Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
KTO

Default 7News story on Ice Recovery on the lake

Thought this was a cool story to share. Jeep falls through the ice in Meredith and you see the whole recovery process on video.

https://whdh.com/news/divers-plunge-...ut-sunken-suv/

Full disclosure: I work for ch 7

Enjoy
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Shrimpbrain

I know you have to make it sound sensational and exciting, but maybe have her go back on TV and tell the public that is DOESN'T happen often like she implied. Just the TRUTH nothing more nothing less.
Shrimpbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
DickR

Well, I had hoped for more video of the actual recovery onto the ice surface, not just selected stills. I imagine they slip those heavy timbers under the car and use them as skids to winch the car up over the edge, gradually rotating the vehicle from nose-down to horizontal. Can someone post a link to a video of that final step somewhere?
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:48 PM   #4
garysanfran

Default Wonder if this Jeep...

Will show up for sale by that "bad dealership" (unnamed) in Laconia? Just dry the sucker off, change the oil...Maybe throw in a 30 day warranty against damage from meteorites or errant Teslas returning from space.

Wish they had explained what went wrong? Why did it go through in that spot? Thin ice?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

It quite funny to watch reporters try to come off as "experts" on something they clearly know nothing about.

Dubious reporting at best.

Who even still regularly watches local/network news anymore?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpbrain View Post
I know you have to make it sound sensational and exciting, but maybe have her go back on TV and tell the public that is DOESN'T happen often like she implied. Just the TRUTH nothing more nothing less.
Since you made the statement "that is (sp) doesn't happen often", would you please show us the NH statistics that prove this statement?
IMO if it happens just once in an ice fishing season than that is too often for me.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
FlyingScot

I don't watch local news, but I don't understand why others describe this as sensational, not fully truthful, or dubious. Seems like a pretty straightforward report of an interesting event that has happened "several" times this season.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Well I for one put the label of dubious on this report just because it infers this happens "often" (their words not mine) and if you didn't know differently at face value the reporting would lead one to believe that it happens far more often than it actually does. If they really wanted to include the editorial comment that this happens often the report should have sited actual numbers to substantiate this statement.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #9
Dave19

This may have been covered previously in other threads, but........

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have an approximate estimate of what this type of recovery costs? Also, is this covered by insurance (my guess would be it isn't).

Thanks
Dave19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave19 View Post
This may have been covered previously in other threads, but........

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have an approximate estimate of what this type of recovery costs? Also, is this covered by insurance (my guess would be it isn't).

Thanks
Between $3000.00. And $5000.00 Depending on depth and who does it.

Depending on the type of vehicle as well as your insurance policy would determine coverage. Vehicles which are considered “all terrain” are usually covered. Standard two wheel drive auto’s would be very iffy and Would be completely dependent on policy written.

A few years ago I went through with a Polaris Ranger. Everything including extraction was 100% covered in full. Allstate was and still is my policy holder for all winter toys...

Dan
Old 02-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
fatlazyless

... googled 'Car falls through ice; will insurance pay?' and came up with this?

https://www.carinsurance.com/Article...rough-ice.aspx

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...hrough-the-ice

Maybe someone wants to google 'Car falls through the ice; personal experiences' and go fishing for an interesting story here?

Here's a good reply from Grace Fergusson on Sept 29 to the question: What is it like to fall through the ice? .... https://www.quora.com/what-is-it-lik...ll-through-ice

Just a very small amount of water, like one teaspoon inhaled down the wrong pipe, into your lungs, can immediately cause coughing, and panic in someone who is already scared and upset, and if you are not wearing a pfd, or a noodle belt, drowning is the possible result.

She says 'you can be totally frozen to death in 15-20 minutes', while I have read that with a pfd, or a noodle belt, you can survive for up to 90-minutes in 34-degree liquid water? While a pfd is more effective and helps to conserve heat, even when wet, a noodle belt is less restrictive and easier to wear.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-25-2018 at 04:41 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #12
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTO View Post
Thought this was a cool story to share. Jeep falls through the ice in Meredith and you see the whole recovery process on video.

https://whdh.com/news/divers-plunge-...ut-sunken-suv/

Full disclosure: I work for ch 7

Enjoy
This is nothing more than click bait. You do not show the whole recovery process on that video. You do not see much other than the anchor person speaking of that she knows nothing about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Since you made the statement "that is (sp) doesn't happen often", would you please show us the NH statistics that prove this statement?
IMO if it happens just once in an ice fishing season than that is too often for me.
That may well be too often for you, (or me to be honest) but the word "often" does not revolve around ones opinion.

Take a look at the video that Webmaster posted of the truck race on Meredith Bay and see the number of vehicles on the ice. I guess a vehicle or even a ice shack falling through the ice does not happen "often" despite what faux news is reporting

often
/ˈɒfən; ˈɒftən/
adverb
frequently or repeatedly; much of the time Archaic equivalents oftentimes, ofttimes
as often as not, quite frequently
every so often, at intervals

Last edited by Outdoorsman; 02-25-2018 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Fox News
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #13
noreast

They're reporting a quick story not uncovering Watergate. should they have an expert for every possible problem that could arise? They never know what they're talking about they just tell you what happened.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #14
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
They're reporting a quick story not uncovering Watergate. should they have an expert for every possible problem that could arise? They never know what they're talking about they just tell you what happened.
I am sure the comments being made in this post are solely based on the OP's original comment "Jeep falls through the ice in Meredith and you see the whole recovery process on video".

The video that the OP posted had no such information.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #15
KTO

Webmaster: please remove this post!

I’ve been a member of this forum for 14 years and I was just trying to post a fun, casual story of a different side of what happens at the lake.

Apparently the internet trolls know better than I do.

Also, for those who keep saying the anchor doesn’t know anything: I wrote that story. She voiced it for me. For what it’s worth:

-I’m a diver (not recovery, recreationally)
-I personally know several recovery/salvage divers.
-I used to live at the lake full time.

I just wish I could be as good at my job as the rest of you are!
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #16
Rusty

Quote:

I’ve been a member of this forum for 14 years and I was just trying to post a fun, casual story of a different side of what happens at the lake.

Also, for those who keep saying the anchor doesn’t know anything: I wrote that story. She voiced it for me. For what it’s worth:

You did nothing wrong posting what happens on the Lake.
I can't understand why some members are critizing you but I for one thank you for taking the time to tell us about it.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #17
HellRaZoR004

Agree with Rusty. Thanks for posting.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:47 PM   #18
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You did nothing wrong posting what happens on the Lake.
I can't understand why some members are critizing you but I for one thank you for taking the time to tell us about it.
Just a theory--

Driving your SUV on the lake is an awesome thing to do, that to many casual observers would appear to be completely idiotic in about a half dozen ways. (I'm not saying it is actually idiotic--I leave it to readers to decide for themselves.)

KTO's story/post reminds many on both sides of the question of why this practice appears to be nuts.

People who enjoy driving on the lake recognize that if there's lots of publicity about SUVs going through the ice, their pastime may be curbed by the authorities. Hence the anger at Channel 7.

I've enjoyed the thread
Old 02-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #19
Top-Water

I agree with Rusty & HellRaZoR004 *Sincerely* thank you for posting, the video was interesting.

As mentioned "They're reporting a quick story not uncovering Watergate"

However on the lighter side of things it would have been a far better story if they mentioned that Ford Trucks can drive right out of these types of situations as discussed in this thread a few days earlier.
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=22999

Again, thanks for the post , I too thank you for taking the time to tell us about it.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:22 PM   #20
8gv

Only a little more winter to go people!

We can make it!

8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #21
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

It is interesting to note the changes in the quality of reporting when you travel around the country. The major markets (Boston, New York, Chicago Etc.) have more money to attract the top talent. The stutters and hiccups are a lot less prevalent at that level. It is a food chain with most reporters aspiring to get to the top but there are so few top tier positions compared to all the rest that it is very competitive and difficult to get there.

It is also interesting to see reporting such as when a 6 wheel truck has an accident and reporter says it "jackknifed" or when a front end loader is involved with snow removal and the reporter calls it a bulldozer. These types of misstatements happen often but many of the reporters went to journalism school and went right to work in the TV business after they graduated. They have not been out living life in the real world and their exposure to it has been limited.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #22
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
It is interesting to note the changes in the quality of reporting when you travel around the country. The major markets (Boston, New York, Chicago Etc.) have more money to attract the top talent. The stutters and hiccups are a lot less prevalent at that level. It is a food chain with most reporters aspiring to get to the top but there are so few top tier positions compared to all the rest that it is very competitive and difficult to get there.

It is also interesting to see reporting such as when a 6 wheel truck has an accident and reporter says it "jackknifed" or when a front end loader is involved with snow removal and the reporter calls it a bulldozer. These types of misstatements happen often but many of the reporters went to journalism school and went right to work in the TV business after they graduated. They have not been out living life in the real world and their exposure to it has been limited.
I agree with your first paragraph, but your second seems to miss some fundamental issues. First, journalism is a profession in and of itself, just like teaching, the law, policing, etc. The whole idea is that they learn how to write about topics on which they have little personal experience. Second, even if we take your point that it would be good to have personal experience on a topic before writing, your solution would create an impossible set of logistics--we get a trucker to write about jackknifes, a builder to write about development, a policeman to write about crime, etc. How many folks are working in this newsroom? When did any of them take the time to get good at writing? Aren't they all even more biased than the reporters we complain about today?
Old 02-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #23
Tyler

People, complaining about this issue here will do nothing. If you do not like the reporting contact the news station that aired the story. Cabin fever is alive and well I see.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #24
Patofnaud

Default Play stupid games,,,

,,,win stupid prizes.

I grew up on a lake,

I had 2 friends driving (and spinning) around on the ice in a car, hit an ice hole, flip and die. Both dead before it sank.

I also watched a jeep get dragged through the ice to shore when it fell in about 100 feet from the ramp, it did not have a straight piece of steel on it when it got to shore.

Only thing I will bring on the ice is skates and a snowmobile. Never a vehicle.

As for the trolls, if you don't feed them they go away.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #25
fatlazyless

Cool ...... and here's Kikki

Oopsie ...... looks like I misspelled the name above.......Ya knows ...... that there Keke Vencill .....that lady tv reporter....... who used to be on WBIN News-1 based in either Laconia or Concord, NH is one good look'n, happen'n tv reporter ...... she looks like a movie star from some old movie from the 1940's or somewhere ..... with top billing on some old movie like Casablanca or From Here to Eternity ...... co-starring some big name ......

Anyway, the demise of WBIN, when the boss sold to cash out with a lottery sized airwave spectrum sale price ...... set up a big move up for local NH tv lady-Keke ...... she has done moved on up from WBIN-NH .....up to the weekend anchor spot at Channel 7-tv, Boston!

Wonder if she misses NH for ice fishing and paddle boarding the icy cold Lake Winnipesaukee in a dry suit? She's definitely welcome to come do a live shot here ..... way down the end of Meredith Neck .....at the best spot on the entire lake! .....
Old 02-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #26
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
I agree with your first paragraph, but your second seems to miss some fundamental issues. First, journalism is a profession in and of itself, just like teaching, the law, policing, etc. The whole idea is that they learn how to write about topics on which they have little personal experience. Second, even if we take your point that it would be good to have personal experience on a topic before writing, your solution would create an impossible set of logistics--we get a trucker to write about jackknifes, a builder to write about development, a policeman to write about crime, etc. How many folks are working in this newsroom? When did any of them take the time to get good at writing? Aren't they all even more biased than the reporters we complain about today?
I agree with your point but also see that as the problem. The lack of life's experiences and the liberal leanings and teachings of the education system are at the root of the problem. Teachers who have spent a lifetime (since first grade) in the education system have the same short coming. They have not run a business, hired help, or done a lot of things out in the everyday world yet they are teaching our children to prepare them to go out into the world.

In my opinion, there should be a lot more of life's skills taught at the high school and college level. Learn to balance a checkbook. What does it mean when my car makes that noise? Teach kids (of both sexes) a small amount of building construction and minor repair so they know how to fix small things in their home. Teach negotiation skills so that when they buy a home, make a deal to purchase a car, or even ask for their next raise or promotion they are mentally equipped to best represent themselves. I know college graduates, really bright people, who barely know which end of a hammer you hold onto. When their car or home has a problem they just call someone and pay a big price. When money is tight that is not a great option and those are the people who usually get taken.

When the old bowling alley in Alton burned, after it had been converted into condos, and was just about ready for the sales to begin, a local (Laconia) reporter wrote about the ten 18,000 square foot condos that had burned. Really? I talked to her, it wasn't a typo. She really had no idea.

True story: I know someone with a house on the lake worth several million dollars and he has a chandelier in the entry way of his home. When a light bulb burns out he just calls an electrician to change the bulb. I guess that is OK if money is no object, but not for me. I will go to Lowe's and buy a step ladder.

These are just my opinions. I am sure others will think differently.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #27
Outdoorsman

Quote:

Sorry, but your OP says....

"Jeep falls through the ice in Meredith and you see the whole recovery process on video. "

There were a few clips of a vehicle below water.... that's it

If you are incapable of seeing the "sensationalism" in that....
Old 02-26-2018, 06:24 PM   #28
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Sorry, but your OP says....

"Jeep falls through the ice in Meredith and you see the whole recovery process on video. "

There were a few clips of a vehicle below water.... that's it

If you are incapable of seeing the "sensationalism" in that....
Yeahhhh, OP...FAKE NEWS!!! Take your media manipulation propaganda machine somewhere else. I'm so sick and tired of Big lake-recovery trying to swindle me outta my hard-earned cash.

Seriously, people, y'all can be pretty pathetic.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:38 PM   #29
noreast

Quote:
I agree with your point but also see that as the problem. The lack of life's experiences and the liberal leanings and teachings of the education system are at the root of the problem. Teachers who have spent a lifetime (since first grade) in the education system have the same short coming. They have not run a business, hired help, or done a lot of things out in the everyday world yet they are teaching our children to prepare them to go out into the world.

In my opinion, there should be a lot more of life's skills taught at the high school and college level. Learn to balance a checkbook. What does it mean when my car makes that noise? Teach kids (of both sexes) a small amount of building construction and minor repair so they know how to fix small things in their home. Teach negotiation skills so that when they buy a home, make a deal to purchase a car, or even ask for their next raise or promotion they are mentally equipped to best represent themselves. I know college graduates, really bright people, who barely know which end of a hammer you hold onto. When their car or home has a problem they just call someone and pay a big price. When money is tight that is not a great option and those are the people who usually get taken.

When the old bowling alley in Alton burned, after it had been converted into condos, and was just about ready for the sales to begin, a local (Laconia) reporter wrote about the ten 18,000 square foot condos that had burned. Really? I talked to her, it wasn't a typo. She really had no idea.

True story: I know someone with a house on the lake worth several million dollars and he has a chandelier in the entry way of his home. When a light bulb burns out he just calls an electrician to change the bulb. I guess that is OK if money is no object, but not for me. I will go to Lowe's and buy a step ladder.

These are just my opinions. I am sure others will think differently.
Sounds like a "liberal" government program to do the parents job.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #30
kawishiwi

Default Dude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Sounds like a "liberal" government program to do the parents job.
...thats, maybe, your best post ever!
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #31
FlyingScot

Quote:

I am not sure why you inject politics into the discussion or seem to look down your nose at folks whose education/weaknesses are different than your own. But your "balance a checkbook" example is a great illustration.

For those without Millennial kids--young adults today do not have checkbooks. They have PayPal, Venmo and several other cool alternatives, but the banks have restructured their fee schedules so that a teen or twentysomething would be a fool to ask for paper checks, and new technologies offer tools that are WAY better than the way we had to manage our funds when we were living paycheck to paycheck (our kids don't have "paychecks" either).

The goal of a liberal arts education is not to learn anything specific--it doesn't really matter if you major in English or History. The goal is to teach kids how to think critically and creatively as they navigate a complex and fast moving world.

"The people who usually get taken" today are not absent minded rich guys without step ladders. The people who get taken are the ones who accept without question when a big company or a snake oil politician makes promises that a sharp kid--who has studied history, philosophy, logic, math, etc--immediately knows cannot be kept.