Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Sunrise Point

Default Major appliance dealers?

We are finally in a position to remodel our kitchen and we are in the market for new appliances; a refrigerator, propane range and dishwasher. I am not in the market for SubZero / Wolff type appliances, something more middle-of-the-road will fit the budget.

Does anyone have recommendations on where to shop in the Lakes area? I am on my way to Barron's now.

Also, we are thinking about an 18" dishwasher instead of a 24" since there are just 2 of us and the space is limited. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks!
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Baron's

Home Depot and Lowes Home Improvement as well as Sears in Concord are the major players in the area.
Sunrise Point (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Blue Thunder

Default Here we go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Home Depot and Lowes Home Improvement as well as Sears in Concord are the major players in the area.
I know that some of us were involved in a similar thread a year or so ago on this subject and it got contentious so all I will say is in MY experience and research, HD and Lowes appliances (and pricing) are not the same quality as those that are found in appliance stores and Sears for that matter. In general, and there are exceptions, the appliances at HD and Lowes are manufactured specifically for them. Slightly cheaper parts and components are used to make their pricing competetive and often cheaper, which makes it tempting to purchase there. I have heard from my own circle of friends many a horror story of an appliance purchase at HD and Lowes....buyer beware.

BT

This is the thread I was referring to: http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/show...ght=appliances
Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Sears

Sears has always worked for us. Their "Kenmore Elite" line of appliances are excellent (not sure who makes them, Whirlpool maybe?) and they service what they sell. Always had a good experience with them.

FWIW;

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I know that some of us were involved in a similar thread a year or so ago on this subject and it got contentious so all I will say is in MY experience and research, HD and Lowes appliances (and pricing) are not the same quality as those that are found in appliance stores and Sears for that matter. In general, and there are exceptions, the appliances at HD and Lowes are manufactured specifically for them. Slightly cheaper parts and components are used to make their pricing competetive and often cheaper, which makes it tempting to purchase there. I have heard from my own circle of friends many a horror story of an appliance purchase at HD and Lowes....buyer beware.

BT

This is the thread I was referring to: http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/show...ght=appliances
I'll say that the Electrolux appliances that I bought from an appliance store on the seacoast, not a big box store, are absolute overpriced pieces of crap...So much for quality.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Happy Gourmand

EXACT same part number equals the EXACT same part, regardless of where you buy it.
Lowe's, HD, Sears, etc do have some machines specifically made for them with part numbers that are not available anywhere else.
Appliances, tractors, lawn mowers, etc......if it's the same part number, it is the SAME.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Sunrise Point

Everyone's viewpoints and advice about repair and warranty work have been noted! That will be my #1 question for all vendors.

I have been considering Electrolux appliances, thinking that this is my last kitchen remodel and was going to go as "upscale" as I could. I read somewhere that their propane stove was manufactured to be used with propane, as opposed to other stove models that are manufactured for natural gas and retrofitted for propane.

Do any others have problems with them? I read consumer reports and they are not too badly rated.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
EXACT same part number equals the EXACT same part, regardless of where you buy it.
Lowe's, HD, Sears, etc do have some machines specifically made for them with part numbers that are not available anywhere else.
Appliances, tractors, lawn mowers, etc......if it's the same part number, it is the SAME.
Agreed, we have done fine at Lowe's and HD on specific models that we have researched prior to entering the store. Most Sears Kenmore products have also been fine except one high efficiency washer made by Whirlpool. More thorough research on our part would have led to avoiding that specific model.

Barron's: On two occasions we given false and misleading info by a salesman in a hard sell for the brand on hand vs one not in stock. I suspect that this was a problem with the individual salesman and probably not the business as a whole. We then got the highly rated product at HD and have been very happy with it.

The overall message is to do your research first no matter what store you plan to visit.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point View Post
Everyone's viewpoints and advice about repair and warranty work have been noted! That will be my #1 question for all vendors.

I have been considering Electrolux appliances, thinking that this is my last kitchen remodel and was going to go as "upscale" as I could. I read somewhere that their propane stove was manufactured to be used with propane, as opposed to other stove models that are manufactured for natural gas and retrofitted for propane.

Do any others have problems with them? I read consumer reports and they are not too badly rated.
I tried to reply to your PM but you do not have messaging turned on. Here is my reply:

Total junk, dont waste a penny on them. We bought the top of the line washer and steam dryer ($3500/pair), dishwasher ($1400) and refrigerator ($3800). We have consistent issues with all of them, starting soon after purchase. It has been a few years and we still have problems, I am getting ready to set up another service call on the fridge, washer and dryer.

The refrigerator has had trim pieces cracking, breaking and falling off the doors which they are not covering. The ice maker has croaked 3 times. The water dispenser has no real flow pressure even though our house has sufficient volume.

The washing machine has had issues with the detergent tray, issues with spinning out, etc. Complete rebuild.

The dryer has had issues with overall drying. This morning it was beeping wildly for no apparent reason during a steam cycle. Door hasnt fit right since day one.

And lastly the dishwasher. It has been completely rebuilt twice. Motor/drive and all...

There have been numerous updates done along the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Sunrise Point (07-12-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point View Post

I just looked at my online subscription to consumer reports and found no brand reliability data for Electrolux stoves or any other Electrolux major kitchen appliances. Also found no performance ratings for Electrolux gas stoves.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default I'll Take Codeman's Word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
I just looked at my online subscription to consumer reports and found no brand reliability data for Electrolux stoves or any other Electrolux major kitchen appliances. Also found no performance ratings for Electrolux gas stoves.
After reading Codeman's post, I think that's the best review out there! How can so many appliances by one manufacturer have that many issues! Obviously they are lacking in the QC department.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Mirror Lake's BB

Default 18 vs 24 inch dishwasher

We picked up a very old (1970's) 18 inch portable dishwasher at a garage sale last summer. It is extremely small compared to a 24 inch and the loading is so inefficient. One large pot in either rack really eats up a lot of space. I don't know if it was due to its age and lack of layout planning or maybe just being portable. Make sure you see one in a show room if you are leaning that way and see if loading will be a problem. (bring your dinner plate) If it were me, I would bump the house out the additional 6" to get the 24 installed. Also, you pay a premium for the 18 inch. I'd go with the 24 inch.
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I won't buy Electrolux again. I posted on another thread that I had a fridge and it didn't work, after going through all summer ordering new parts every two weeks, ordering, waiting for service, ordering, waiting for service, they finally replaced it and the new one didn't work either. The ice maker didn't work but worse, it wouldn't get cold enough. Finally we ended up getting a Bosch and it seems to be fine.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Sunrise Point (07-12-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
songkrai

There is no one brand better then the others. Some models may be better then others.

It's almost hit or miss no matter what brand you choose.

My philosophy is to keep it simple. The less features the better.

I stay away from any Kenmore products only because of parts needed later on. May or may not be an issue as all of Kenmore are manufactured by other companies. But Kenmore uses different part numbers so harder to find when needed.

I try to avoid any appliances manufactured in Mexico or overseas. Made in USA.

You can purchase an 18 cubic foot refrigerator brand name for $399.00 or purchase an 18 cubic foot Sub-Zero for $5,500.00. You still have 18 cubic feet of usable space.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
Sunrise Point

Electrolux EW30GF65G[W] was given 70 points and was checked as "recommended" not as a "best buy". My interest in it was driven by the fact that it was touted as set up for LP gas at the factory, not a natural gas model retro-fitted for LP. They were not listed in the reliability ratings, and I was wondering about that.

Comments here regarding Electrolux have definitely made me very hesitant.

I can switch to a 24" dishwasher size, it will just mean swapping 2 cabinet components in the floor plan. I was thinking that for 2 people, it would be more efficient.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
jrc

My opinion after living with them in the house we built in 2002.

Sub-zero fridge, one repair, but one is too many for a $4000 fridge. Parts were under warantee labor was not. Crappy stainless steel never looks clean.

Bosch Oven, bullet proof, cooks a little too fast on convection till you get used to it. We love it.

Bosch Dishwasher, bullet proof, unbelievably quiet. We love it.

Fisher Paykel Stovetop, utter crap, crappy impossible to clean stainless, auto gas lighter click thing sucks.

Amana washer and dryer, crap from Best Buy, beginning of my now total hated of Best Buy. If you buy something from them and it breaks tough luck, deal with factory and try to get warranty work.

Whirlpool washer and dryer replacements, no glitz, just works and works.

Buy from Sears or your local appliance guy. We use PE Fletcher down here.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
codeman671

At the lake we have had 1 issue with our fridge, a whirlpool. The fan died in the freezer so we lost cooling to the fridge above. Beyond that it has been great. The rest of our appliances have been good. Our basic whirlpool stackable washer and dryer are the best we have ever owned, the fancy ones always seem to crap out. 7 seasons and going strong on all.

Our range at home is a dacor from 02, we had to replace the control panel and the board. Our microwave is a ge advantium, the light will not turn off inside. We have the mate to it at the lake and it has been perfect.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #18
Lakepilot

We have had great luck with our appliances in a house we built in 2003. We have a Wolf gas cooktop, wolf double oven, Sub Zero (best fridge we've ever had), Miele and Bosch dish washers and Bosch clothes washers and dryers. Also have a sub zero bar fridge.

In our condo in Fl. we just put in a new GE clothes washer and dryer to replace older units we were worried about. It's a second floor unit and any leak can cause huge problems to the unit below us. Two weeks after the install the brand new GE washer leaked. We also replaced a GE fridge in the condo. It still worked but the door warped so you had to push it hard to close it. If you didn't it would not close all the way.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #19
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
My opinion after living with them in the house we built in 2002.

Sub-zero fridge, one repair, but one is too many for a $4000 fridge. Parts were under warantee labor was not. Crappy stainless steel never looks clean.

Bosch Oven, bullet proof, cooks a little too fast on convection till you get used to it. We love it.

Bosch Dishwasher, bullet proof, unbelievably quiet. We love it.

Fisher Paykel Stovetop, utter crap, crappy impossible to clean stainless, auto gas lighter click thing sucks.

Amana washer and dryer, crap from Best Buy, beginning of my now total hated of Best Buy. If you buy something from them and it breaks tough luck, deal with factory and try to get warranty work.

Whirlpool washer and dryer replacements, no glitz, just works and works.

Buy from Sears or your local appliance guy. We use PE Fletcher down here.
I agree with you. I don't know why so many people are in love with stainless steel. I hate it. I think it is awful to keep clean.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #20
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I agree with you. I don't know why so many people are in love with stainless steel. I hate it. I think it is awful to keep clean.
Makes a big difference what finish it comes with.When I was picking out mine,my first test before even considering a model was the smudge/fingerprint test.Big differences.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #21
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

We have had great luck at Baron's in Laconia.Their prices are comparable to the box stores but Baron's actually has knowledgeable salespeople and delivery guys who know the product and set it up for you..
Try calling Lowes if you have a problem.After you choose "English" you'll be on the phone for 20 minutes before you get any help.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #22
jrc

To be clear all our kitchen appliances are stainless steel. Most have a very smooth easy to care for finish. The sUb-zero have a very coarse grain. You can't clean it without special stuff and even then it never looks right.

The cooktop is not quite as coarse, but the heat from the burner always yellows the stainless near the base. It will come off but it take dynamite or sand blasting
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
KBoater

Default Major Brands

try Baron's Major Brands in Laconia or concord. Thy service most of the lake. Their competitve with the Big stores.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #24
CateP

Default Barons -Ossipee

I recently bought all new appliances for my kitchen at Barons in Ossipee. They matched any price in Lowes or Home Depot. I did a lot of my own research and chose my own models, which they ordered. All in all a very good experience.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
Sunrise Point (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
Sunrise Point

Default Baron's

I have been to the Baron's here in Belmont and have been very impressed with Linda P. She's very professional and knowledgeable. Now, I just have to make a final decision on brands and I will be all set.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #26
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Tried to buy 20 Refrigerators from Barons in Laconia for work. Never got a call back.
Tried to buy 41 TV's from Barons in Laconia....Never got a call back.
This year called to get pricing on some AC units, never got a call back.....

Personally I will not call them again. They must be doing really well not to want to sell 20 fridges and 41 32" TV's...

Just sayin'.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote