Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
kauriel

Default Progressive Sign & Glide

Does anyone have experience with Progressive Sign & Glide for towing? Is that sufficient or should we also plan to signup for SeaTow or BoatUS?
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I have Progressive, but know nothing about Sign & Glide. I buy Boat/US because no matter who your insurance is, either Sea Tow or Boat/US will get the call. If they have you on their plan, no fuss, no reimbursement with the insurance carrier, etc. The cost is so low that it is worth the convenience.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
kauriel

Progressive claims that with Sign and Glide they will pay the tow operator directly. I guess if the operator has a disabled member they will get service first but if they are already responding to another member we would probably have to wait anyway unless by chance Progressive uses more than one tow operator in which case it could be a benefit to use their service. I'm tempted by the $30/year price but would love to know if anyone has had experience with it.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Progressive

Got a quote from Progressive. They are trying to match or better what I currently have. Currently pay $147, they came up with $145.
Key difference is the liability coverage, old was 100/300/100.
Progressive is 50/100/50. Progressive claims it is more than sufficient.
Progressive comp/collision is $12,000 compared to $10,510
Progressive deductible is $1000 compared to $250. Progressive reduced the deductible by $250 a yr till $0 in 4 years if I make no claims.
Progressive tow coverage is $30 compared to $200. Really not needed as I have Boat US coverage.
No mention of the sign and glide

The question I have is how much liability coverage should I have?
My neighbor has 250/500/250 and pay the same premium but with another company.

I did have a discussion with a financial planner. This makes sense why pay liability coverage for each automobile, boat etc. When one liability coverage should be sufficient for all, sort of like a blanket policy?

Comments?
Old 04-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
Doobs41378

I have a million in liability and I
Am by no means wealthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I think Doobs is talking about an umbrella policy. Every umbrella policy requires liability on all your other policies which is usually 100,000, 300,000 or 500,000. $100,000 is very low. The umbrellas usually require $300,000 and even if it wasn't required, I think I would want $300,000. If you have an umbrella you should find out what is required. For $2.00 in savings (if you typed that right- $145-$147), I would keep the old coverage. I don't like a lower deductible because insurance companies don't like a lot of claims. I think you're better off to pay for any little losses you might have.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #7
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I think Doobs is talking about an umbrella policy. Every umbrella policy requires liability on all your other policies which is usually 100,000, 300,000 or 500,000. $100,000 is very low. The umbrellas usually require $300,000 and even if it wasn't required, I think I would want $300,000. If you have an umbrella you should find out what is required. For $2.00 in savings (if you typed that right- $145-$147), I would keep the old coverage. I don't like a lower deductible because insurance companies don't like a lot of claims. I think you're better off to pay for any little losses you might have.

No, I have an umbrella also but it excludes my boat due to engine size. My actual policy carries a million in liability coverage but I do agree that for $2.00 savings you’d be crazy to take that policy.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
DesertDweller

I would think the major disadvantage of Sign and Glide over SeaTow or BoatUS is that the members of SeaTow and BoatUS will get first priority over the Progressive (or other) customers. As such, you might be waiting a bit.

In terms of liability coverage, it's hard to believe any broker/company would recommend liability coverage of $100,000 to a customer. That will probably cover a month or two of defense costs if something happens.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #9
kauriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Got a quote from Progressive. They are trying to match or better what I currently have. Currently pay $147, they came up with $145.
Progressive deductible is $1000 compared to $250. Progressive reduced the deductible by $250 a yr till $0 in 4 years if I make no claims.
Progressive tow coverage is $30 compared to $200. Really not needed as I have Boat US coverage.

I did have a discussion with a financial planner. This makes sense why pay liability coverage for each automobile, boat etc. When one liability coverage should be sufficient for all, sort of like a blanket policy?

Comments?
Did you ask for revised quote with higher liability coverage or play around with coverage on their website? When I did online request I could adjust options - we ultimately went with 100/300/50 which is $43 for year for liability portion (this is our first boat so we may be paying more). We are also paying more to start with $500 deductible (the deductible portion is costing us $127/year). In a few years we will likely increase deductible but being new we figure there is a greater chance we may need to make a claim in the next year or two than down the road. Total for entire policy came out to $327 for year including the towing. I am hoping we don't need to use towing frequently so hopefully the savings is worth the potential longer wait if/when we need a tow.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:49 AM   #10
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
No, I have an umbrella also but it excludes my boat due to engine size. My actual policy carries a million in liability coverage but I do agree that for $2.00 savings you’d be crazy to take that policy.

Really? I never knew you could get a liability that high! Guess you learn something every day.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:07 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I've had an umbrella pouch for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Really? I never knew you could get a liability that high! Guess you learn something every day.
Tis, I've had an umbrella policy since the early 1980's. I was working for an insurance company at the time as a personal lines underwriter, and my training indicated I was a prime candidate for having one.

I coached Little League, was involved in other volunteer activities, operated boats and snowmobiles I did not own, carpooled kids to swim meets, etc. .

I opted for a $1 million PXC (umbrella) policy with $300k underlying coverage on my auto and homeowners. I have kept that policy in force for all these years, but have increased my underlying to $500k. For me, today's litigious society mandates such coverage.

When I took out my policy, and when I changed companies primarily due to moving, the maximum coverage was $5 million. Could be higher now.

In a phrase, cover your ass-ets!

Dave

Hate auto correct. Should be policy, not pouch.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #12
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Tis, I've had an umbrella policy since the early 1980's. I was working for an insurance company at the time as a personal lines underwriter, and my training indicated I was a prime candidate for having one.

I coached Little League, was involved in other volunteer activities, operated boats and snowmobiles I did not own, carpooled kids to swim meets, etc. .

I opted for a $1 million PXC (umbrella) policy with $300k underlying coverage on my auto and homeowners. I have kept that policy in force for all these years, but have increased my underlying to $500k. For me, today's litigious society mandates such coverage.

When I took out my policy, and when I changed companies primarily due to moving, the maximum coverage was $5 million. Could be higher now.

Dave

I think he was saying he didn’t know you could get 1 million in liability without an umbrella policy.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #13
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

Comments?
HI Broadhopper. I am not trying to solicit your business here but just trying to help out a fellow forum member.
That is the age old question how much insurance do I need? the answer is tell me how much you are going to get sued for and I will tell you how much you need. It is all case by case basis between your comfort, your assets, pricing comfort, and your exposures.
So no one for sure can really tell you how much you should insured for unless you have an actuary and risk analysis of your life, much like the idea of the job Ben Stiller had in the movie Along Came Poly lol.

that being said we like to say the average sufficient policy for an average person now a days is in the ballpark of $250,000/$500,000/$100,000
with the 250,000 being the per person bodily injury per incident/ $500,000 Max bodily injury per incident/ $100,000 Property damage, or get a $500,000 CSL (combined single limit policy) which means for every incident(accident) you will have up to $500,000 to cover bodily injury and property damage you cause combined no caps

in regards to a boat accident: more likely to end up in Death of someone or major injury vs a car and usually more people on the boat, and then in the case of property damage to another persons boat, dock, wetlands etc these limits do not look like they will do much just think of the cost of a water rescue, ambulance ride, an airlift, and the $120,000 formula you just hit sinking to the bottom of the lake.

then you have to take into consideration on the policy you are purchasing, does defense costs apart of the limit or outside, if the are inside no way there is enough, if they are outside are the unlimited (what you want)

my basic advice to anyone that owns a boat or any type of water craft is to purchase an umbrella over their policies, this would be on top of your personal liability which is included in you homeowners policy, the auto liability of your vehicles and also your boat (depending on the carrier of course) This allows you the (when adding to the average policy i mentioned above) up to $1,600,000 (or $1,500,000 for the CSL policy underlying) for property damage and bodily injury combined

in MA it is a state where if you are found even just 1% at fault your policy could max out its limits for payments, in NH it is a percentage state and can be ruled that if you are 1% at fault of a $1,000,000 claim you could only pay out from the policy $10,000.

As an agent it is my job to make you aware of the risks, but not my job to tell you how much insurance to take. Its about what lets you sleep at night with your kids out having fun, yourself or anyone else with your toys and what not. I have people sign a document saying we explained what potential risks are out there and what we think they should get just to cover us from getting sued for not offering higher limits.

with all of this said, an umbrella can be obtained on a yearly basis for a few hundred dollars on average or so depending on your exposures (kids, what toys, what type of cars, etc...)

I can tell you my side:
homeowers: $500,000 CSL Liability limit, Auto $500,000 CSL (no driving kids yet) boat $500,000 CSL and then a $1,000,000 Umbrella on top of it all. that is where I am comfortable and I shop my own by the coverages, many make the mistake of shopping on price first, should be coverage.

you would be very surprised with good insurance carriers how little it is to increase your policies from one level to another
Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #14
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:

Dave

Very wise. The cost of an Umbrella policy is generally low and well worth it just in case. As you said we live in a litigious society and right or wrong if sued the legal fees are paid.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:49 PM   #15
tis

Quote:

Dave

I know you can get umbrella policies for millions, but I had no idea you could get personal liability ( like on your boat, your car, your homeowners' etc) for a million which is what Doobs is saying he has. I had said I think he is talking about his umbrella and this is how he replied:

"No, I have an umbrella also but it excludes my boat due to engine size. My actual policy carries a million in liability coverage but I do agree that for $2.00 savings you’d be crazy to take that policy. "
Old 04-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #16
Taz

Default Liability

Have boat policy with BOAT/US, always had $500k in liability, called last year to find if it could be increased to 1 Million as that is what I have on auto and homeowners policies. It cost $2.00 more annually. Who wouldn't pay $2.00 more for increase of $500k.

Also priced a 1 million umbrella that covered, everything, autos, home, vacation home, boat, 2 older adults only, no children in the family. So that would be $2 million total, 1 mil on underlying polices and 1 mil on umbrella. Umbrella quote was $400.00 annually.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #17
Rich

If anyone wants a discount on the BoatUS TowboatUS services, when you sign up, or renew your BoatUS membership, feel free to use group code GA85200B for a discount.

This will save you $15 on the membership fee and 10% off Water Towing services.

My total annual costs for Freshwater unlimited towing with BoatUS (TowboatUS) went from $78 to $58 per year.

I don't get anything from this discount code, but I'm happy to share it if it will help you save some money.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #18
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If anyone wants a discount on the BoatUS TowboatUS services, when you sign up, or renew your BoatUS membership, feel free to use group code GA85200B for a discount.

This will save you $15 on the membership fee and 10% off Water Towing services.

My total annual costs for Freshwater unlimited towing with BoatUS (TowboatUS) went from $78 to $58 per year.

I don't get anything from this discount code, but I'm happy to share it if it will help you save some money.
Wow, thank you Rich. Very generous and much appreciated
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #19
Descant

I'm retired from the insurance industry. I absolutely agree with AC2717, except I go with $2MM. I always thought, if I got sued, they'd say "go for big numbers. He sells insurance, of course he's covered" and in part because the training classes said you can't sell something you wouldn't buy yourself. My father advised me to get 100/300 liability in 1969 when I bought my first car insurance. If that's your limit now aren't you 50-60 years behind inflation? When you're a teen, you've got 50 years in front of you to absorb a loss and go out and make it back. When you're a teen plus 50, that opportunity isn't there anymore and you need the insurance. Sorry if that sounds preachy, but I believe it.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #20
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

This thread came to mind today when my insurance company recommended an umbrella policy. For $250/year, I can move my two auto policies from $100k liability to $250k and add a $1 million umbrella on my home, car, and boat policy. For $22/mth. I think it's a no-brainer.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #21
fatlazyless

Definitely, go for it ..... at $250/year ...... is a steal of an insurance deal ..... plus it will make you a better, safer, more alert driver ...... while cruis'n those scenic NH roads ...... just know'n that you have an insurance umbrella along for the ride will make you a better, more responsible driver! Funny ..... how that psychology actually works ..... but having the good insurance makes people more responsible and less reckless.

I personally learned all this from Flo ..... the Progressive Insurance gal on tv!
Old 10-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #22
Woody38

This got me wondering just what my coverage is at this time. I have BoatUS with agreed value on the boat. My umbrella policy of $1,000,000 excess insurance costs me $217.00. A bargain for peace of mind. We had the umbrella when living on Cape Cod. Once an incident happened that our son actually had no involvement in other than as a bystander, the umbrella paid lawyer fees.
Not that the fees were extravagant. I always carried high insurance due to my occupation.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #23
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Just a note that the $1 million umbrella is $191/yr. The rest of the amount is for taking my $100k to $250k liability on both vehicles.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #24
Descant

Default How much is enough?

$1,000,000 isn't a lot anymore. The incremental cost to go from $1MM to $2MM is not great. Think what the settlement could be if your propeller or your dog disfigures a child. These things don't happen often, which is why the premium isn't huge, but when it does happen, you want to be well covered.