbulb was burned out on the road. Initially, the condo fees at FC were so small that when it came time to do repairs, there were insufficient funds in the reserve, and we had to each absorb a rather large assessment. Everything that has been done by previous boards has an impact on what is happening now and will happen in the future. That being said, we enjoyed our time at SDS. It has alot to offer (ski trails, beach, etc.) and is close to everthing. Good luck with your new home, wherever it ends up being located.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 AM   #21
W Clarke

Default Condo boards

Think very hard about living by rules made by a select group of people. The people change and their friends usually get their way. It is much too political for many people yet others thrive on that type of home owner government until it directly affects them. Some people love SDS while others do not.

Just remember that even if something (anal) is not in their rules today it can be there tomorrow.

I liked Belmont Resident's comments. His experience shows how things can work or not work.

Good luck to you.
W Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #22
Belmont Resident

Default What happened to the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
If you drive through SouthDown you'll see a number of sub-areas that each have a name and a theme of some sort. Golf Village (where we own), The Highlands, The Gables, The Meadows, etc.

You pay an association fee to Southdown, which covers the overall common areas (main roads, walking paths, beach, greenspace by the water, plowing, and so forth). There is a board for Southdown which also sets the major rules and regulations (eg: they are overly anal about golf carts for some reason), and then each village has its own board and finances.

For the most part the individual villages mostly deal with maintain aesthetics of their village, rental restrictions, any issues related to parking and so forth. There isn't a ton of latitude to go beyond the general Southdown policies. The biggest thing is the finances of each village. Some are very well funded and managed (Golf Village being one of these), others not so much. If you haven't purchased a condo before, you want to look out for things like are they accruing enough money for the "big" expenses (painting, roofing, paving), and also have there been lots of special assessments over the years. I believe that there are also some issues with mortgage qualification if the condo's finances are not secure, so you might want to check into that as well.

Overall we've been happy at Southdown for the 7 or so years we've been there. It's not "perfect", but IMO no association is because the nosy busybodies that have too much free time are the ones that seem to seek out the positions of pseudo-power (sorry if my biases show through ) But, I can't think of anything that has really been anything more than mildly irritating, and it's all things that we knew going in. We get ample use out of the marina and the overall grounds for walking the dogs and such. It's nice to be able to just go sit by the water, or walk through the local trails or do things that you don't have to leave the property to enjoy.

As an added bonus, Tavern27 is basically right outside Southdown and makes for an easy lunch or dinner getaway via golf cart.
I noticed that the new guy in town did the paving on the main road through SD. I know it isn't the top coat but I've also never seen a road degrade as fast and as bad as it did. Thoughts?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #23
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Never lived at SD but had some experience in a similar community in Florida.
Board of directors were a tight knit group of year round owners who set rules to their liking. If they wanted new tennis courts or bike trails, they simply voted them in while the seasonal residents were away and we all got the assessment in the mail.....and in Florida, assessments have the same stature as a mortgage and have to be paid.
It seemed as though the community was their life. Most of them constantly patroled in golf carts and heaven help you if you planted a shrub, made a small improvement or parked a boat trailer in your driveway overnight.
Couldn't get out of there fast enough and now we have a single family home with great neighbors. Nice to hear kids playing again...people going to work, retiree's puttering outside......some even working on their boats (horrors)
Back to normal and loving it.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I don't like condos either. I would never live in one. I am a board member of one right now where we own but don't live. I can tell you that I really don't have much to say about what happens. The president pretty much decides and tells us what will be. Since I don't live there, it doesn't bother me too much and she is pretty low key and doesn't spend all her time thinking up new rules, but from this experience it makes me feel even stronger that I would not like to live in a condo. As soon as the economy comes back, we will sell this condo. It can't be soon enough for me.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #25
BroadHopper

Default Agree with Samiam

The association I am in now is not as bad the homeowners association in Florida that I use to belong, but still up on the chart.

I am begining to think the board is jealous that you have 'toys' that they don't have. Just try and park a 'toys' trailer for even 15 minutes and you will get a phone call or rap on the door. I spend a lot of money on outside storage of sea-doo, ski-doo, sailboat, powerboat etc. Even if you park the trailer inside your garage, make sure you close the door and no one see you park your 'toys' in the association. The association is even anal about a kayak or paddleboard. Jeez!

What good is it to join a lakeside association when they don't allow water toys?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #26
laketrout

Quote:

I agree, lived there for 6 years, the only problem is you have to drive on Parade Rd to get to Tavern 27 now.. 2012-13
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #27
laketrout

Default Do you homework

It all depends on what you want in Southdown.
There are condos attached 2-3 units and single "stand-a-lone units" go Stand a lone. I also own lots in Long Bay.
I am a part timer up at Southdown and Long bay.

If you want to rent out your unit weekly: some associations allow some do not and there are pros and cons with that too: For me a weekender and winter visitor I dont care for the weekly rentals unless you get a "detached stand-a-lone condo..

Golf Village, nice has its own pool- allows weekly rentals- can get garage
Gables has Pool and Tennis Court- allows weekly rentals- can get garage
Daw Village nice but smaller- right on the water no garages need to rent a storage unit
Meadows only Monthly rentals- single units nice with garages
Heights- weekly rentals- modern with garages
Fields Crossing monthly rentals. garages newer.
Colonial Village all attached condos no pool some garages.
Hamptons- single detached homes with garages.
Some streets with private homes too.

I would look at Gables, Golf village or Meadows and only look at units that have single detached units- unless you want to hear your neighbor up partying on a Friday night right through the wall.
Just my humble Opinion. Boat club is good- you can buy a boat rack for cheap now 6000 or less they used to be 12000,Condos are cheap too.

Only Downside is the beach not a zero entry but a walk stair way down- still not bad and you have to walk - you park your golf cart half way. Long Bay has easier restrictions on Golf Carts i.e. you can drive the golf cart right to the beach and park it no problems...but Long Bay is mostly Single Family homes.

Bottom line you cant go wrong yeah there is the Board and rules but I have never had an issue all the roads are private so as long as your driving ok no issues. I love SDS and Long Bay. Lots of fun, Love my Golf Cart and Boating. Family and Friends visit during the summer of course & we also ski at Gunstock 6 miles away in the winter. SDS is very affordable "cheap" compared to what it was 5-6 years ago-- right now in my opinion. Before you buy go and visit ask to see a number of villages and check the beach out and the boat club etc..
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
brk-lnt

Quote:
I noticed that the new guy in town did the paving on the main road through SD. I know it isn't the top coat but I've also never seen a road degrade as fast and as bad as it did. Thoughts?
I've noticed that as well. Wasn't sure who did the work, but it is not holding up the way it should.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #29
Belmont Resident

Quote:
I've noticed that as well. Wasn't sure who did the work, but it is not holding up the way it should.
I know who did it and was told he is trying to establish himself in the area and has been undercutting all the competition.
The problem with that is given they all pay the same price for materials so they have to be cutting corners somewhere.
That road is in worse shape then it was before they started.