Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
sledneck

Default Memorial Day Weekend Openings

I can’t wait for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend and the opening of most summer restaurants and local businesses. I will be starting in the Laconia area and can’t wait to spread things out. First stop hopefully is Sal’s Pizza on the Wiers. Second stop definitely include the Whining Butcher. Im hearing great things about the Loony Bin and their Buffalo Nachos and Wings. I can’t wait to try them. Keep us posted on any feedback and other recommendations or reviews. Thanks.
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Don't forget Pop's! I've also become a big fan of The Bob House, Mug Pub, Camp, and Rubbin' Butts, though those are mostly on the other side of the lake.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Pop's opening May 5th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Don't forget Pop's! I've also become a big fan of The Bob House, Mug Pub, Camp, and Rubbin' Butts, though those are mostly on the other side of the lake.

Pops clam shell in Alton Bay will be opening this Saturday, May 5th.

Woo hoo.

Dave
Old 04-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #4
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

4 excellent choices. I’ve enjoyed all of them. So many great choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #5
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

I don't like my fried clams crispy. I used to tell Kevin I liked them "wet". He knew.

I've never been to Pop's in Alton, but have read many rave reviews here. They're really that good (for whole-belly fried clams)?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Pop's mentioned here!! http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-h...ood-shacks-nh/

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #7
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
We will definitely be visiting Pop's Memorial Day Weekend
Old 05-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
Major

Default Squam Lake Inn

The Squam Lake Inn Kitchen + Bar is open. We are going there for Mother's Day. Best fried chicken in the Lakes Region!
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Red Hill Dari in Center Harbor opens this weekend......soft serve ice cream ,whole belly clams and Micki's famous onion rings
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #10
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
The Squam Lake Inn Kitchen + Bar is open. We are going there for Mother's Day. Best fried chicken in the Lakes Region!
Haha...my wife and I went there specifically, for the fried chicken as raved about on here and lo and behold there was none. We were there a half hour before opening and we’re among the 1st seated. I didn’t even look at the menu as my mind had been made up weeks in advance...I was dumbfounded when the waitress said “we’re out of chicken”
Better check before you go!
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Haha...my wife and I went there specifically, for the fried chicken as raved about on here and lo and behold there was none. We were there a half hour before opening and we’re among the 1st seated. I didn’t even look at the menu as my mind had been made up weeks in advance...I was dumbfounded when the waitress said “we’re out of chicken”
Better check before you go!
Sounds to me like they must of ran out the day before. Still no excuse, it chicken not a hard item to come by. Did you go on a Saturday or Sunday?
Old 05-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #12
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Sounds to me like they must of ran out the day before. Still no excuse, it chicken not a hard item to come by. Did you go on a Saturday or Sunday?
I forget what day it was but most likely a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
I do recall It was high summer season.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #13
joey2665

Quote:
I forget what day it was but most likely a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
I do recall It was high summer season.
Still no excuse but probably the reason
Old 05-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #14
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Still no excuse but probably the reason
I jokingly told the waitress that I’d run to the store and grab a pack of chicken parts but that didn’t go over too well. She didn’t laugh.
Really no excuse for that just like when that pops place runs out of clams. I don’t get it. Not good business!
Old 05-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #15
joey2665

Quote:
I jokingly told the waitress that I’d run to the store and grab a pack of chicken parts but that didn’t go over too well. She didn’t laugh.

Really no excuse for that just like when that pops place runs out of clams. I don’t get it. Not good business!

Now that’s funny!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #16
jbolty

Quote:
A million years ago when I worked for Barney's ice cream we would go some places and deliver 200-300 3 gallon tubs and then the customer would freak out. "OMG, we forgot to order cones" I always carried a few cases on the truck because this was surprisingly common. How do you forget to order the main thing you sell was beyond me.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:05 AM   #17
GBGX2

Default I hesitate

Quote:
to reopen this “Can of Clams” but in fairness to Pop’s...they don’t “run out” because they don’t run a good business or don’t know what they are doing.. Here is the owner’s explanation from last year, it makes perfect sense to me:

We order our seafood on Thursdays for a Friday delivery. As you know weather can change dramatically here in New England. Our business is very weather dependant. If it is at all rainy our business slows dramatically. The sun comes out we literally go from zero to wide open. I order carfully depending on what is forcasted. Throwing out clams is not an option at $130 a gallon. Dry scallops and frying clams can not be just picked up at the grocery store. We do our best not to run out but only being open three days a week in the spring makes that a tuff goal to make some times.

Running a seasonal restaurant is tough, let’s support them with our business while we can!
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBGX2 For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #18
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
to reopen this “Can of Clams” but in fairness to Pop’s...they don’t “run out” because they don’t run a good business or don’t know what they are doing.. Here is the owner’s explanation from last year, it makes perfect sense to me:

We order our seafood on Thursdays for a Friday delivery. As you know weather can change dramatically here in New England. Our business is very weather dependant. If it is at all rainy our business slows dramatically. The sun comes out we literally go from zero to wide open. I order carfully depending on what is forcasted. Throwing out clams is not an option at $130 a gallon. Dry scallops and frying clams can not be just picked up at the grocery store. We do our best not to run out but only being open three days a week in the spring makes that a tuff goal to make some times.

Running a seasonal restaurant is tough, let’s support them with our business while we can!
I guess that “works” for pop...but I have to wonder...can’t clams be refrigerated like anything else? Clams, chicken, all come to the businesses REFRIGERATED.
I’ll bet his suppliers have them refrigerated while waiting for shipment.
The fresh foods we buy in our supermarkets like meats and fish aren’t shipped direct from farm or ocean. They are coming from slaughterhouses and fisherman’s Co-ops/markets. A person in the know once told me the seafood we get in our supermarkets has been off the boat for at least 2 weeks.
You would think a business could order a surplus to cover a full service cycle?
Again, I guess running out of a main ingredient works for some but I won’t travel there to be disappointed. My 2 cents.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #19
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
I guess that “works” for pop...but I have to wonder...can’t clams be refrigerated like anything else? Clams, chicken, all come to the businesses REFRIGERATED.
The fresh foods we buy in our supermarkets like meats and fish aren’t shipped direct from farm or ocean. They are coming from slaughterhouses and fisherman’s Co-ops/markets. A person in the know once told me the seafood we get in our supermarkets has been off the boat for at least 2 weeks.
Again, I guess running out of a main ingredient works for some but I won’t travel there to be disappointed. My 2 cents.
I think you answered your own question. If I could buy the same freshness and quality at the supermarket, I wouldn't want to pay a restaurant for their ability to buy and prepare something that I can't get elsewhere. How often do you shop at a grocery store? Once a week? So, some of that food is a week old when you cook it. Local restaurants get daily deliveries.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #20
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I think you answered your own question. If I could buy the same freshness and quality at the supermarket, I wouldn't want to pay a restaurant for their ability to buy and prepare something that I can't get elsewhere. How often do you shop at a grocery store? Once a week? So, some of that food is a week old when you cook it. Local restaurants get daily deliveries.
Okay but who's to say the daily, deliveries aren't coming from a refrigerated, warehouse? Just sayin'
My wife and I go shopping several times a week and going out is a treat for us and we gladly pay to be waited on.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #21
pops

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest eating a two week old clam. If you do make sure you have a free schedule for the next couple of days. They are highly perishable.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pops For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (05-15-2018), ishoot308 (05-15-2018), joey2665 (05-14-2018), SteveO123 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #22
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops View Post
I wouldn't suggest eating a two week old clam. If you do make sure you have a free schedule for the next couple of days. They are highly perishable.
Haha! Duly noted!
Have a good season!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #23
MBNeckguy

Quote:
Okay but who's to say the daily, deliveries aren't coming from a refrigerated, warehouse? Just sayin'

My wife and I go shopping several times a week and going out is a treat for us and we gladly pay to be waited on.

When a restaurant receives seafood from a reputable purveyor, it comes with a best by date, that date for perishable seafood is often 4 days or less. That doesn’t leave a lot of room for “what if the weather....”. Cut them some slack and be happy that they are sold out of perishable items on occasion. If they served you bad product your vengeance on the forum would be two fold. Breathe deep.
MBNeckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MBNeckguy For This Useful Post:
AmberWolf (05-16-2018), Doobs41378 (05-15-2018), Patofnaud (05-23-2018), Winnigirl83 (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #24
noreast

That's exactly why great seafood places are great (like pops) and others are good, bad or average. Especially for seafood far more than other types of restaurants.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
KarmaGirl (05-25-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #25
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I would much rather be told they ran out than have them serve old ones!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (05-15-2018), Winnigirl83 (05-15-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #26
Taz

Default Pop's

Regardless of the reason or if their reason is valid. I find it Hilarious that POPS CLAM SHELL ran out of clams!
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #27
sledneck

This past weekend we had some AWESOME dining experiences. First stop was the Nazwa and food/service was excellent. Second stop was Surfside Burger Bar at Weirs Beach. Service was great and the burger was one of the best I ever had. A pretty good close match to 5 guys which is my favorite. I highly recommend it. We will definitely be back there. Last stop, Guiseppe’s. Had a delicious pizza and service was great.
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote