Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
MotorHead

Default Battery

What is your Marine Starter Battery, brand, amps and voltage.
Are you happy with it ?

I have a West Marine starting 650A, 12V, it may be on its way out.
Would it be OK to get a larger (i.e. Duracell 800 amps) or would that damage the electronics ?

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...BoCmj4QAvD_BwE
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #2
Mink Islander

Default Not a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
Are you happy with it ?

Would it be OK to get a larger (i.e. Duracell 800 amps) or would that damage the electronics ?

Your starter will draw only what it needs. Those extra cranking amps won’t be force fed into your electronics, the new battery simply has more capacity to deliver more amps if demanded.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #3
Downeast

Quote:
Are you happy with it ?

what is the application ? 650 cca is normal for a generic flooded deep cycle, but is actually sub par for a flooded starting.

800-1100 typically found in a healthy start.

what are the CCA results when tested after full charge and 24 hr rest?

we should have a conversation. www.nwmarineindustries.com 603-520-1662
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:40 AM   #4
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeast View Post
what is the application ? 650 cca is normal for a generic flooded deep cycle, but is actually sub par for a flooded starting.

This^

The application is extremely important if you want to get your money's worth. If you really need extra capacity, consider adding a second battery and an automatic charging relay instead of a bigger battery. Blue Sea makes top-notch marine electrical hardware and they make simple and reasonably-priced add-a-battery kits.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:19 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Dual Purpose Battery

After reading an article about batteries in a leading boat magazine a decade ago, I have switched to dual-purpose batteries. I have good luck with them in boating applications. I believe they last longer in both age (8-9 years) and use (half a day running electronics such as radio, lights etc.) They may cost a little more but well worth it.

In my application, I have two batteries with a dual battery switch, when off the bilge pumps are still live. When running, both batteries are on.

As for brands, I just buy the Die Hard at Sam's because of the savings. Otherwise, I may buy Interstate.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:25 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeast View Post

You've got an excellent reputation here and elsewhere. Is it possible to get a rough estimate to add a basic second battery system to a pontoon boat assuming the initial battery is a "starting" one?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:04 AM   #7
MotorHead

Thank you for all the suggestions, I did not think it would be this complicated. I have no clue what CCA is 😊

You are 100% correct, application matters. This is a valet (in and out) boat that rarely may get trailered to a different lake.
I just want to make sure the boat and the bilge pumps start and run after an all day adventure on the lake listening to the radio, CD etc. Entertainment center and Garmin would be the only drain when the boat is not running.

Current battery 4+ years old, still holds charge though it is not giving me the warm and fuzzy feeling. Considering all the expenses, battery is a cheap item. I am curious about the brand and amp I should purchase. I have had good luck with Interstate and West Marine in the past but I have a feeling they are not the best.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:20 AM   #8
fatlazyless

For $69.87 the Gilford Walmart has best seller Everstart marine starter battery, 12v/750mca/109amp, weighs 50-lbs. Without returning your old, worn out battery, the price goes up by $12, and just one dead battery return toward purchase of new Walmart battery is allowed.
MotorHead (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 07:29 AM   #9
MotorHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
For $69.87 the Gilford Walmart has best seller Everstart marine starter battery, 12v/750mca/109amp, weighs 50-lbs. Without returning your old, worn out battery, the price goes up by $12, and just one dead battery return toward purchase of new Walmart battery is allowed.
Ha ha ha, thank you, I will pass on Everstart.
I use that on my riding mower and have to replace it every two years.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:11 AM   #10
Dave R

Quote:
Thank you for all the suggestions, I did not think it would be this complicated. I have no clue what CCA is 😊

You are 100% correct, application matters. This is a valet (in and out) boat that rarely may get trailered to a different lake.
I just want to make sure the boat and the bilge pumps start and run after an all day adventure on the lake listening to the radio, CD etc. Entertainment center and Garmin would be the only drain when the boat is not running.

Current battery 4+ years old, still holds charge though it is not giving me the warm and fuzzy feeling. Considering all the expenses, battery is a cheap item. I am curious about the brand and amp I should purchase. I have had good luck with Interstate and West Marine in the past but I have a feeling they are not the best.
If your battery is not providing as much power as you need, the problem could very well be your charging system, not your battery. Boat engine alternators are notoriously under-sized and you may not be running your engine long enough at a fast enough speed to bring your battery up full charge. When this happens, the battery state of charge slowly drifts in a downward trajectory over a long period (see attached image). This not only reduces the amount of charge you have available, it also causes sulfation that decreases the total capacity of the battery overall.

The fix is to make sure the battery is fully charged after each outing. If the engine has not done the job, a charger can. I suggest adding a built-in marine charger and a shore power connection so you can plug the boat in now and then when it's rack stored. A battery state of charge monitor would tell you all the battery data you could ever want to know, but they are not cheap and would be overkill in a typical valet boat.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #11
AC2717

there are only three battery manufactures. The make all the brands you buy.
I believe last time I checked, Walmart batteries are made by same company as interstate. yes some insides are different than others with plate thickness and other items. But in looking at the two they are basically the same plus the warranty- walk right back into walmart and give it back to them no having to test it first or try a charge nothing. I get many years out of them on my fishing boat as well as my pleasure boat. Especially the Deep Cycle ones. usually outlast others for me
Old 04-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #12
steve-on-mark

Quote:

it stands for Cold Cranking Amps.
steve-on-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #13
8gv

Walmart battery + solar charger = five years.

They are cheap and readily accessible to replace.

It has 875 CCA or so.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 10:57 AM   #14
MotorHead

I was not aware of the fact that you have to go fast for your battery to recharge. We usually leisurely stroll between sandbars and food places.

As for solar charger, great idea unless the boat is stored indoors, which we do.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:49 AM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
I was not aware of the fact that you have to go fast for your battery to recharge. We usually leisurely stroll between sandbars and food places.

As for solar charger, great idea unless the boat is stored indoors, which we do.
You may not need to go fast, but most alternators do not put out anywhere near their full output at low engine RPM.

My advice is to check your battery voltage with an accurate meter before you turn the battery switch on the next time the boat has been used for a day (thus the battery should be charged), then sat at least overnight with the switch shut off (no load on battery). If it's fully charged, you should see 12.6V; 12.4V means 75% charged, 12.2V would mean 50% charged and anything in the 11s is really bad. You should always aim to store the boat starting with 100% state of charge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
MotorHead (04-29-2021), XCR-700 (04-30-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 01:00 PM   #16
MotorHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
You may not need to go fast, but most alternators do not put out anywhere near their full output at low engine RPM.

My advice is to check your battery voltage with an accurate meter before you turn the battery switch on the next time the boat has been used for a day (thus the battery should be charged), then sat at least overnight with the switch shut off (no load on battery). If it's fully charged, you should see 12.6V; 12.4V means 75% charged, 12.2V would mean 50% charged and anything in the 11s is really bad. You should always aim to store the boat starting with 100% state of charge.
Can I do that in my basement ?
Currently my battery is in the basement, it is too cold to go out to a sandbar.

Let the battery sit in the basement for a week.
Charge it with a trickle charger until the charger light turns green.
Unplug the charger, let it sit overnight then measure

Would that work?
Old 04-29-2021, 04:03 PM   #17
Dave R

Quote:
Can I do that in my basement ?
Currently my battery is in the basement, it is too cold to go out to a sandbar.

Let the battery sit in the basement for a week.
Charge it with a trickle charger until the charger light turns green.
Unplug the charger, let it sit overnight then measure

Would that work?
The goal I had in mind was to test your boat's charging system, not the battery. Charge the battery fully and then bring it to a store that sells batteries, they will load test it for you and determine if it is good or not. Once you have a known good battery in your boat, try my test after a day of boating and see if the battery is fully charged. If it is great, if not, you should address it to avoid being stranded on the lake someday...
Old 04-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #18
MotorHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The goal I had in mind was to test your boat's charging system, not the battery. Charge the battery fully and then bring it to a store that sells batteries, they will load test it for you and determine if it is good or not. Once you have a known good battery in your boat, try my test after a day of boating and see if the battery is fully charged. If it is great, if not, you should address it to avoid being stranded on the lake someday...
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
trfour (05-01-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 05:00 AM   #19
SAB1

I’ve had good luck with NAPA batteries. In offseason I charge them two or three times. I do not haul them into the house for the winter.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:44 AM   #20
swnoel

Quote:

If you've never had a problem before, why do you think you will now with the same battery?
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #21
Patofnaud

Talking

One of the rare times I fully agree with an FLL post, but yeah, Walmart for the batteries. Cheap and I've run them for years. Had 4 years on my last boat's batteries and they were still strong before I sold the boat and upsized. Then when I added a 2nd battery to the new boat, straight back to WallyWorld.

Now to the tech stuff. Like the chart shown above shows, on a boat that has a lot of electronics and does more sitting at the sandbar or low-speed cruising than it does on a high plane,,, you will kill your battery after a few weeks because it will never ever get changed more that used.

Case in point, my 'toon has 6 speakers with a 6 channel 540 watt amp plus a separate 10-inch sub with its own amp. Then toss in some rgb lighting and I would drain down a 'house' battery after a few day's use. Even though I was making sure to flip the A/B/Both switch to let it recharge every time I ran the engine.

(And nooooo, I'm not one of 'those' guys going through the channel rattling windows, power makes sound better even at lower levels.. )

What I ended up doing is mounting a decent solar panel on my stern wall and that trickle changes my batteries any day I am not using the boat, and while I am underway. No more need to plug into shore power to top the batteries off anymore. Ever.

This one I have been running for over 4 years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stay away from the Harbor Freight cheapo's. You need to spend about $100 for a decent array/controller.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:58 AM   #22
fatlazyless

You know this 50-lb, $69.87 Walmart boat battery at the Gilford Walmart usually costs $79.87 and is now on sale, reduced by ten dollars, but you gotta bring in the old dead battery otherwise price goes up by twelve dollars.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:24 PM   #23
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Ha ha ha, thank you, I will pass on Everstart.
I use that on my riding mower and have to replace it every two years.
Yep typical Walmart garbage. I made the mistake once of getting an Everjunk battery it lasted about 3 seasons. Replaced that with an Interstate - at about almost 2 times the cost and it lasted for 12 seasons and was still working when I replaced it, just didn't want to push my luck.

Napa makes a really good deep cycle marine battery too.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:51 PM   #24
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Yep typical Walmart garbage. I made the mistake once of getting an Everjunk battery it lasted about 3 seasons. Replaced that with an Interstate - at about almost 2 times the cost and it lasted for 12 seasons and was still working when I replaced it, just didn't want to push my luck.

Napa makes a really good deep cycle marine battery too.
Normally, I'd agree with you on Interstate, but the last two I got—one car, one tractor—were not awesome.

On the other hand, I put a Wal-Mart battery in my Escape, and it lasted longer than the factory one and a Tractor Supply tractor battery I got a few years ago is still going.

I'm feeling like it's purely luck-of-the-draw these days!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote