Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Ames Farm

Ventured out with a couple families via boat to Ames Farm for breakfast. On a scale of 1 - 10 the family gave it a 5. The setting and restaurant ambience was a 7. The restaurant had lots of character. I felt like I was at a real old fashioned place which was great. The grounds appeared run down. We were more excited about this place before we headed over than after. So far the family has said that The Waterfall Cafe in the Mills Falls (Meredith) is still #1.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Accurate Review

Coincidentally we tried Ames Farm for the first time yesterday too. (Around 10:30 or so.) Your review is right on. The setting was very pleasant, especially with the historic photos on the many walls. We felt like we took a step back in time, we could easily imagine the whistle of the train bringing tourists to this picturesque destination. Our waitress was excellent. It turns out that she is an island neighbor to us too. As far as the food goes, it was just okay. I ordered two wonderfully fresh eggs with bacon, but two English style sausages came instead. It worked out fine because when the bacon showed up it was not terrific. R-Guy ordered a sausage and cheese omelet, which was the fluffiest omelet ever, but the sausage must have just run through it, so it was basically a cheese omelet. When we go back, we’d just order a side of sausage to supplement the omelet to make it perfect. Lunch may be worth a try too. I do like the choice of breakfast served all day.
The Waterfall Café sounds promising, are they open for breakfast?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Waterfall Cafe

The Waterfall Cafe is a breakfast restaurant located in The Mills Falls Marketplace. They may serve lunch although it is primarily a breakfast place.

Boy I could not agree with you more about the atmosphere at Ames Farm. I just wished the food was better. They had the blandest home fries I've ever had. They need to be spiced up with onions and other spices.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
rrr

Default different opinion

After reading the raves about their blueberry pancakes, we made our first visit to Ames Farm last week. Our waitress was quite nice and very attentive. We both had pancakes and were very happy. The bacon was crispy which is just the way we like it. We are looking forward to going back!
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
fpartri497

Default Ames Farm

Wife and I had breakfast there Tuesday morning and It was the worst breakfast I have ever had. The coffee was undrinkable even after having them make a fresh pot.

I will never go back there for food.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
Captain Zipper

We're supposed to meet friends there tomorrow. I'm not sure whether to go somewhere else now.
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Guy

Capitan Zipper. I plan to go back the next chance I get. I thought it was bright, clean, the people were very friendly. The omelet I had was the fluffiest I have ever had. I am very fussy about coffee and had no problem with what I was served. We all have some bad experiences, even at their favorite spot. Ame's farm seems like a safe bet to me. I will probably bring my parents when they are up next.

My 4 favorite words are "Breakfast served all day".
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
mets3007

I have been going to Ames for the past few years and yes its worth the trip. The place was just repianted this year as it used to be Brown instead of Blue. The food is also good I enjoy the pancakes when I go there and the atmosphere is also very good. The only downside is they are super slow when it is crowded, if you are not in a rush when its crowded then its ok but if you have plans and its crowded might be a good idea to go somewhere else , but when its not crowded ( early mornings like before 830-9am ish) its worth the trip. if we get up late we won't go there and go somewhere closer like Paugus Diner but if we get up early we take the 10 minute trek there and enjoy it every time. The staff is great and the atmosphere is also relaxing and enjoyable.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:21 AM   #9
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Ames Farm

I would definetly go back. I loved the whole atmosphere thing. I only hope that someone involved with Ames Farm reads these threads and possibly tries to correct some issues they're having. I'm not sure my family would be excited about going back but I'm the boat driver so they may not have a choice. It's a real nice setting. They just need to get a bit more creative with their food. I personally like some spices. I like what 'm eating to taste more than a bland potatoe. Anyone can cut a potatoe up into small squares and throw them into a pan and fry them. Creativeness is what I like although I'm sure there are those who are reading this and saying that they do not agree with me and my likes. Ames Farm seems like such a treasured spot and rich with history. It appears it's one of the last places like this. These owners could sell off, convert to condo's and go retire. Instead it appears that the family is trying to stick to the families long history and not CASH IN!! I guess I just wished their food was bit better. Good Luck !!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
colt17

Default Love Ames Farm

The wife and I go to Ames a few times a year and we love it. Stick to the pancakes very very good. Its not a 5 star resturant but thats what we love about it. The service is always good and the atmosphere is charming. Thumbs up from us.......
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Captain Zipper

Old Hubbard, I'm with you!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone can make plain old eggs and bacon and homefries.

We went this morning at about 8:45. The staff of young women are very gracious and charming. (That's half the battle right there for an owner.)

I had the blueberry pancakes (2). Good, but I've had better. Bacon had been reheated; on the dry crispy side. Friends had eggs and sausage or bacon.

All in all not bad.

Sorry if I seem harsh in my ratings of restaurants but hey, I look at every meal like I'm one meal closer to death; so it better be a good meal.
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Ames Farm

Hey CZ,
LOL

I LOVE FOOD!! It's probably one of my top 2 favorite things to do. Don't ask what the other is, use you imagination

P.S. Would anyone ever call a restaurant to let them know about these post on Winnipesaukee.com or customers suggestions and feelings??
Old 07-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Today Ames Farm for breakfast

Great meal! We had four in our group. Everyone loved the service, the waitress and the food.

Blueberry Pancakes where wonderful, my omlete was cooked to perfection... and the side of corned beef hash was loved by all.

I'm embarresed to admit that after more than thirty years on the lake, and only 1/2 mile from Ames Farm, I had missed this gem.

Loved all the old pictures on the walls, nice spacing of the tables to avoid that "crowdwd" feeling you get in some breakfast places.

We drove, but there was plently of dock space.

All four agreed... best Weekend Breakfast on this side of the lake!