Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #1
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,272
Thanks: 1,505
Thanked 939 Times in 589 Posts
Thumbs down Rain

Well there's no shortage of water this year!
I guess it could be worse, like out West.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #2
Woody38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 495
Thanks: 45
Thanked 80 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Unfortunate in that the water cannot be sent to the arid West.

________________________________

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #3
tummyman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 576
Thanks: 120
Thanked 471 Times in 154 Posts
Default

That would probably require a pipeline and pipelines are a no-no these days.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 08:28 AM   #4
Dad207
Member
 
Dad207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Summer home at Echo Shores, Minge Cove; home in Baltimore MD
Posts: 48
Thanks: 87
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Default Rain = Mice

WE had a lot of rain in the summer o 2017, with the result that there was an abundance of food for fast-reproducing rodents: mice especially, all of whom wanted to move indoors in the fall. It will be intersting to see if the same happens this fall.
Dad207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #5
Woody38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 495
Thanks: 45
Thanked 80 Times in 58 Posts
Default pipeline

I am under the impression that it is oil pipelines that are no-no. Not much danger in a leaking water line although it would be made of plastic and not steel. Leaks can still occur.

_________________________________

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #6
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,272
Thanks: 1,505
Thanked 939 Times in 589 Posts
Default

ENOUGH with the rain already! So far this has been the worst July that I can remember.
At least the restaurants and bars are busy, what else is there to do?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #7
Woody38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 495
Thanks: 45
Thanked 80 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Why is that we do not have desalination plants on the west coast. Price.
Definitely but it would be better to have water than no water. Just like high speed rail on the east coast. I remember growing up numerous decades ago that it was said that was too expensive. The price then was somewhere around hundreds of thousands (possibly $600-700 thousand) Don't quote me on the figures. Today the cost would be maybe in the billions. Should have done it way back when.

_____________________________________

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #8
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,608
Thanks: 1,083
Thanked 1,477 Times in 888 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
ENOUGH with the rain already! So far this has been the worst July that I can remember.
At least the restaurants and bars are busy, what else is there to do?
We've been doing everything normal, with just a bit more attention paid to timing. For example, I went hiking with a friend Thursday AM and took the ski out Thursday night. Wednesday, when it was raining, I did some shopping for firearms accessories, watched Braveheart, and read a book (I'm on #7 since school ended!). Yesterday, with the clear and calm night, we had a campfire.

It's definitely not been as easy as it was last summer, but living in the area makes it soooo much easier to get out when able rather than when necessary.

Maybe you should set up a forum dining out event for the next rainy afternoon!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #9
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 1,093
Thanks: 569
Thanked 390 Times in 240 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
I am under the impression that it is oil pipelines that are no-no. Not much danger in a leaking water line although it would be made of plastic and not steel. Leaks can still occur.

_________________________________

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Not much danger of leaking oil in a modern pipeline, oil is far to valuable to to let it just leak.

Pipeline protests are mostly political and easily resolved if the parties were honest and actually tried to remedy the concern.

Too many want to badmouth oil pipelines but the alternatives are far less safe. Shipping and trucking oil is not better.

Its you dont want pipelines, then start the process of reducing oil consumption by stopping buying medicines, anything with chemicals, and all plastics.

Yet another matter where the public operates under a grossly false premise.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #10
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,662
Thanks: 51
Thanked 572 Times in 366 Posts
Default

Thoughts on rain...

https://youtu.be/cK5G8fPmWeA
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #11
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,148
Thanks: 137
Thanked 397 Times in 258 Posts
Default Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
ENOUGH with the rain already! So far this has been the worst July that I can remember.
At least the restaurants and bars are busy, what else is there to do?
Smoke cigars between the rain drops


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #12
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,608
Thanks: 1,083
Thanked 1,477 Times in 888 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Not much danger of leaking oil in a modern pipeline, oil is far to valuable to to let it just leak.

Pipeline protests are mostly political and easily resolved if the parties were honest and actually tried to remedy the concern.

Too many want to badmouth oil pipelines but the alternatives are far less safe. Shipping and trucking oil is not better.

Its you dont want pipelines, then start the process of reducing oil consumption by stopping buying medicines, anything with chemicals, and all plastics.

Yet another matter where the public operates under a grossly false premise.
Ummm...I gotta ask what you consider danger. Do the 380,000 gallon leak in January or the Gulf of Mexico on fire a couple weeks ago not count?

https://thehill.com/policy/equilibri...-pipeline-leak

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #13
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,272
Thanks: 1,505
Thanked 939 Times in 589 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Smoke cigars between the rain drops


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The house across the street from me, which just went under agreement, had her new septic system hydro seeded a couple weeks ago. It already needs to be mowed.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #14
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,148
Thanks: 137
Thanked 397 Times in 258 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
The house across the street from me, which just went under agreement, had her new septic system hydro seeded a couple weeks ago. It already needs to be mowed.
Everyone’s grass is looking fine for this time of year


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #15
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,546
Thanks: 829
Thanked 663 Times in 402 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Not much danger of leaking oil in a modern pipeline, oil is far to valuable to to let it just leak.

Pipeline protests are mostly political and easily resolved if the parties were honest and actually tried to remedy the concern.

Too many want to badmouth oil pipelines but the alternatives are far less safe. Shipping and trucking oil is not better.

Its you dont want pipelines, then start the process of reducing oil consumption by stopping buying medicines, anything with chemicals, and all plastics.

Yet another matter where the public operates under a grossly false premise.
You left out people not liking pipelines because they believe we should be reducing our reliance on fossil fuels. There are plenty of good reasons for this, pick one--climate change, pollution in general, reliance on a system heavily influenced by people who do not share our values, such as OPEC and Russia
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #16
Winilyme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ice in = CT / Ice out = Winnipesaukee
Posts: 288
Thanks: 75
Thanked 196 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
We've been doing everything normal, with just a bit more attention paid to timing. For example, I went hiking with a friend Thursday AM and took the ski out Thursday night. Wednesday, when it was raining, I did some shopping for firearms accessories, watched Braveheart, and read a book (I'm on #7 since school ended!). Yesterday, with the clear and calm night, we had a campfire.

It's definitely not been as easy as it was last summer, but living in the area makes it soooo much easier to get out when able rather than when necessary.

Maybe you should set up a forum dining out event for the next rainy afternoon!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I'm with Biggd though for me, it's more about the timing of the rain than anything else - and the much cooler than normal temperatures. Too many days in the 60s and 70s; so few in the 80s and 90s. Think...you are fortunate to have the summer off (at least it sounds like that's the case). Most don't have that option and, like me, desperately want the weekends to be nice so we can enjoy the limited seasonal time we have here.

I believe July 21 or thereabouts is the average warmest day of the year - 83 or 84. According to the Weather Channel, in July so far, we've had no days in the 90s, 3 in the 80s, 9 in the 70s, 3 in the 60s, and one in the 50s. Also, 12 of those days were (at least somewhat) rainy. I know only too well as I took July 1 - 11 off. We had five days with reasonable sun and another five were soakers. I would have aborted those days if I could have. Finally, to pile on, the forecast for the next two weeks is for all days to be in the mid-70s with one loner in the 80s.

Gloom, despair and agony on me
Deep dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair and agony on me
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:38 PM   #17
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 1,189
Thanks: 415
Thanked 502 Times in 245 Posts
Default Third wettest July in Boston history...

Less than 2" to beat the #1. It's only the 17th and heavy rain is in the forecast.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/07...orded-history/
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:14 AM   #18
mswlogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 436
Thanks: 142
Thanked 169 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Just imagine if this was Winter !!!

BTW, part the reason for the crazy weather is that with the polar warming it has caused the jet stream to SLOW down.

So we generally can get the similar weather events we normally do but we can get stuck in much longer patterns more often. That's why one year we are in a drought and soaked the next.

https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west...bal--weirding-

You know the old saying, for New England Weather, if you don't like it wait a few minutes. Well, that's broken.

At least the loons are happy with the lower boater activity.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:22 AM   #19
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,608
Thanks: 1,083
Thanked 1,477 Times in 888 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
I'm with Biggd though for me, it's more about the timing of the rain than anything else - and the much cooler than normal temperatures. Too many days in the 60s and 70s; so few in the 80s and 90s. Think...you are fortunate to have the summer off (at least it sounds like that's the case). Most don't have that option and, like me, desperately want the weekends to be nice so we can enjoy the limited seasonal time we have here.

I believe July 21 or thereabouts is the average warmest day of the year - 83 or 84. According to the Weather Channel, in July so far, we've had no days in the 90s, 3 in the 80s, 9 in the 70s, 3 in the 60s, and one in the 50s. Also, 12 of those days were (at least somewhat) rainy. I know only too well as I took July 1 - 11 off. We had five days with reasonable sun and another five were soakers. I would have aborted those days if I could have. Finally, to pile on, the forecast for the next two weeks is for all days to be in the mid-70s with one loner in the 80s.

Gloom, despair and agony on me

Deep dark depression, excessive misery

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all

Gloom, despair and agony on me
Oh, I totally get it, but as an eternal optimist, I always seek the good. For example, my son had a fishing tournament yesterday (he came in first!), and it was up to me to bring him because dear wife was sick.

Bringing him means waiting around for the 8.5 hours, butttt it was at Moore Dam in Littleton, so I hit Polly's Pancakes, stopped by the iron furnace, got a couple hours of hiking in at Artist's Bluff/Bald Peak, drove some Franconia/Littleton back roads, walked a covered bridge and sat by a river, had lunch and a nap under a sheltered picnic table at the Littleton welcome area, read a bit, spent time chatting with an 89-year-old lifetime resident of "the hills," saw my son's first winning weigh-in, grabbed some candy at the longest candy counter in the world and a pizza next door, came home and had some celebratory cupcakes.

Yesterday was my birthday, and I spent it mostly alone on a cool, rainy day in New Hampshire...and it was MAGNIFICENT. Perspective matters.

I hope you feel better, friend, and that we get some warm weather soon for all of our sakes!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-18-2021), Lakegeezer (07-18-2021), magicrobotmonkey (07-19-2021), SAMIAM (07-18-2021), TheTimeTraveler (07-18-2021), Winilyme (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 07:16 AM   #20
Winilyme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ice in = CT / Ice out = Winnipesaukee
Posts: 288
Thanks: 75
Thanked 196 Times in 99 Posts
Default

LOL. I did paperwork and went to the dump.

Appreciate the reminder on living life to the fullest. Even with all the rain, I have much to be thankful for.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #21
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,148
Thanks: 137
Thanked 397 Times in 258 Posts
Default

And it’s raining again


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #22
winniwannabe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 74
Thanks: 66
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I feel bad for the pets who looove to be outside up here. Woof!
winniwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #23
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,272
Thanks: 1,505
Thanked 939 Times in 589 Posts
Default

I feel August is going to be a brutal bug month but I hope I'm wrong.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #24
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 612
Thanks: 189
Thanked 189 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Because of the bad weather the storm has been cancelled.

We should be so lucky this year!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:33 AM   #25
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,608
Thanks: 1,083
Thanked 1,477 Times in 888 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I feel August is going to be a brutal bug month but I hope I'm wrong.
When the rain let up last night, the mosquitoes were unbearable—first time in a while I remember being forced onto my screen porch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:21 AM   #26
mswlogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 436
Thanks: 142
Thanked 169 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Oh, I totally get it, but as an eternal optimist, I always seek the good. For example, my son had a fishing tournament yesterday (he came in first!), and it was up to me to bring him because dear wife was sick.

Bringing him means waiting around for the 8.5 hours, butttt it was at Moore Dam in Littleton, so I hit Polly's Pancakes, stopped by the iron furnace, got a couple hours of hiking in at Artist's Bluff/Bald Peak, drove some Franconia/Littleton back roads, walked a covered bridge and sat by a river, had lunch and a nap under a sheltered picnic table at the Littleton welcome area, read a bit, spent time chatting with an 89-year-old lifetime resident of "the hills," saw my son's first winning weigh-in, grabbed some candy at the longest candy counter in the world and a pizza next door, came home and had some celebratory cupcakes.

Yesterday was my birthday, and I spent it mostly alone on a cool, rainy day in New Hampshire...and it was MAGNIFICENT. Perspective matters.

I hope you feel better, friend, and that we get some warm weather soon for all of our sakes!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
We went to Polly’s Sunday too. (always call ahead to put your name on the list)
We save rainy day weekends for a trip to Polly’s

I’ve been getting a ton of projects done on these rainy weekends.
I’m exhausted.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #27
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,272
Thanks: 1,505
Thanked 939 Times in 589 Posts
Default

More heavy rain tomorrow!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:26 PM   #28
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,423
Thanks: 1,486
Thanked 1,565 Times in 791 Posts
Default

Perfect! Full lake is good this year for me![
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #29
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 5,365
Thanks: 1,679
Thanked 655 Times in 465 Posts
Arrow T.S. Henri...

Henri is moving up the US coast, and expected to take a turn to the NW!

Quote:
“A turn toward the northwest is forecast on Friday, followed by an acceleration toward the north and north-northeast Saturday and Sunday. On the forecast track, the center of Henri will remain well offshore the east coast of the United States over the next couple of days but could approach southeastern New England on Sunday,” the NHC said".
Hopefully, Henri's center will miss the Lakes Region, but it's effects will be felt anyway.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.29187 seconds