Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
lobstadanca

Default How's the skiing at Gunstock?

We're planning to ski at Gunstock the next couple of days. Can anyone share the conditions? Thanks!
lobstadanca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lobstadanca For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
pjard

I went yesterday and it was great. A bit icy in some spots but the new snow was enough to keep 99% of the icy stuff covered up. They were making snow all day and last night so I would guess the next few days will be the same.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
lobstadanca (01-04-2014)
Old 12-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
lobstadanca

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your post. We just returned from skiing. The conditions were very good on a couple of trails in the morning. However Pistol lift was closed until 1:00 PM so the Summit lift lines were extremely long and it got crowded at the top by late morning. Gunsmoke was excellent. The top of Trigger was pretty much a total sheet of ice. Red Hat and Tiger were open, but not the best.
lobstadanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We were there when the lift opened today. The first two runs were very good on upper Gunsmoke crossing to middle and lower Recoil. Firm but not icy. By the third run the surface was starting to get skied off and the trails quite busy.

As we live only 4 miles away are retired and have season passes, on busy days we head home for coffee as soon as the lift line gets long. Today that was after the 3rd run. Most of our skiing is on non holiday weekdays when lift lines are in the range of zero to one minute so we are not keen on the waiting in line concept.

If we are lucky with the Sunday storm, Monday morning could be good skiing.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
As we live only 4 miles away are retired and have season passes, on busy days we head home for coffee as soon as the lift line gets long. Today that was after the 3rd run. Most of our skiing is on non holiday weekdays when lift lines are in the range of zero to one minute so we are not keen on the waiting in line concept.
Ditto. You will only see me during the non holiday weeks. First in line. As soon as the Panorama lift line starts to fill, I head over to Trigger, then Pistol. By noon I had several runs in, and I am ready to head to Patrick's for lunch.

For January, Summit County is the place to be. I occasionally ski the other mountains with others when there is a special. Fridays is 50+ day at Killington. Waterville Silver Streaks is on Wednesdays.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Waterville Silver Streaks is on Wednesdays.
...ok....so I took a look at the WV Silver Streaks program in the Waterville website...by entering Silver Streaks into the search.....and as far as I can tell it is nothing much at all.....one needs to have either a season pass, such as the $579 value pass that excludes all Saturdays, Christmas vacation, MLK 3-day weekend, and Feb school 9-day vacation, or a one-day ski pass for maybe $75.00/day, plus in addition, then purchase an $80 Silver Streaks WV pass to be able to sit in the Silver Streaks lounge area of the main lodge, and get to eat some "free" donuts and coffee, plus all the windows in that area are totally blocked by the construction of the Buckets outdoor eatery, so while it used to have a view.....it no longer has any view?????

What is a good reason to join the WV Silver Streaks program.......there must be something to it? ......I am not very familiar with it.......most times I have walked past the Silver Streaks lounge area and looked in......it has been empty of anyone......totally empty??? I know....one time I started to walk into that area of the Main Lodge......the Silver Streak area.....and some old guy jumped up and started instructing me that this area was only for the Silver Streaks .....after I took about two steps past the entry step-down.......so's I turned around and left....quickly!!

....honestly......am I missing something here....like what is the fun or social benefits or savings to taking part in the Silver Streaks program at www.Waterville.com on Wednesdays that you respectfully suggest... if any??????

At $579 for a value pass.....it is VERY possible, at least to me.... that the real NH ski season with the short mid-week lines, relatively empty slopes and trails, real winter conditions, and maybe 50 out of the 52-trails.....will actually start on Thursday, January 2, 2014.....but only time will tell?

I know, I know.....the WV ski opened on something like November 20......but in reality.....at least for me....it does not really open until January 2.....and this has yet to happen...with all 50-trails up and running....for now December 29, there are about 30-trails open ..... as the saying goes......it is what it is......and what the heck is it?

$579/value pass for the three months of January, February, and March equals $193/month, and then you exclude every Saturday, MLK-weekend, and Feb school vacation for a total of of about 21-days excluded.....so 90-days minus 21-days equals about 70-days.....and it works out to $579 divided by 70-Sunday thru Friday skier days = $8.28/day

$8.28 for a day of skiing could be a good deal but one has to go skiing for a lot of days.....and is it worth the time and effort......as after about three or four hours of up & down on the slopes....I am ready to call it quits for the day?

One huge plus is the blue free schuus bus that circles through from the mountain to the valley which takes you and your ski equipment right up to the ski area entrance and eliminates the problems of lugging all that skier gear up the steep entrance hill and through maybe two or three parking lots which can be a major pain....and you do not need to use your car...

....or, one can go hit the six miles of free cross-country ski trails located nearby, starting at the Depot Camp parking lot.....and cross country ski down either the Livermore Road (trail) or the Greeley Ponds trail and not be needing a twenty dollar/day XC-WV trails pass...

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-28-2013 at 05:52 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Silver Streak

FLL. 65+ can get a season pass for $379 and a Wednesday pass is $55. Are you jealous that you are not 65?

If you are 80+ you get a season pass for $25, daily pass for FREE!

As for the Silver Streak, the NASTAR races are fun and the fact that you can race Tom Cochran is something else.

I wouldn't say the Silver Streak Lounge is empty. First thing in the morning there is a good number of senior folks. A good number looking like Bode Miller in tights! LOL!

To each his or her own.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
Glendale Girl

Default Ski Discounts

http://wlnh.nh1media.com/pages/ride-and-ski-card
Glendale Girl is offline   Reply With Quote