Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Pineedles

Default Beach launching question

Is it possible to launch a trailered boat from a beach? Or does the gradual incline prevent you from backing the truck to a depth for the boat to float and the truck to not be in danger of getting too "wet"? I am serious as I never have trailered a boat. Given the problem of finding enough launch areas, I have an idea that may help.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Steveo

Several factors at play.

- Is it deep enough close enough to the beach edge that you don't get wet releasing the boat.

- Do you have a place to secure boat when you pull trailer out.

- What are the conditions of the area under the trailer (and the truck) in the water. If it's muddy or rocky you get stuck.

- Probably the biggest factor is the traction on the beach, particularly when you take the boat out. You can spin in place and dig a nice hole for yourself. Even with 4 wheel drive it can happen.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Formula

Default launching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Is it possible to launch a trailered boat from a beach? Or does the gradual incline prevent you from backing the truck to a depth for the boat to float and the truck to not be in danger of getting too "wet"? I am serious as I never have trailered a boat. Given the problem of finding enough launch areas, I have an idea that may help.
Most beaches the sand in teh water is really soft and thus a heavy truck will sink down. I use a side by side 4-wheeler to launch my jetski and it is right up to the doors/exhaust pipes. It takes the 4-wheeler in 4 wheel lock to get out of the water with a load on the trailer.
Good Luck
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
John A. Birdsall

Default beach launch

We have a place at the end of the driveway that would be great to launch a boat. However, we found out that once the boat is launched you need a toe vechicle to get the vechicle out of the sand. However down the beach about 50' there is no problem except for the cottages in the way. So it depends on several factors. If the beach (dry part) is hard, or just a little soft perhaps that will not be a problem. Also they type of boat launched will need different depts of water. so be careful. oh yeah, when you launch your boat, before you get out of your car set your car in park. We seen a caddie launch a little row boat with a motor and take off in the boat, When he came back his car was gone, and the boat ended up on the roof of the caddie. Caddies do not float when driven into lake W.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Beach Launch

I once had to pull a huge Ford duallie out of the sand. He was trying to launch the biggest pontoon boat I have seen on the lake. I was laughing as I pulled him out and his trailer with my little Dodge Dakota.

It was the guy's first boat and he ignored me when I ask if he has a boater's certificate. As soon as he got the boat started he roared off into the lake. Complete disregard of the 150' rule and cutting off boats that were travelling along the shore. He had NY Bow numbers.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
NoBozo

I would NOT launch a boat from a Sand Beach....Salt or Fresh. I have a 20' boat on a single axle trailer...and Four Wheel Drive. When I go boating my interest is in the Boating part....not Damage Control. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
Pineedles

Default Here's the solution

OK, thanks for the replies. Here is what I propose. One of you mechanically inclined guys or girls can do the rest as far as developing the product. A mountable "unicycle" type of powered wheel with the "engine" whether it be gas or electric, that attaches to the tow end of the trailer hitch that can be hand steered, once disconnected from the truck that lets you motor the boat trailer into the water as far as it needs to go, and then hand steer the trailer out of the beach area back up to where the truck is for re-attachment.

Think of it as an outboard motor, with a big tred wheel at the bottom, instead of a prop. The whole mechanism attaches to the end of the trailer hitch that provides the power and steering to take the boat and trailer the last few feet, or yards in order to launch the boat. Launch the boat and then bring the trailer back to the truck for re-attachment.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
fatlazyless

...it all depends....if the boats not a 3000-lb monster and more like 1000-lbs...and the beach looks doable....something like tie a rope from the trailer to the front bumber and guide the trailer down across the beach...or something...just ask yourself....like what would Charlie the Mad Fisherman do?

I actually have one of those trailer dolly gizmos with the two wheels, and trailer ball, and a lawnmower handle.....that can be handy for steering leverage.....be happy to lend it out to you...
Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Pineedles

That's the spirit Larry! Except power the teh two wheel do higgy. Think buddy think. You could be the inventer of something really great!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
jrc

http://parkit360.ca/
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (03-27-2010)
Old 03-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
John A. Birdsall

Default sand-wheels don't mix

Did you ever have to clean a beach, taking the debrie away in a wheel barrow? If the sand is soft, like it is at our place it takes two people to manuver the wheelbarrow and if you stop it sinks. and that is just with some leaves etc in it. You could perhaps put some 1/2 to 3/4 plywood down, but that is expensive.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
robmac

I for one wouldn't recommend launching from a sandy beach, the tow out will be alot more expensive that paying to launch somewhere and parking. Even if I had to launch and have someone else drive toe tow rig back to where I wanted to leave it then you take the boat.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
Pineedles

Default park it

JRC,
I knew it. Everytime I think of an invention someone has already invented it. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

We always put our small boat in on the beach. (18' Crownline)It makes big ruts in the beach which have to be raked which I don't like. We have done it with the truck, but it is tricky so we usually put it in with the tractor by hooking a chain to the tractor and pushing the front of the trailer with the bucket . It really does work.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
winnidiver

Default Been There...

Back when you could drive on the beach at Lee's Mills, I launched from the beach many times, with 2 wheel drive. However I always took the boat out on the ramp. Going in is easy, coming out a little harder.
winnidiver is offline   Reply With Quote