Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
Puff4

Default Best GPS for Winni?

I live in Philadelphia, but I'm planning on coming up to Lake Winnipesaukee in late August to sail my boat. I am also planning to upgrade the boat (MacGregor 26X) with a GPS of some sort.

The question is, what's the best GPS for navigating the lake? I purchased the Bizer chart of the area and I know they also make a chip that will go in certain GPS devices. But I must admit, I am a complete novice at GPS navigation - I've always used chart & compass methods. So, I welcome all your sage advice in this area!!! Thoughts?

Cheers,
PUFF4

Last edited by Puff4; 05-28-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Puff4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
Charlie T

Default Gps

I have the Standard Horizon 150C ( color ) with the Bizer C-map chip. The best investment I have made for my boat. I don't use it to plot courses and set way points yet I just use it to tell me where I am and where I shouldn't go. ( I have plenty of people to tell me where to go ) Great unit, it is now discontinued and being replaced with a new upgraded unit. The old ones are on sale pretty cheap while they last
good luck YMMV
Charlie
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
Puff4

Yeah, that looks like a good one... I looked on eBay and such and it seems they are reasonably priced now. Do you know what the difference is between that and the newer 155 and 175 units? Seems like the 175 adds a slightly larger screen and detachability, but that's about it.

Have you any negatives at all about the 150C?

Cheers,
Puff4
Old 05-30-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
kchace

The Standard Horizons seem to be about the best for the money that use C-Map. If you for some reason decide to get something different, you should know that the only good charts of Winni that are available for GPS right now are available only on C-Map cartridges. So at a minimum, you should look for units which use C-Map cartridges.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
Five Mile

Default Gps

I use the Hummingbird NS-25 and have had good luck with it. (I do wish it was color.) I have created waypoints and routes from my home to Wolfeboro, Meredith, and Weirs. It's great on thoses dark nights. It also operates on a c-map disk. I also advise that before you purchase any unit make sure a Lake Winnipesaukee disk (like c-map) is available. Otherwise you will have to use a larger regional disk that provides less detail.
Five Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
Lakegeezer

Default Horizon is just OK

I use the Horizon 150 (b&w) and its OK but not good at long distance navigation. As soon as you zoom out, you lose the markers on the map. The colors are not coded correctly for the B&W display, so you can't tell black from red. The marked paths through the tricky parts of the lake are its best feature. Cordinates from Bizer's map (and electronic form) are the most accurate you will find. Using a GPS on the lake is fun. For example, set a course from Weirs to Meredith. Following the course allows you to worry less about catching a rock with your prop, sharpen your GPS skills, and get to see some nice parts of the lake.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:45 PM   #7
Silver Duck

Default New Standard Horizons

Puff4

The difference between the new model Standard Horizons and the old ones is a much faster processor - so the redraw times are much faster.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:41 AM   #8
Puff4

Thanks for all your input! I think I'm going to see if I can find a 155C - I don't think I need a larger screen, and I'm not sure my cockpit has room for one anyway. As I say, I have a Bizer paper chart and they are wonderful from what I can tell, not being on the lake. So if the C-Map is similar I'm a happy camper!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:46 PM   #9
Paugus Bay Resident

I just got a flyer from West Marine, and they are offering the CP150C on close-out for $499.99 (after rebates). I've been using the CP150 with Bizer's c-map for a year, and have been very happy.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #10
jrc

Default Interphase Chart Master V6/V6i

Interphase Chart Master V6/V6i
Is a new, affordable, c-map based chartplotter. Maybe worth checking out.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:24 PM   #11
MONTY

Has anybody heard any reviews on the new Raymarine RC400 that uses Navionics cartography? It looks like a good unit. Has a built in antenna, and detachability.
MONTY is offline   Reply With Quote