Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
CateP

Default Comparing Gilford and Meredith

Hi Everybody
I wanted to ask the forum members about how you would compare the towns of Gilford and Meredith. We are moving up to the area and have found some nice houses in Meredith in our price range, but also like Gilford. Any opinions on both towns are greatly appreciated.

Here are some of my thoughts for starters.

Gilford
Pros
  • Great boat launch
  • Close to lots of services and stores
  • Less summer traffic than other nearby towns
  • Beans and Greens Farm Stand
  • Close-knit, welcoming community
  • Town beach

Cons
  • Higher taxes than other nearby towns
  • Not a great inventory of post and beam houses with acreage in our price range (uninspiring architecture)

Meredith

Pros
  • Low taxes compared to other nearby towns
  • Several nice homes with acreage and ponds and nice architecture
  • Restaurants

Cons
  • Summer traffic in town
  • Not all areas have high speed internet (MetroCast)
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

I can add a couple things about Gilford...

#1. Friendly police department that want to serve you.

#2. Excellent fire department.

#3. Friendly and helpful town office people that know what they are doing. Comes in handy when registering autos, boats, trailerers, atv's etc, etc.

#4. Little or no weekend traffic. Compared to Meredith Gilford is a ghost town!

#5. Great restaurants such as, William Tell Inn (is that Alton or Gilford??), Lyons Den, Elacoya Barn & Grill to name just a few.

Good Luck!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
hilltopper

Not much to add other than all of the Pros you list for Gilford I feel are true of Meredith also, except for the traffic issue. One of the first things we did when we moved to Meredith was learn how to deal with and get around the traffic. Good luck!
hilltopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
WeirsBeachBoater

Default I'm a big fan of Meredith

Couple of Pro's you missed. Two town boat ramps, Moulton's Farmstand, Great Town facilities. Good Police Dept, Town DPW does a great job on the roads. Traffic is only an issue if you don't know the shortcuts
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
donnamatrix

Default I vote for Moultonboro

Lower tax rate, good school system (although our kids are grown), close to good restaurants, good boat launches, quieter part of the lake, great wildlife (look at the eagles), great dentist... we've lived in Laconia, and still - probably for everyone on the forum who doesn't live near the bigger stores - we still go to Shaws/Hannaford in Gilford, my hair stylist is in Laconia -another great find:Che Bella on Union Avenue! I am sure whichever town you choose will live up to your hopes and expectations - we all just have favorites.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

If I had my druthers...I'd still pick Gilford or Alton over Meredith.
Simply because they are on the South end of the Lake. Closer to civilization. I am in Moultonborough, which don't get wrong, is very nice. But I like being able to go to the theater, or the city. Which is quite a ride from Moultonborough.

As far as houses...A house is what you make it. Anything is doable. As far as interesting architecture I would go to places like Sandwich, which has nice old homes at good prices.

I love post and beam. My wife and I are planning to get a piece of land and build one for our next home if we cannot find the one we are looking for.
Right now builders, foundation guys, and tree cutters, are dying for work, so now is the time to build. however I am not one to cut down trees for a house if I can find one already waiting. That said there are many lots up for sale right now due to the economy.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Just Sold

First welcome to the forum and to your eventual move to the lakes region.

A plus for Gilford, since you like to sail, is Fay's Boat Yard which is a big place for sailors giving you the possiblity of meeting many who own sail boats. And there is the new Sailing School being proposed for Ellacoya, State Park nearby.

Yes, the lake is more crowded on the weekends and that is true everywhere on it but when you live on or near the lake you can get out on the lake after work on the weekdays when it is much quieter. I have seen many people taking their boats out late in the day during the week and even seen some guy's still in their suit pants and shirt (tie off) driving off for a little after work cruise.

In Gilford there is Lincoln Park right on the lake if you want to sit and read a book, have a picnic or just gaze out over the lake and it is very close to Glendale and the town docks.

Leaving from Gilford for a boat trip on the lake is great and it puts you in a good starting location to go everywhere else on the lake. That is where I boat from.

Gilford affords you to take a short drive to Alton or over to Laconia or the Weirs. If you are in Meredith you are starting from the NW end of the lake to get anywhere else. The occasional commute to the work place will be longer from Meredith too.

Do not get me wrong I love Meredith and around to Center Harbor and Moultonboro too but Gilford would be my preference.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
jrc

I've spent every summer weekend in Gilford for the last ten years:

Pros:
No traffic in Gilford(except bike week)
Good restaurants
Two Beaches and a boat launch
Great place to boat from, right in the middle of the lake
Easy access to all the chain stores, close to Tilton and Laconia
Meadowbrook concerts

Cons:
Weekend traffic to/from I-93 (shouldn't bother a resident)
A lot of weekend guests, like me (boats slips, camps and condos)
Beaches do close for high bacteria once in a while
Easy access to all the chain stores, doesn't feel as rural
Airport can be loud, especially if Romney becomes President
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

I agree with Dan and Just Sold on all their points about Gilford. We keep our Island boat at Fay's and can attest to it being a sailing friendly place. Many of the J/80 boats get set-up there. Also the races require a crew of 4 and on occasion there is need for experienced crew to fill-in.
http://www.lwsa.org/racing/index.php

The Gilford town docks are the best this side of the lake; a resource that we often use.

We live in West Alton near the Gilford town line and do most of our shopping in the Gilford/Laconia area. We might have originally bought in Gilford except for the tax rate. Alton has a long history of frugality and it shows in the low tax rate. Gilford has a long history of spending as their tax rate shows. So don't overlook Alton with the low taxes and a lot of great folk.

While we know most of the shortcuts in Meredith, we still avoid the area on Summer weekends.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Gilford

Another plus for Gilford, IMHO is the Gilford Community Church. Great people and a very welcoming attitude.

http://www.gilfordcommunitychurch.org/gcc/mission.asp
Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
CateP

I just want to thank everyone who has replied so far.
I think there are many positive things about most of the towns in the lakes region, but since we are trying to narrow things down a bit, I was wondering about aspects of Gilford and Meredith that we may not know about.

Thanks again for your insights.

BTW-What church has the services out on Squam? We're not very religious people, but a service on an island on Squam Lake must be something special.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
lawn psycho

Bike week alone would make me take Meredith off the list (same for Laconia).

I don't even slip my boat in Meredith because of traffic and I come from the East......
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Bike week alone would make me take Meredith off the list (same for Laconia).

I don't even slip my boat in Meredith because of traffic and I come from the East......
Well one of the few times we really enjoy Meredith is bike week, normally get up to the Harley dealer twice during the week. One just needs to get themselves a ride and join the fun.
Another time that Meredith is fun is during the ice fishing derby.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
dragonfly03246

Default Church

Check out
http://www.churchisland.org/

They are the one's who hold the church services in the summer.

BTW, we live in the Weirs and I would definitely chose Gilford over Meredith to live in. The traffic is so much better and if you like motorcycles, then around Route 11B would be a great place to live. It's really quiet in the Fall, Winter and Spring here.
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Well one of the few times we really enjoy Meredith is bike week, normally get up to the Harley dealer twice during the week. One just needs to get themselves a ride and join the fun.
Another time that Meredith is fun is during the ice fishing derby.
Buying a motorcycle to then go hang out at the dealer doesn't sound like fun to me. To each there own but H-D won't ever see $0.01 from me.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
ronc4424

Hi Cate, here is a picture of a couple heading out to services last summer.
Attached Images

Argie's Wife (01-27-2011), Shore Driver (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #17
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronc4424 View Post
Hi Cate, here is a picture of a couple heading out to services last summer.
Ron, Is that the river between Little and Big Squam? We used to keep our boat at Squam Boats and that boathouse looks familiar (but it was 20 years ago!)
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #18
ronc4424

Yes, it runs between little and big Squam. After this past month, that picture is really starting to look inviting.....
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
BTW-What church has the services out on Squam? We're not very religious people, but a service on an island on Squam Lake must be something special.
Every week it is a different denomination, you can dock your boat and tour the island anytime there is always someone there.

As far of which town I would choose Meridith, and don't worry about the traffic you will find your way around so enough. The taxes will make up for that alone. And the access to 93 can be a lot easier from Meredith depending where you are.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #20
VtSteve

I think it depends greatly on the when and where of your travels. For coming up on weekends, I'd never go near Meredith again. The traffic was pretty bad 20 years ago, and has only gotten worse. Yes, there have always been shortcuts, but they only help so much.

Obviously it's a lot different living there rather than visiting on peak days. Gilford provides for great access to many venues. I'd much prefer to be there from a boating standpoint, and the mountains are also close by. My vote is towards the Gilford end of things.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #21
Shore Driver

Meredith has the smaller lakes also, Waukewan and Wicwas, don't know how much small lakes affects price or whether you want water access, but the lake views around Waukewan are gorgeous from what I've seen. Quite a bit of older architecture if that's what you seek. The tremendous dining options...Hesky Park for concerts, etc. Imagine being able to walk to all that. Lots of people in summer, but me, I like people.

Tough to say no to all that.

Gilford Village though, is delightful, and very peaceful. The whole town has a ton to offer. You picked 2 winners in my book.

Good luck!
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #22
Mink Islander

Quote:
I just want to thank everyone who has replied so far.
I think there are many positive things about most of the towns in the lakes region, but since we are trying to narrow things down a bit, I was wondering about aspects of Gilford and Meredith that we may not know about.

Thanks again for your insights.

Well, if you want church services on an island in Winnipesaukee, check out Saint Johns on the Lake on Bear Island -- public dock available too. The church steeple was an old fire tower. Has services all summer with a variety of guest Pastors of many denominations.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #23
gravy boat

Default Gilford v Meredith

Having lived in Gilford for 13 years there are reasons I've not moved. Meredith is a lovely town and has friendly people and helpful, knowledgable tone employees as well.

We are active all seasons and Gilford offers us free launch, convenient location to trailer out boat, Gunstock (season pass holders), hiking and.biking trails galore in our backyard throughout the Belknaps, abundant dining and shopping, only a 15 minute drive to Market Basket in Tilton, which is SUBSTANTIALLY lower priced than anything in Gilford or Meredith. We are
5 minutes from civilization, yet in the country/mountains. For us it offers the best of everything we want.
The only traffic is during the Timberman Triathlon in late August....Bike Week is noisy everywhere in the region.

Good luck!

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #24
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Some reflections on Meredith and Gilford...

Which one to chose is not an easy decision to make. It really comes down to what you want to be able to access. While as pointed out by others, getting from Gilford to civilization might be quicker, I don't feel it is that much quicker. If being able to get to other destinations is a prime concern, then I think you need to look at where you need to get to... Meredith offers great access to the 93 corridor for getting up into the mountains of NH, or to head south and get to places like Waltham Ma. On the other side if you think you are more inclined to go to places like the Coast, the Mountains of Maine, or the North Shore of Massachusetts then the Gilford/Alton area is ideal, while still maintaining your life in the heart of the lakes region.

All towns In the lakes regions have traffic drawbacks in the busy season. It is really a matter of getting to know the back roads. Once you know two or three of the beaten path ways of getting to where you need to, the traffic stops being an issue. Although many of use will keep our secret routes around traffic a secret... Once you get to know some of us, the secrets will come out..... I have to get to Moultonborough every Friday night, and I never, never sit in traffic, once I am north of Tilton.

The bottom line is I don't think that advantages to either town are all that much different. I also don't believe you will find anything more convenient in one location vs the other. The only thing you will find, is depending on your destination, it might take 10 or so mins traveling time, depending on where you settle down.

Having moved several times in my life my recommendation is this. Make sure you like your house. Don't worry as much about location. Worry about knowing that you will come home everyday and be inspired by your property. Inspired, to sit back and relax, to get out and plant a garden, to get out and mow, to sit back and watch the snow fall, to sit back and read a good book, tucked into a chair in the corner. Or my favorite inspiration, which is to be inspired to all the previously mentioned things, and not know which one to start with.
CateP (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #25
ishoot308

Cate;

Having traveled daily from Gilford to my business in Manchester I can tell you that it takes 45 minutes to the Manchester line from Fays boat yard. This is by taking Route 11 to Route 106 South to 4/202/393 West to 93 South.

Leaving fays at 7:00 A.M. I have never hit any bad traffic southbound. This is the best and fastest way if your heading South into Mass. The only time you need to stay off route 106 is when they have a race which I believe is twice a year and normally that is only on weekends.

Dan
Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #26
jmen24

Default About the Architecture

Cate, I have noticed a few times now that you have mentioned uninspired Architecture in the area, but at the same time, are looking at older homes.

Unlike some of our other NE states, the northern NE states history is staged around agriculture that has remained in place far longer than the southern half. That puts most of the older homes in the "function over form" group rather than the modern preferred "form over function".

The colonial style homes of this area, are in themselves "plain" to say the least. Whether it be a two-story colonial, a 1/2, 3/4 or full cape or a saltbox. For anyone that is wondering, those are the only reconized styles of colonial architecture, the full dormered cape or dormered cape were not practical in Colonial times to build and thus came about at the same time as the Arts and Crafts style homes (the both were the working man's way to keep up with those Victorian folks on a DYI or budget standpoint).

The New England style farm house was an addition to this area, after Colonial times for the farmer that had a little more time on their hands to sit on the porch and watch the kids work. Again an adaptation of a two-story colonial.

Most of the original colonial architecture in the southern NE states was more to show your neighbors how much money or influence you had, up here, not so much. It was a roof and a place to feed.

I am just curious what your looking for in the way of inspired Architecture? No right or wrong answer, just curious.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #27
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Make sure you like your house. Don't worry as much about location. Worry about knowing that you will come home everyday and be inspired by your property. Inspired, to sit back and relax, to get out and plant a garden, to get out and mow, to sit back and watch the snow fall, to sit back and read a good book, tucked into a chair in the corner. Or my favorite inspiration, which is to be inspired to all the previously mentioned things, and not know which one to start with.
I definitely have to agree with LIforrelaxin on this one. Gilford and Meredith both have their pluses and minuses. I'm more familiar with Gilford (Ames Farm Inn has a wonderful breakfast in season), but having been in or stayed in homes around the entire big lake, after taking commute time into account, they really are all very wonderful towns. That leaves it at the actual home which you're interested in. So if Meredith has the type of home which speaks to you, then by all means, buy in Meredith.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #28
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Cate, I have noticed a few times now that you have mentioned uninspired Architecture in the area, but at the same time, are looking at older homes.

Unlike some of our other NE states, the northern NE states history is staged around agriculture that has remained in place far longer than the southern half. That puts most of the older homes in the "function over form" group rather than the modern preferred "form over function".

The colonial style homes of this area, are in themselves "plain" to say the least. Whether it be a two-story colonial, a 1/2, 3/4 or full cape or a saltbox. For anyone that is wondering, those are the only reconized styles of colonial architecture, the full dormered cape or dormered cape were not practical in Colonial times to build and thus came about at the same time as the Arts and Crafts style homes (the both were the working man's way to keep up with those Victorian folks on a DYI or budget standpoint).

The New England style farm house was an addition to this area, after Colonial times for the farmer that had a little more time on their hands to sit on the porch and watch the kids work. Again an adaptation of a two-story colonial.

Most of the original colonial architecture in the southern NE states was more to show your neighbors how much money or influence you had, up here, not so much. It was a roof and a place to feed.

I am just curious what your looking for in the way of inspired Architecture? No right or wrong answer, just curious.
This was such an interesting post and clearly I am out of my league when discussing architecture. My somewhat ignorant comment about "uninspired architecture" refers to a lot of the houses I have seen online that were built after 2000. They seem to have porches on the front and flat backs with tiny windows. Vinyl siding. Inside, the ceilings seem pretty high and there is an "open concept." Kitchen , dining room, living room all flow into one another. No cozy dens. Bedrooms seem huge. Older houses seem to have smaller rooms (cozy, easy to heat). The antique houses often have unique spaces (nooks).

I certainly didn't mean to insult anybody's house, and I know on our budget we won't be looking at any Adirondack style cedar-sided houses,(Mark Island) but we are hoping for something that has a little character. (anything that isn't just a square or rectangle with no distinguishing features) The property itself could also have some character too. (Stone walls, woods, view)
Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #29
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Some reflections on Meredith and Gilford...
Having moved several times in my life my recommendation is this. Make sure you like your house. Don't worry as much about location. Worry about knowing that you will come home everyday and be inspired by your property. Inspired, to sit back and relax, to get out and plant a garden, to get out and mow, to sit back and watch the snow fall, to sit back and read a good book, tucked into a chair in the corner. Or my favorite inspiration, which is to be inspired to all the previously mentioned things, and not know which one to start with.
This is a most profound comment and one that I'm going to share with my partner. We often talk about coming home from work and how the first thing we want to feel when seeing our house and property is..."ahhh, I'm so happy to be home." When we look at houses online we imagine ourselves looking out windows and working in the yard. Of course we'll have to go see houses in person to get a good feel for things.

BUT one thing we are also thinking about is community. What happens once we step OUTSIDE of our house? Of course being the new kids on the block we'll have to make the effort to join things and reach out to people. We plan on being involved and volunteering for things. Hangin' at the resident-only beach is kinda cool too.

I guess what I was hoping this thread would do is help us decide where we should live. But thinking about it now, that seems kind of silly. We really need to get our butts up there and spend some time looking around more and talking to people in person. Heck, it may be that we are better off renting for a bit to get a better sense of where we should be.

So thanks to all who have opined here. Definitely some good info worth saving.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #30
songkrai

It is good that you are asking questions. And also good you found this forum.

My opinion you have three basic questions.

1. That actual home - the structure.

2. How far from the coast/Route 95 or how close to Route 93.

3. If you have school age children pick a town that has a private school. Such as Holderness, New Hampton, Wolfeboro, etc.

If you are seeking an antique farmhouse with lots of space and charm be prepared to set aside some good money. Either for purchase price or for maintenance. If you plan to upgrade some quaint farmhouse then lots of extra money is needed. If you seek an already upgraded farmhouse then be sure to have it checked out completely. If there are any water issues - and they are not fixed by now - then they may never be fixed. Many of these antique homes need much maintenace. If you are seeking a newer modern type home then do also have this checked out for issues. And if you build expect about some cost over runs. Unless you are darn specific in your archetect plans. And if you do sign any contracts for new construction hire an attorney to read it. There will be cost over runs and that piece of paper will state how much YOU have to pay for any cost over runs.

If your desire is to travel to the coast then pick towns on the east side of lake. If your needs are getting to Route 93 then pick towns on that side.

Finding the right house on the right street with the right view is to me the most important to some. And do stay off of private roads or gravel roads. Stick to paved town roads. Although the nice looking gravel road may seem appealing you will have a dusty automobile all of the time. Never mind the wear and tear on said automobile.

And if you have school age children then send them to a private school.

Good Luck.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #31
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
And if you have school age children then send them to a private school.
No school age children. All grown and on their own. If we DID have school age children I would start a thread specifically addressing area schools.

As a graduate of New Hampton school I am partial to that institution.

Go Huskies!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #32
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Heck, it may be that we are better off renting for a bit to get a better sense of where we should be.
This is not a bad idea... I moved to an area, and was so glad that I rented for awhile.... not because it was a bad place to live, but because the immediate community around me, was not really where I wanted to live. I thought leaving in a real neighborhood setting was going to be nice. But really what I found was that I was much happier, living in a more remote location.

Unfortunately work brought me back to Massachusetts, and unfortunately I can't seem to get to get remote enough here.

I would think if you looked around you could easily find some places to rent, especially if you ended up making the move during a non-peak season...... you might even be able to find some places that would be willing give you a six month or 9 month lease, as long as it was going to be durring the fall winter and spring....
Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #33
Argie's Wife

In my opinion, ANY town near Lake Winni is the BEST TOWN in NH.

But consider Alton... low taxes. Put your money into the equity of your home and not the coffer (property tax).
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #34
songkrai

Renting is the better choice to obtain the atmosphere of any area or community. And it provides much more time to look at homes.

Some communities are much more user friendly.

Get a chance to view what the comunity has already built and what the community wants to build. This all affects real estate taxes.

Just for an example take Moultonborough. This quaint little town is divided quite distinctly over building or not building a very expensive community center. Meredith as another example has already built a new fire house, new police station, and new community center.

If Route 93 is important then check out the towns close to 93 from Canterbury to Campton and all in between. Shopping can be a hassle if far away from stores. If you enjoy cultural events - those are quite lacking up here - then find a town near Plymouth State College (now calling themselves a university). Cultural events are much more prevalent near a college.

If you have pets it may be much more difficult to rent.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #35
Lucky1

Default Love the location first, then the lot, then the house and then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Renting is the better choice to obtain the atmosphere of any area or community. And it provides much more time to look at homes.

Some communities are much more user friendly.

Get a chance to view what the comunity has already built and what the community wants to build. This all affects real estate taxes.

Just for an example take Moultonborough. This quaint little town is divided quite distinctly over building or not building a very expensive community center. Meredith as another example has already built a new fire house, new police station, and new community center.

If Route 93 is important then check out the towns close to 93 from Canterbury to Campton and all in between. Shopping can be a hassle if far away from stores. If you enjoy cultural events - those are quite lacking up here - then find a town near Plymouth State College (now calling themselves a university). Cultural events are much more prevalent near a college.

If you have pets it may be much more difficult to rent.
Meredith is about 2 hours from Waltham I would say. It is an easy drive down 93. The Science Center an easy hop from Meredith. I would look there I believe as it is in some way more year round to some. And since you are not buying waterfront, you will have it right there everytime you are in the center of town. I happen to live in Moultonborough.

Don't even think on silly summer traffic as it is like rush hour that starts earlier on Fridays; then there is Saturday for rentals and others arriving but that is really not all that bad; and Sunday afternoon. You sound like a spunky gal who can handle that. I don't know if you will find EVERYTHING YOU WANT, so try to make a list of what is most important to you now, knowing that you may not even know ALL THAT IS IMPORTANT. When I bought my home I had BUILT WINTERIZED, GRADUAL SAND BEACH, GARAGE???? (EASY TO BUILD ONE??) AT THE HEAD OF MY LIST. I never thought of views. I had four young ones and who had time to sit and look at things. I wanted to be warm and have a safe beach for the kids. You know I love the beach, and the small home is very well insulated, BUT THOSE VIEWS OF THE MOUNTAINS HAVE GIVEN ME THE GREATEST JOY!!! Views were not on my list. So there you go. Fall in love with someplace and jump in after you make sure it seems to make you happy. For in life, a happy home is made from happy people. Lots of things can be changed but not the location. Charm is for bracelets. Solid, usuable space, etc etc is what makes for less problems. I never am in Moultonborough long before I don't start hearing myself say OUT LOUD, "I LOVE IT HERE." That is what you want in the end! Good luck.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
CateP (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #36
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
You know I love the beach, and the small home is very well insulated, BUT THOSE VIEWS OF THE MOUNTAINS HAVE GIVEN ME THE GREATEST JOY!!! Views were not on my list. So there you go. Fall in love with someplace and jump in after you make sure it seems to make you happy. For in life, a happy home is made from happy people. Lots of things can be changed but not the location. Charm is for bracelets. Solid, usuable space, etc etc is what makes for less problems. I never am in Moultonborough long before I don't start hearing myself say OUT LOUD, "I LOVE IT HERE." That is what you want in the end! Good luck.
Charm is for bracelets!!!!
Classic line. Love it.

I think location IS key. We've been talking more about views and that feeling of ahhhh when we arrive home. We'll be looking for that.

The cool thing is that it looks like my partner may be working in Laconia starting in April. She may be up there while I'm still in NJ managing the house and boat sales. Great opportunity to scout.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #37
fatlazyless

The two towns have different forms of local government. Gilford has SB-2, and Meredith has an annual town meeting. How does that make a difference? Probably, it's a big reason why Meredith has a new fire station, police station, community center, ball fields and tennis courts all built in the last eight years and why Gilford has not done any similar construction like that.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #38
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The two towns have different forms of local government. Gilford has SB-2, and Meredith has an annual town meeting. How does that make a difference? Probably, it's a big reason why Meredith has a new fire station, police station, community center, ball fields and tennis courts all built in the last eight years and why Gilford has not done any similar construction like that.
I thought Gilford had just constructed a new library?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #39
jmen24

Quote:
I thought Gilford had just constructed a new library?
FLL, doesn't do to much research prior to making claims, so I would investigate that for yourself.

On the Architecture, you and I are in complete agreement on the modern designs of Colonial origin. Very rarely am I ever excited. I have no doubt that you know what you are looking for.

Note, I am not at all saying that the modern construction is inferior to the old stuff, because it is not and by a long shot. Just the modern interpretation of the design. When it comes to building, there is good reason, that "they don't build them like they used to", most would not even be standing if it wasn't for the super strong old growth timber used. That stuff doesn't exist anymore (at least not in a practical supply for framing use, very, very $$$$). The engineered products in use today, far surpass the dimensional framing lumber available at most yards that folks are always used to seeing and using.

Anyway, good luck on your search.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #40
Bob M

Default Comparing Gilford and Meredith

Gilford does have a new library. It opened in the last year or two. I'm not sure of the numbers but I believe that a large donation from a local citizen family paved the way for it the construction. It is one fine building that the residents have every right to be proud of.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #41
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M View Post
Gilford does have a new library. It opened in the last year or two. I'm not sure of the numbers but I believe that a large donation from a local citizen family paved the way for it the construction. It is one fine building that the residents have every right to be proud of.
Yes they do!... and the town offices / police / fire station don't need updating and are in great shape in my opinion so why spend unnecessary money.

The Gilford Village Field also has four lighted tennis courts, a lighted basketball court, soccer field, two baseball diamonds with dugouts and bleachers, playground, picnic area and bandstand!! So I am not sure why FLL would think Gilford does not have these?????

Dan
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #42
fatlazyless

And, who paid for the new Gilford library? As I recall, it was created with a large donation by a Gilford resident and then there was still some local opposition.

With SB-2, it seems like it is always MUCH more difficult for a town to get big projects like new buildings approved. If Gilford had been a town meeting town, then it's much more likely that a new police station would already have been built.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #43
Barbara

Check out Wolfeboro's historic district if archtecture is an issue.....some wonderful homes.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #44
fatlazyless

In a town like Meredith which has approximately 5600 residents the difference between SB-2 and the annual town meeting vote is indicated by the number of voters who show up and vote. At the Tuesday, 1st week of March annual town meeting with the vote held at about 11-pm, probably a total of 300 voters representing both the nays and the yeas for the show of hands votes will be counted as voting. With SB-2, which is a private paper ballot held from 7-am to 7-pm, the number, the totals from both sides adds up to about 1500-2500 votes depending on the issues.

As one former Meredith selectman used to be fond of saying: "If you want to vote, then show up to the town meeting!"

SB-2 makes it a lot more convenient for people to vote because the hours of voting are more convenient and it is a private paper ballot as opposed to a show of hands at 11-pm.

And for the first time since March of 2009, voters in Meredith will once again have the opportunity to decide between SB-2 and the town meeting for the town and the school. SB-2 passage requires a 60% majority, and it came pretty close during the last two votes in 2009 and 2008 but did not get the needed 60%.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #45
Lucky1

Default Working in Laconia will really be great to help find a home.

Quote:
Charm is for bracelets!!!!
Classic line. Love it.

I think location IS key. We've been talking more about views and that feeling of ahhhh when we arrive home. We'll be looking for that.

The cool thing is that it looks like my partner may be working in Laconia starting in April. She may be up there while I'm still in NJ managing the house and boat sales. Great opportunity to scout.
Perfect!!! She can actually see what others can only describe. These threads start out fine, but somehow they can get hyjacked into the way towns vote etc. Don't get sidetracked. Stick with finding out what you want to be happy. There are always a few people who seldom seem to be happy and offer ideas on what adds to their unhappiness.

The two of you can come up and just look around and visit some of the places that interest you. Be careful about jumping too quickly as we looked for a while before buying and even made a few offers that were not accepted. We loved one home and for some reason thought that it was overpriced as the appraisal did not come up to the asking price. I was in love with that house and would go and look at it all the time. During that time we also had a chance to buy a different house that I could not wait to get out of and race back to the one we loved. The first house has no interest at all to me now as the water frontage is a bit crowded and the beach is not very large. The second house is not well insulated but has a wonderful lot and absolutely gorgeous views. It would have been a great buy but would have needed work. Too much work at that time for sure. In the end the home that was purchased turned out to be just perfect. The house is pretty simple but the lot is hard to beat.

So look for a while and get to know some of the things that make you happy for sure. I don't know how to tell you how to find it, but I just have this feeling that you will know it when you see it.

Last edited by Lucky1; 02-03-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #46
TOAD

Tadpole and I have been looking for 2 years come this spring. Nothing is perfect but being cautious and finding something that really fits you/us is the most important thing. Why rush into something and wind up with with unanticipated problems?

Have only made an offer on one house so far that was not accepted. Our realtor's frustration level is on the rise but we want things to be right for us when we finally do make the move.

It took us over two years to find our current house here in western Mass. Glad we took our time on this one too. House has been great with no major problems. Only thing we have had to do in 17 years is side it and replacement windows. No real biggies when you consider we have been here over 17 years.

Good luck in your search. Wanna place a bet on who finds/gets a house first?
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote